Untitled

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Autokrat
This is a story that I have only recently started working on and I have yet to come up with a working title (I have a few ideas, but none seem to really work all that well).

This story could be classified as a sort of Historical/Fiction Fantasy blend as while I went to great lengths to be as historically accurate as possible, I added magic to the mix which adds the fantasy element.

The setting is Altenburg Austria (not to be confused with Altenburg Germany) in the year 1096 AD. Despite the date, this story has nothing to do with the First Crusade; I just felt it would make a good backdrop for the story.

The main character is a Germanic Baron (Freiherr in German I think... or is it Freifrau?) named Kasimir of Horn (Horn is the region in which the town of Altenburg resides, it is part of modern Lower Austria, I'm not sure if in 1096 they called that region Horn, or if a Baron even ruled there, but I am taking some creative license).

Kasimir, while on the surface appears to be a pious follower of the Church, he is secretly a magic user of skill who is content to keep his facade of piety, while he practices his magic in secret... until of course he gets overly cocky and is forced to deal with a self proclaimed Witch Hunter...

Historical Notes

Austria at this time was a Mark, under the rule of a Margrave ( it was part of the Duchy of Bavaria). The current Margrave would have been Leopold III a member of the House of Babenberg. I spent hours trying to learn about this guy and the Babenbergs, but of course the only history book dedicated to the Babenbergs is in German and has no English translation. I suppose it isn't all that important as Leopold never makes an appearance in the story, he's just mentioned here and there. I do make some assumptions about his character; he seems to be a pretty shrewd guy from what I have read... so yea.

In the story I mention the Abbey of Altenburg; however, the Abbey was not constructed until about two hundred years after the story takes place. I also mention Altenburg Keep, which is a completely fictional construct that never existed... so I created it :innocent:.

Feel free to critique as much as desired, in fact feel free to tell me it sucks if you like, just tell me why, otherwise I learn nothing.

Characters (Viewpoint Characters Only)

Brianna: Brianna is a Scottish Witch that fled England once she was "found out". Now, she is in Austria and a member of the Magicemanus.

Else: Else is Kasimir's teenage wife, he doesn't really like her and she certainly like him so there is plenty of disdain and dislike to go around. She's the spoiled brat, and he's the intellectual snob, woohoo!

Erik: Erik is another Baron, he just rules over the neighboring region. He's an angry man with Leonidas Syndrome, but he can probably kick most people's ass in any sort of physical fight or competition. Once he forgets that he hates you, he can actually be reasonably intelligent.

Kasimir: The main protagonist, as I mentioned above. He's arrogant and too smart for his own good. He was born in 1073 AD.

Autokrat

Autokrat

Autokrat

Autokrat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.