Doom 4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_4

If you thought Doom 3 was the last, think again.

SaTsuJiN
so.. will it be scary.. or arcade-shooter ish like some of the regular doom expans?

Smasandian
Hopefully its scary.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X

If you thought Doom 3 was the last, think again.

Thats what people were thinking when they made Final Doom roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
Hopefully it will be doom 3 with better controls, improved graphics, more compelling level designs a better balance of action and horror and a shoulder mounted flashlight.

i wouldnt expect to see this game for 3 or 4 years though.

Ridley_Prime
Finally, a trailer. Looks awesome.

npQ8JqHx3io

I guess this'll make up for me not getting the expansion version of Doom 3 on the 360, since I now have the system.

Kazenji
Looks like this Doom 2 re-told

Smasandian
That's not Doom 4.

Its Rage, another ID Software game. That will be released before Doom 4. Even says it at the end.

Kazenji, are you saying that the trailer looks like Doom 2 being re-told?

If so, I have no clue where you got that. Doom 2 does not have a major gameplay element of driving everywhere.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian

Kazenji, are you saying that the trailer looks like Doom 2 being re-told?

If so, I have no clue where you got that. Doom 2 does not have a major gameplay element of driving everywhere.

No shit!!.......of course there are no cars to drive in Doom 2 but Thats not what i ment roll eyes (sarcastic)

I ment being retold story wise.

Smasandian
What do you mean story wise?

It has nothing to do with Doom.

Kazenji
'Doom 2: Hell on earth' remember that title

Well this Doom 4 looks like its on earth with the demons, Get the picture now ?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Finally, a trailer. Looks awesome.

npQ8JqHx3io

I guess this'll make up for me not getting the expansion version of Doom 3 on the 360, since I now have the system.

thats not doom 4, dude. You can't fool me becuase it even says that the name of the game is, Rage laughing out loud Seriously, i thought maybe i had missed something because i was thinking the whole time, this isn't doom it's mad max but then all was explained at the end of the video. I was going to say, if thats doom then the developers really dropped the ball because there is nothing in that video that even slightly resembles the Doom story or game play.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah. I kinda realized I misinterpreted something someone said on another forum after reading Smasandian's reply as I posted the vid. I was just too caught up in the excitement that I didn't watch the vid before posting it (I just assumed it was a Doom 4 trailer since I saw the name mentioned). embarrasment Rage is made by the same developers too, so it kinda threw me off..

But yeah, sorry about that man. Wasn't trying to fool anyone. erm Next time I'll watch something completely before jumping to conclusions. stick out tongue
*really embarrassed by this*

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
'Doom 2: Hell on earth' remember that title

Well this Doom 4 looks like its on earth with the demons, Get the picture now ?

Does it look like a Doom game?

No.

Does it have demons in it?

No.

Does it involve tight corridors?

No.

Thus has nothing to do with Doom. Story, gameplay and setting wise.

Its very similar to Mad Max. Apocalyptic earth, driving around with mutants running around.

Ridley_Prime
Um.. yeah. About that, Doom 3 is esentially a remake of the first Doom, and the expansion version of Doom 3 is a remake of Doom II (with hell on earth and what not). Doom 4 on the other hand is going to be something new/original, not a retelling of a previous story.

AC/DC'S_LVR
the movie better be better this time around roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kazenji
Um.. yeah. About that, Doom 3 is esentially a remake of the first Doom, and the expansion version of Doom 3 is a remake of Doom II (with hell on earth and what not). Doom 4 on the other hand is going to be something new/original, not a retelling of a previous story.

Thats pretty much what i was trying to say but Smasandian here could'nt get his head around it cept for this Doom 4 trailer which is now revealed to be for the new game 'Rage'

Also for the expansion for Doom 3 are you its set on earth i seem to read for it it being set on one of the moons around mars.

Its very similar to Mad Max. Apocalyptic earth, driving around with mutants running around.

