Battle of Heroes vs. Duel of Fates

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
Which is your favorite?

Darth Martin
Fight: DOF
Music: DOF

THE JLRTENJAC
Duel of fates was an extrodanarily cool fight, however, in Battle of Heroes you could sense Obi-Wan's anguish at being forced to fight a former student, friend, and ally.

Darth Martin
Darth Maul's 1on1 fight with Kenobi was beast.

Master Korr.
I gotta say, I like Duel of Fates better. Better and cooler duel but Battle of Heros was alright.

Master Crimzon
The BOH duel is the best in the saga. It's also the superior actual music, simply because it amplifies all the emotion within the duel.

sweersa
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
The BOH duel is the best in the saga. It's also the superior actual music, simply because it amplifies all the emotion within the duel.

The music really adds a lot to the PT.

Master Crimzon
Yarg.

harri
the duel of fates was my favourite, i mean my 2 favourites are fighting, also brilliant music. BOH was astonishing too, both brilliant.

sweersa
Originally posted by harri
the duel of fates was my favourite, i mean my 2 favourites are fighting, also brilliant music. BOH was astonishing too, both brilliant.

I agree, some people actually complain about the music during the duals, lol. It isn't like Maul talks much anyways...

Jack Daniels
I didnt think anything was wrong with the music?

Ordo
Duel of the Fates had a much better composition and was much more meaningful to the saga. It appeared in all three prequels, often multiple times in a variety of arrangements. Duel of the fates became more than a theme, it became a motif, even becoming intertwined with the Force theme. It is unquestionably one of the dominant themes in Star Wars and certainly the 2nd most powerful theme in the PT, behind the Force theme. The "The Tide Turns" arrangement (i guess) from TPM and ROTS that combines Duel of the Fates, The Droid theme, and the Force theme is probably my favortie sound clip from the saga and simple a pure symphonic orgasm.

Battle of the Heroes on the other hand...the score is better than its adaptation in the film. I often found it to be a bit slow and its rearrangement limited. It could have been much more powerful if had appeared throughout ROTS, building to the theme, but with Lucas' just-add-water-instant-darkside Anakin, such a progression had no place in the film. Also, I hated how the sequence was chopped up both by Duel of the fates and by gerbil-Yoda. It really destroyed the momentm and lessend the impact of the theme. Battle of the Heroes was a one shot theme. I thought it was acceptable, but could have been better. It certainly could have had more power in ROTS. Its lack of durability and flexibility makes it clearly inferior to Duel of the Fates.

IMO, what should be 3rd place in the PT is the Across the Stars theme, which besides having some great arrangements in AOTC, made some nice appearences in ROTS. The violin at the beginning was pure hearbreak and when it was combined with the Imperial March after Padme's funeral it really showcased William's raw talent in a very powerful moment. Its these sort of adaptations of a theme that put things like The Force theme, Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars at a whole different level than Batle of the Heroes, which is more a song than a theme.

Nactous
Originally posted by Ordo
Duel of the Fates had a much better composition and was much more meaningful to the saga. It appeared in all three prequels, often multiple times in a variety of arrangements. Duel of the fates became more than a theme, it became a motif, even becoming intertwined with the Force theme. It is unquestionably one of the dominant themes in Star Wars and certainly the 2nd most powerful theme in the PT, behind the Force theme. The "The Tide Turns" arrangement (i guess) from TPM and ROTS that combines Duel of the Fates, The Droid theme, and the Force theme is probably my favortie sound clip from the saga and simple a pure symphonic orgasm.

Battle of the Heroes on the other hand...the score is better than its adaptation in the film. I often found it to be a bit slow and its rearrangement limited. It could have been much more powerful if had appeared throughout ROTS, building to the theme, but with Lucas' just-add-water-instant-darkside Anakin, such a progression had no place in the film. Also, I hated how the sequence was chopped up both by Duel of the fates and by gerbil-Yoda. It really destroyed the momentm and lessend the impact of the theme. Battle of the Heroes was a one shot theme. I thought it was acceptable, but could have been better. It certainly could have had more power in ROTS. Its lack of durability and flexibility makes it clearly inferior to Duel of the Fates.

IMO, what should be 3rd place in the PT is the Across the Stars theme, which besides having some great arrangements in AOTC, made some nice appearences in ROTS. The violin at the beginning was pure hearbreak and when it was combined with the Imperial March after Padme's funeral it really showcased William's raw talent in a very powerful moment. Its these sort of adaptations of a theme that put things like The Force theme, Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars at a whole different level than Batle of the Heroes, which is more a song than a theme.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there pal, just because a theme is over used does not make it "more meaningful to the saga." As awesome as DOF is, it does not coincide with the heart of the prequel installments imo. It feels foreign to me in the since that it mostly deals with one single battle against an unfamiliar opponent. While the outcome of this battle will define the fates(no pun intended) of all that fight within it, it still is minimal in impact to the overall arc of the three movies. If we look at The Clone Wars as the climax you begin to appreciate the connection that Obi and Anakin have developed. Where as with DOF; Jinn and Kenobi squared of against a new and rather undeveloped opponent, Skywalker and Kenobi have been featured in TV shows and 2/3 thirds of the series as friends, making their connection stronger to the audience. That is why BOH is more than simply "fight" music, it is the sound of a friendship being ripped apart and two souls once in sync being turned against one another.

Jack Daniels
umm sounds deep and all and Im not disagreeing either way but is there any at all..Lucas input on it? jus curious cause I really didnt think there was anything wrong with the music..IMO.. I thought it was well placed..does Lucas even comment on that thought?...I checked one google page and gave up..lol..had to get back to this place so I could watch my avatar babe bounce around!

mattatom
I prefer DoF simply because I can play it flawlessly big grin

Slash_KMC
On what ?

