Store Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
I remember when the OT first came out in 04. Stores where having a price war to get customers to buy the OT . I rememebr selling so many box sets (Tesco) i coulden't keep up lolz.

Do you remember when the OT first came out ?

queeq
On VHS? Yes. wink

coolmovies
no dvd

sweersa
Originally posted by coolmovies
no dvd

Yeah, I managed to get my hands on a poster advertisement to reserve the OT on DVD, one stand up display advertising the set, and a large display that physically held the first wave of DVDs.

coolmovies
cool got a pic ?

coolmovies
am talking about this one if you are confused

queeq
I have that one.

JediRobin23
for some stupid reason, I bought the full screen version

queeq
Huh??? Why?

coolmovies
becouse the fullscreen version is a gold box. Are you guys gonna upgrade all your dvd collection to hi def ?

queeq
Well, that's a bit much. I have over 600 DVD's. But I recently saw regular DVD via a BluRay player on a Full HD tv and they hold up pretty well. So I'll continue collecting on Blu Ray, maybe get a few films also on DVD. Like SW, Blade Runner, the Kubrick films. But not all.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by queeq
Huh??? Why?

Exactly

I think it had something to due with having a crappy 24" TV and didn't want to squint to see the imagine. At the time

sweersa
cool got a pic ?

Of what ones?

queeq
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Exactly

I think it had something to due with having a crappy 24" TV and didn't want to squint to see the imagine. At the time

Bad call, even for a 4:3 tv. hehehe

sweersa
Bad call, even for a 4:3 tv. hehehe

At the time I was deciding between full screen and widescreen...that was before I fully understood the vast benefits of WS, thankfully that's what I ended up getting.

Not that it matters anymore, as I now have an even newer edition after that...lol

queeq
Hehehe.

I already preferred WS when I had a very small 15" screen: the framing is so much better in its original, intended form. Plus, a smaller screen also meant it was sharper.

sweersa
Hehehe.

I already preferred WS when I had a very small 15" screen: the framing is so much better in its original, intended form. Plus, a smaller screen also meant it was sharper.

True, WS is the way it's artist (Uncle George) intended his viewers so see it. How would we feel if we cropped the mona lisa or umm...other famous paintings I can't remember the names of? If you were to crop that Leonardo painting the first supper you wouldn't see everybody in it. It takes a lot away.

Plus, full screen's image has to be blown up resulting in a less sharp picture, as it is only 2/3 of the original area.

queeq
Ah no... that basically depends on the scan.

sweersa
Ah no... that basically depends on the scan.

Meh, the image is still larger than it rightfully should be.

JediRobin23
What alwalys bothered me was in ANH, when Luke was looking at the banthas with his binoculars and says "I dont see any sand people.....oh wait I can see one of them now"

Now, when I first seen star wars, it was in the THX re-release and it was full screen. I had no idea what Luke was talking about for the longest time cause there was no sand person. I never understood this until I saw the widescreen cause it cuts out the walking sand person in full screen.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who was annoyed by this

sweersa
What alwalys bothered me was in ANH, when Luke was looking at the banthas with his binoculars and says "I dont see any sand people.....oh wait I can see one of them now"

Now, when I first seen star wars, it was in the THX re-release and it was full screen. I had no idea what Luke was talking about for the longest time cause there was no sand person. I never understood this until I saw the widescreen cause it cuts out the walking sand person in full screen.

Interesting, I vaguely remember this as a kid! I remember watching the widescreen VHS at a friend's house and seeing things I never noticed before. That is a great example on why full screen is still a bad idea.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by sweersa
Interesting, I vaguely remember this as a kid! I remember watching the widescreen VHS at a friend's house and seeing things I never noticed before. That is a great example on why full screen is still a bad idea.
Watch it again in WS, its a quick shot of a sand person to the far right

sweersa
Watch it again in WS, its a quick shot of a sand person to the far right

Gotcha. Thanks.

queeq

Yes I remember that from my first set of VHSes. But of course I had seen it in the theatres a few times so I knew there was a Tusken there. But indeed - he dropped off in the FS.

sweersa
Yes I remember that from my first set of VHSes. But of course I had seen it in the theatres a few times so I knew there was a Tusken there. But indeed - he dropped off in the FS.