Obvisouly thats bullshit now since its been revealed that video for for the new game 'Rage'.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by AC/DC'S_LVR
the movie better be better this time around roll eyes (sarcastic)

lol The Doom movie.. I remember it. That was a total flop. It became just one of those generic horror movies, and the monsters didn't even have their projectile attacks like in the games. Instead, there was just stuff like Hell Knights with chainsaws (What the f**k? ), and the BFG 9000 served little to no purpose in the movie. Oh, and let's not forget The Rock's terrible acting in the film (Karl Urban did an okay job though, but even he couldn't prevent it from sucking). One of the worst video game adaptions ever..

P_6bn2H3BoA

Thats pretty much what i was trying to say but Smasandian here could'nt get his head around it cept for this Doom 4 trailer which is now revealed to be for the new game 'Rage'

Also for the expansion for Doom 3 are you its set on earth i seem to read for it it being set on one of the moons around mars.
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if the expansion version was set on earth, but I remember reading somewhere that it was, and it kinda makes sense to me that it would for some reason.

But yeah. Sorry again for letting people's hopes up with that Rage trailer. lol It really did look like a Doom game at first though.

Ridley_Prime
Hmm... Now here's something to think about. What do you think the next 'ultimate weapon' will be in Doom 4? In the first 2 games, it was the BFG 9000. In Doom 3, it was the Soul Cube which gave you health upon killing demons with it (and was the only thing capable of defeating Hell's mightiest warrior, the Cyberdemon), and then there was the Soul Stone in the expansion version of Doom 3, which would slow down time, allowing you to use deadly (but slow) weapons on the fast enemies, like the final boss.

Makes me wonder what new ultimate weapon they'll come up with next, though it'll probably be akin to the way the Soul Cube and Soul Stone were used, or they may surprise us with something completely different.

Nemesis X
I hope they bring the Cyberdemon back. That is one of the coolest monsters I have ever seen in the Doom series.

Ridley_Prime
Same here. smile I hope they bring back the Maledict too for that matter (the dragon-like creature that appears in the ending cutscene after you defeat the Cyberdemon in Doom 3. He's the final boss of the Doom 3 expansion).

ragesRemorse
Yeah. I kinda realized I misinterpreted something someone said on another forum after reading Smasandian's reply as I posted the vid. I was just too caught up in the excitement that I didn't watch the vid before posting it (I just assumed it was a Doom 4 trailer since I saw the name mentioned). embarrasment Rage is made by the same developers too, so it kinda threw me off..

But yeah, sorry about that man. Wasn't trying to fool anyone. erm Next time I'll watch something completely before jumping to conclusions. stick out tongue
*really embarrassed by this*

laughing out loud thats cool dude, i was just fvking with you. I just thought it was funny how it says the name of the game at then end.

ragesRemorse
Hmm... Now here's something to think about. What do you think the next 'ultimate weapon' will be in Doom 4? In the first 2 games, it was the BFG 9000. In Doom 3, it was the Soul Cube which gave you health upon killing demons with it (and was the only thing capable of defeating Hell's mightiest warrior, the Cyberdemon), and then there was the Soul Stone in the expansion version of Doom 3, which would slow down time, allowing you to use deadly (but slow) weapons on the fast enemies, like the final boss.

Makes me wonder what new ultimate weapon they'll come up with next, though it'll probably be akin to the way the Soul Cube and Soul Stone were used, or they may surprise us with something completely different.

I would like to see the BFG return but instead of being an energy gun it should be a mini nuke launcher kind of like in fallout 3 but more satisfying. Either that or a laser cutter. A gun that fires a beam that slices through anything it touches...,that offers much potential for good ol fashion gore. I would also like to see some focus on melee combat. Melee combat is something that the Doom series really needs. It would be righteous if they introduced grenades that could be planted on demons like gears 2.

Smasandian

Obvisouly thats bullshit now since its been revealed that video for for the new game 'Rage'.

What can't I get my head around.

That the Rage trailer has nothing to do with the Doom franchise?

Burning thought
I think the BFG should be a laser still, just not the last and most powerful weapon, but I like the laser cutting idea, I think it should be an extremely effective yet highly usable weapon, its balancing should consist of more than just hard to find ammo...perhaps certain enemies explode if its used on them or the weapon can kill entire armies of demons but their carcasses left behind from using it can deal huge damage if you walk on them.

