Van Helsing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Markus Corvinus
Yeah yeah, I know it came out four years ago but the movie is damn awesome. I couldn't help but watch it twice today (I'm watching it for the second time right now). cool

I believe that alongside "Underworld," "Van Helsing" ranks among the best vampire/werewolf movies. I felt that the plot was very intricate and deeper than what you get in a lot of these types of movies now adays. The acting was just superb. I am among the lot that think Kate's accent was a bit annoying at times, but she's a great actress, and is the hottest woman alive, so it doesn't bother me as much. Richard Roxburgh's Dracula surpassed Bela Lugosi's (don't flame me, it's my opinion), but in the end both were superb, and the best versions of the character's I've seen (I haven't seen Oldman or Lee's version, so I can't judge their job yet). I don't even believe I ahve to speak on Jackman's job as Van Helsing, he's pretty much awesome in everything.

Well, I wanted to create this thread for general discussion of the film since I tried searching for an already existing thread and could not find one. I want to see what you all think of the film, so post away.

Impediment
One of the very worst films I have ever seen.

Bardock42
Meh, thought it was alright.

Markus Corvinus
I kind of feel that this film gets quite a bit of flak that it doesn't deserve. All-star cast, incredible effects, intricate story...what more do people want?

MildPossession
You didn't just say that? *clicks the ignore option*

stick out tongue

Markus Corvinus
Yep, I sure did, and I stand by it. I also stand by what I said earlier: Richard Roxburgh's Dracula has Lugosi's beat. 131

Alpha Centauri
Not a fan, pretty poor movie.

Kate Beckinsale looked awesome, though.

-AC

Markus Corvinus
Why do you consider it a poor movie (curious)?

BruceSkywalker
I liked Van Helsing..

Had the right amount of CGI effects and good acting

Robtard
Movie sucked, had some cheesy entertainment value, but it sucked nonetheless.

Magic_attack
I found Van Helsing to be a decent movie.

The CGI was good, and acting were ok. Kate Beckinsale looked great.

But I wouldn't go as far as say Roxburgh played a better Dracula than Lugosi.

Markus Corvinus
It's all a matter of opinion.

Mairuzu
Better than the brothers grim i always say

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Markus Corvinus

Robtard

That's something that people with a shitty taste in movies say.

Alpha Centauri

Lame story, lame execution, too crowded.

I don't wanna say unrealistic, but it wasn't believable. The actors didn't do well enough to suck me in and make me believe it.

-AC

Bardock42
The idea was a bit of a rip off of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen anyways, as such I kinda liked it. But as AC said, poorly executed.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Impediment
One of the very worst films I have ever seen.

Markus Corvinus
Originally posted by Robtard
That's something that people with a shitty taste in movies say.

That's something an idiotic person says.

Mairuzu
That's something an idiotic person says. Says Markus Corvinus, Registered Oct. 7th 2008

Markus Corvinus
The date upon which I registered has nothing to do with anything.

Moving on, I was looking at the special features on the disc and I was really impressed with how much work went into making the creatures. Hands down some of the best CGI I've seen yet.

Kazenji
Did anyone ever watch that animated movie they did, Is it anygood ?

Markus Corvinus
Actually it is, I watched it a few months ago on Youtube.

Robtard
That's something an idiotic person says.

Na. You can have the opinion that Van Helsing is better than Fight Club; it would certainly be your opinion. It would be a shitty opinion though, as fact.

Markus Corvinus
No one on this Earth should think that way. And please stop with all this "shitty opinion" crap. You sound like an idiot.

Robtard
No one on this Earth should think that way. And please stop with all this "shitty opinion" crap. You sound like an idiot.

Think which way?

It's true though, all opinions are not created equal; this is a fact. Don't throw a hisy-fit because you happen to have bad taste in movies, it's not a critical flaw.

Markus Corvinus
Bad taste in movies? Son, people are allowed to like whatever movies they want. You need to stop believing you are so intelligent, because from the posts I've seen from you 'round here, you are literally dumb as shit.

Robtard
Ah, look, it gets upset. Obviously people are allowed to like whichever movie, that was never in question, try and follow along.

Stating facts is 'believing you're intelligent?' Okay, champ. Anyhow, you do have shit taste in movies, from loving Van Helsing to your boyish fascination with the Underwold series; it's okay though.

Also, I wouldn't call anyone else stupid, considering the threads you've made, just an FYI.

Edit: DaJoker, is that you again, you stupid and cantankerous little ****? It is, isn't it.

Markus Corvinus
I'm allowed to be fascinated with any movie I want, there's no such thing as having shit taste.

This is my first time on this site, and I'd rather it be a pleasurable experience, so if you have problems with me, put me on ignore.

cruel jedi
its a cool film and has a great cast yes

Markus Corvinus
I love the film and all, but I do wish at times it had more of a scare factor. If anyone else ever tackles Van Helsing in this manner, they should go for more of a scary movie.

mr.smiley
I like how they did Frankenstien in the film.
But it seemed to drag on way too long

Markus Corvinus
I think it was probably meant to drag on a little, because there was a lot in there story wise, and one big adventure.

