Chirstianity and Buddhism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RocasAtoll
I remember reading one of the threads here and reading something about Buddhist and Christian parable similarities. Can anyone point me to them?

Grand-Moff-Gav
Theres a line of thought that Jesus spent time in a Buddhist school...

Though what evidence for that there is, I am unsure.

Other than the Golden Rule appearing in both...i can't think of anything else.

cococryspies
Turn the other cheek?

Buddhists are all about nonviolence, which Jesus preached. So I guess they're the same in theory but not in practice. Throughout history the Christian Church has been anything but nonviolent.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by cococryspies
Turn the other cheek?

Buddhists are all about nonviolence, which Jesus preached. So I guess they're the same in theory but not in practice. Throughout history the Christian Church has been anything but nonviolent.

Jesus was pretty violent sometimes...

cococryspies
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav

Yeah, there was the whip incident in the temple, and when he was ten he turned some kid into a bird as a punishment, but he at least preached peace. Maybe his own hypocrisy set up his millions of followers for failure as well.

Symmetric Chaos

Shaolin monks can rip your heart out with their bear hands.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Shaolin monks can rip your heart out with their bear hands.

Indeed

Null ARC Avis
But Jesus can make you burn in eternal hell flame. id rather have my hurt ripped out. Jesus is WAY more badass!

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Null ARC Avis
But Jesus can make you burn in eternal hell flame. id rather have my hurt ripped out. Jesus is WAY more badass!

That is true...

divine justice is a wonderful thing isn't it. smile

Shakyamunison

Jesus was just a man, and nothing more.

Symmetric Chaos

Can he? I think that's more up to God directly.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Jesus was just a man, and nothing more.

Just like Lincoln was only a man or Buddha was only a man or Hitler was only a man. Your phrasing sells short the power an influence of a single person. Someone like Jesus is hard "just a man" in anything but an literal biological sence.

Shakyamunison
...Just like Lincoln was only a man or Buddha was only a man or Hitler was only a man. Your phrasing sells short the power an influence of a single person. Someone like Jesus is hard "just a man" in anything but an literal biological sence.

That is true, but I was replying to someone who said "But Jesus can make you burn in eternal hell flame. id rather have my hurt ripped out. Jesus is WAY more badass!". They were speaking as if Jesus was divine, or a super hero.

Symmetric Chaos
That is true, but I was replying to someone who said "But Jesus can make you burn in eternal hell flame. id rather have my hurt ripped out. Jesus is WAY more badass!". They were speaking as if Jesus was divine, or a super hero.

Ah, fair enough.

Null ARC Avis
or as a joke? lol but superhero has a nice ring to it....

Symmetric Chaos
or as a joke? lol but superhero has a nice ring to it....

Actually . . .

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/harbl_harbl/godcomics.jpg

That's a real cover. Golden Age comicbook concepts kicked ass (Nazi ass).

Null ARC Avis
HOLY SHIT!!! I want that!!!!

Grand-Moff-Gav
HOLY SHIT!!! I want that!!!!

Null, maybe you need to pull back a little, try and be less enthusiastic about your "logic and reason". Its great that you believe what you do and want to learn more about it...

However, just because its what makes most sense to you doesn't make it right, and being all evangelical about it doesn't help your credibility with other users...

I'm not trying to attack you or anything but you are comming across as a bit of a "know it all"...and from what I've seen, people aren't really reacting that well to it- and that includes the atheists...

Null ARC Avis
Null, maybe you need to pull back a little, try and be less enthusiastic about your "logic and reason". Its great that you believe what you do and want to learn more about it...

However, just because its what makes most sense to you doesn't make it right, and being all evangelical about it doesn't help your credibility with other users...

I'm not trying to attack you or anything but you are comming across as a bit of a "know it all"...and from what I've seen, people aren't really reacting that well to it- and that includes the atheists... What do you mean? I would be the first to admit i know next to nothing, but who doesn't (Socrates FTW)? But i am passionet on the subject of religion. Read Sam Harris' The End of Faith and you'll see what i mean. Religion is a dangerous thing, and we can't be quiet about it. Not any longer. The only way to defeat religion is to use logic and reason. Tell me, what am i saying that is so ridiculous? Maybe something doesn't make sense to someone because they dont understand it. Or maybe i'm missing something...
Anyways, i want that comic!!!

Grand-Moff-Gav
What do you mean? I would be the first to admit i know next to nothing, but who doesn't (Socrates FTW)? But i am passionet on the subject of religion. Read Sam Harris' The End of Faith and you'll see what i mean. Religion is a dangerous thing, and we can't be quiet about it. Not any longer. The only way to defeat religion is to use logic and reason. Tell me, what am i saying that is so ridiculous? Maybe something doesn't make sense to someone because they dont understand it. Or maybe i'm missing something...
Anyways, i want that comic!!!