Nemesis X
What kind of demons do you think will be in store for us in Doom 4? I think there should be a creature that hunts you down through the entire game kinda like Nemesis hunting Jill in RE3, and Pyramid Head hunting James in SH2.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
laughing out loud thats cool dude, i was just fvking with you. I just thought it was funny how it says the name of the game at then end.
Ah, okay. Thanks for understanding then. stick out tongue

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I would like to see the BFG return but instead of being an energy gun it should be a mini nuke launcher kind of like in fallout 3 but more satisfying. Either that or a laser cutter. A gun that fires a beam that slices through anything it touches...,that offers much potential for good ol fashion gore. I would also like to see some focus on melee combat. Melee combat is something that the Doom series really needs. It would be righteous if they introduced grenades that could be planted on demons like gears 2.
Whoa! Now that ya mention it, that would do the BFG some justice (more-so than both versions of Doom 3 did anyway), especially that laser cutter part. Wow.. Good idea man.

As for melee combat, I guess I agree on that too. The PDA in Doom 3 and what not were great new features for their time, and having some types of melee combat would suffice for a sequel just as well.

Originally posted by Burning thought
I think the BFG should be a laser still, just not the last and most powerful weapon, but I like the laser cutting idea, I think it should be an extremely effective yet highly usable weapon, its balancing should consist of more than just hard to find ammo...perhaps certain enemies explode if its used on them or the weapon can kill entire armies of demons but their carcasses left behind from using it can deal huge damage if you walk on them.
Hmm. That could work..

Also, I think maybe the BFG should take like, a little less time to "charge up" after firing the weapon than it did in the previous games (especially Doom 3). That just got annoying after awhile, and made it especially hard to hit fast roaming enemies with it.

What kind of demons do you think will be in store for us in Doom 4? I think there should be a creature that hunts you down through the entire game kinda like Nemesis hunting Jill in RE3, and Pyramid Head hunting James in SH2.
The Maledict (Doom 3 expansion final boss) kinda already did that. stick out tongue

Tb5i3OzwKmU

I hope they use that idea again though, but in a slightly different fashion, such as the examples you mentioned.

Nemesis X
Or better yet, ride the Maledict before you fight it. Kinda like in Gears 2: ride the Brumak, kill it later.

I hope to god those demons that look like human infants don't return. They scare the heck out of me.

Ridley_Prime
Wow, there's some older posts here that had me being an idiot back then, but anyway..

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/1/5862580/doom-quakecon-2014-exclusive

I don't like that kind of "marketing" more often than not, but at least they're hyping it somehow I guess.

jinXed by JaNx
They need a demon with tentacles that's all I know

Ridley_Prime
In Doom 3 there were those commando guys with the tentacle arm things if you count that.

Reposted from one of the other threads, because why not.

cYjR5UzhcZA

Smasandian
The strange thing is that I enjoyed Doom 3 and if they released a similar version in 2014, it would be something fresh because it's not a military shooter.

It's weird how things like that go in circles.

Kazenji
A mod for the first Doom

mn2J4Loe57g

Smasandian
Interesting.

I'm looking forward to Doom 4. I'm hoping the action is a bit faster than Doom 3 but still have the creepy and awesome atmosphere.

Nemesis X
From the details given from somebody who attended the Quakecon and had an exclusive view of the gameplay, the action will be faster. Crouching is removed, double jump is in, and there will be MK-style finishers like pulling the hearts out of lesser demons.

This will not be a sequel to Doom 3 and will be another reboot where you once again venture around Mars and Hell thanks to scientists and their Ouija boards. Personally, I wanted the game to be set on an apocalyptic Earth after the events of Resurrection of Evil.

Smasandian
Yeah, that would of been damn sweet.

I guess we will have to see but that's not really the game I want to play.

Kazenji
NteAPGprDJk

galOoNQ483Q

Tzeentch
Wasn't too impressed personally. I mean it looks gorgeous but the gameplay just seeme so overdone by this point, there's really nothing there except the brand. I can already see that I'll more or less be getting the same experience from Halo 5 but without vehicles.

As for the MP... lol. Those servers will be empty within a year after release.

Kazenji
I'm sorta impressed by what's been shown, But i feel the finisher moves were done better in the Doom 1 mod "Brutal Doom".