I saw a set of the OT on VHS (but wide screen format) at an antique mall. I thought that was unusual. I didn't pick it up though. (It gets harder to buy the OT X times)

coolmovies
VHS is dead anyway

coolmovies
I sold a few dvds this week and i didnt get much money so in a few years time dvd wil be worthless

queeq
Dvd is already worthless. They go for 50 cents at a yard sale here.

coolmovies
Really ? but people still buy them

queeq
Yes, because Blu Ray is more expensive and not everyone has a player yet.

sweersa
Dvd is already worthless. They go for 50 cents at a yard sale here.

In the U.S. used DVDs go from around 5-8 dollars. The DVD market here is still pretty active. Used VHS go anywhere from 1-3 dollars.

I just bought the OT on the old before Special Edition version, for 6 bucks. Turns out I was the first one to watch these tapes! They look great! (for VHS)

queeq
6 bucks for VHS??? Nobody would pay anything like that here.

coolmovies
I woulden't use VHS even if it was free. The question is will we still have a dvd collection in 5 years time ??

sweersa
6 bucks for VHS??? Nobody would pay anything like that here.

6 bucks for the entire unaltered Trilogy in near mint condition. I am a collector so I looked at it that way.

queeq
That's why they made you pay six bucks. wink

coolmovies
can u post a pic of it plzz ?

sweersa
can u post a pic of it plzz ?

http://homepage.mac.com/jman1/sale/0830s.jpg

That is basically my set except I do not have the large box that keeps them together.

coolmovies
looks good to me

coolmovies
I hate it when they dont put EP numbers on vhs

sweersa
I hate it when they dont put EP numbers on vhs

That was before they widely referred to them as episodes. I think it happened during the Special Editions, but I am not positive.

coolmovies
They look better without the numbers

sweersa
They look better without the numbers

Yeah, I like having the titles in cool logo form better.

queeq
http://homepage.mac.com/jman1/sale/0830s.jpg

That is basically my set except I do not have the large box that keeps them together.

Never saw that set. My fav set is the unaltered set of a digitally remastered trilogy. Even the picture looks very crisp, looks cleaned up... for a VHS of course.

sweersa
Never saw that set. My fav set is the unaltered set of a digitally remastered trilogy. Even the picture looks very crisp, looks cleaned up... for a VHS of course.

Yes, I believe that is the same as the set I have. (The one I posted.)

queeq
Mine looks very different, I think it's a European version.

This is the one I have, is it the same?

coolmovies
the screenshots at the bottom look silly

sweersa
Mine looks very different, I think it's a European version.

This is the one I have, is it the same?

They look awesome! The only difference I can see is that your set is in widescreen! Luck you. Hehehe. Mine are not unfortunately. I remember seeing a widescreen VHS set in a second hand store this year or the year before but I can't remember what edition it was.

the screenshots at the bottom look silly

It appears they are there to show off how cool widescreen is. Some people may not know what it is.

sweersa
Please ignore this post.

queeq
They look awesome! The only difference I can see is that your set is in widescreen! Luck you. Hehehe. Mine are not unfortunately. I remember seeing a widescreen VHS set in a second hand store this year or the year before but I can't remember what edition it was.

They were pretty much hyped at the time, because this would be the last time they'd issue the OOT's...

And yeah: WIDE screen... digitally remastered yeah... with THX. I still wonder why they didn't put these versions of the OOT on the last set of DVD's.... instead we got the crappy ones.

sweersa
They were pretty much hyped at the time, because this would be the last time they'd issue the OOT's...

And yeah: WIDE screen... digitally remastered yeah... with THX. I still wonder why they didn't put these versions of the OOT on the last set of DVD's.... instead we got the crappy ones.

My tapes each have a nifty interview with GL at the beginning with another video saying it is that last time to get the OT in its original form.

