No good British movies made since the 1950s

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wicker_man
That's according to Ricky Gervais, so discuss...

jaden101
Ricky Gervais should stick to comedy...cause i highly doubt he's seen every British film made since the 1950's

wicker_man
Originally posted by jaden101
Ricky Gervais should stick to comedy...cause i highly doubt he's seen every British film made since the 1950's

Comedy where? I find his skills (or rather lack of) in comedy about as excruciating as having ones genital slowly cut off with a butter knife. To say there's been NO good British movies in the last fifty or so years quite frankly either the ramblings of a snob or an ignorant twit.

Bardock42
Ricky Gervais should stick to comedy...cause i highly doubt he's seen every British film made since the 1950's I think that probably was an attempt at it.

Ushgarak
Actual quote:

"The Americans are just better at it than us. There's an odd exception, but when it comes to making movies we don't really cut the mustard. Not since about 1950."

To be frank- fair point. We had a big movie industry back then, we don't now; he also said there was the odd exception.

RG is a comey genius and also is a 'speak my mind' kind of guy..

chillmeistergen
Wicker Man's the king of not getting stuff, then claiming that it's because he has too much of an esoteric mind for it to touch.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think that probably was an attempt at it.

could be right

wicker_man
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Actual quote:

"The Americans are just better at it than us," he continued. "There's an odd exception, but when it comes to making movies we don't really cut the mustard. Not since about 1950."

To be frank- fair point. We had a big movie industry back then, we don;t now; he also said there was the odd exception.

RG is a comey genius and also is a 'speak my mind' kind of guy..

No Ricky Gervais is not a comedy genius, a comedy genius would not ridicule an audience who did not appreciate his take on humour.

As for his belief that the Americans are better than us, well it's hardly fair to say one's better than the other but to say there are only ODD exceptions is again the ramblings of a very ignorant individual.

But hey it seems everyone wants to be a comedian through their 'don't give a monkies' attitude - Brand, Carr, Howard then of course look at Leary, Carlin, Rock and Hicks...it's apparently the 'cool' thing.

jaden101
Originally posted by wicker_man
Comedy where? I find his skills (or rather lack of) in comedy about as excruciating as having ones genital slowly cut off with a butter knife. To say there's been NO good British movies in the last fifty or so years quite frankly either the ramblings of a snob or an ignorant twit.

now that's just nonsense....the Ben Stiller episode of "extras" is total genius...the whole "i'm sick and tired of hearing about your ****in' dead wife" scene is hilarious

although not wanting to get into a debate about Ricky Gervais...his comedy is based on car crash tv...some scenes are so cringe worthy it makes you want to switch over with embarresment but you cant help but watch

chillmeistergen
It's more based on subtlety and awkward silences. Wicker_man clearly narrows comedy down into the genre of stand up, which is incredibly stupid. There's no denying that The Office was a very original sitcom - though it has roots and influences across the board, it was a breath of fresh air in British television.

wicker_man
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Wicker Man's the king of not getting stuff, then claiming that it's because he has too much of anesoteric mind for it to touch.

Is this because you didn't like something I had to say in a previous post?

And please find this supposed claim, otherwise I'll put it down to no more than petty-minded slander.

Ushgarak
No Ricky Gervais is not a comedy genius, a comedy genius would not ridicule an audience who did not appreciate his take on humour.

As for his belief that the Americans are better than us, well it's hardly fair to say one's better than the other but to say there are only ODD exceptions is again the ramblings of a very ignorant individual.

But hey it seems everyone wants to be a comedian through their 'don't give a monkies' attitude - Brand, Carr, Howard then of course look at Leary, Carlin, Rock and Hicks...it's apparently the 'cool' thing.

Obviously you have your opinion on RG but... you know it's not a very popular or widespread one, and his popularity and kudos are coming from both the general public AND critics, which is pretty rare.

I think you will also find that the idea that at this point in time Americans are making better films than the British is... not that controversial an opinion either.

Frankly if you make a list of very good films you probably are going to find the decent British ones are exceptions on that list, not norms.

chillmeistergen
Is this because you didn't like something I had to say in a previous post?

And please find this supposed claim, otherwise I'll put it down to no more than petty-minded slander.

