Next Intelligent Species?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dataflux
So what do you think will be the next evolved species to full sentience after humanity is gone?

I vote for the Meerkats. or even the Squid since hey shown high levels of animal intelligence.

AngryManatee
Zerg

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Dataflux
So what do you think will be the next evolved species to full sentience after humanity is gone?

I vote for the Meerkats. or even the Squid since hey shown high levels of animal intelligence.

That's not really how evolution works. It'll be more like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(Stargate)

inimalist
wink

define sentience

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That's not really how evolution works. It'll be more like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(Stargate)

Sounds like the whole Star Child thing from 2001.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
wink

define sentience

Anything with an IQ stat of 1 or higher. I think he means sapience though (IQ stat of 6 or higher).

http://gamez.biysk.ru/files/gurps4e/4E_GURPS_Basic_Set_-_Characters.pdf

Page 15 wink

Originally posted by AngryManatee
Sounds like the whole Star Child thing from 2001.

More Buddhist/Christian overtones?

AngryManatee
Anything with an IQ stat of 1 or higher. I think he means sapience though (IQ stat of 6 or higher).

Page 15 wink

More Buddhist/Christian overtones?

I read some more about it, and yeah it does sound more like that. I first read the whole "shed their physical bodies and live eternally as pure energy" and was like "omg it's full of stars!" Damn.

inimalist

Page 15 wink

I can't believe I thought that was going to be serious...

I was like: IQ of six? sapience? I am highly skeptical!

stupid openness to new ideas, gets me every time.

Robtard
Cephalopods, 100% guarantee this.

Symmetric Chaos
I can't believe I thought that was going to be serious...

I was like: IQ of six? sapience? I am highly skeptical!

stupid openness to new ideas, gets me every time.

Well I tried to warn you with the phrase "IQ stat". GURPS IQ relates (very roughly) to 1/10 of measured IQ in the real world. Of course it only works up to say IQ 13 because then you start getting to the point where someone could be a CPA and a world renowned Proust scholar without any formal training in either.

Ironically GURPS is very accurate with just about everything else as long as the scale is about the same as in our world.

inimalist
Well I tried to warn you with the phrase "IQ stat". GURPS IQ relates (very roughly) to 1/10 of measured IQ in the real world. Of course it only works up to say IQ 13 because then you start getting to the point where someone could be a CPA and a world renowned Proust scholar without any formal training in either.

Ironically GURPS is very accurate with just about everything else as long as the scale is about the same as in our world.

I'll just stick with my LARPing wink

its super accurate in the real world

Mindship
Originally posted by Robtard
Cephalopods, 100% guarantee this. http://rtc.umn.edu/cfs/Images/IN0-2-G1.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
I'll just stick with my LARPing wink

its super accurate in the real world

But LARPing doesn't give you a safe (or legal) way to test what happens if you try to avoid being killed by a HASAG Panzerfaust 30 by hiding Renault FT17 tank.

RPGs deigned by the anal-retentive are awesome.

Bardock42

Page 15 wink

More Buddhist/Christian overtones? You wouldn't happen to have the Campaings book in a PDF as well, would you? no expression

Nevermind happy

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship
http://rtc.umn.edu/cfs/Images/IN0-2-G1.jpg

I'll be shown to be correct in about 30-40 million years, just you wait.

Mindship
I'll be shown to be correct in about 30-40 million years, just you wait. I don't doubt your prediction in the least. In fact, I bet it'll take less time than that, just as soon as this pesky human cycle is over.

Actually...Originally posted by Dataflux
"Will"? Is the evolution of intelligence so "pre-destined?"

It would be saying something profound, I think, if intelligence did not re-appear, and perhaps epecially if it did.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mindship
I don't doubt your prediction in the least. In fact, I bet it'll take less time than that, just as soon as this pesky human cycle is over.

Actually...
"Will"? Is the evolution of intelligence so "pre-destined?"

It would be saying something profound, I think, if intelligence did not re-appear, and perhaps epecially if it did. Well, in your opinion it can't but be thoroughly profound.

Mindship
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, in your opinion it can't but be thoroughly profound. laughing out loud Aye, laddie...

Symmetric Chaos
You wouldn't happen to have the Campaings book in a PDF as well, would you? no expression

Nevermind happy

I do actually . . .

Bardock42
I do actually . . . It's on the same page. I found it. Thanks though.

Quiero Mota
I'll be shown to be correct in about 30-40 million years, just you wait.

Will they have religion?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Will they have religion? Not if they are intelligent doped

Mindship
Not if they are intelligent doped
The Force is strong with you this eve.

mindbomb
my guess is that humans are going to destroy the planet before any other intelligent species comes up

if that does not happen then i vote squid

lord xyz
Some type of humanoid feline or rodent species.

Or, the current apes we have now will evolve into the next intelligent species.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lord xyz
Some type of humanoid feline or rodent species.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Will they have religion?

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Amaretzu/Mithra26.jpg

Heh, Mithraism.

Tangible God
Dolphins or mice.

Red Nemesis
Pan dimensional hyper intelligent beings?

Burning thought
Humans will be the last intelligent spieces on Earth and the only, since we iwll destroy anything else including the planet before anything comes along.

Red Nemesis
This thread is made of human-centric Taker worldview, and it makes me sad. A brief history of time as told by a jellyfish:
Big Bang-Formation of Solar System- Formation of Earth- Life arises- After millions of years of struggle and evolution, finally, Jellyfish appeared. (paraphrased from Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn)

Humans are neither the 'end product' of evolution, or even finished developing. Intelligence (sentience?) isn't an unavoidable outcome.

This guy had it right:

?

chillmeistergen
Wasps.