I am hoping the HD release of the OT is done properly.

Some great movies can be processed badly. AVP-R anyone? Watch the trailers then the movie....it is like they put a black overlay over the film then released it lol

I don't care if the CGI is crap, I want to see what is going on!

queeq
AVP-R.... I try never to watch that at all...

sweersa
AVP-R.... I try never to watch that at all...

I though AVP (Well I only saw like the last 2/3 of it) wasn't bad so I saw the sequel and it was pretty bad IMO

queeq
AVP was already VERY bad... It's quite a feat to make that worse.

sweersa
AVP was already VERY bad... It's quite a feat to make that worse.

It still entertained me.

queeq
Amazing...

sweersa
Amazing...

I always like how in movies like that they use the awesome German HK G-36 series assault rifles.

I love those, it just make me angry though becuase the U.S. Department of Defense doesn't arm our troops with good weapons anymore, we are still using the M-16 series of rifles...and poor body armor.

Apparently our department of defense looks at price rather than quality. Way to loose troops Uncle Sam..

Gahh! I better settle down.

queeq
Yeah.

coolmovies
The AVP films killed the serias dead

queeq
Amen.

sweersa
I thought the AVP film was pretty cool, of course I am not a huge fan of those movies.

The 2nd AVP films is bad IMO...what ticks me off the most is how dark they processed the film...it is literally unwatchable. I thought I downloaded some crappy bootleg CAM version and it was a quality DVD rip, apparently they are all like that...how sad. I'd rather see crappy visual effects than nothing and outlines.

They did this a tiny bit with DOOM as well.

queeq
Never saw Doom. Is it worth watching?

sweersa
Never saw Doom. Is it worth watching?

Yes, I enjoyed it, a lot of people didn't care so much for it, it did poorly at the theatre but the DVD sales are pretty strong.

It isn't like the game in most respects but it makes for some good entertainment and cool cinematography and neat action. I just wish it wasn't so dark...the special features show more of the monsters than the film, and they looked really life like in both.

Pick it up next time your out, I think you will like it. I wish people would give it more of a chance.

queeq
I'll wait til it shows up on tv.

sweersa
I'll wait til it shows up on tv.

I see it on quite often actually in the states that is.

General G
I actually didn't mind the movie, I played and enjoyed the game. I never go into "game to movie" movies thinking they will be exactly the same. Maybe thats why I didn't mind it? Not a movie I'll go out and buy however, but worth a watch.

But I never see it on TV here in Canada, so thats kind of odd.

sweersa
Originally posted by General G
I actually didn't mind the movie, I played and enjoyed the game. I never go into "game to movie" movies thinking they will be exactly the same. Maybe thats why I didn't mind it? Not a movie I'll go out and buy however, but worth a watch.

But I never see it on TV here in Canada, so thats kind of odd.

I agree. Honestly if a movie cloned a game it would be boring, like watching a friend play a game while you are waiting for your turn.

I still wish the DOOM movie had more aspects of the game in it though, oh well, I will always hope for a sequel!

coolmovies
well i like tomb raider the movie

Lord Knightfa11
well i like tomb raider the movie LOL YOUR BACK!!! wb.

Lord Knightfa11
oh and while we are on the subject of vg movies, is "in the name of the king" a good movie?

queeq
Didn't see it but I heard it was pretty good.

sweersa
Queeq, I remember DOOM came out on HD DVD, maybe you can dig up an HD DVD player from it's grave site and play it.

Hahaha.

queeq
Nevah!

sweersa
Nevah!

lol Betamax!

queeq
Video2000

steverules_2
I like how everything in here goes off topic big grin ha-son

sweersa
Originally posted by steverules_2
I like how everything in here goes off topic big grin ha-son

Cool sig. I love those movies.

General G
Cool avatar too while were at it wink

steverules_2
Thanks smile You guys have got pretty cool sigs and avatars to smile

sweersa

Thanks. smile

General G

Why thank you smile

queeq
What movie is steverules2's sig from?

sweersa
What movie is steverules2's sig from?

