Taken (2008)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Discos
Did a quick search on the forum and couldn't see a topic for this years Liam Neeson movie.

I went to see it a few weeks ago and I must say I was very entertained by it and loved the entire thing. Yeah its mindless action and Neeson just kills everyone in his path without barely getting a scrape on himself... all in the process of finding his kidnapped daughter.

It doesnt have a great detailed story, but hey I prefer mindless action films where the main antagonist just goes on killing sprees, for instance I love films such as "Death Setance" and "Equilibrium".

Just wondered what you all thought of the movie and of Liam Neeson takin of a different approach to a movie, can't remember him doing a movie like this before playing a crazy ass dad on a killing spree.

DarkC
Trailer:

CvUxdQ4q-Lg

deathbycorn
Yep, great film.

jaden101
alot better than reviews are giving it credit for...Neeson is one mean bastard in it...i love the bit when he's in the house with the red door and he says to the guy "you don't remember me?...we spoke on the phone 2 days ago...i told you i'd find you"

obviously draws comparisons with "man on fire"...not sure which i prefer though....both great films

deathbycorn
I like the ending to Man on Fire better, its pretty sad.

But this overall is a much better flick. Plenty of action.

Discos
ah Jaden that scene was sick! Loved it, but that was the part of the movie that put the whole "this is so OTT". He takes out an entire house of crazy Arabs?

Great revenge movie, cant recommend it enuff to my friends. I also did notice alot of good reviewers have given it little credit, yeah its a basic shoot em up storyline but hell its entertaining.

Discos
oh and also, i part tha miffed me off.

WHY the HELL did Famke Hansens character stay in the States? If my mum stayed back in the Mansion I would be seriously pissed off!

Discos - must get a mansion

DarkC
Originally posted by Discos
oh and also, i part tha miffed me off.

WHY the HELL did Famke Hansens character stay in the States? If my mum stayed back in the Mansion I would be seriously pissed off!

Discos - must get a mansion
Her character was being realistic. She's not going to run out to Paris with no leads, no clues, no skills, especially with the knowledge that her ex-husband has far more expertise in those fields.

Moral of the story - don't f*** with Qui-Gon Jinn.

Discos
^^ that is a good moral.

it aint really realistic. Put you in their shoes... lets say your wife went looking for YOUR daughter/son and she has some background in "the business", wouldnt you want to even "tag along".

or at least go to Paris and stay in the Hotel room? be closer to the situation? Just seems neglect stayin in the states.

Discos - new-age mums only look out for #1 big grin

Darth Martin
Just saw this. Loved it. Liam is aweswome. Action was superb even by Bourne standards.

BruceSkywalker
yep, good movie

BackFire
Saw it tonight. Quite solid. Like an older Jason Bourne kicking the shit out of everyone.

Scythe
Originally posted by BackFire
Saw it tonight. Quite solid. Like an older Jason Bourne kicking the shit out of everyone.

Haha, that's awesome.

Toku King
I wanna see this now.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by jaden101
alot better than reviews are giving it credit for...Neeson is one mean bastard in it...i love the bit when he's in the house with the red door and he says to the guy "you don't remember me?...we spoke on the phone 2 days ago...i told you i'd find you"

obviously draws comparisons with "man on fire"...not sure which i prefer though....both great films

I don't know man, it seems to be getting fair reviews. It's one of those movies where it's bad reviews are still good reviews. I think some critics are taking the movie a bit to serious. Granted, the film is a very serious and intense movie. It never tries to be anything other than a fun revenge flick. This movie definitely exceeded my expectations. I must say that i never thought that i would look at Liam Neeson as a badass but i most certianly do now. Neeson deserves a lot of credit. Not only for his always reliable acting but also his physical performance.

I thought the flick did a good job at rarely going overboard with the action. Aside from a rather confusing car chase the acting is top notch and very well choreographed and edited. If you like action or revenge movies you definitely need to check this biitch out. 8/10

bogen

Cooler too.
He's Irish big grin

Darth Martin
Saw it tonight. Quite solid. Like an older Jason Bourne kicking the shit out of everyone. Exactly. I enjoyed this one more than any of the Bourne films. But I liked Quantum of Solace a bit better though. I give it 8/10.

MildPossession
Are you guys just getting this film?!

Bicnarok
I enjoyed this one, good show.

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
Are you guys just getting this film?!

Yeah, just got released yesterday here in the states.

MildPossession
The 'Extended, Harder' cut edition on DVD is out here in a few days time.

Robtard
Watched this well over a month ago; was pleasantly surprised as I thought 'cheesy action' when starting. Neeson did a great role, he usually does thogh.

Anyone else want to head-butt the mother of the girl in the ****?

Gideon
Saw it. Loved it.

Liam Neeson was compared in this thread to both an older Jason Bourne and Denzel Washington's character in Man on Fire. Both legitimate and accurate comparisons. The three of them should do a movie together.

Menetnashté
I liked it, thought it could've been better. Much like the new Bond movie and the bourne movies I felt a lack of thrill due to the fact that no one could stand up to him. He had a decent fight towards the end but otherwise he pretty much destroyed everyone. Good action, however it was kind of like watching superman fight average criminals you know he's not going to lose.