Robtard
I think it was probably meant to drag on a little, because there was a lot in there story wise, and one big adventure.

That's called bad story-line and poor directing/editing.

m.ramius
Does anyone else think this movie has gotten a raw deal from critics and reviewers?

I personally love this movie and its campy aspects. I think that if it wasn't released in theaters during the summer and hyped as a "block-buster" critics wouldn't have been so harsh with it.

Believe me, I'm not saying it's an amazing, ground-breaking film. But I think it's a lot of fun.

Impediment
Merged.

Please use the search function when making new threads.

It was a campy film, I agree, but it was just all around bad acting and very cheesy. I dislike it very much.

m.ramius
I searched, but some forums frown upon bumping a topic that's months and months old. Plus, it seemed like this thread had turned into a flame war, with one guy telling everyone else their opinions were shit, so I didn't want to reopen any wounds.

So, damned if I did, damned if I didn't. smile

But onto the movie...most campy movies have bad acting and are cheesy...that's what makes them "camp" smile Personally, I just think it was so hyped as a "summer blockbuster" people got let down and now it has a bad reputation.

Taken at face value, ignoring all the hype, I think it's pretty good.

Impediment
I don't mind you bumping a thread. At least you tried.

I thought it was very meh. It's just another popcorn flick, if you ask me.

I do, however, love campy movies and cheese. Bruce Campbell made me a fan.

m.ramius
Ahh, Bruce is the man! Gotta agree with ya there! "Listen up you prehistoric screwheads!!"

Impediment
Bubba Ho-Tep and Man with the Screaming Brain are great. I can't wait to see My name is Bruce.

DeVuL
This movie pisses me off... disgust

willofthewisp

Although the black and white opening is a lot of fun, I was really disappointed with the rest of it. I'm sort of a monster movie purist in that when Van Helsing is going after Mr. Hyde, I kept wondering what the hell Mr. Hyde was doing in Notre Dame in the first place. Hugh Jackman is a good actor and the movie does have some clever moments, particularly with Richard Roxburgh and David Wenham. I didn't know Faramir was funny! I was right on board with this movie until...

Kate Beckinsale. What the hell. As soon as she appears she just ruined it for me. Her accent is like nails on a chalkboard and the sequence with the brides would have had me on the edge of my seat except that once they turn from their monstrous forms into beautiful women, they tend to say stupid, overused things like, "too bad, so sad." That's just a little too contemporary for me, too. Anyway, after the bad dialogue and bad acting, Kate Beckinsale continues to do nothing throughout the movie. NOTHING, and yet she's somehow an action girl that is worth Van Helsing's romantic interest along with his protection. But I do like the line, "Why does it smell like wet dog?"

I won't ask why Dracula has Jawas working for him...it is what it is. I won't ask why the brides can give birth at all seeing as how when you become a vampire you're the living dead which would imply your reproductive organs no longer work... I'm more distracted by Van Helsing's mysterious loin cloth that just came out of nowhere, the bad CGI during the climax, the anticlimactic reveal of Van Helsing's past, and who could forget Ms. Kate Beckinsale's face materializing from the multi-colored sky. Can even visions look fake?

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, but when a major character dies, my mom asked, "are they going to come back as a monster?" She also asked why every single freakin' person in the movie except the friar seems to have super-human strength. I explained that vampires are traditionally very, very strong and it goes without saying werewolves would be too, but she made a good point. "But it just seems like it should be so easy to just eat everybody." She's not up on all the monster lore like I am, but I can see her point. It's what's wrong with the whole movie- emphasis on effects and spectacle rather than scaring anyone, or even leaving anyone in suspense like the old Universal Horror classics used to do.

m.ramius
Heh...the funny thing is is that I agree, mostly, with all of these points and agree that it's a pretty flawed movie. There's just something about it that I think is a ton of fun. A guilty pleasure that, if not taken too too seriously, can be enjoyable.

Again, given that I agree with most of the more level-headed criticisms of the movie I think that it's gotten a bit of a raw deal in the papers. Some people hate it with such a seething passion...and I can't figure out why...other than it was hyped up so much as a "summer blockbuster" so people were let down.

willofthewisp
I have to admit, we own it. Lol. Roger Ebert gave it a good review, but summer movies don't usually get good reviews so I don't think critical response has much to do with why so many people don't like it.

Kovacs86
It was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

vintageSW77
It is probably one of THE worst horror movies ive seen,the day i saw this was the day i realised that CGI isnt always best and i laughed at the ending more than any comedy id seen that year.
I sat with my mouth open and not in a good way.
Just go and buy the Universal box set and watch the originals.

The brunette vampire chick was hot though.

Scythe
Disliked this movie, very much.

Wolfie
It was just a fun movie. Don't think about it.

Final Blaxican
... This wasn't a horror movie.

So why are people calling it so?

ThunderGodEneru
I have been wondering that since the beginning of the thread...

It was a Sci-Fi action movie.

It is no more a horror movie than the Underworld series, less actually.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.