What did you dislike about the Prequel Trilogy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
I searched for a thread of that kind and didn't find any, though, admittedly, I wasn't exactly sure what to look for.

Anyways, I rewatched the PT recently and remember better what I disliked about them. I don't think they are horrible movies, they are okay, but they have this horrible aftertaste that I couldn't quite pinpoint, so I thought I'll let you guys help me. Just tell about what specific scenes, what dialouge, what ideas, what actions you didn't like and for what reasons. May it be something small and insignificant, or even something major. I'll start with a few things.

I really disliked the portrayal of Boba Fett as a child. He seemed extremely annoying and some of his dialouge just didn't fit with how the situation played out.

I also disliked a lot of Anakin's behaviour and dialouge with Padme. He was extremely whiny and her reactions were ridiculous. Just didn't draw me in at all.

R2s ridiculous upgrades that he magically seemed to have lost 20 years later is another thing, which just pissed me off.

Padme dying of a broken heart... no expression

Anakin's extremely easy fall to the dark side, which was again pretty idiotic.

The whole Pod Racing scene. Actually, all scenes where children get lame one liners while manouvering about.

Go on, please.

sweersa
I agree on Boba, sorry Daniel Logan...your voice is funny...as well as your lines.

Jake Llyod. (that's all I will say on him)

Jar Jar should have been toned down just a little, maybe with a more serious voice.

I wish Attack of the Clones began showing the bad guys and Count gearing up and such. So we don't randomly see him half way throughout the movie and think WTF is he doing in here?

Better dialogue between Anakin and Padme.

Qui-Gon should have been a ghost in II and III. So his character would be like Ben Kenobi's in the OT.

I wish the PT wasn't bashed as much as it is...really all of the complaints are minor, they don't add up for me and I still love them as much as the OT. As time goes by people will begin to not complain as much.

That's it for me.

Jack Daniels
I pretty much agree

Ushgarak
I'm one of those who defend the PT quite strongly, but of course I have complaints. These are two fold:

1. Poor conceptual explanation. GL has lots of good and interesting ideas about the concept of Balance, the Living vs. Cosmic Force, the Prophecy, the problem of attachment and how love casn be a BAD thing, and even the midichlorians... and then promptly doesn't bother explaining any of them on-screen so that you have to check his interviews to know what he was talking about and meanwhile we are left with an understandable amount of fans who therefore read all these things the wrong way, from the "Doesn't balance mean good and evil are the same strength?" crowd to the "He's changed the Force into just a bunch of bacteria!" crowd, neither of which are at all true but you can see why people think it.

2. Too much plot. The original films did well on a three 'planet' formula- Tatooine/DeathStar/Yavin, Hoth/Dagobah/Bespin and Tatooine/Endor/Death Star, with maybe the odd small distraction like the asteroid field or Dagobah re-visit.

TPM immediately ran into some problems by going in a circle- Naboo/Tatooine/Coruscant/Naboo again. The thing that struck me at the time is how basically irrelevant Tatooine was to the wider plot. Its only purpose was to introduce Anakin and I an not sure he HAD to come from there, warching the original films. So anyway, TPM felt a little bit flabby.

AOTC is then the worst offender by far, with Coruscant (given some action at last, good start), Naboo AND Kamino, then Tatooine again, AND then Geonosis. You are in trouble already with five planets all trying to get a full bite of the story; ESB showed that two plotlines could be done but not with this kind of attempt at emotional detail. Just about everyone agrees the Naboo scenes were a total waste of time (and a look at the cut scenes shows that GL already junked a load of them out the window, so the original plan had them even longer). AOTC really is the film that feels you are having to rush at a silly speed through things as there is just too much, and meanwhile you beg to be able to get back to Obi-Wan's interesting plotline rather than watching Anakin force-feed Padme with crap cgi fruit slices.

Thank God they blew a load of crap up at the end, even though Mace and the Jedi seem to turn up about 30 minutes ahead of their massive army simply so they could get a lot of Jedi killed and be dramatically rescued. Oh well.

Then Revenge of the Sith... which actually I think does rather well, with only Kashyyk being literally surplus to requirements and they didn't waste too much time there. So actually ROTS gets a big pass from me.

However, none of the PT are actively broken like ROTJ was, so they are still better than that.

queeq
AOTC is my biggest disappointment really. I thought TPM fairly boring at first with all the taxation and senate stuff. Lucas really overestimated how interesting that was. But AOTC has basically no crucial plotline that drives the story of the Skywalker-family forward.

One of the things I always liked about AOTC was the wonderful plot Palpy had for taking over the universe. But it's left hanging out tehre and I doubt many people saw it (i.e. through Dooku Palpy gets all the major ecocnimical factions together - banking clan, techno union, trade federation etc - so when the clones do come into action they will destroy much of the universe's economical power thus leaving the way wide open to Palpy... genius). If Lucas had ditched the Naboo scenes, and made OB1's detective story into a proper detetctive story from Kamino dart, to Geonosis to finding out the major plot) than something wmight have happened in AOTC. Other than that it's all just shooting, fighting and what have ya. THe only two elements we get is: Clones are being made and angry Anakin&Padme fall in love... well, that's not much for a film of almost 2,5 hours.

sweersa
Good posts guys.

I also forgot to mention the whole syphadias thing. Revenge of the Sith NEVER explained that. I am sure the EU has...but if it was in a movie, I wish it would have been more clear.

Bardock42
Just remembered one piece of dialouge.

Obi Wan: "The Chancellor is evil"
Anaking "From my point of view the Jedi are evil"

Just didn't fit, imo. And the way he said it just sounded incredibly awkward.

sweersa
Originally posted by Bardock42

LOL I totally agree with you. My friend told me when he was watching ROTS he paused the movie right after Anakin delivered that line because he was sort of shocked in a way...it really makes no sense.

queeq
Not only that. The delivery was awful as well. I wonder if this was Hayden trying out his Darth vader voice again.... *sigh*

jalek moye

i like what he was trying to say but it could have been said better

Jaeh.is.Awesome
exactly.

nice points.

