How powerful is Sauron truly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
Hi! I'm new to this forum.

Anyway, how powerful are Sauron, the other maya and the valor? Can they contend with modern day armies? Superman? Galactus?

I mean, Sauron got defeated by Elendil and Gil-gilad (spelling?), who are powerful and all, but they don't have superpowers or anything. But then some people claim that they can beat Mephisto. What do you think?

Hewhoknowsall
anyone?

Hewhoknowsall
come one....is this forum dead or something????

Robtard
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

Anyway, how powerful are Sauron, the other maya and the valor? Can they contend with modern day armies? Superman? Galactus?

I mean, Sauron got defeated by Elendil and Gil-gilad (spelling?), who are powerful and all, but they don't have superpowers or anything. But then some people claim that they can beat Mephisto. What do you think?

LoLipops, that's just silly. NOTHING CAN DEFEAT SUPERMAN!!!!!111!!!

NonSensi-Klown
The Valar can defeat Supes, maybe galactus.

Sauron can't though. Supes will speed blitz his fecking hand off.

Anyone with a physical body will lose to Supes pretty much in the LotR universe.

chilled monkey

I beg your pardon but that is not so. Sauron killed both Elendil and Gil-Galad. He was beaten only when Isildur cut the One Ring from his finger.

Robtard
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
The Valar can defeat Supes, maybe galactus.

Sauron can't though. Supes will speed blitz his fecking hand off.

Anyone with a physical body will lose to Supes pretty much in the LotR universe.

Superman's 'rediculous factor' trumps all; you know this.

Hewhoknowsall
The valor would not stand a chance vs. Galactus: he is a universe buster.

And didn't those two get killed but still "defeat" sauron, and he was already dead but isulir just cut off the ring?

Aule
Yes, it was the combined effort of Elendil and Gil-Galad that killed Sauron. However he also killed them, as Elendil fell Narsil the sword of the King broke under him. It was then that Isildur took up the remains of his fathers sword and cut the Ring from Sauron's hand.

Hewhoknowsall
I know, but the fact that he got killed by two mortals....well, not really, but you get would I mean..... shows that he isn't on Superman/Galactus level like some people think.

Dark-Jaxx
Sauron is nowhere near Superman's level, let alone Galactus.

All the Valar combined could not defeat Galactus.

Hell, I doubt a Valar can defeat Superman, Melkor, who was considered the most powerful of them all, would be crushed by Superman.

Aule
True, I wouldn't argue that. But Tolkien's idea of power and ability, even what constitues magic isn't as overt as Galactus or Superman, or even Harry Potter. Therefore its very hard to compare cross-context's as each has to be taken within power levels of their own respective universes. Superman is more powerful than Sauron, because he was written to have crazy levels of power.

Compared to anything in Middle-earth besides the Valar, Sauron was really powerful. But outside of that world, everyone has an opinion and its all conjecture really.

Lethal Rogue
It is not a very good idea to compare characters from completely different universes. For all we know, pippin could pwn galactus... laughing

hom3r
Well he got b1tch slapped by a hobbit.. so yeah...

Lethal Rogue
lol

Silent Guardian
These are such weird comparisons the universes are so different. If I were to pick one I would say the second to last one, but honestly I would not compare them at all.

ares834
SAuron is a corrupted angel so he is at the Angel level. As for those who claim he can't defeat SUperman. Bull frickin crap. SUperman is highly vulnerable against magic, and guess who is a mighty sorceror, yep Sauron. HE could also defeat Supes by transforming into a being composed of Kryptonite. And then proceed to maul Supes.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by ares834
SAuron is a corrupted angel so he is at the Angel level. As for those who claim he can't defeat SUperman. Bull frickin crap. SUperman is highly vulnerable against magic, and guess who is a mighty sorceror, yep Sauron. HE could also defeat Supes by transforming into a being composed of Kryptonite. And then proceed to maul Supes.