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Wasn't too impressed personally. I mean it looks gorgeous but the gameplay just seeme so overdone by this point, there's really nothing there except the brand. I can already see that I'll more or less be getting the same experience from Halo 5 but without vehicles.

As for the MP... lol. Those servers will be empty within a year after release.
Yeah, based on the gameplay there so far, doesn't reek too much of anything you haven't seen already. They may have waited too long to release this... This prolly would have done better/kicked more ass during last gen, but I'm hoping at least it'll have the kind of atmospheres of the versions of Doom 3 in addition to the audio logs, etc. Expand on those areas more and have some new mystical weapons or something so that it's not essentially a vehicleless Halo.

Never played Doom for the multiplayer, so I could see that. If games like Titanfall already have empty servers (from people I know/hear who have them), I don't see why this game would last that long online. lol

Estacado
Some "better gameplay" Cyberdemon looks pretty boss!

AXhpg9Qx6l0

Smasandian
I thought it looked pretty good.

It does look faster and the combat looks fun. I'm hoping the setting is as immersive as what they have shown (the cool looking play back feature in the demo) and it combines the old school action with the Doom 3 atmosphere.

It's definitely worth the look. Even though developers are going away from the CoD clones, corridor shooters like these are still a bit lacking. I'm hoping it makes up for it.

Nemesis X
The gameplay is definitely paying more homage to the traditional run and gunning from the classic arcade DOOM but DOOM 3 grew on me so much with it's slower pacing and terrifyingly intense atmosphere in such unsettling environments. I feel conflicted.

Smasandian
I know. I feel the same. I really enjoyed Doom 3 when it came out. I remember buying my first high end computer to play the game (and Half Life 2, which came out the same year....) and I remember buying the PC Gamer magazine that had the review. It came out exactly at the right time for games that provide incredible atmosphere and it had it in spades. I was terrified when I played it.

I hope Doom has that as well, even if the increase the speed of the combat.

Things I didn't like in the demo is how the ammo and health items pop out. I thought it was pretty shit and I hate that in games. What's the point of creating this uber detailed landscape and have something incredible fake looking with the ammo/health.

Also, I don't like how the context sensitive melee kills...It seems a bit passe and I don't like how it changes colour when you wittle down the health. I feel if you want to feel like old Doom, you make feel like old Doom and don't add shit like this. It's not needed.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, am hopeful too. Definitely getting it either way, but I feel the same as Nemesis on it pretty much. I'd rather feel possibly terrified of demon possessed scientists and marines in not knowing when they'll pop around certain corners and those short WTF cutscenes of newer creatures. I mean just think of horror settings/scenarios they could have with Hell Knights and Cyberdemons where you have very limited ammo and things compared to them being "Oh great, more big guys I gotta run and dump quite a few clips into".

And at the same time I appreciate the closer feel this has to the classic Dooms, so phuck.

Kazenji
Feels like they looked at that Doom 1 mod for idea's.

Zack Fair
I'm pumped. Will be a good throwback. Action looks very visceral which is great for a Doom game. Hope it keeps the atmosphere from Doom 3 and that we get to use the playback feature thing a lot.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Estacado
Some "better gameplay" Cyberdemon looks pretty boss!

AXhpg9Qx6l0

Not too sure about that design for a Hell level, The design from Doom 3 felt better to me.

Nemesis X
Glad I'm not the only one. The Hell in 3 was a lot more terrifying as it was freaking dark with lava and souls of the damned illuminating the fields covered in blood, skulls and castle ruins crawling with demons. It made me a nervous wreck first time I went through it. The Hell I'm looking at in the reboot looks....not as intimidating. I'll say that much.

Smasandian
It's hard to say because it's only a video.

Or maybe because they want to go with a different feel that Hell isn't supposed to be like Doom 3's.

Kazenji
Fans Are 'Fixing' The New Doom's Colours, Speed

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/06/fans-are-fixing-the-new-dooms-colors-speed/

Ridley_Prime
Well at least the Cacodemons there look creepier and closer to the original than the Doom 3 version. I wonder if we'll have Hell Knights/Barons of Hell looking more like minotaurs like the classic version too, etc.

