5 Upcoming Remakes of 80s Movies (That Must be Stopped)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dataflux
According to this article, there five 80s movies that are being remade:

Red Dawn
Weird Science
The Karate Kid
Friday The 13th
Top Gun

I'm not a big fan of remakes. The movies are just fine on their own and should be better left unmolested.

But I'm especially aghast at the fact that Will Smith wants to remake the Karate Kid and put his son in the lead role.

Come on man, you can do better than that. There's plenty of material out there that can make good new movies. Stop regurgitating things just because you have no talent. there's fresh talent out there that can make good movies. Somewhere.

The full article can be found here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16665_5-upcoming-remakes-80s-movies-that-must-be-stopped.html

MildPossession
The trailer for Friday the 13th is already out, seen it and it looks like fun.

Others I'm not bothered about and wouldn't bother seeing anyway.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MildPossession

you've never seen karate kid or weird science?

deathbycorn
Conan and The Monster Squad are also getting remade.

Its never ending.

ragesRemorse
Conan actually seems like a good idea to me. Conan's story pre-dates the movie so, i'm cool with another interpretation that offers good acting and quality effects.

MildPossession
I've seen Karate Kid, but not Weird Science. Heard Weird Science is awful and one of his weakest films.

fascistcrusader
I used to be in the "I hate remakes" crowd at one point in time, but now I realize that there is nothing wrong with remakes. You have to keep in mind that no matter how terrible a remake is, no one can force you to watch it and the original will still be sitting there on your DVD shelf for you. Remakes are no more harmful to a film than a sequel.

celestialdemon
You can add The Warriors to that list. Good ol' Hollywood loves beating stories to death.

Robtard
Red Dawn: I hope they keep a similar format, just ordinary small-town people fighting as rebels. Though instead of the Russians and Cubans invading mainland America/being the bad-guys, I'd like to see it be the Canadians and Mexicans.

Weird Science: Can't see this being any good, no matter what.

Karate Kid: They'll probably have Daniel doing MMA instead of just Karate, as that's what is popular now. Will be complete shit.

Friday 13th: Should not be redone, nor should they do a Jason XI, this franchise needs to rest.

Top Gun: They should do away with the latent homosexuality of the original and just have Maverick and Iceman be openly gay bitter rivals with one serious sexual frustration issue.

wicker_man
I'll put that revolver to my head when they remake Jaws or The Great Escape.

Alpha Centauri
The only continuation I'm ever going to go see is the obvious (Batman etc), or Alien.

Simply because I never get tired of those movies. Barring the abominations that were Alien Resurrection and Versus Predator.

-AC

MildPossession
I must be in the minority, I adored Alien Resurrection stick out tongue

jaden101
I really feel sorry for the writers who are probably churning out excellent original material but will never get it made because the film studios are too busy wanting rewrites of films that were utter crap but are loved because they had a cheesiness about them

and seriously...Karate Kid without Mr Miyagi???...please

MildPossession
He can't even make a cameo in it!! didn't he die in real life? or was that the Chinese guy in Big Trouble in Little China? always got them mixed up.

AngryManatee
If they're making a Top Gun remike, it'll be composed of FAIL due to no F-14 Tomcats.

jaden101
He can't even make a cameo in it!! didn't he die in real life?

yeah...2005...although his IMDB says he's been in about 6 things since then...not a patch on how many albums 2-pac released after his death though...so anything is possible

Quiero Mota
They're also redoing The Breakfast Club.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
EEWWW

ragesRemorse
I've seen Karate Kid, but not Weird Science. Heard Weird Science is awful and one of his weakest films.

They lied, Weird Science is aces.

deathbycorn
Red Sonja is also getting remade.

deathbycorn
From Beyond is also getting remade.

And The Thing. Which is just wrong.

Also Train is a remake of Terror Train.

celestialdemon
Robocop might get remade. Sounds dumb at first but the fact that Darren Aronofsky is the one interested in doing it, this could turn out fantastic.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Conan actually seems like a good idea to me. Conan's story pre-dates the movie so, i'm cool with another interpretation that offers good acting and quality effects.

Same here and besides destroyer was an abomination

Conan Barbarian--------->Destroyer

Originally posted by deathbycorn

And The Thing. Which is just wrong.

Well a remake of a remake erm

ragesRemorse
yeah, destroyer is awful

I want to see a remake of monkeybone

tom_servo
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

Wh-Wh-What?

jaden101
no doubt gremlins will be done soon enough as well...basically anything with any nostalgic value they will rape and pillage

MildPossession
The Breakfast Club will be called something else, and it's going to be set in an Airport apparently... so the whole school detention thing will be out...

Not really, if you look in the Train topic in the Horror section about that. Terror Train is getting another closer remake.

Mr Parker

i agree,friday the 13th I wouldnt care if they redid it but the others need to be left the hell alone. mad I for sure would not see those remakes if they made them.

Toku King
"Karate Kid" is where I draw the line.

moviebuff1084
Okay,

Red Dawn - never seen it.

Weird Science - Why redo this? this was only good in the 80's now it would fail.

The Karate Kid - Saw it coming.

Friday The 13th - Could be good, but that's just the horror fan in me talking.

Top Gun - WTF!!! WHYYYYYYYY!!!

SnakeEyes
I believe there's a live-action He-Man in the works as well.

Markus Corvinus
Seen the trailer to Friday the 13th and that movie looks like it's going to kick tons of ass. I'm anxiously awaiting that movie.

Toku King
Originally posted by moviebuff1084
The Karate Kid - Saw it coming.

HOW?! I sure as heck didn't!

moviebuff1084
Originally posted by Toku King
HOW?! I sure as heck didn't!

It's just one of those movies that it seemed like they would remake, so i knew they would one day.

Toku King
Originally posted by moviebuff1084
It's just one of those movies that it seemed like they would remake, so i knew they would one day.

But it's one of those classics that I thought that they would leave alone. But of course, Hollywood has to rape it.

moviebuff1084
But it's one of those classics that I thought that they would leave alone. But of course, Hollywood has to rape it.

It could be good but I doubt it.

Mr Parker

yeah kinda like the same way they did with the guy in my sig. To say that they are with this movie but NOT with the one I mentioned is being a hypocrite. roll eyes (sarcastic)

mr.smiley
The only one I understand remaking is Friday the 13th.

Toku King
Originally posted by Mr Parker
yeah kinda like the same way they did with the guy in my sig. To say that they are with this movie but NOT with the one I mentioned is being a hypocrite. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Great, you again.
"Spider-Man", in my opinion, was amazing. They took a 40 year franchise and put it to the big screen in a way that encompasses all of the reasons the comics are so popular. Remaking a film that's meaning and overall quality is far from outdated is just freakin' ridiculous, especially when people are still watching the old one. Might as well remake "Rocky" and "The Godfather" while they're at it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.