I'm going to have to say that i'm not fond of some of the love scenes between Anakin and Padme... some feel awkward.

sweersa
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
exactly.

nice points.

I'm going to have to say that i'm not fond of some of the love scenes between Anakin and Padme... some feel awkward.

I agree, I wonder how Padme felt. lol

steverules
Jar Jar Binks

Young boba who was a total pussy

Ahsoka Tano
Not enough whining by Anikan.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Ep 2- too much going on.

Padme dying of heartbreak was sort of... anticlimatic.

Anakin whines too much- and its not the good kind of whining either. its the annoying kind of whining.

that fart joke. what was that alien-thingy again which farted? meh. that was kinda stupid- especially jarjar's reaction, IMHO.

TPM seemed halfway between made for kids, made for adults and just plain... er, weird? stupid?

AOTC was too cheesy for me.

ROTS... can't think of any good reason for now.

steverules
Padme dying because she lost the will to live in ep.3 was just aloada bull...I mean I know we're meant to believe that Ani and Padme are deeply in love but her dying because she lost the will to live because Ani broke her heart is just...stupid.

sweersa
Originally posted by steverules
Padme dying because she lost the will to live in ep.3 was just aloada bull...I mean I know we're meant to believe that Ani and Padme are deeply in love but her dying because she lost the will to live because Ani broke her heart is just...stupid.

Happens.

Master Crimzon
Yeah, it was like they were too chicken to let Anakin actually kill her. The irony would be better, the ending more satisfying.

Lord Knightfa11
i hated the fact that there wasnt any cheese in it.

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
i hated the fact that there wasnt any cheese in it.

Wrong movie/trilogy I assume.

The cheese factor was high in the prequels.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by Ahsoka Tano
Wrong movie/trilogy I assume.

The cheese factor was high in the prequels.

too much, even.

sweersa
Party poopers...

Gideon
Does anyone else actually skip the podracing scenes in TPM? Btw, I loved Liam Neeson in that movie.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Gideon
Does anyone else actually skip the podracing scenes in TPM? Btw, I loved Liam Neeson in that movie.

The real question is:
Does anyone else actually watch TPM nowadays?

And the answer is no.

sweersa

i loved it.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
The real question is:
Does anyone else actually watch TPM nowadays?

And the answer is no.

I do, actually.

setting aside from fangirl-crazy reasons, i just enjoy liam neeson's acting, the pod-racing wasn't all bad, and the duel with darth maul is one of my favorites.

some parts are just annoying, but it's not all that bad.

Lord Knightfa11

some parts are just annoying,

And do you see him hitting on the queen, although hes just 9, and shes 14?

Jaeh.is.Awesome

one of those annoying things.

ESP07

Every time.....LOL. If they didnt kill him off, I would have loved to have seen Qui Gon in the rest of the movies. He was the coolest character in my opinion. Much like Obi Wan in the originals.

vintageSW77
Itd be quicker to say what i liked about the PT than disliked

Christopher Lee when its actually Mr Lee and not some ****ed up cgi hybrid
Ray Park
Neeson
Ian Mcdiarmid in the first two flicks
More Slave 1
The last shot on the Death Star
the Duel Of The Fates theme
and the noise that dragon thingy made in ROTS

thats it

Its 3 years since the last flick and nearly 10 since TPM was released and thats all i can come up with and thats a ****ing shame.

Its just Uwe Boll with a bigger budget and cast.
Terrible,terrible,terrible.

sweersa
A lot of this is based on opinion really. I think Lucas should have taken a lot more takes on the scenes as some just don't really fall into the same category as the best ones in the PT. It is as if they rushed filming at some points. Sometimes you can't even really understand what the actors are saying, like Padme at the end of ROTS when she said something about good in Anakin...I needed subtitles to get that out of her..lol.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by vintageSW77
and the noise that dragon thingy made in ROTS

If you mean that thing obi-wan was riding that damn thing annoyed the hell out of me...lol...I woulda had to get one of those no barking shock collars for that..lol

sweersa
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
l...I woulda had to get one of those no barking shock collars for that..lol

Hahaha! That is hilarious.

I thought the noise was interesting, it didn't bother me though...it kinda sounds like a dog yelping.

Bardock42
Does anyone else actually skip the podracing scenes in TPM? Btw, I loved Liam Neeson in that movie. If I watch it again, I will. Too dull. And too much little children talking.

Originally posted by sweersa
Hahaha! That is hilarious.

I thought the noise was interesting, it didn't bother me though...it kinda sounds like a dog yelping. It sounded more like some sea creature to me....maybe a baby seal when you club it.

Yah, he's probably gonna marry her someday

queeq
I liked TPM a lot better after seeing ROTS actually... that movie really showed the total uselesness of AOTC. TPM actually made sense in comparison to EPII.

Master Crimzon
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the podracing, either.

And, Vintage, why the prequel basher-ness? Give 'em some love.

Lord Knightfa11
So a really crappy annoying movie made an even more crappy annoying emo movie make more sense, so you like the really crappy annoying movie better then an ok movie? this makes no sense.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
So a really crappy annoying movie made an even more crappy annoying emo movie make more sense, so you like the really crappy annoying movie better then an ok movie? this makes no sense.

you make no sense, too.

Ahsoka Tano
you make no sense, too.

No, it does.

He's a member of Queeq's KOROVA BLUE MILK BAR.

haermm

sweersa

It sounded more like some sea creature to me....maybe a baby seal when you club it.

Hahaha.

I didn't think AOTC was useless.

Bardock42
Hahaha.

I didn't think AOTC was useless. Neither do I.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
And, Vintage, why the prequel basher-ness? Give 'em some love.

nope

and i said it before but the only thing of note in AOTC was Padmes bottom in that white jumpsuit
if i would have thought in 83 that the journey of Vaders crossing to the darkside would have been upstaged by a bottom i would have choked on my curly wurly

Master Crimzon
nope

and i said it before but the only thing of note in AOTC was Padmes bottom in that white jumpsuit
if i would have thought in 83 that the journey of Vaders crossing to the darkside would have been upstaged by a bottom i would have choked on my curly wurly

Alright, Vintage. You're the third person I'm going to pull off the "Why do you hate the prequels' stunt with.