And yeah, hope there's more to Hell (appearance-wise) than what was shown there.

Kazenji
I can see this game being modded on PC to make it more like the other games.

Smasandian
I really don't like the colour outlines when you can perform an instakill. Hopefully you can turn that off but it's totally distracting for me.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, I can't see myself using that too much, unless I have to in tight spots for nightmare difficulty or something.

Smasandian
True.

I know it's a small thing but it just reminds me of modern military shooters.

Nemesis X
JTfe7V-_3r0

Smasandian
Looks good but I think they missed the boat on that type of MP. If they released it a few years ago, it would be considered somewhat "fresh" compared to every other modern shooter Call of Duty wannabe.

Now, it does seem a lot of MP's are going towards that old school Unreal Tourney/Quake vibe.

Ridley_Prime
Indeed. Did like how it seemed to have a playable demon though. Should've had more of that kind of thing instead of the rest being the type of multiplayer everyone's done before.

Smasandian
True. But a lot of games also do the idea of playing as the enemy type against peeps.

If it's polished to a sheen and fun, it could have legs but that could also depend on how well the SP is.

Nemesis X
ybo30QlSk64

Smasandian
Do the character models look too cartoony?

Maybe it's just me but I'm not getting the same vibes from the models than I did with Doom 3 (which I absolutely loved)

Kazenji
Maybe for some of the enemies

those skeleton demon's (Yeah i know they have a proper name) look nice.

Smasandian
They do. It looks fun.

I just hope they're is some type of horror element with the game. With all this talk about bringing Doom back to its root, it's not just about how fast the gameplay is. Horror was a huge part of Doom's success when it was released.

Nemesis X
Do the character models look too cartoony?

Looks more like a comic book similar to The Darkness II's design. Because the first DOOM is colorful and the reboot is basically the same game getting a more modern touch, the choice of graphic style seems appropriate IMO.

Smasandian
I guess.

I guess I never attributed Doom as being colourful. I always felt it was very brown.

cdtm
It was brown.

Except for the neon seizure inducing hallways.

Ridley_Prime
Still like how the Cacodemon looks much closer to its classic Doom appearance, but not sure how to feel about the other monster designs yet. Kinda mixed on them. Game looks fun though and I guess May's a good time for its release for me.

Nemesis X
Not only the Cacos but I also like the Pinky demon design.

Still gonna miss it's Doom 3 version though.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/19005462/images/1336363091779.jpg

Smasandian
I liked Doom 3, and I enjoyed most of the designs in it.

I always forget how long the game is. The website, "howlongtobeat" says most people completed it in 11 hours but I remember it taking way longer than that.

Kazenji
Most likely they played it on the easy difficulty.

Nemesis X
http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w786-h1015-q90-c786:1015/wp-content/uploads/Doom-2016-Xbox-One-Cover-Art.jpg

Not even Master Chief can make a waterfall of urine behind him look epic.

Tzeentch
That the first thing you think of upon seeing that cover is a comparison to Master Chief says a lot about what the game is going for with its imagery there. It definitely evokes the MC vibe.

Kazenji
I guess gone are the days from getting a kick ass cover from an actual artist.

Ridley_Prime
The Doomguy/marine's previous designs, while nothing breathtaking, at least had its own uniqueness and identity to them, but I guess to modernize him they wanted his appearance to look more like other character designs from shooters you know, MC especially...

Regardless, having the Revenant or something that's been on Doom game covers before like Hell Knight or Cyberdemon on the cover for this game would've been preferable, and reached out to any Doom fan more than well... that.

cdtm
I guess gone are the days from getting a kick ass cover from an actual artist.

If only we could reach back in time and have the 2600 artists make todays box art..

Smasandian
Well, it's not very good at all but covers don't mean as much as they used too.

Nemesis X
It doesn't help if someone new to the franchise was at a Gamestop glancing shelves and mistook it for Halo, Section 8 or Black Ops at the corner of his eye and move on. Now if it had a cover as eye catching as the first Doom's, he would go over and check that out and maybe even buy it.

Smasandian
True.

It's a piece of shit cover.

Nemesis X
The developer has listened to our criticisms of their generic boxart and we'll be getting a reverse cover to suit our demon slaying needs.