Jaeh.is.Awesome
they're equally good in different ways.

DOF was just plain awesome - the fight was great, and it was full of uncertainty and stuff - after all those years, maul was sort of the first sith they've ever faced.
i liked the emotion obi showed when qui died too..

BOH was also just plain awesome - the anguish obi was feeling (notice that obi is always in the middle of the non-cheesy and powerful angst scenes?) + the final point of anakin's turn to the dark side...

shame i can't choose both up in that poll.

sweersa
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
they're equally good in different ways.

DOF was just plain awesome - the fight was great, and it was full of uncertainty and stuff - after all those years, maul was sort of the first sith they've ever faced.
i liked the emotion obi showed when qui died too..

BOH was also just plain awesome - the anguish obi was feeling (notice that obi is always in the middle of the non-cheesy and powerful angst scenes?) + the final point of anakin's turn to the dark side...

shame i can't choose both up in that poll.

This is a very hard poll. So I can't vote. lol

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by sweersa
This is a very hard poll. So I can't vote. lol

teehee, i think i just pointed that out xD

mattatom
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
On what ?

My KORG M388 big grin
(Electric keyboard)

sweersa
teehee, i think i just pointed that out xD

Yeah, thats why I quoted you. Great minds think alike!

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Yeah, thats why I quoted you. Great minds think alike!

alright then. big grin

sweersa
alright then. big grin

You know, maybe we should think together more often.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
You know, maybe we should think together more often.

what's on your mind?

Jack Daniels
oh no dont ask him that..lol..j/k...nah IM not dont ask him that..lol

sweersa
what's on your mind?

Let me check...

...oh no.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Let me check...

...oh no.

..is that. bad....

sweersa
..is that. bad....

Of course not.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
good, then.

sweersa
good, then.

A fireplace, some fine music and smooth drinks...

Jaeh.is.Awesome
sounds nice...

eerily reminds me of that cheesy AOTC scene...

Nactous
Hey, hey, hey, none of that in here!!!

sweersa
sounds nice...

eerily reminds me of that cheesy AOTC scene...

Very, very good. I asked George to write our plans out for the evening.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Very, very good. I asked George to write our plans out for the evening.

what?! no! he'll just wreck the moment!

then he'll do a dozen remakes, special editions, adding in a CGI ghost or something, then making people shoot first and give us cheesy lines that no matter how good the actor is it'll still look stiff and far too cheesy!

sweersa
what?! no! he'll just wreck the moment!

then he'll do a dozen remakes, special editions, adding in a CGI ghost or something, then making people shoot first and give us cheesy lines that no matter how good the actor is it'll still look stiff and far too cheesy!

Hahaha. It will make it unpredictable.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Hahaha. It will make it unpredictable.

*stares dumbly*

...I guess so?

sweersa
*stares dumbly*

...I guess so?

One way to find out. Hahaha.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
One way to find out. Hahaha.

suddenly, I'm scared.

sweersa
suddenly, I'm scared.

Hehe, I am kidding of course. I wanted to see how far I could take it. (hehe)

Hahaha.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Hehe, I am kidding of course. I wanted to see how far I could take it. (hehe)

Hahaha.

If georgy-boy had caused me to react like that then it just means that its worse than I feared, lol.

Lewis Kenobi
Hey guys,

I'm new here i have got to say "Battle of Heroes" better because of the friend vs friend aspect

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Ordo
Duel of the Fates had a much better composition and was much more meaningful to the saga.

are you talking about the music or the actual fight? because in both cases, the music is extremely appropriate and emotionful toward the situation...

if you're talking about the fight in both films, then yes, the duel of the fates is much more crucial to the story overall. It shows the fall of a hero and the potencial fall of the jedi when obi-wan is told by yoda that he can train anakin.

whereas, the battle of heroes seems very appropriate to explain how vader became the vader we all know and love/hate. but it seems like lucas was like, *gotta think of a way to put him in the suit*. it probably wasn't like that, but it seems (not necessarily last minute but) like lucas didn't think of it being the way vader became armour-clad...

tbh, both fights are extremely powerful and fun to watch...and both give me goosebumps when i watch them... stick out tongue

ares834
I like BOH better. But nothing beats the music playing when Luke goes darkside on his father's arse when battling in the Death Star.

Raoul
Originally posted by ares834
nothing beats the music playing when Luke goes darkside on his father's arse when battling in the Death Star.

qft.

Choreography wise, DOF beats BOH hands down imo. BOH was far too repetitive for my tastes.

Music wise, i used to prefer DOH, but the BOH music has really been growing on me.

BOH for me is actually kind of poor, up until a point. Up until they land on the lava platform things, i think the fight is just poor. there's no sense of what's truly at stake. there's no "omg anakin really has turned and is fighting his master" feeling, at least not for me. once they hit the platforms, though, everything shifts. even the choreography, where they seem to be dragging the sabers against each other, gives you the impression that both men are physically and emotionally spent. the emotion finally kicks in when obi gives his "you were the chosen one" speech.

up until the lava platforms, though? it sucked, and was saved only by inter-cutting with the yoda battle...

DOF has great music, some really nice choreography, and when jinn goes down, you can see even in the way obi-wan fights that he's more determined than ever...

ares834
After listening to them again BOH is definetly better. Sure DOF is great but BOH has some awestriking moments... like at 1:35 and greatesat of all the twisted unholy form of Binary Sunset AKA the FOrce theme at 1:57.

But as I said earlier nothing beats this... from 7:15 to about 8.

Stun
I enjoyed BotH more. I like DotF, but quite frankly it's over played imo.

Hybris
Heard a drum and bass remix of Dual of the Fates at a party recently, that was awesome...

But Battle of the Heroes is definately better... It's so much intenser, although I can't really explain why....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.