Just put it down to slander.

wicker_man
now that's just nonsense....the Ben Stiller episode of "extras" is total genius...the whole "i'm sick and tired of hearing about your ****in' dead wife" scene is hilarious

although not wanting to get into a debate about Ricky Gervais...his comedy is based on car crash tv...some scenes are so cringe worthy it makes you want to switch over with embarresment but you cant help but watch

I'm merely saying 'speak your mind' comedians are ten to a penny, I never endorsed in any of those I exemplified. Now I don't find The Office or indeed Extras funny but then again I put that down to no more than a different taste of humour - and I grew out of 'dead wife' gags when I was 15 or so years old. I know you obviously have a chip on your shoulder with me but please don't make it that obvious.

Robtard
Ricky Gervais should just shut-up and continue living off his "The Office" royalites, which was a great show btw.

wicker_man
Obviously you have your opinion on RG but... you know it's not a very popular or widespread one, and his popularity and kudos are coming from both the general public AND critics, which is pretty rare.

I think you will also find that the idea that at this point in time Americans are making better films than the British is... not that controversial an opinion either.

Frankly if you make a list of very good films you probably are going to find the decent British ones are exceptions on that list, not norms.

I'm not into endorsing in wide-spread and popular on that basis if I like someone/something it'll be down to a genuine like.

It depends on what you feel makes a good film, I have no qualms with American films - hell most of my collection is probably made of American films/shows but to say we only make a smattering of decent films is again quite franky 'mind-boggling'.

Ushgarak
Sometimes going against widespread belief is mere stubborness in the face of the obvious, not to be lauded.

Anyway. I feel calling it 'mind boggling' is a ridiculous exaggeration. At the very most it is no more than a strong opinion, and as I say, frankly I think it's a mainstream opinion barely worthy of comment at all.

Alpha Centauri

Like you're ridiculuing him for not sharing your take on British cinema?

His stand-up comedy isn't that great, to me. I chuckle, that's about it, but his written comedy is much better.

-AC

wicker_man
Sometimes going against widespread belief is mere stubborness in the face of the obvious, not to be lauded.

Anyway. I feel calling it 'mind boggling' is a ridiculous exaggeration. At the very most it is no more than a strong opinion, and as I say, frankly I think it's a mainstream opinion barely worthy of comment at all.

I never said it was an act of attention, I said I'll not follow a crowd on the basis that it's the 'in-thing' to do, for instance do you watch the X-Factor or Big Brother 'cos they're popular AND NOT 'cos you generally enjoy watching 'em?

As for using the term 'mind boggling' that was exactly my state of mind when being able to compile a mental list of classic British films from the 60s onwards but of course it comes down to personal opinion, but then again everything I've said in here is and should be viewed that way.

wicker_man
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Like you're ridiculuing him for not sharing your take on British cinema?

His stand-up comedy isn't that great, to me. I chuckle, that's about it, but his written comedy is much better.

-AC

Even if was a fan of Mr. Gervais I'd still question that statement. I just happen to dislike his style and general attitude and well this statement was frankly coincidence.

Bardock42

"The Americans are just better at it than us. There's an odd exception, but when it comes to making movies we don't really cut the mustard. Not since about 1950."

Well, my personal taste echos that.

I still think he's overrated though.

MildPossession
I adore Extras. Saw the stand up shows and was very disappointed. I am probably the only person in the world who hasn't seen a full episode of The Office.

bakerboy
I like him sometimes, but not a fan. Anyways, that thing that he said about the british cinema is totally false and ignorant.

Alpha Centauri
Let's try this, then.

Everybody name their personal favourite British movies since that time. Not movies with great reputation, movies you've actually seen and loved, not just liked a lot.

Then compare it to America.

-AC

Bardock42
I call Snatch.

And Trainspotting

And A Clockwork Orange

jaden101
I'm merely saying 'speak your mind' comedians are ten to a penny, I never endorsed in any of those I exemplified. Now I don't find The Office or indeed Extras funny but then again I put that down to no more than a different taste of humour - and I grew out of 'dead wife' gags when I was 15 or so years old. I know you obviously have a chip on your shoulder with me but please don't make it that obvious.

why would i have a chip on my shoulder with you?...i dont ever recall having spoken with you before...shows how impactful a member you are on the board though

as for the joke i mentioned...you clearly haven't seen it as you're missing the point of my post...or maybe you have seen it...and you're missing the point of the joke...either way...it make your opinion null and void

cant say i've ever considered Gervais a "speak your mind" comedian either...he's an observational comedian...granted he may exaggerate traits in the characters he writes but the fact that most people say things like "i have a boss that's exactly like David Brent" shows how well he picks up and makes humerous character traits which wouldn't normally be so

ragesRemorse
People say the same thing and say it more often about American cinema. Who cares? Hollywood just happens to have more money. I don't care who is responsible for good movie's, just as long as they are good.