Not sure why they don't just replace the front cover overall really but at least I don't have to keep looking at it when it comes out.

Kazenji
Out of those two i prefer the top one

also Seen the Funko Pop's for this new Doom game, One of the Marine & another of the new Cyberdemon.

Nemesis X
kNFUAH3V1U4

Nemesis X
The DOOM 3 BFG Edition is finally backwards compatible with Xbox One. Thought I'd mention that.

Also there will be a $40 season pass for the multiplayer. I'll give the devs credit they made a fun mode I can sink time into with a customs feature infinitely better than Halo 5's but unless the DLC had single player expansions on Resurrection of Evil levels of awesome, I'm going to have to say no thanks.

Ridley_Prime
Wouldn't be a true 'current gen' game if Doom wasn't tainted by that sort of DLC practice somehow, and $40 is pretty much the norm now, sadly. So that's like, how much money per extra map and such if you get the season pass? May as well use that amount of money to get another game altogether.

As mentioned, only paid DLC I'd ever get for Doom is another campaign episode or expansion.

Ridley_Prime
... Am I the only one still kinda disappointed with the new Cyberdemon design? He looked awesome from that first teaser shown of him, but then when you see him in-game, it looks like he took a trip to Blizzard or someplace to be some kind of WoW monster reject. Generic looking space monster with flashy lights, doesn't look nearly demonic enough. Nothing about it that instills some kind of fear or intimidation when you see it like with Cyberdemon's classic and Doom 3 designs. I hope to have an "Oh shit" feel/moment when I see & encounter him in this new game, but am not sure I'll get that really... And if he proves to be this game's Warden Eternal, that'll just make matters worse.

The other monster designs like Revenant and Cacodemon still look spot-on, but wish they had made Cybey look as newly unique.

Kazenji
The DOOM 3 BFG Edition is finally backwards compatible with Xbox One. Thought I'd mention that.

They made some stupid changes with Doom 1 & 2 from that edition.

Ridley_Prime
What changes?

Zack Fair
I was hyped for this but then Overwatch and Uncharted appeared and it was GG.

Smasandian
Meh, Overwatch is not that good. Uncharted 4 will probably be completed in 2-3 days so you can probably still play it when it gets released on Friday.....

I'm going to wait for reviews.

Zack Fair
Meh, Overwatch is not that good. Uncharted 4 will probably be completed in 2-3 days so you can probably still play it when it gets released on Friday.....

I'm going to wait for reviews.

Funny cause that is just your opinion. I played OW this weekend and found it fun and addictive. I know I would get my money's worth.

Budget is limited so Doom will have to wait if I ever get it((already bought UC)

Ridley_Prime
Meh. How fun Overwatch is depends on how many people you know that you're playing it with. If it's only you and like one other you know doing your own strategy while everyone else goes out there as Bastion or some crap, the intended point of the game is kinda lost.

Still getting it too later, but another fresh Doom I've waited years and years for longer than most games, so kinda obvious what I feel I should get first.

Smasandian
I just think there is a superior game in TF2. As a shooter, it's meh.

Kazenji
What changes?

-Removal of the red cross symbol on medpacks and berserker packs (the International Red Cross have been complaining about what they regard as the abuse of this symbol in video games). Instead, the pickups bear a red and white medicine capsule.

-Removal of all Nazi references, including the Swastika, Hitler's portrait, furniture and textures (to make the game legal in Germany).

that last one is also on all versions i believe, Rather stupid should've limited it just for Germany

Ridley_Prime
Sounds like they didn't have much choice in those changes then, and they're kinda trivial changes at best, but I know what ya mean.

7oe8OmFitp8

Snapmap already makes Halo's Forge look, for lack of better word, obsolete.

Kazenji
Sounds like they didn't have much choice in those changes then, and they're kinda trivial changes at best, but I know what ya mean.

And that medikit logo, What about all the other games that have it....smh

Eh.....i'll get the original's unedited ones next time they're on special through one of the digital stores for PC.

Zack Fair

7oe8OmFitp8

Snapmap already makes Halo's Forge look, for lack of better word, obsolete. To be fair Forge is ancient.