Now then, please, give me actual reasons why you hate the PT- not just the typical "They prequels suck ass! George Lucas is a talentless, gold-digging b*tch! I have my childhood raped!" thing.

If you give me logical reasons as to why you hate the PT, I'll 'debate' with you on 'em. I'm curious as to why the prequels are so hated.

sweersa
Alright, Vintage. You're the third person I'm going to pull off the "Why do you hate the prequels' stunt with.

Now then, please, give me actual reasons why you hate the PT- not just the typical "They prequels suck ass! George Lucas is a talentless, gold-digging b*tch! I have my childhood raped!" thing.

If you give me logical reasons as to why you hate the PT, I'll 'debate' with you on 'em. I'm curious as to why the prequels are so hated.

A lot of people grew up with the OT. Everybody had what they thought of the PT in their minds already set in stone. No matter how the Prequels were done it would never be possible for them to be made according to all of the fan's idea of what they wanted the Prequels like.

Thus a lot of people do not like them. I am sure in the future the PT will age well once we put some of its obvious flaws aside. (I don't let them get to me, I don't let little things ruin good movies.)

I was a kid when the OT Special Editions came out, and then soon after when the PT kicked off..I love all of the Star Wars movies equally.

Don't hate TPM just becuase of Jar Jar and Llyod.

The PT and OT are very different in many ways...different time, story, technology, etc. The differences in some ways seperate some fans...but just becuase you don't like something doesn't mean it is bad.

Elite Hunter
A lot of people grew up with the OT. Everybody had what they thought of the PT in their minds already set in stone. No matter how the Prequels were done it would never be possible for them to be made according to all of the fan's idea of what they wanted the Prequels like.

I actually agree with this statement imo there is a sort of a "changing of the guard" happening with sw fans.

But he must have been smoking something when he came up with Jar Jar though.

sweersa
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
I actually agree with this statement imo there is a sort of a "changing of the guard" happening with sw fans.

Yeah, I just think Jar Jar would have been better if he was toned down a little and didn't speak in high pitched Ebonics.

Master Crimzon
Sweersa, you're right again. Still, I want to hear Vintage's reasoning, as most bashers don't actually admit to hating the prequels because of what you said.

Originally posted by Elite Hunter

E-eheh, what are you t-alking about? laughing out loud I mean, there's no way George Lucas would be smokin' or sumthin, right..? I mean, he would agree to s-supply him?

Shit, they're on to me...

sweersa
Sweersa, you're right again. Still, I want to hear Vintage's reasoning, as most bashers don't actually admit to hating the prequels because of what you said.

Shit, they're on to me...

I am always right. Hahaha.

We all have our unique tastes. I hate some movies that are very popular, I could list a few, but no need. Everybody is different, thus we have our own opinions and views on films.

vintageSW77
im so tired of stating why i hated the prequels and having deluded SW fans who need to take a step back asking me why i hate the prequels
its been nearly 10 years on here and other forums
ive said pretty much all i can and it pains me just to type this little contribution to this never ending saga

in a very small nutshell the prequels had no heart,no soul,were a wasted oportunity and were a very painful experiance for a lot of long time fans and some not so long
i could type a hundred thousand worded post on why i hated the first 20 mins of TPM alone
sure there are a couple of good things in the PT but they amount to about 20 mins screen time out of nearly 8 hours

i cannot be arsed anymore hence my lack of contributions to the prequels forums since 2005
i just dont care for anything Star Wars post 1983 nowadays and that was cemented by my watching of the kids "product" 2 weeks ago
i dont know what Star Wars is anymore
it certainly isnt the Star Wars i was blown away by

and thats all your getting

sweersa
im so tired of stating why i hated the prequels and having deluded SW fans who need to take a step back asking me why i hate the prequels
ive said pretty much all i can and it pains me just to type this little contribution to this never ending saga

in a very small nutshell the prequels had no heart,no soul,were a wasted oportunity and were a very painful experiance for a lot of long time fans and some not so long
i could type a hundred thousand worded post on why i hated the first 20 mins of TPM alone
sure there are a couple of good things in the PT but they amount to about 20 mins screen time out of nearly 8 hours

i cannot be arsed anymore hence my lack of contributions to the prequels forums since 2005
i just dont care for anything Star Wars post 1983 nowadays and that was cemented by my watching of the kids "product" 2 weeks ago

I like the Prequels but what did you think of the new Indy movie? That disappointed me.

Jack Daniels
bummer worth renting?

vintageSW77
I like the Prequels but what did you think of the new Indy movie? That disappointed me.

Iit was a mess much like the PT and left me praying that Lucas never changes his mind about returning to Luke,Leia and Han.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
i don't think it's really "I hate the prequels!" per se, there's just flaws that peeps spot with the prequels because people compare them to the sequels....

anyway, i think the prequels were kinda good, i could just point out stuff i didn't like about it... all things could use some improvement, don't you think?

the indy movie disappointed me, too... it just wasn't... just wasn't Indy.

Master Crimzon
Indy disappointed me, too. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great, either. It wasn't even in my top 3 or 4 movies of this summer, and that's sad.

Thank you, Vintage, for your superb, logical, and objective reasonings!

Man, I understand you may not like the prequels as much as the originals, but honestly, will you please give me honest reasons instead of the typical "It had no heart!!! No soul!!!" excuse. Really, RotS is perhaps the movie most packed with humane and powerful emotions. You don't think so? Tell me why not. Or, you know what, don't bother, because I know what it will be- "Lame acting!!! Horrible dialogue!!! Darth Vader de-mystified!!! ".

Yeah. We all know the Originals were purrrfect! Empire has the bestest acting ever and the bestest dialogue and the most intelligent scenes and the best villains and the best characters and the best EVER!!!

So much for 'deluded' SW fans asking for your reasonings, eh?

And now. Is there any person in this thread under the age of 20 who thinks the prequels suck balls?

sweersa
Iit was a mess much like the PT and left me praying that Lucas never changes his mind about returning to Luke,Leia and Han.

