20 century fox

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
do 20 century fox hold the rights to SW ? why lucus ? i mean every time we buy the OT the money should go to 20 century fox not lucus.

Jovan
Lucas is the creator, thus he has the intellectual rights. Fox is the distributor so they get a small piece of the pie... besides, they lost most of the rights in '77 already when Lucas negotiated that a lot of the rights, benefits, ... remained to him. Fox agreed because sci-fi wasn't in demand much at the time and they simply didn't believe in the movie. Lucas could make star wars because of the success of american graffiti.

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by coolmovies
do 20 century fox hold the rights to SW ? why lucus ? i mean every time we buy the OT the money should go to 20 century fox not lucus. Because George Lucas IS Star Wars ermm

queeq
Yup.

JediRobin23
Lucas should get 99% of all star wars profit

sweersa
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Lucas should get 99% of all star wars profit

He actually gets 109% of Star Wars profit if you include the under the table sales he heads regarding the deactivated weapons he uses to be reactivated and re-integrated into the Black Market.

queeq
laughing out loud

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
laughing out loud

It is a serious business. Just last week a family was murdered with a re-activated Han Solo blaster prop.

queeq
Hey, it happens.

JediRobin23
activated weapons?

queeq
You never heard of those???

sweersa
Originally posted by JediRobin23
activated weapons?

Hehe. A lot of the weapons (blasters) in Star Wars are either the same or are replicas of actual firearms of different areas. They are usually modified or deactivated to not be used as an actual firearm unless it needs to fire blanks or something for the movie.

jaden101
Lucas only got the films made because he agreed, at the time, to take a very small % of the profits from the film but negotiated it so that he would take almost all the revenue from sales of merchandise which, at the time, was usually very little (most films made tiny amounts on merchandise)...Lucas then set about selling huge amounts of merchandise and made a fecking killing in the process

not sure about how the deal stands from dvd sales now though but i would guess that 20th century fox still gets the biggest share of the pie from the movies but not the merchandising

sweersa
Originally posted by jaden101
Lucas only got the films made because he agreed, at the time, to take a very small % of the profits from the film but negotiated it so that he would take almost all the revenue from sales of merchandise which, at the time, was usually very little (most films made tiny amounts on merchandise)...Lucas then set about selling huge amounts of merchandise and made a fecking killing in the process

not sure about how the deal stands from dvd sales now though but i would guess that 20th century fox still gets the biggest share of the pie from the movies but not the merchandising

Lucas is an independent filmmaker, so I assume he puts a lot of his own money into his projects and pockets a large margin to use for himself and the upcoming Sequel Trilogy.

jaden101
Originally posted by sweersa
Lucas is an independent filmmaker, so I assume he puts a lot of his own money into his projects and pockets a large margin to use for himself and the upcoming Sequel Trilogy.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/buyingstarwars.html

seems we're both sort of right...Lucas financed the 2 sequels on his own and got the biggest share of the pie from those...but not a new hope...which fox owns the rights to

makes interesting reading, that link, though

sweersa
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/buyingstarwars.html

seems we're both sort of right...Lucas financed the 2 sequels on his own and got the biggest share of the pie from those...but not a new hope...which fox owns the rights to

makes interesting reading, that link, though

Wow, awesome read on that link, thanks.

Yeah I figured the Original Star Wars wasn't independent, I wonder who secured the rights for 7, 8, and 9.

jaden101
Wow, awesome read on that link, thanks.

Yeah I figured the Original Star Wars wasn't independent, I wonder who secured the rights for 7, 8, and 9.

yeah there's alot of good stuff in the articles section about how the story developed in Lucas' mind and how it changed between 1973 and 1976 and the way he approached both the OT and the PT stories

makes a damn good read for those who are interested

sweersa
yeah there's alot of good stuff in the articles section about how the story developed in Lucas' mind and how it changed between 1973 and 1976 and the way he approached both the OT and the PT stories

makes a damn good read for those who are interested

Yeah, do they mention anything about the fabled sequel trilogy? I have an old Life magazine that talks about it briefly.

jaden101
Yeah, do they mention anything about the fabled sequel trilogy? I have an old Life magazine that talks about it briefly.

unfortunately not anymore...

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/book.html

that page details the book (which used to be a free e-book which is no doubt still available online somewhere) and it mentions the sequel trilogy in appendix D

the book comes out later this year if you're that interested

sweersa
unfortunately not anymore...

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/book.html

that page details the book (which used to be a free e-book which is no doubt still available online somewhere) and it mentions the sequel trilogy in appendix D

the book comes out later this year if you're that interested

Very cool. I didn't know it was going to get published.

"Appendix D: The Legend of the Sequel Trilogy -- traces how the concept of sequels to Star Wars were formed and what happened to the infamous third trilogy that followed the original three films"

Heck yeah!

Slash_KMC
Thanks for the link, I like the article about Sifo-Dyas and especially this part: Yoda says, "meditate on this, I will," but all he does is go to Kamino and take the mysterious clone army for himself to use.

sweersa
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Thanks for the link, I like the article about Sifo-Dyas and especially this part: Yoda says, "meditate on this, I will," but all he does is go to Kamino and take the mysterious clone army for himself to use.

He meditates with the doors closed like every other guy here.

queeq
So it's Yoda for going to the bathroom?

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
So it's Yoda for going to the bathroom?

Umm...yes, yes, that is what he is doing. He has to look at a picture of Yaddle as well while he is using the rest room.

Better not to ask why.

queeq
Errm.. no!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.