Tzeentch
The game doesn't really appeal to me and I doubt I'll be getting it, but that map-creator mode looks really fun; props to Bethesda for that.

Smasandian
Yeah, I wonder how robust it actually is. From the video, it looks like you can create some awesome scenarios similar to the map editor in Starcraft where tower defense, DOTA's became common place.

I also agree regarding the game. I tried the MP and it was Ok. I'm waiting to see how the campaign fairs. If it's similar to Doom 3 but faster and crazier than I will probably get it. If it's just faster and crazier but without any heavy story element, meh. But I will say it would be nice to play a shooter that isn't open world, survival-ish or modern.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The game doesn't really appeal to me and I doubt I'll be getting it, but that map-creator mode looks really fun; props to Bethesda for that.
Bethesda's only the publisher (props goes to ID software), and they're most likely the reason the game's got that bastard season pass for the multiplayer.

I look forward to Snapmap recreations of classic Doom levels, and whatnot.

Nemesis X
Imagine DOOM 3 but replace that marine with the one from the first DOOM and that's your DOOM 4 campaign in a nutshell. Kind of. It's actually pretty fun. Not as scary as the last game unfortunately but being a reboot going back to it's arcade roots, Doomguy is supposed to be this ultimate badass so it's understandable.

Kazenji
I'm surprised not to see the other Dooms weren't on sale through the various PC digital stores, Well the ones i normally use anyway.

Ridley_Prime
Imagine DOOM 3 but replace that marine with the one from the first DOOM and that's your DOOM 4 campaign in a nutshell. Kind of. It's actually pretty fun. Not as scary as the last game unfortunately but being a reboot going back to it's arcade roots, Doomguy is supposed to be this ultimate badass so it's understandable.
And the background lore they gave for Doomguy by the point in which you reach Hell... That changes my perception of him forever. thumb up

Ridley_Prime
The campaign length is pretty much on par with Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil. Not too short, but not too long or dragged out like Doom II or original Doom 3 either. Plus all the good secrets, upgrading weapon mods & runes, completing challenges, and stuff to go along with the replay value.

One of the secrets I really love is finding those levers to pull where you open a nearby hidden area with a classic map in old-school graphics, which you unlock said maps to play outside of the main campaign.

And never thought I'd be doing this in a Doom game, but I actually went through most of it with mostly the pistol (granted, I wasn't on Ultra Violence difficulty or something). Doesn't use ammo, and the pistol's charge shot ability after you fully upgrade it just makes it a force to be reckoned with; I was evading Hell Knights and shit that were coming at me while charging it up, and put them into a stunned/stagger mode after a few shots. Everyone else I guess be running through with their shotgun or chaingun, but not me this time. lol Do kinda miss the save spamming feature of the previous games though, as opposed to the checkpoint system.

Multiplayer still seems fairly solid. Like how leveling up unlocks some monsters, armor and loadout things, etc. Snapmap though, while pretty innovative as it was shown, seems to have been a little rushed, with some of its current bugs it has that they'll hopefully fix soon.

I know this forum isn't that active anymore to discuss these kind of games, but this really is one of the best series reboots in years. Give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, at the very least.

Smasandian
I'm definitely enjoying this game. I think it hits the perfect blend of nostalgia.

cdtm
Wow, this looks great.

"Almost" as good as Serious Sam. smile

cdtm
http://kotaku.com/modders-are-recreating-the-new-doom-in-old-doom-games-1778751207

That didn't take long.

Tbh, imo it's kind of a dick move doing this now, instead of giving the original product time to, you know, make.money..

Ridley_Prime
Yeeeeah, that's what I hate about modding communities sometimes, much as I tend to love them also.

Nemesis X
Even though it didn't win GOTY, DOOM at least made off with overall best action game and best music.

To celebrate, the composers did a live performance at the Game Awards.

5a9E3n_VZRQ

Smasandian
Yeah, the music was pretty sweet.

And the game was fun as hell.