I totally agree. In fact when my friends and I were walking to the car I told them. "You know..now I hope George never makes 7, 8, and 9." But I really don't know...if they were anything like Indy 4 with Shia and such I wouldn't like them. I saw a recent interview with Ford and he says he wouldn't want to return as Solo...I think Ford is a bit of a jerk today...he seems stuck up.

bummer worth renting?

I would say it is worth watching. I need to see it again to get a more clear opinion I think.

Elite Hunter
I'm telling you its all about the time gap. In a few years when the new sw fans that are being spoiled with sw games like TFU out they will probably like PT more then the older fans of today like it.

Master Crimzon
Yes, probably.

sweersa
I agree. I believe they will age well. I am a younger fan and I love the Prequels as much as the OT.

Lord Knightfa11
I'm going to edit the pt so that I like it better. This means tpm anakin will have a debut of 4 seconds in my movie, and it will only show him flying (no dialogue). Jar Jar will only get vital storyline scenes, and there will be less footage of emo stalkerboy anakin in aotc.

sweersa
I'm going to edit the pt so that I like it better. This means tpm anakin will have a debut of 4 seconds in my movie, and it will only show him flying (no dialogue). Jar Jar will only get vital storyline scenes, and there will be less footage of emo stalkerboy anakin in aotc.

Emo Anakin? I mean, what did you expect evil Darth Vader to be like in his teens? A college prep?

Lord Knightfa11
no, but less crybaby, more evil kickass.

Ahsoka Tano
Emo Anakin? I mean, what did you expect evil Darth Vader to be like in his teens? A college prep?

I was hoping Anakin would turn into Venom. Boy was I wrong .. He turned into a big pussy, instead.

Lord Knightfa11
Kind of. I wanted him to be like maul kind of, not like the angry Brittany spears fanboy.

ANAKINS A HUMAN!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWSjUe0FyxQ

vintageSW77
RotS is perhaps the movie most packed with humane and powerful emotions

well without good direction and poor acting that doesnt really work
ROTS failed miserably in the 3 most important areas-
acting
dialogue
direction
and it proved once and for all that Ahmed Best wasnt the only bad thing in the PT

emotional??
who we caring about?
Anakin?
Jet Lucas?
Padme?
i was more concerned for R4 and the dragon creature that copped it to be honest

its a given that despite the odd painful moment the acting,dialogue and direction in the OT is far superior to the PT
and i think Warwick Davies gave a better performamce than Hayden C

even under a teddy bear suit

sweersa
acting
dialogue
direction
and it proved once and for all that Ahmed Best wasnt the only bad thing in the PT

emotional??
who we caring about?
Anakin?
Jet Lucas?
Padme?

its a given that despite the odd painful moment the acting,dialogue and direction in the OT is far superior to the PT

I liked the Direction of ROTS...I thought the shots looked and flowed very well. I think some of the poor acting is due to some difficult or unnatural script lines though. What looks good on paper may not sound good spoken. Of course I haven't seen Hayden in any other movie...is he always like that?

vintageSW77
I liked the Direction of ROTS...I thought the shots looked and flowed very well.

what about the stuff on the big ship at the start of the flick
that was so badly edited it made the first 20 mins of TPM look oscar worthy

Master Crimzon
acting
dialogue
direction

emotional??
who we caring about?
Anakin?
Jet Lucas?
Padme?

O-kay. You have to understand, the story and tragedy of RotS is not just the tragedy of Anakin; it's the tragedy of all the people surrounding him, including the very likeable Obi-Wan and Yoda. What are you going to say now? Ewan McGregor sucked and CG Yoda looks stupid? Even Portman and Christensen weren't -that- bad in RotS. Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz with both great, and Ian McDiarmid was brilliant.

Honestly, I don't get what you're problem with the direction. It was quite brilliant, actually; the first 20 minutes are hailed by not only myself, but by the majority of critics as a superb action sequence.

Stop nitpicking with the dialogue. Some may sound lame, but outside the love scenes, it works fine; it feels sharper and tighter than most SW lines.

Let me guess, you also hate the duels, right?

Bardock42
O-kay. You have to understand, the story and tragedy of RotS is not just the tragedy of Anakin; it's the tragedy of all the people surrounding him, including the very likeable Obi-Wan and Yoda. What are you going to say now? Ewan McGregor sucked and CG Yoda looks stupid? Even Portman and Christensen weren't -that- bad in RotS. Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz with both great, and Ian McDiarmid was brilliant.

Honestly, I don't get what you're problem with the direction. It was quite brilliant, actually; the first 20 minutes are hailed by not only myself, but by the majority of critics as a superb action sequence.

Stop nitpicking with the dialogue. Some may sound lame, but outside the love scenes, it works fine; it feels sharper and tighter than most SW lines.

Let me guess, you also hate the duels, right? You must understand that sad music and a wanker crying doesn't make an actual deep and emotional movie.

Master Crimzon
You must understand that sad music and a wanker crying doesn't make an actual deep and emotional movie.

I do. There's more than that, though.

Bardock42
I do. There's more than that, though. It's not bad. It's certainly my favourite of the PT. But it is not "perhaps the movie most packed with humane and powerful emotions." ... not even of the Star Wars movies.

Master Crimzon
It's not bad. It's certainly my favourite of the PT. But it is not "perhaps the movie most packed with humane and powerful emotions." ... not even of the Star Wars movies.

Oh, certainly not of all movies. But in the realm of Star Wars, it's top tier, honestly. Do you have a movie with more humane and powerful emotions in Star Wars? When you answer, explain why, please.

Bardock42
Oh, certainly not of all movies. But in the realm of Star Wars, it's top tier, honestly. Do you have a movie with more humane and powerful emotions in Star Wars? When you answer, explain why, please. ESB...

Ends on an extremely dramatic note and it happens to people you actually like a lot. One is frozen and brought to a crime boss after the girl admits her love for him. Another deals with the revelation that he is the son of ultimate evil as he views it on top of having to deal with his own dark emotions and the fear of falling (which he then literally does, but that's beside the point)...and then gets his hand cut of by his father. And that's just the ending.