Back to the Future.

Are you telling me you never saw these great 1980's movies???

steverules_2
They were good movies, I think my favorite is possibly the 3rd smile I remember when I got the BTTF trilogy for Christmas but that was....ages ago

coolmovies
He's only seen the first one and he still cant tell whats the pic about laughing out loud

Roads ? where we are going we dont need roads !!!!

General G
Definately a good series, queeq I am disappointed beyond all belief.

sweersa
Queeq watch these as soon as possible. I know you will love them!

steverules_2
It's back in the day when 'Sh*t' could be said in a PG-13

General G
Haha yes, now PG-13 means sexual content.

sweersa
Originally posted by General G
Haha yes, now PG-13 means sexual content.

Haha. ever see Titanic? How did that not get an R rating?

Jack Daniels
the critics were all drunk and liked redheads

steverules_2
Of course now it's all sorta...toned down

queeq
Back to the Future.

Are you telling me you never saw these great 1980's movies???

Oh, darn... he has a diffrent sig now. Yes of course I know them, and love them too.

steverules_2
It's from part 3 big grin troopershake

sweersa
Oh, darn... he has a diffrent sig now. Yes of course I know them, and love them too.

YAY!!! big grin

queeq
*phew* Close call.

steverules_2
How come you didn't notice my sig was from back to the future?

sweersa

He was distracted by your avatar.

queeq

I always am distracted by your avatar. It's my favourite.

Honestly I dunno... I glanced at it and didn't notice the DeLorean... lame excuse but true.

steverules_2
Yeah it's a good avatar, it's my favorite to...never gonna change it big grin

I've done that before, glanced and not noticed something that should have done. Happens to all of us smile

sweersa
Yeah it's a good avatar, it's my favorite to...never gonna change it big grin

I've done that before, glanced and not noticed something that should have done. Happens to all of us smile

Lets all chip in and buy Queeq his very own DeLorean!

queeq
YAAAAYYYY!

steverules_2
I met a guy who made a delorean into the one in BTTF and I think it cost him something like....$30,000

queeq
Ooppss...

steverules_2
It looked cool and he had a normal license plate for when he was driving around in it and then when he was displaying it he had the license plate that was in part 2 and 3 and the end of part 1, the orange one that looks like a barcode. Plus he had a hover board made outta something that I can't remember the name of which is pretty good.

sweersa
It looked cool and he had a normal license plate for when he was driving around in it and then when he was displaying it he had the license plate that was in part 2 and 3 and the end of part 1, the orange one that looks like a barcode. Plus he had a hover board made outta something that I can't remember the name of which is pretty good.

For some reason it seems like I have seen this car somewhere as well.

I have seen many of those cars...just can't remember where I saw a BTTF one.

steverules_2
Was it in the UK?

sweersa
Was it in the UK?

No, never been there.

steverules_2
Oh...well it's where I saw it...since I live in the UK, was quite cool to see it

sweersa
Oh...well it's where I saw it...since I live in the UK, was quite cool to see it

Nice. Maybe Doc wanted to visit the UK in 2008 and you happened to be there.

steverules_2
Yeah I guess so, he looked very young but I guess it musta been some future thingy that makes you young again big grin Did you ever seen the BTTF animated series?

queeq
Nope. Any good?

I heard DeLoreans don't drive very well.

steverules_2
It's ok but it's a little corny, but it is a kids TV show so it's expected. They mention Docs middle name which was kinda cool, my memory sucks so for the life of me I can't remember it. It's set after part 3, there's a new delorean thats voice activated and the locomotive is still used.

I don't re-call him saying it was hard to drive, I have only seen a delorean being driven in the BTTF films to be honest

Wanderer11
Yeah I guess so, he looked very young but I guess it musta been some future thingy that makes you young again big grin Did you ever seen the BTTF animated series?

I remember the animated series. Mary Steenburgen was the only one who supplied her voice for the show. Although, they did have live action clips of Christopher Lloyd conducting experiments.

steverules_2
Yeah I dunno why he didn't just supply his own voice but I'm sure he had his reasons. The experiments were always quite....interesting.