Ridley_Prime
So glad they finally did away with the season pass and made all its content free, even if it kinda sucks for those who already bought said pass, but it's good those are starting to become a dying breed as it is, so Doom simply got with the times. If I had to guess, the installbase for the multiplayer increased a good bit when it happened, as ever since I started playing it again, haven't really as yet had trouble finding a game (even late at night) like I used to on this before, and the new equipable runes that grant small matchmaking bonuses are better than the previous system the multiplayer had. With that and more of the added features Snapmap had gotten over time too, this game thankfully has some damn good retention again a year later, and I didn't think I'd ever come back to this much after the arcade feature for the campaign update.

cdtm
So how much longer until they remaster this?

That's what they do now, isn't it? Remaster everything, after it's been around a bit?

Smasandian
What are you talking about?

cdtm
Don"t you know? Everything getw remastered these days! Whether they really needed it or not. thumb up

Smasandian
Ok.....

Ridley_Prime
They did give this game the VR treatment, but that's about all I would expect far as any re-releases for the time being, shitposting aside. Other than that, I reckon Doom 2016's sequel will be announced sometime not too long after the release of the upcoming Wolfenstein II, maybe shown off next year if lucky. The current Doom is doing fine/better to keep fans sated until then though, with the now free content.

Smasandian
I know Doom was very successfully and fun.

However, if the next one is the same...I don't know I personally want that. I was getting a bit tired near the end of this game.

Ridley_Prime
If the next game follows through on a Doom II Hell on Earth reimagining like many certain fans have kinda wanted for years, then I'll be more interested just on that. If it's just more of the same though with space stations on Mars but this time going after Samuel Hayden instead of Olivia Pierce, then I won't be as invested, but will at least give it a shot.

Khazra Reborn
Doom 2016 was one of my favorite games last year. Some times you need a game that's just wall to wall carnage from beginning to end.

Smasandian
If the next game follows through on a Doom II Hell on Earth reimagining like many certain fans have kinda wanted for years, then I'll be more interested just on that. If it's just more of the same though with space stations on Mars but this time going after Samuel Hayden instead of Olivia Pierce, then I won't be as invested, but will at least give it a shot.

Yes. I agree. They did a fantastic drop bringing Doom back to it's roots but it didn't last for me.

I also want them to add a bit more story to the game. I love what they did with Doom 3 and how they added some awesome story elements throughout the game.

I kind want ID Software to do the same thing. Keep the frantic action though.

Ridley_Prime
Doom 2016 had some good bits of backstory lore, just not as much as what Doom 3 had, but I agree they could/should improve on that area with the next one, while keeping the fast-paced action. I liked the backstory being told through the audio logs over everything being read in text too, though it's a more minor nitpick but I'd still like to have the audio logs back like in Doom 3 if possible.

Smasandian
I don't mind reading them. It lets me take a break during the game. I don't like audio logs because I always feel less engaged and a bit boring because I'm just staring at a wall.

cdtm
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Doom 2016 was one of my favorite games last year. Some times you need a game that's just wall to wall carnage from beginning to end.

Plenty of games offer that, though. Me, I just load up Vanquish or Killing Floor to sate my bloodlust.

Doom was only getting press because it's Doom. (Which isn't to say it's bad.. Just not "special" minus the trademark.)

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by cdtm
Plenty of games offer that, though. Me, I just load up Vanquish or Killing Floor to sate my bloodlust.

Doom was only getting press because it's Doom. (Which isn't to say it's bad.. Just not "special" minus the trademark.)

Fo' sho, to each their own. Vanquish was the shit, did you try Metal Gear Rising? Same dudes made it, really fun game, that's in a similar vein to Vanquish.

cdtm
Oh yeah, bought it, beat it, and been working on Blade Wolf before I got distracted by Transformers Devastation. (And on that, I spend most of my time role playing challenge missions, e.g. crushing the Autobots with Grimlock, or pretending I'm paranoid IDW Red Alert going after Optimus Prime and Megatron after Megs trial and stay of execution wink )

Nemesis X
If it's just more of the same though with space stations on Mars but this time going after Samuel Hayden instead of Olivia Pierce, then I won't be as invested, but will at least give it a shot.

That sounds better off as a DLC expansion anyways that I hope one day gets announced.

Nemesis X
Seriously, isn't it weird DOOM is the only Bethesda published game that hasn't gotten a single player expansion yet?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.