Logic and Reason...is that your religion?

Admiral Akbar
Logic and Reason...is that your religion?

'A religion is a set of beliefs and practices often organized around supernatural and moral claims, and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law.'

Source: Wikipedia ( hell yeah it's reliable)

I don't think logic and reason fall in that category.

EDIT- Null has the right idea. Religion is dangerous, especially since it provides a safe atmosphere for fundamentalism. Religion is also happy with the status quo. If we had allowed Religion to dominate over science, logic, skepticism, and reason we would all be huddled around a campfire as opposed to driving cars and flying planes.

Grand-Moff-Gav
how droll.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
'A religion is a set of beliefs and practices often organized around supernatural and moral claims, and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law.'

Source: Wikipedia ( hell yeah it's reliable)

I don't think logic and reason fall in that category.

EDIT- Null has the right idea. Religion is dangerous, especially since it provides a safe atmosphere for fundamentalism. Religion is also happy with the status quo. If we had allowed Religion to dominate over science, logic, skepticism, and reason we would all be huddled around a campfire as opposed to driving cars and flying planes.

However, your definition of religion does not encompass all religions in the world. Like for example: Buddhism.

Grand-Moff-Gav
However, your definition of religion does not encompass all religions in the world. Like for example: Buddhism.

Its very difficult to define a religion:

Basically, its a belief system.

I think part of the problem is people want to forcebly divide religion from other aspects of culture when really- it is part and parcel of it.

Admiral Akbar

ehh...I find Buddhism as well as Taoism, and Confuscianism more as philosophies than religions. (opinion) It could very well be both a religion and a philosophy, but you would really need to stretch the definition of religion.

Admiral Akbar
Its very difficult to define a religion:

Basically, its a belief system.

I think part of the problem is people want to forcebly divide religion from other aspects of culture when really- it is part and parcel of it.

Not really specific enough. If buddhism is a religion based on that fact then I can say my preference of one video game over another is in fact religious.

Grand-Moff-Gav
A Belief system, not a belief.

Shakyamunison
ehh...I find Buddhism as well as Taoism, and Confuscianism more as philosophies than religions. (opinion) It could very well be both a religion and a philosophy, but you would really need to stretch the definition of religion.

The only thing that is missing from Buddhism, is a belief in a god.

Buddhism:

A set of beliefs. Yes.
A practice. Yes.
Organized around a moral claim. Yes, but more like a moral belief.
Supernatural. No.
Prayer and ritual. Twice a day.
Religious Law. Kind of... we do have what we call The Mystic Law.

Shakyamunison
A Belief system, not a belief.

Do I sense the splitting of hairs? big grin

Symmetric Chaos
Do I sense the splitting of hairs? big grin

Organ vs Organ System

Human vs Society

There's a great difference between one thing and the system it's part of.

Symmetric Chaos
The only thing that is missing from Buddhism, is a belief in a god.

Buddhism:

A set of beliefs. Yes.
A practice. Yes.
Organized around a moral claim. Yes, but more like a moral belief.
Supernatural. No.
Prayer and ritual. Twice a day.
Religious Law. Kind of... we do have what we call The Mystic Law.

Supernatural: Reincarnation, Karma, Nirvana
Religious Law: Eightfold Path, Middle Way, Four Noble Truths

Grand-Moff-Gav
Organ vs Organ System

Human vs Society

Thanks.

Admiral Akbar
Organ vs Organ System

Human vs Society

So then would you declare secular humanism as a religion? It's a system of beliefs is it not?

Symmetric Chaos
So then would you declare secular humanism as a religion? It's a system of beliefs is it not?

No, there's no supernatural aspect to it. A literal religion needs that but for something to be a religion in the colloquial (which what I assume GMG meant when he called Logic a religion) that isn't really required, just ritualism and/or devotion.

Grand-Moff-Gav
No, there's no supernatural aspect to it. A literal religion needs that but for something to be a religion in the colloquial (which what I assume GMG meant when he called Logic a religion) that isn't really required, just ritualism and/or devotion.

He's got it.

Admiral Akbar

It's still a system of beliefs though isn't it? My point is that defining religion as a system of beliefs isn't really specific enough. Since something like humanism doesn't need to be religious to hold a system of beliefs.

Symmetric Chaos
It's still a system of beliefs though isn't it? My point is that defining religion as a system of beliefs isn't really specific enough. Since something like humanism doesn't need to be religious to hold a system of beliefs.

I wasn't the one who said a religion was merely a system of beliefs.

Admiral Akbar
I wasn't the one who said a religion was merely a system of beliefs.

Then I shall re-direct the question to GMG.