Superman can travel at 99.99% the speed of light and as you know he's pretty strong. Strong enough that his punches while moving at almost light speed would be quite a bit stronger than a sword, even if it's "crafted by the elves long ago". And Superman's pretty accurate too, so he could aim at the finger and punch the ring out before Sauron can react, given that he swings his mace super slow (or at least in the movies). And there's no proof that Sauron can turn into kryptonite. Especially when kryptonite doesn't exist in the LOTR universe and Sauron wouldn't know of Superman's weakness.

ares834
Superman can travel at 99.99% the speed of light and as you know he's pretty strong. Strong enough that his punches while moving at almost light speed would be quite a bit stronger than a sword, even if it's "crafted by the elves long ago". And Superman's pretty accurate too, so he could aim at the finger and punch the ring out before Sauron can react, given that he swings his mace super slow (or at least in the movies). And there's no proof that Sauron can turn into kryptonite. Especially when kryptonite doesn't exist in the LOTR universe and Sauron wouldn't know of Superman's weakness.
Sauron turns into whatever the heck he wants. If he knows Superman's weakness he will use it against him. Plus magic trums Supes nearly every time and Sauron is one of the most proficent sorcorers of MIddle earth.

dadudemon
How about some Sauron feats?

I have no idea about Sauron's feats as I read the triloogy, similarion (sp?), and the hobbit. Feats, bitches, and then I can make judgments for you.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by ares834
Sauron turns into whatever the heck he wants. If he knows Superman's weakness he will use it against him. Plus magic trums Supes nearly every time and Sauron is one of the most proficent sorcorers of MIddle earth.

The entire point of my post (which no offense, you ignored) is:

1. Superman can travel too fast for Sauron to react and get any magic in

2. Sauron DOESN'T know of Superman's weakness.

ares834
The entire point of my post (which no offense, you ignored) is:

1. Superman can travel too fast for Sauron to react and get any magic in

2. Sauron DOESN'T know of Superman's weakness.
1. Doesn't stop Mxypitlic.
2. True.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by NemeBro
Sauron is nowhere near Superman's level, let alone Galactus.

All the Valar combined could not defeat Galactus.

Hell, I doubt a Valar can defeat Superman, Melkor, who was considered the most powerful of them all, would be crushed by Superman.

so, now, MORGOTH can not defeat superman?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

laughing laughing laughing laughing

King Kandy
Originally posted by leonheartmm
so, now, MORGOTH can not defeat superman?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

laughing laughing laughing laughing
Yeah, laughing is right. If Fingolfin can fight him to a standstill then Superman can beat him no problem.

King-Fingolfin
Well, to be fair, Morgoth was already weakened when he fought Fingolfin.

But no, Morgoth, even at the height of his power, can't beat Superman.

Incanus
Ok, Superman get his power from yellow sunlight, right? well, what if Sauron turned into a Balrog or something like Ungoliant taht could emante shadow, therefore blocking the sun and Supermans source of power. Oh, and the Valar would pwn Galactus, as they can do whatever they want, and they could ask Eru for help ;-p Sauron, he gets killed against Galactus unless he starves him or something.

BradBalboa
Anyone who actualyl belives that powers from the LOTR universe can stand up to those of the Marvel and DCUniverses is an idot sorry!! Sauron has proven himself an army buster, destructive power we never see, he is powerful but no where near comic book powerful

BradBalboa
Saurons powerful but come on fanboy-ism much, saying hes kryptonian or High Heald even Sky Father level lafable!!!! Yeahh Supes is vunerable to Magic, doesnt mean someone who uses magic will beat him same appies with kryptonite, Superman vs Sauron is a stupid subject, its like saying a Hawk could beat a Rocket!!!

BradBalboa
Originally posted by Incanus
Ok, Superman get his power from yellow sunlight, right? well, what if Sauron turned into a Balrog or something like Ungoliant taht could emante shadow, therefore blocking the sun and Supermans source of power. Oh, and the Valar would pwn Galactus, as they can do whatever they want, and they could ask Eru for help ;-p Sauron, he gets killed against Galactus unless he starves him or something. [/QUOTE
Blocking the Sun wont do shit, if that where the case superman would ose his powers everytime there wa a storm or it rained or even went cloudy!!! Even without powers granted from yellow sun rays, his kryptonian heritage gives him advantages beign genious level intellect, he woudl still be able to move incredibly fast and be a thousand times stronger than anyone due to lesser gravity. face facts Supes wud easy solo Tolkiens Universes.

Hewhoknowsall
Ok, Superman get his power from yellow sunlight, right? well, what if Sauron turned into a Balrog or something like Ungoliant taht could emante shadow, therefore blocking the sun and Supermans source of power. Oh, and the Valar would pwn Galactus, as they can do whatever they want, and they could ask Eru for help ;-p Sauron, he gets killed against Galactus unless he starves him or something.

No.