jaden101
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
People say the same thing and say it more often about American cinema. Who cares? Hollywood just happens to have more money. I don't care who is responsible for good movie's, just as long as they are good.

exactly...and besides...it's arguable that currently foreign cinema trumps them both for quality

Ushgarak
I never said it was an act of attention, I said I'll not follow a crowd on the basis that it's the 'in-thing' to do, for instance do you watch the X-Factor or Big Brother 'cos they're popular AND NOT 'cos you generally enjoy watching 'em?

This part of your post makes no sense. I didn't say it was for attention. I did imply it was not an approach you should be proud of though. Check my post again.

Meanwhile, Snatch might be set in Britain with a British director but it is an American film by any means of looking at the issue. Trainspotting is genuinely homegrown and that would be on plenty of people's lists- as one of the odd exceptions.

I certainly feel a lot of people are passing judgment on RG based upon the completely inaccurate summary of his quote at the start of this thread, instead of actually checking out what he said.

bakerboy
Only a little list of great british films in the last 50 years or so:

Dont look now, performance, ipcress, the go between, a clockwork orange, local hero,my beautiful laundrette, a man for all seasons, the elephant man, brazil, the killing fields, the long good friday, the remains of the day, sexy beast, secrets and lies, my left foot, the crying game, alfie, darling, the wicked man, transporting, the omen, get carter, the commiments, a hard day's night, charriots of fire, zulu, monty phiton and the holly grial, life of brian, gandhy, the english patient, sleuth, howards end, four weddings and a funeral, elizabeth, sense and sensibility, goldfinger, from russia with love, thunderball, on her majesty secret service, lawrence of arabia, doctor zhivago, far from the madding crowd, ryans daughter, oliver, ghandy, the full monty, snatch, bridge on the river kwai, horror of dracula, the italian job,

And so on, and so on, and so on. Yes , not really good british films made since the 50s. Very clever, Gervais.

wicker_man
why would i have a chip on my shoulder with you?...i dont ever recall having spoken with you before...shows how impactful a member you are on the board though

as for the joke i mentioned...you clearly haven't seen it as you're missing the point of my post...or maybe you have seen it...and you're missing the point of the joke...either way...it make your opinion null and void

cant say i've ever considered Gervais a "speak your mind" comedian either...he's an observational comedian...granted he may exaggerate traits in the characters he writes but the fact that most people say things like "i have a boss that's exactly like David Brent" shows how well he picks up and makes humerous character traits which wouldn't normally be so

I wasn't even referring that statement to you. But it does show you obviously think of yourself as someone elevated above their station.

wicker_man
This part of your post makes no sense. I didn't say it was for attention. I did imply it was not an approach you should be proud of though. Check my post again.

Yet I do not put down my opinions on Ricky Gervais down to stubbornness and exactly what is supposed to be obvious in his statement? He said there's only been a smattering of good British films since the 1950s I think it's naive, for one has he seen EVERY British film since the 1950s. It's my opinion and it won't be changed under any circumstance but my own personal change of mind on the matter. I'd hardly say I'm proud of it after all it's not an achievement and it's one of many opinions I hold but I'm not going to disregard it, change it or think any less of it.

wicker_man
I wasn't even referring that statement to you. But it does show you obviously think of yourself as someone elevated above their station.

Apologies looking back that comments should've gone to someone else on here, who if you read back doesn't seem to be able to let things drop - from something I said in another post a good few months back.

As for not getting the gag, oh well I've seen to many similar to make such judgements.

bakerboy
i dont think that the british cinema is so under the american cinema. Only take a look of the british actors and directors in the story of british cinema. Same great quality or even better than the american.

jaden101

quite alright...mistakes happen

jaden101
as for the gag...it's not really the dead wife bit that's funny...that's the awkward cringe moment...its the bit after that's funny

Ben Stiller: sorry..who are you?
Andy: noone
BS: Who?
Andy?: noone
BS: That's right...noone...and who am i?
Andy: it's either starsky or hutch...can never remember which
BS: is that supposed to be funny
Andy: you tell me you were in it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.