I'd also say ANH, but I figure ESB should be enough.

Master Crimzon
ESB...

Ends on an extremely dramatic note and it happens to people you actually like a lot. One is frozen and brought to a crime boss after the girl admits her love for him. Another deals with the revelation that he is the son of ultimate evil as he views it on top of having to deal with his own dark emotions and the fear of falling (which he then literally does, but that's beside the point)...and then gets his hand cut of by his father. And that's just the ending.

I'd also say ANH, but I figure ESB should be enough.

Ending of RotS:

The main character of the series is graphically burned in front of the audience, after he screams his undying hatred for Obi-Wan, one of the more popular characters of the entire franchise, who departs in tears. Said hero's wife dies tragically, and Yoda is forced to cope with his own failure and the devastation of the Jedi Order. Likeable characters die on screen, as the previously loyal clone troopers turn on their masters, shooting them. Evil triumphs.

Yeah, I think that's better than ESB. But that's just me. Your opinion is certainly the more popular one, in any case.

sweersa
what about the stuff on the big ship at the start of the flick
that was so badly edited it made the first 20 mins of TPM look oscar worthy

The first really long shot in ROTS was absolutely amazing in my opinion. It looks even better in 720p, the detail of the stuff happening is great. The background is loaded with all sorts of conflicts and the ships flying around look so great. Plus the explosions...I just love it all.

Now i want to watch it again.

Jack Daniels
I guess now that you said that I have to agree my HD input is out on my bigscreen but I did see that on HD in the store I bought my bigscreen at..thats what they were playing at the time made me buy my bigscreen (grr mad my hd inputs dont work any more) but you are right Sweersa that was great!

Bardock42
Ending of RotS:

The main character of the series is graphically burned in front of the audience, after he screams his undying hatred for Obi-Wan, one of the more popular characters of the entire franchise, who departs in tears. Said hero's wife dies tragically, and Yoda is forced to cope with his own failure and the devastation of the Jedi Order. Likeable characters die on screen, as the previously loyal clone troopers turn on their masters, shooting them. Evil triumphs.

Yeah, I think that's better than ESB. But that's just me. Your opinion is certainly the more popular one, in any case. Yeah, I didn't think there was that much human emotion in there at all. Didn't draw me in. Except for Obi Wan's "You were my brother Anakin, etc" ... that was quite powerful. Rest was, meh...

Master Crimzon
Yeah, I didn't think there was that much human emotion in there at all. Didn't draw me in. Except for Obi Wan's "You were my brother Anakin, etc" ... that was quite powerful. Rest was, meh...

Hey, I'm not going to convince you otherwise, so we can just let this discussion die. Lol.

Radar Rider
This is a good discussion that I just happened across, and couldn't resist jumping in with my own opinion.

As a long time Star Wars fan I was profoundly disappointed by the PT. I can respect those trying to defend those movies, but ultimately they just don't hold up when seriously critiqued.

I won't hyperanalyze the details, but suffice it to say George Lucas placed undue priority on CGI and special effects at the expense of storyline and character development. There were plenty of excellent actors in the PT, such as Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Ian McDiarmid, even the oft-maligned Hayden Christiansen did quite well in his non-SW work. But they were hampered by downright dreadful scripting and direction. Their considerable talent was largely wasted.

The core story arc of the trilogy, Anakin's fall to the dark side, was just not carried out in a compelling manner. The final epic duel between him and Obi-Wan felt empty and forced. I always imagined Vader's path to the dark side driven by his ambition and superior mastery of the force, but this passion is totally missing in the PT.

There are definitely moments. Almost all the lightsaber battles are excellent and ROTS is clearly the standout with the betrayal of the Jedi in particular being very well done. However as a whole, and especially in the shadow of the OT, the movies fail. Utterly.

I'll grant that it's not easy to make epic space opera films, especially ones that could live up to the achievements of the OT. But Lucas had the resources and talent available to do it, he just lost sight of the vision. So instead of great we got mediocre. I still feel that I don't know the real story of Anakin Skywalker and the Clone Wars because the PT was just so underwhelming. It's a shame, really.

queeq
Maybe Lucas was just figuring out how to do SW in the 70s, and a lot of people pitched in. The special effects guys, the actors for sure, even the cinematographer chose his own path. It seems a lot people added their individual talents to make their bit work and out came SW, guided by the vision of Lucas.
To me it seems the PT was made in a totally new era. Lucas still had his vision except now he knew exactly how to make it, and with what tools. Maybe some of the freedom in making the OT work was lost, because of a rigid production schedule and a rigid style of directing. Lucas changed from Luke to Palpy in the odd 25 years that seperate the two trilogies.

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
Maybe Lucas was just figuring out how to do SW in the 70s, and a lot of people pitched in. The special effects guys, the actors for sure, even the cinematographer chose his own path. It seems a lot people added their individual talents to make their bit work and out came SW, guided by the vision of Lucas.
To me it seems the PT was made in a totally new era. Lucas still had his vision except now he knew exactly how to make it, and with what tools. Maybe some of the freedom in making the OT work was lost, because of a rigid production schedule and a rigid style of directing. Lucas changed from Luke to Palpy in the odd 25 years that seperate the two trilogies.

I think if the OT was released today (and ended up similar to the OT we know) it wouldn't have done as well becuase today people have higher expectations for movies. Cinema evolves and changes, it doesn't necessarily make it any better than before, but that is entirely up to your own opinion.

vintageSW77
Radar Rider and Queeg have put forward pretty much the same points in their above replies about the PT that i have on here over the years

Heres a controversial view to add to the list of PTs flaws

the Jedi are dull

and as stated elswhere by myself way back
SW isnt really doing it without Vader...and i mean the suited up Vader and not the hooded waterworks version
hes sorely missed from the new Star Wars flicks but obviously that was unavoidable..dur
i know the prequels are his story but the character of suited up Vader for myself IS Star Wars
its a catch 22

queeq
Good point.