Null ARC Avis
Lol, i pray to Logic and Reason. yep. Darwin, Socrates, and Anderson Cooper (HE IS AWESOME!!!!) are my gods.

Admiral Akbar
Cooper....Seriously? doh

Symmetric Chaos
Lol, i pray to Logic and Reason. yep. Darwin, Socrates, and Anderson Cooper (HE IS AWESOME!!!!) are my gods.

My god would beat them all without even trying.

Admiral Akbar
My god would beat them all without even trying.

I'm God.

Null ARC Avis
What do you have against Cooper? He's sexy! (sorry....he is!) But really, i rather like Cooper. Whats wrong with him? Are you jealous that he is sexier than you?

Symmetric Chaos
I'm God.

Not my god though.

Admiral Akbar
What do you have against Cooper? He's sexy! (sorry....he is!) But really, i rather like Cooper. Whats wrong with him? Are you jealous that he is sexier than you?

Do you like him as a person, or as a journalist? If it's the latter then we have a serious problem.

Admiral Akbar
Not my god though.

So what? You're an atheist now?

Null ARC Avis
Why do you think he is a bad journalist? I dont find anything wrong with his journalistic abilites, although they aren't godly, they are still above par.

Symmetric Chaos
So what? You're an atheist now?

How would referring to a personal god make me an atheist?

Admiral Akbar
How would referring to a personal god make me an atheist?

I'm God, if you don't believe in me, but instead of another god you are an atheist in that respect.

Admiral Akbar
Why do you think he is a bad journalist? I dont find anything wrong with his journalistic abilites, although they aren't godly, they are still above par.

he..is...bias.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
I remember reading one of the threads here and reading something about Buddhist and Christian parable similarities. Can anyone point me to them?

Christianity is Abrahamic, Buddhism is Dharmic. Buddhism denies the self, soul, afterlife, sin, reality as we see it, and Buddhists wonder what this thing called "god" is.

I'm sorry, but where are the similarites??

Devil King
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
reality as we see it

Is that such a bad thing?

Quiero Mota
No, but I want someone to answer my question. Where are the similarites? The differences seem to really outweigh them.

Devil King
The similarities between Buddhism and Christianity?

Quiero Mota
Yes.

Devil King
Yes.

I'm cool with that. (Even when it's a commercialized acceptance of buddhism wink) But what I'm not cool with is how rarely the supporters of Christianity take the time to consider that their religion, New Testament-self-espoused version, runs congruently with Buddhism. Sadly, more often than not, it's subscribers cling to the Old Testament as a defining factor in their own religion. You and I both agree that Jesus himself would be ashamed of his own followers, for the most part. Most of the pro-Jesus members that have posted in this thread would likely be shocked by their Messiah's attitude towards homosexuals. At this point, we have the major media outlets talking about "Virgin Births" in a shark. I'm sadly stunned by how many people will ignore the absurdity of the virgin-birth story of an asexual shark reproduction in favor of saying how logical it is for a human to do it in favor of an all=knowing god sending a mythical creature to earth in order to facilitate such an event on his/her/it's own behalf. At least Buddha figured it all out on his own. At least he didn't feel the need to claim god needed him as much as we supposedly need God. The Christians simply say they know it all because god decided to favor them and impart some measure of absolute enlightenment to them via that favoritism. I think there is a very large and obvious difference between self-enlightenment and looking to the obviously and blatant unknown for our answers.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Devil King
I'm cool with that. (Even when it's a commercialized acceptance of buddhism wink) But what I'm not cool with is how rarely the supporters of Christianity take the time to consider that their religion, New Testament-self-espoused version, runs congruently with Buddhism. Sadly, more often than not, it's subscribers cling to the Old Testament as a defining factor in their own religion. You and I both agree that Jesus himself would be ashamed of his own followers, for the most part. Most of the pro-Jesus members that have posted in this thread would likely be shocked by their Messiah's attitude towards homosexuals. At this point, we have the major media outlets talking about "Virgin Births" in a shark. I'm sadly stunned by how many people will ignore the absurdity of the virgin-birth story of an asexual shark reproduction in favor of saying how logical it is for a human to do it in favor of an all=knowing god sending a mythical creature to earth in order to facilitate such an event on his/her/it's own behalf. At least Buddha figured it all out on his own. At least he didn't feel the need to claim god needed him as much as we supposedly need God. The Christians simply say they know it all because god decided to favor them and impart some measure of absolute enlightenment to them via that favoritism. I think there is a very large and obvious difference between self-enlightenment and looking to the obviously and blatant unknown for our answers.

Your hate has made you powerful.

