Synecdoche, New York

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Screenwriter Charlie Kaufman's (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) latest film/directorial debut Synecdoche, New York comes out on October 24th (America). I can't wait to see it.

Interview with Charlie Kaufman: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/synecdoche_new_york/news/1775535/ rt_interview_charlie_kaufman_on_synecdoche_new_yor
k

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/synecdochenewyork/

Bardock42
Looks interesting. Going to watch it.

BruceSkywalker
Read an article in the L.A. Calender tonight about this..

Looks interesting, may go see it

SnakeEyes
I'm pissed. This movie came out a couple weeks ago, but none of the cinemas in my area are playing it. Apparently it's a limited release, which means I'm screwed. This usually happens with certain films I'd like to see; frustrating.

Anyone actually manage to see this?

rana99
This movie came out a couple weeks ago, but none of the cinemas in my area are playing it. Apparently it's a limited release, which means I'm screwed. This usually happens with certain films I'd like to see; frustrating.

SnakeEyes
This movie's out on dvd and I finally got the chance to see it. Expect the same bizarre surreal elements from any Kaufman film, except expect to understand less of this film. I think it'd be safe to say that this is maybe his least accessible film, it's difficult to comprehend the first time through, so I'll have to watch it again. Anyone have any thoughts on this film? It's probably the most underrated movie of 2008.

Selphie
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
This movie's out on dvd and I finally got the chance to see it. Expect the same bizarre surreal elements from any Kaufman film, except expect to understand less of this film. I think it'd be safe to say that this is maybe his least accessible film, it's difficult to comprehend the first time through, so I'll have to watch it again. Anyone have any thoughts on this film? It's probably the most underrated movie of 2008.

It won a few Spirit Awards for indie films

I'll still have to see this

rhosze
Definitely the most difficult to follow out of Kaufman's films. It gives you a lot to think about but I found it hard to get too involved with the storyline/characters because it was so jolting and sporadic. Ideas seemed to trail off to nowhere but I suppose that could have been a desired effect. I look forward to watching it again and piecing things together.

DrewFelton
spotless mind was way better... just saw this movie on dvd not bad but def. not the best one by Kaufman

still a good watch

MildPossession
I should hopefully be seeing this next week, so can't wait.

SnakeEyes
Did you end up watching it MP?

Robtard
Didn't know about this movie, thanks.

I checked one of my varied D/L sites just now; I can get a DVD version of it, so I'll be watching it this weekend.

Captain REX
I didn't manage to catch it, which is unfortunate. I'll have to find a place to rent it from.

Robtard
R-rent? What a total ***.

SnakeEyes
You ever watch this, Robtard?

MildPossession
I've still yet to see it SnakeEyes. How big is Jennifer Jason Leigh's role in this?

Robtard
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
You ever watch this, Robtard?

Haven't, I do have it and I planning on watching it maybe this Sunday. I'll let you know.

Robtard
Finally watched this; didn't care for it. Wasn't a completely horrible movie as some of the acting was good and I kinda liked the abstractness of it, but I had trouble getting into it and enjoying it.

Definitely not soemthing I'd ever watch again.

MildPossession
Does Jennifer Jason Leigh have a big role?

Robtard
Originally posted by MildPossession
Does Jennifer Jason Leigh have a big role?

No, very small. She hasn't aged well either.

MildPossession
Ha ha. stick out tongue

Dr Will Hatch
Same opinion here, Robtard.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by MildPossession
Ha ha. stick out tongue

I would've answered your previous question but I literally couldn't remember what role Leigh played. wink

As for the movie, I think it's one that I'll have to revisit after a few months.

Robtard, I get why you weren't too fond of it, it's kind of a hard movie to like.

That said, I appreciated it so much for what Kaufman attempted to do, tackling the concept of death and all. Not many films handle death well imo and when Synecdoche worked for me, it really worked. There were certain scenes that I felt spoke directly to me and I felt like I could definitely relate to/sympathize with Caden Cotard, because I too am extremely afraid of dying and missing out on life, etc. When the film didn't work for me, I felt lost in the absurdness of it all. I think the problem I had with this movie is that I was trying to follow the (at times incomprehensible) plot and in doing so, I may've missed some important ideas; I'm thinking the plot itself of this movie isn't as important as the ideas examined in the movie.

Anyway, those are just some quick ramblings. There are things to gain from this film, I assure you. It's just a matter of whether or not you feel like sitting through the absurdness and hard-to-follow storyline. It's a commitment.

ComicsGoddess
Great movie once you let it sink into you.

SnakeEyes
Watched this again and liked it a lot more/got more out of it. It also helped watching most of the special features on the dvd.

K.Diddy
beer This movie is an over-rated piece of crap,I sat there for 2 hours with no clue as to what the **** it was about

SnakeEyes
How unexpected.

Saskaswan
Originally posted by K.Diddy
beer This movie is an over-rated piece of crap,I sat there for 2 hours with no clue as to what the **** it was about

You've got to be smart the be able to understand it smile

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Saskaswan
You've got to be smart the be able to understand it smile

smile Maybe,I'm just a dumbass

smile Although I do consider myself fairly smart,I understood the Matrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.