Howard Beale
exactly what I wanted, mindless, sleek, well performed action and thrill from wall to wall. Also had some very unintentionally funny moments (did anyone else notice that the daughter ran everywhere she went, she didn't know how to walk!) Very entertaining and well done though.
7.5/10

super pr*xy
loved this movie. i wanna see it again. totally predictable plot, but man.. the way the movie was put together was awesome. liam neeson is the shit.

i had no problem with the mom not going to paris. she would just slow him down, plus she could become a target.. he didn't need another distraction. it kinda miffed me a little bit when the daughter rode with her mom and the boyfriend. after what happened, i wouldn't wanna be anywhere else but next to liam..

movieyay
It was a great movie. Easily one of the best of 08.

I've heard alot of people say this is sensless action and it delivered what it promised which is good enough.
I would disagree. That makes it sound like there wasn't much effort put into it or anyone could have done this (sensless action) flick, or it did't do enough.
I think it was very realistic, suspenseful and did exactly what it should have.
The action stuff kind of reminded me of Ronin. Films don't need to go overboard with glitz and BS to make a good action/suspense flick and I for one am very glad Taken didn't try.

lbobby98
such a sick guy's movie! dudes night out!

Kotor3
The movie was very good and entertaining.

Placidity

This is actually closer to the novel version of the Bourne series than Matt Damon's version.

Mairuzu
Great movie

hopefully it'll come out on DVD soon, i want to take a look at the extended version

MildPossession
Where are you in the world Mairuzu?

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Placidity
This is actually closer to the novel version of the Bourne series than Matt Damon's version. I enjoyed this movie more than any of the Bourne films.

Spartan005
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I enjoyed this movie more than any of the Bourne films.

Me too. I never really got into the bourne movies that much. the plot was always kind of confusing and the damn shaky camera/editing made me want to punt babies.

Taken was awesome though. Best scene was after Neeson tortures the shit out of the guy and then flips the switch back on and casually walks out of the room. LOL

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Howard Beale
exactly what I wanted, mindless, sleek, well performed action and thrill from wall to wall. Also had some very unintentionally funny moments (did anyone else notice that the daughter ran everywhere she went, she didn't know how to walk!) Very entertaining and well done though.
7.5/10

laughing out loud The daughter was pretty terrible

best scene in the movie, though. "i told you i would find you" My little kid in me went, "OH SHIT, IT's ON NOW" laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
LOLZ Same here...!!!

A true "Oh you're soooooooooooooooooo gonna get yours now, beeeyotch." moment.

A actually paused to roll a spliff and make some tea ready for the anticipated violence.

It didnt pay to be an Albanian in Paris that day, for sure.

Neeson's innoculously named Brian Mills was like a human neutron bomb dropped on Paris.

I cannot wait for someone to kidnap again or kill a member of his family.

'Cause I'd could easily devour a coupla sequels to that movie as long as its the same crew involved..

SelinaAndBruce
This movie sucked to me. Neeson was good but the storyline was flimsy and stupid and the ending was so laughably corny. The script writer was clearly very lazy. The daughter was the biggest dufus ever.

SnakeEyes
While I agree with a lot of what you said, Selina, I still enjoyed the film. It was corny and the plot was kind of just there to fuel the action, but all of these things I expected so I found myself sufficiently entertained. It wasn't a memorable film, but it was enjoyable. I'd give it maybe a 6/10.

Sadako of Girth
The daughter's dufusarial status is most definitely in check.

But look at the dumbass mother.

That hot.....dumbass.....gorgeous stupid mother.

SelinaAndBruce
O yea I hated the mother and pretty much deleted her from my memory. She was a complete idiot. No wonder the girl was such a dufus. The ending was just the worst part though. You can't deal with such dark subject matter and then cop out like that. It was almost disneyesque in it's corniness.

Sadako of Girth
Hopefully she'll be killed at the beginning of a sequel to justify more Brian-Mills-delivered violence.

(Brian Mills was a mail order catalogue here in England)

Patient_Leech
Bumping this thread, screwheads. I don't see a reason to start a new thread for the sequel...

Taken 2 (2012)

I for one am looking forward to seeing Liam Neeson beating the shit out of people again for an hour straight... laughing out loud

Esau Cairn
I'm just hoping the sequel will have that same "driving force" from Liam as he did searching for his daughter in the first.
To me, that was the essence that made it a great film.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by the ninjak
I just found out it's the daughter trying to save Neeson. confused

Oh, f*ck. I hope you're kidding.. sick (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit)

KingD19
Even if that's the premise. You know mass amounts of people will die by Neeson's hand.

Robtard
Should have at least called it "Retaken".

KingD19
I think a better title would have been "You seriously did not think you could kidnap Liam Neeson and survive the experience...in IMAX 3D"

marwash22
taking stuff from Liam Neeson is a bad idea.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Oh, f*ck. I hope you're kidding.. sick (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit)

heh heh I can just see now Liam quivering under the bed whilst his daughter's on the phone telling him to calm down....

Major_Lexington
I hope they don't ruin a good thing with the sequel.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Should have at least called it "Retaken".

Oh, yeah. Cuz that would guarantee that it would be good.

jinXed by JaNx
well if you wanna guarantee a goddamn blockbuster to this epic superhero movie you will call it....,retaken? No..., GOT! thats it, liam neeson wins an academy award for his performance in GOT.

maheshbalan
Really a good movie...best action scenes

ChickenBoTheory
The first movie was great, hope the second one will be on the same level as the first.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.