Wanderer11
It would have been nice if he had supplied his voice, but you can't have everything!

steverules_2
Yeah it woulda been nice, the guy who did him kinda sounded like him. I remember when they did him as a kid and it was basically the guy who does the docs voice but made a little high pitch

sweersa
Nope. Any good?

I heard DeLoreans don't drive very well.

Yeah they are cheaper cars with not a lot under the hood performance wise. But who cares it is a DeLorean! lol

Yeah! I watched it a lot when it re-ran on the FoxBox Saturday morning. I remember I recorded an episode on VHS thinking it was the movie at first lol, I still recorded it. It isn't such a bad show.

steverules_2
I'd love to have a delorean, it's made to look quite fast in the film

I remember when I was young and I saw some of the series like...2 episodes, then I recently downloaded it and it was nice to see it again

Jack Daniels
I came her to bug queeq but I said I was looking for something appealing and I saw steve posted....his avatar is appealing...did we ever strike a deal on selling your avatar?

queeq
Or reshooting it?

Jack Daniels
ahh ther was nothing missing from other thread! anyways yes lets reshoot Ill shake her boobs you guys take the pics

steverules_2
My avatar seems to be very popular big grin

Wanderer11
I'd love to have a delorean, it's made to look quite fast in the film

I remember when I was young and I saw some of the series like...2 episodes, then I recently downloaded it and it was nice to see it again

Of course, that was back in the day when a lot of the big films from the 80's were given an animated spin off series. Remember Police Academy the animated series?

steverules_2
I try not to laughing out loud But yeah I do remember it

Wanderer11
What about the Karate Kid animated series?

steverules_2
Never knew about that

Wanderer11
Sadly, I do! It was not very good.

steverules_2
Sometimes these animated series never work out too well

Wanderer11
Very true. To be honest, I think the BTTF one was probably one of the better attempts.

steverules_2
Yeah, wasn't great but it wasn't a terrible show

Wanderer11
How did you feel about the Bill & Ted animated show?

steverules_2
I don't remember that much, wasn't too bad I guess

Wanderer11
That was one of my favs back in the day! big grin

steverules_2
Two of my favs was...spider-man 90's series and bikermice from mars

Wanderer11
I never got into Biker Mice, but I was a big fan of the 90's Spider-Man. I also liked the 90's X-Men.

steverules_2
Yeah 90's x-men was good but now when I watch it I can't help but laugh everytime Apoc says 'Infadels!' or however the hell it's spelt, dunno why but it just makes me laugh. Oh also a huge fan of digimon, always used to love the digivolving, I still have my greymon digivolving into metal greymon figure and Agumon digivolving into wargreymon figure laughing out loud

Jack Daniels
flash gordon and tarzan were kewl...though that was the 70s...might have been on early 80s???? I would have loved to have seen the karate kid...I bet daniel got beat up alot..lol...

steverules_2
Probs

sweersa
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
flash gordon and tarzan were kewl...though that was the 70s...might have been on early 80s???? I would have loved to have seen the karate kid...I bet daniel got beat up alot..lol...

Watch out in case I decide to flash my gordon.

Hahaha.

steverules_2
no expression I don't want that to be the last thing I see

sweersa
no expression I don't want that to be the last thing I see

Tell that to the dead bodies in my shed.

steverules_2
Ok lead the way

sweersa
Ok lead the way

Walk this way.

Jack Daniels
this all sounds rob zombieish..lol

sweersa
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
this all sounds rob zombieish..lol

Whats that?

steverules_2
Walk this way.

Ok big grin

But remember...if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could imagine

sweersa
Ok big grin

But remember...if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could imagine

*Opens shed door*

steverules_2
Whats this white stuff on the walls? confused

sweersa
Whats this white stuff on the walls? confused

Paint.

steverules_2
It's a nice color big grin Too bad there's all these damn blood stains, you think these dead people on the floor would make sure they don't get blood on the walls but do they ever give a damn? I think not

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>