I think if the OT was released today (and ended up similar to the OT we know) it wouldn't have done as well becuase today people have higher expectations for movies. Cinema evolves and changes, it doesn't necessarily make it any better than before, but that is entirely up to your own opinion.

Well, any film made in its time makes an impact because of its time. I doubt the Wizard of Oz would even made the theaters these days as it was made in 1939. Does that change the fact that it's WAAAAYYY better than Return to Oz, even though the effects and puppets in the latter are a lot better? No.
I even doubt Gone with the Wind would work in its form. Or even films like Bullit, the French Connection or even The Godfather. Yet. they are all classics that have stood the test of time and made a serious impact on cinematic consciousness due to memorable lines, performances and/or look.

The OT also made such an impact, maybe the biggest of all, it added lines and characters to the general cinematic experience, it's been quoted countless times, Darth Vader and the Force are part of our daily language almost. That was achieved by the three old films.
The PT was released in a time when everything was possible technology wise. Films like The Matrix and LOTR managed to make an impact on cinema using story and effects (although the Matrix doesn't rank too high to me, very OT star Wars really). Frankly, the PT fails to do that. It seems the only thing people remember is maybe JarJar (and only because of the fuss fans made about him) and a very grumpy Anakin... that's a poor result.

Kapton JAC
And the reason that is is that the PT was little more than a corny love story with Jar Jar and lightsabers.

Seriously, I was expecting Anakin and padme to start going

"I love you"
"I love you more"
"No, I love you more"

Then ofcourse Jar Jar would ofcourse have to come in and pull something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvwFoOniz-Q&feature=related

Bardock42
I think if the OT was released today (and ended up similar to the OT we know) it wouldn't have done as well becuase today people have higher expectations for movies. Cinema evolves and changes, it doesn't necessarily make it any better than before, but that is entirely up to your own opinion. Higher expectations in looks, lower in writing and acting.

vintageSW77
Radar Rider and Queeg have put forward pretty much the same points in their above replies about the PT that i have on here over the years

Heres a controversial view to add to the list of PTs flaws

the Jedi are dull

and as stated elswhere by myself way back
SW isnt really doing it without Vader...and i mean the suited up Vader and not the hooded waterworks version
hes sorely missed from the new Star Wars flicks but obviously that was unavoidable..dur
i know the prequels are his story but the character of suited up Vader for myself IS Star Wars
its a catch 22

Apologies for the terrible grammar
it borders on Yoda speak

queeq
We like it though...

sweersa
Good point.

The OT also made such an impact, maybe the biggest of all, it added lines and characters to the general cinematic experience, it's been quoted countless times, Darth Vader and the Force are part of our daily language almost. That was achieved by the three old films.
The PT was released in a time when everything was possible technology wise. Films like The Matrix and LOTR managed to make an impact on cinema using story and effects (although the Matrix doesn't rank too high to me, very OT star Wars really). Frankly, the PT fails to do that. It seems the only thing people remember is maybe JarJar (and only because of the fuss fans made about him) and a very grumpy Anakin... that's a poor result.

Just give the PT time to age like the OT. Already the Prequel section here is way more active that the OT thread, I am not saying that matters but the PT is fresh, it needs time to settle in.

queeq
The PT won't age. I doubt it ranks up there with movies like Blade Runner taht got accepted and liked later on. SW is no cult material. If it isn't up there in public awareness now, it never will.

Lord Knightfa11
its wai up there. some guy said i looked like darth maul today... i was like wtf? howd you get a gf thats hotter than mine, nerd?

sweersa
The PT won't age. I doubt it ranks up there with movies like Blade Runner taht got accepted and liked later on. SW is no cult material. If it isn't up there in public awareness now, it never will.

No one knows what Blade Runner is. But really, give the PT some time, it obviously isn't much of a cult hit given how much money it made and how popular it is. It doesn't need to be a cult hit, it is a franchise and a phenomenon.

I mean just look at all of the sigs and avatars here...loaded with PT stuff. It is happening whether we like it or not.

Just give it some time...and a little patience.

Lord Knightfa11
pt sigs and avvy's? where?

vintageSW77

I mean just look at all of the sigs and avatars here...loaded with PT stuff. It is happening whether we like it or not.

Just give it some time...and a little patience.

thats because long time SW fans have pretty much moved on or given up
the majority of SW fans on forums such as KMC had TPM as their first SW cinematic experiance
hence the avys and sigs

i have a collection of images on youtube and the prequel collections have had far less hits than the OT other than ROTS which has overtook ROTJ and ESB
not by any means conclusive but interesting

Lord Knightfa11
actually, my first star wars experience was when my dad bought me "For those who remember.... for those who will never forget... THE ORIGINAL, ONE LAST TIME!" OT box set. i also saw ANH in 1997 in theaters, and that was my first star wars cinematic experience.(the newer release).

sweersa
actually, my first star wars experience was when my dad bought me "For those who remember.... for those who will never forget... THE ORIGINAL, ONE LAST TIME!" OT box set. i also saw ANH in 1997 in theaters, and that was my first star wars cinematic experience.(the newer release).

Same here, my mom taped most of ANH on TV then they bought me the ANH video.

thats because long time SW fans have pretty much moved on or given up
the majority of SW fans on forums such as KMC had TPM as their first SW cinematic experiance
hence the avys and sigs

i have a collection of images on youtube and the prequel collections have had far less hits than the OT other than ROTS which has overtook ROTJ and ESB
not by any means conclusive but interesting

I actually was into Star Wars before the PT was released...I just barely made it. lol was like 6-7 so I grew up with the OT and the PT. ROTS seems to be the most favored Episode of the OT, which is why it may generate the most hits. Who knows, I personally like ROTS the best next to ANH.

I look at Star Wars as nine er I mean six movies...I love them all and I don't like dogging any of them. All movies have flaws.

queeq
True...

And still, I doubt the PT will ever reah the classic status teh OT had. If it does to some extent, it's mainly due to the OT. It's just not very striking compared to what's out there.

sweersa
True...