Red Nemesis
Badgers

Colossus-Big C
dolphins...

Lord Lucien
Necromancers.

Colossus-Big C
wait will monkeys evolve to humanity in millions of years?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

Not very likely. Monkeys will evolve over those millions of years into whatever fits the niche they are living in.

Autokrat
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

Didn't you get the memo?

http://www.lonelyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/planet.jpg

...wait

inimalist
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Amaretzu/Mithra26.jpg

Heh, Mithraism.

omg I hope so

Depending on how define intelligence or sentience (most undefined and overused term ever) all organisms can be said to have both.

Going by the most common folk definition of intelligence as human-like ability to solve problems and what I take the op meant to be self-awareness, instead of sentience, a lot of other animal species already have those. The chimp and the other great apes being the most obvious ones.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by 753
Depending on how define intelligence or sentience (most undefined and overused term ever) all organisms can be said to have both.

Sentience? Simply having and reacting to senses.

I would say that intelligence is the most vaguely defined word ever.

Sentience? Simply having and reacting to senses.

I would say that intelligence is the most vaguely defined word ever.

Reacting to senses? You mean having senses and reacting to stimulli?
I'd agree, but it might mean experiencing conscient sensations such as pain, a scent or images. It's also used as a synonim of conscience, personhood, self-awareness, sapience, whatever.

Definitions of intelligence certainly are multiple and vague too.

StarCraft2
terran or protoss are the next intelligent species.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Dataflux

that's a long azz time from now. couldn't say. but according to the Kardashev Scale, the next step in human evolution will be a type 1 civilization. we're currently at type 0. we will reach type 1 status around the year 2100 and type 2 status around 11200.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-5570.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

inimalist
Originally posted by 753

Going by the most common folk definition of intelligence as human-like ability to solve problems and what I take the op meant to be self-awareness, instead of sentience, a lot of other animal species already have those. The chimp and the other great apes being the most obvious ones.

huh, i was going to argue, but wiki tells me that sentience is merely processing sensory data...

which makes me wonder about microphones

weird though, i always thought sentience included a measure of self awareness

however, I'd split hairs on the last point you make. few species outside of the great apes have a self concept, at least with studies to see if animals can recognize that it is themselves in a mirror.

Symmetric Chaos
huh, i was going to argue, but wiki tells me that sentience is merely processing sensory data...

I found the same thing, it seemed strange sot I added "and reacting to".

King Castle
these two.

they will form a mutually symbiotic relationship allowing for both to divert certain biological energy for other things like thinking and not just survival and hunting..

it be similar to how early man used and domesticated wolfs.

OVEeaWPmOp4 cool

ADarksideJedi
I believe when we are all gone there will be nothing on this world because the world will be gone.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I believe when we are all gone there will be nothing on this world because the world will be gone. Considering that humans are not nearly as adaptive as lots of insects I disagree.

ADarksideJedi
But what would the reason be for the earth to keep on going on and going on?It makes more sence that one day the world will end and all humans and other stuff will disapear to go reather to heaven or hell or whatever you believe in.

King Castle
facepalm2

i really hope u are right but, come on now... uggh

Parmaniac
It makes more sence that one day the world will end and all humans and other stuff will disapear to go reather to heaven or hell or whatever you believe in. No it doesn't.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by StarCraft2
terran or protoss are the next intelligent species.
Aren't we technically Terrans already? erm

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Parmaniac
No it doesn't.

Then what happens?the world keeps going on and on?it has to stop at some point even the people I had talked to about this who does not believe in God thinks that the world will end one day and then that will be it.

Parmaniac
Then what happens?the world keeps going on and on?it has to stop at some point even the people I had talked to about this who does not believe in God thinks that the world will end one day and then that will be it. Of course it will end but definately not when mankind dies the planet "lived" long before us and he will still do it after us. Someday the sun will get bigger short before it dies and starts to seeth the oceans that's the day all life on earth will die but humans will be long gone before that day imo. Hell someday pretty much everything will end, every star will extinguish and the universe falls into complete darkness.

inimalist
nvm

ADarksideJedi
and what makes you think that is what will happen?

Super Marie 64
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Aren't we technically Terrans already? erm

Yes. We are Terran already.

Parmaniac
and what makes you think that is what will happen? Lot's of stuff can erase us from earths surface, meteors, gamma ray bursts there's a lot of crazy stuff going on in outter space. Even on earth we have mega vulcanos etc.

Juk3n
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Hell someday pretty much everything will end, every star will extinguish and the universe falls into complete darkness. you don't think new stars will be born? Are you quite sane?

weird though, i always thought sentience included a measure of self awareness

however, I'd split hairs on the last point you make. few species outside of the great apes have a self concept, at least with studies to see if animals can recognize that it is themselves in a mirror.

Fairly certain the elephant is also self-aware in a similar manner to us and the great apes, bottlenose dolphins too.

Thing about microphones and even computer programs is that they don't really make sense of the data they process. Anyhow, sentience isn't a biological term, I think it originally came from philosophy of the mind and was popularized by animal rights philosophers and sci-fi authors with different meanings from the original. It can mean anything, there is no coherent use.

Originally posted by Juk3n
you don't think new stars will be born? Are you quite sane? But eventually there'll be no more free energy left, so he's actually right. New stars won't continue being born forver.

But what would the reason be for the earth to keep on going on and going on?It makes more sence that one day the world will end and all humans and other stuff will disapear to go reather to heaven or hell or whatever you believe in. We'll die long before the sun and there will still be a lot of other lifeforms left on the planet after human extinction, maybe even after the sun dies out. No reason whatsoever for any of it though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.