Shakyamunison
Supernatural: Reincarnation, Karma, Nirvana
Religious Law: Eightfold Path, Middle Way, Four Noble Truths

Reincarnation is not a part of the Buddhism I practice. It is a personal belief, and no one is required to believe in it. I really believe in Simultaneous Incarnation and not reincarnation, but most people don't know the difference.

Karma, on the other hand, is not supernatural if you remove the reincarnation part.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Reincarnation is not a part of the Buddhism I practice. It is a personal belief, and no one is required to believe in it. I really believe in Simultaneous Incarnation and not reincarnation, but most people don't know the difference.

Karma, on the other hand, is not supernatural if you remove the reincarnation part.

Depends on your definition of supernatural.

DigiMark007
It's spiritually re-packaged determinism. Karma isn't exactly supernatural, so I'll agree with shakya there. It's just needlessly mystic.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It's spiritually re-packaged determinism. Karma isn't exactly supernatural, so I'll agree with shakya there. It's just needlessly mystic.

Some people make it mystic, but I don't. Simply put, if cause and effect is water, then Karma is the river. I don't see Karma as determinism, and Karma should not be used as an excuse. Karma is the fabric of cause and effect that has brought you were you are at this moment.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King

I agree. If Jesus ever returns, he would be appalled by most of his self-proclaimed followers. I remember last year, my son Joe told me that a couple members of the Westboro Baptist Church were at his campus with there usual signs, and one of them got into a heated argument with a Hindu student. They called him an idol-worshipping pagan and that he won't be able to meditate when he's burning in hell. The Hindu then mentioned the famous quote by Gandhi about how so many Christians are unlike their Christ. The WBC guy then said that Gandhi was in hell, the Hindu responded that Gandhi was not a Christian but he was more like Jesus than he ever will be.

Symmetric Chaos
I really believe in Simultaneous Incarnation and not reincarnation, but most people don't know the difference.

What is the difference? I've never heard of Simultaneous Incarnation.

But with reincarnation it is and plenty of Buddhists believe in that, so those ones at least are religious. And Karma in any form is sufficiently mystical in that "the universe balances itself" for a reason not based on science that I see it as essentially supernatural.

Shakyamunison
What is the difference? I've never heard of Simultaneous Incarnation.

But with reincarnation it is and plenty of Buddhists believe in that, so those ones at least are religious. And Karma in any form is sufficiently mystical in that "the universe balances itself" for a reason not based on science that I see it as essentially supernatural.

Sure, there are people who look at science in a mystical way. You can look at anything and make it mystical.

Karma has nothing to do with balance. I have a thread that gives a detailed description of Karma. You should check it out, because I think your opinion of Karma is based on Christian propaganda.

Symmetric Chaos
Sure, there are people who look at science in a mystical way. You can look at anything and make it mystical.

Karma has nothing to do with balance. I have a thread that gives a detailed description of Karma. You should check it out, because I think your opinion of Karma is based on Christian propaganda.

I'd call it Hindu/Secular rather than Christian . . .

Shakyamunison
I'd call it Hindu/Secular rather than Christian . . .

However, there is a big difference between Karma as defined by the Hindu and Buddhist religions. Buddha used and redefined the Hindu term Karma to better fit his teachings.

Grand-Moff-Gav
However, there is a big difference between Karma as defined by the Hindu and Buddhist religions. Buddha used and redefined the Hindu term Karma to better fit his teachings.

So he stole it?

Mindship
You can look at anything and make it mystical.

DowJones.

Shakyamunison
So he stole it?

Used it is more like it. He had to find ways to teach ignorant people. They knew what Karma was, so all he had to do was redefine the term. In many ways it would be better if he had used a new term, but he was very practical.

Null ARC Avis
Doesn't Buddhism have a few demi-gods? Like there are four of them or something, and they help guide people, or something along those lines? I am pretty ignorant of Buddhism, but have no problem whatsoever with it.

Shakyamunison
Doesn't Buddhism have a few demi-gods? Like there are four of them or something, and they help guide people, or something along those lines? I am pretty ignorant of Buddhism, but have no problem whatsoever with it.

Buddhism has a Mythology, but it is just stories that help illustrate the teaching of Buddha. No one in their right mind would read a Sutra (teaching of Buddha) and take it literally.

Quiero Mota
Buddhism has a Mythology, but it is just stories that help illustrate the teaching of Buddha. No one in their right mind would read a Sutra (teaching of Buddha) and take it literally.

I had a Vietnamese employee who took it literally.

Symmetric Chaos
Buddhism has a Mythology.

Religion.

Shakyamunison
I had a Vietnamese employee who took it literally.

I'm sorry to hear that. However, it is his Karma.

Grand-Moff-Gav
I'm sorry to hear that. However, it is his Karma.

Lets not judge now...

Shakyamunison
Lets not judge now...

confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.