And still, I doubt the PT will ever reah the classic status teh OT had. If it does to some extent, it's mainly due to the OT. It's just not very striking compared to what's out there.

The OT obviously paved the way for the PT. We will just have to wait and see.

Lets come back to this thread 20 years from now.

Lord Knightfa11
sweers obviously paved the way for sweers' mom. We will just have to wait and see.

translated.

sweersa
translated.

Very mature.

Hey everyone, lets pretend we are in 5th grade.

Ahsoka Tano
Yoda is about to give me oral sex. Check my signature out

Jbill311

Same here, but my first SW in theaters was The Phantom Menace.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Ahsoka Tano
I was hoping Anakin would turn into gay porn. Boy was I wrong .. He turned into a big pussy, instead. sad

Jack Daniels
Very mature.

Hey everyone, lets pretend we are in 5th grade.
I remember this babe I did in 5th grade...for that age she was stacked!!!plus she could wrap her legs behind her head! after that school next time I saw her she was teaching sunday school...was very akward to see her doing that after all those years later...she still gave me the eye though cool

queeq
Were you drunk again?

Jack Daniels
no no I was there doing a good deed helping in the church kitchen when I finally saw her again..I was sober!! i think?

Lord Knightfa11
ya jack isn't your regular drunkard. he has enough class to sober up before going to church.

Jack Daniels
thanks dude...i think? all this thinkin makes me wanna drink...off to the milk bar beer

sweersa
Wow. Hahahaha.

queeq
ya jack isn't your regular drunkard. he has enough class to sober up before going to church.

Classy.

Jack Daniels
never went to any of the sermons...just helped out cooking and cleaning there...did attend one sunday school class though

Lord Knightfa11
thats cool.

queeq
never went to any of the sermons...just helped out cooking and cleaning there...did attend one sunday school class though

You just dug the chick.

Blinky

sweersa

Blinky
No...did you expect Darth Vader to me some good goody boy or something? He obviously had to have problems in the PT years.

Well I didn't expect him to be a lowly child murderer. Also, my gripe isn't only because the deeds he did (as I pointed out earlier), but the fact that he was a weak-minded, gullible and whinny b*tch. They could have at least made him have a strong mind of his own rather than being eager Palps boy toy. I guess GL should be happy some people swallowed his load.

sweersa
Originally posted by Blinky
Well I didn't expect him to be a lowly child murderer. Also, my gripe isn't only because the deeds he did (as I pointed out earlier), but the fact that he was a weak-minded, gullible and whinny b*tch. They could have at least made him have a strong mind of his own rather than being eager Palps boy toy. I guess GL should be happy some people swallowed his load.

Don't be nasty...We are talking about Anakin...who is Darth Vader. After what you see him do in the OT all of the lowly stuff he does in the PT should be no surprise.

Anakin can't be strong sense he falls for Palpatines tricks. He wants power...he is selfish..full of anger, hate...etc.

This is Darth Vader we are talking about. He has problems. Being a slave for most of your early life, having your mentor (Qui-Gon) killed, being rejected by the Council then thrown in the Jedi Order...then losing his mom...falling in love which is against the Jedi Order, then having a secret life, and then in fear of loosing his wife...I wonder why he didn't do anything worse.

Just put yourself in his shoes in the PT. He had it far worse than rough.

Lord Knightfa11
Well I didn't expect him to be a lowly child murderer. Also, my gripe isn't only because the deeds he did (as I pointed out earlier), but the fact that he was a weak-minded, gullible and whinny b*tch. They could have at least made him have a strong mind of his own rather than being eager Palps boy toy. I guess GL should be happy some people swallowed his load. language please. this is a star wars thread; and a such, there are children.

queeq
The PT shattered the old image of Darth Vader IMO. Did anybody else feel this way?

I would have liked to see a more brutal Vader myself. I'd liked to have seen a story more like the one I got from the OT: Anakin turns to the Dark Side, goes on a more prolonged (than in de PT) rampage against Jedi, shows the pure unreleneted muscle of the Emperor as Anakin helps the Empire grow and from that point OB1 tries one last attempt to turn Anakin to the good side. It's all rather hasty now. The only bad thing we see him do is half-choke Padme (and kill some Neimodians, but they were annoying anyway)... that's not a whole lot.
So Vader became more of a wuss than I felt he was in the OT.

Bardock42
No...did you expect Darth Vader to me some good goody boy or something? He obviously had to have problems in the PT years. Yeah, but you can have mature problems and still be an impressive Jedi ...or...you know...you can go the Emo route.

Don't be nasty...We are talking about Anakin...who is Darth Vader. After what you see him do in the OT all of the lowly stuff he does in the PT should be no surprise.

Anakin can't be strong sense he falls for Palpatines tricks. He wants power...he is selfish..full of anger, hate...etc.

This is Darth Vader we are talking about. He has problems. Being a slave for most of your early life, having your mentor (Qui-Gon) killed, being rejected by the Council then thrown in the Jedi Order...then losing his mom...falling in love which is against the Jedi Order, then having a secret life, and then in fear of loosing his wife...I wonder why he didn't do anything worse.

Just put yourself in his shoes in the PT. He had it far worse than rough. Nah.

sweersa
Yeah, but you can have mature problems and still be an impressive Jedi ...or...you know...you can go the Emo route.

Nah.

No...Anakin basically was an emo kid. Ever hear Kevin Smith's interview about Anakin? He knocks fans like you.

Hahaha.

Bardock42
No...Anakin basically was an emo kid. Ever hear Kevin Smith's interview about Anakin? He knocks fans like you.

Hahaha.

Did you just laugh at a reference to an interview you made yourself? no expression

And no, I did not, maybe you can link it so I can see the error of my ways.

queeq
But we know about them already. wink

sweersa
Did you just laugh at a reference to an interview you made yourself? no expression

And no, I did not, maybe you can link it so I can see the error of my ways.

I am almost positive it is in the Star Wars Empire of Dreams video.

queeq
Proof! We need proof!

Bardock42
I am almost positive it is in the Star Wars Empire of Dreams video. You got a link? I don't actually know what that is. Also, what exactly did he say?

sweersa
Give me some time guys...I am on it.

Sorry, it was on Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed, not Empire of Dreams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Legacy_Revealed

If the link doesn't work copy and paste it into your browser's address bar.

I am downloading it right now off of a torrent site (hehe) and I will transcribe Kevin Smith's bit about Anakin, if I remember correctly it is towards the end.

Blinky
Who gives a sh*t what Kevin Smith says anyways :P .

Bardock42
I think he is quite funny. And can be insightful. I'd be interested to hear what he says.

Blinky
So if Kevin Smith says something like "I think GL did a fuk-tasical job showing the fall of Skywalker, anybody who does not think so is a whinny c*nt", will you nodd your little head? Let's hope not :-/ .

Bardock42
So if Kevin Smith says something like "I think GL did a fuk-tasical job showing the fall of Skywalker, anybody who does not think so is a whinny c*nt", will you nodd your little head? Let's hope not :-/ .

If he says that, I will just have to accept I was wrong. And that the PT is much better than the OT, one of the best movies ever.

sweersa
I found it. I transcribed it word for word. This is by Kevin Smith in Star Wars: A Legacy Revealed. I recommend to all Star Wars fans and especially Prequel haters. Maybe it will knock some sense into you regarding these movies.

Kevin Smith (quote begins in the video around 54:14 in the copy I have ripped from the History Channel): "Some people are like oh he is too whiny, why would the galaxy's greatest villain be some whiny teenager? That's who the galaxy's greatest villain would be! He would start as a whiny teenager, you would start as an emo kid with some issues."

Bardock42
I found it. I transcribed it word for word. This is by Kevin Smith in Star Wars: A Legacy Revealed. I recommend to all Star Wars fans and especially Prequel haters. Maybe it will knock some sense into you regarding these movies.

I doubt it. If all the apologists that run around arguing for the movies can't, some documentary won't probably either. I might watch it though, sounds interesting.

Kevin Smith (quote begins in the video around 54:14 in the copy I have ripped from the History Channel): "Some people are like oh he is too whiny, why would the galaxy's greatest villain be some whiny teenager? That's who the galaxy's greatest villain would be! He would start as a whiny teenager, you would start as an emo kid with some issues."

I'm sorry, I like Kevin Smith, but that's neither funny nor a valid argument. That's just saying "You are wrong, because you are wrong".

sweersa
I doubt it. If all the apologists that run around arguing for the movies can't, some documentary won't probably either. I might watch it though, sounds interesting.

I'm sorry, I like Kevin Smith, but that's neither funny nor a valid argument. That's just saying "You are wrong, because you are wrong".

He has a point. Basically all of the people in high places that talk before and after him have similar points, but way more in depth. Which is why I recommend it. The Prequels really do have a lot of story and go way deeper than critics would like to believe.

The Jar Jar sucks! Or too much CGI! mentality just gets in the way.

Bardock42
He has a point. Basically all of the people in high places that talk before and after him have similar points, but way more in depth. Which is why I recommend it. The Prequels really do have a lot of story and go way deeper than critics would like to believe.

The Jar Jar sucks! Or too much CGI! mentality just gets in the way. Yeah, what about the mutliple other critical complaints voiced in this thread?

Bardock42
List of critique so far:

TPM

Long Pod Racing scene with lots of childish one liners
Jake Lloyd's portrayal of young Anakin
Jar Jar's ridiculousness

AOTC

Portrayal of Boba Fett and horrible dialogue
Late introduction of Count Dooku
No important plot driving the Skywalker story forward
Sifo Dias being mentioned, but not elaborated on

ROTS

Padme dying because of broken heart
Anakin's quick and easy fall to the dark side
"From my point of view the Jedi are evil"

PT

R2's inexplicably vanishing upgrades
Bad dialogue between Padme and Anakin
Qui Gon not being ghost in II and III and just being mentioned
Bad explanation of concepts
Too much plot and scene change in too short of a time
Awkward loce scenes
Anakin whining
Fart joke
Rushed filming
Lack of emotional interest in characters
Bad acting
Focus on CGI over everything else

sweersa
Yeah, what about the mutliple other critical complaints voiced in this thread?

Not worth my time to post my rebuttals again. Just search back in these forums. I get so sick of defending the PT.

I will let time do all of my work.

Bardock42
Not worth my time to post my rebuttals again. Just search back in these forums. I get so sick of defending the PT.

I will let time do all of my work. I don't need you to post rebuttals. I understand you like the PT. I just would ask you to accept that there are multiple reasons not to like them, beyond Jar Jar being irritating.

sweersa
I don't need you to post rebuttals. I understand you like the PT. I just would ask you to accept that there are multiple reasons not to like them, beyond Jar Jar being irritating.

Just like every other movie.

It is all opinions and preferences.

Blinky
List of critique so far:

Very good compiled list, reminds me of why I don't think much of the PT.

sweersa
Very good compiled list, reminds me of why I don't think much of the PT.

Wow. That's all I have to say.

Bardock42
Very good compiled list, reminds me of why I don't think much of the PT. Well, I disagree with some points, others probably disagree with others. It's just the list of arguments brought forth in this thread so far.

I do agree though that I can't imagine that long of a list in movies I find superb. But maybe.

queeq
Just like every other movie.

It is all opinions and preferences.

I had a literature teacher once who said in the first class I took with him, about literature:

"People say that you can't argue about taste. But I disagree, you CAN argue about taste. "

I thought that made a lot of sense, I still do. You're entitled to like crap, but one can still argue it's crap.

Anakin_the_Hutt
I disliked the absense of the whole Sifo-Dyas ordering the clone army issue in ROTS.

sweersa
I had a literature teacher once who said in the first class I took with him, about literature:

"People say that you can't argue about taste. But I disagree, you CAN argue about taste. "

I thought that made a lot of sense, I still do. You're entitled to like crap, but one can still argue it's crap.

Yeah, anyone can argue about anything, but it doesn't justify something being bad or good when it is commonly debated.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Huh?

sweersa
Originally posted by Anakin_the_Hutt
Huh?

What?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.