Does this "fight" take place in LOTR or DC?? Because unlike in LOTR in DC the sun is a huge burning ball of gas millions of miles across, and Superman can easily just fly into outer space to counter the "blocking out the sun".

And Galactus destroy galaxies. The Valor were afraid of the Numenor.

Incanus
Actually, if there was ABSOLUTLY no light as u are saying, then it would be pitch black every time it rained. Like on a night with no moon. But Eru would kill Galactus no problem =-p same with Superman. And Numenor would kill Superman eventually. =-p Eru completly destroys all DC and Marvel dudes =-p

Darth Truculent
Being a Star Wars fan, I'll say he's on par with Darth Malak.

Red Nemesis
http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/facepalm.jpg

Hewhoknowsall
Actually, if there was ABSOLUTLY no light as u are saying, then it would be pitch black every time it rained. Like on a night with no moon. But Eru would kill Galactus no problem =-p same with Superman. And Numenor would kill Superman eventually. =-p Eru completly destroys all DC and Marvel dudes =-p

Don't understand first part.

True, Eru >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....>>>....Galactus

Uh, no. Numenor defeat Superman????? laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance Happy Dance

No, what about TOAA and Presence?

Incanus
Well, the Valar laid down their governership of Arda when the Numenoreans invaded Aman, as they feared them. And im pretty sure the Valar could kill Superman. But if there was ZERO light WHATSOEVER, then u wouldnt be able to see, as ur sight is made thru light reflecting off air particles and dust and going into ur eye, but with no light, u cant see. Like a night with a new moon, wherethe lightof the sun isnt bouncing off the moon, u have no light, except that of the lamps and stuff from Mankind, no natural light.

Allankles
The Valar could kill Superman if Superman let them pierce him with their magic swords, but if he puts up a fight he'd wipe out the whole lot of them.

Superman could destroy Aman with very little effort. He could easily destory all of Arda (Imbar).

Incanus
Ummmm, how do u get that? There are ALOT of Maiar, and Tulkas could take Superman on 1 on 1, as he s the most fierce warrior in all LOTR, AND Eonwe could stab him in the back........ Or the Valar could have Eru kill him =-p

=Tired Hiker=
How powerful is Sauron truly? Well, I'll tell ya. He's not powerful at all because he 'truly' does not exist.

Hewhoknowsall
Well, the Valar laid down their governership of Arda when the Numenoreans invaded Aman, as they feared them. And im pretty sure the Valar could kill Superman. But if there was ZERO light WHATSOEVER, then u wouldnt be able to see, as ur sight is made thru light reflecting off air particles and dust and going into ur eye, but with no light, u cant see. Like a night with a new moon, wherethe lightof the sun isnt bouncing off the moon, u have no light, except that of the lamps and stuff from Mankind, no natural light.

Please explain to me how the Numenor can even HARM Superman when modern day atomic bombs can't.

And forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Superman have enough stored energy to still have superpowers without sunlight for at least a while (which is enough time for him to pwn the Numenor)? I'm pretty sure that if you were to come up with a freak scenario (like Superman has to start in a block full of kryptonite and the Numenor all have kryptonite weapons) then Superman could lose, but I'm also pretty sure that you could come up with a freak scenario in which Frodo beats Morgoth.

Allankles
Ummmm, how do u get that? There are ALOT of Maiar, and Tulkas could take Superman on 1 on 1, as he s the most fierce warrior in all LOTR, AND Eonwe could stab him in the back........ Or the Valar could have Eru kill him =-p

How do I get what? Superman has planet crashing power (stated several times in the comics). He can move several times faster than light. If the Valar declared war, he'd threaten to sink their whole continent.

If they got aggressive he'd be too fast and too strong for them, not to mention he can spread his heat vision across an entire planet, and said heat vision is hotter than a star.

He can do all this from off planet, essentially out of harms way.

Incanus
But ur forgetting some maiar are immune to fire, as one makes the sun go around in the sky, and they can be killed physically, but then their spirits will bleed him like a stuck pig. Oh, and idk if he has any power energy or whatever stored up, but Numenoreans had enchanted wepons to, they could act like kryptonite. And the Valar would just pwn Superman, face it man. They are like, gods and stuff, they can have Aule or Dwarves stop it. And dont forget Mandos could call on the spirits of the dead to kill Superman. ALL THE DEAD IN LOTR HISTORY.

Hewhoknowsall
But ur forgetting some maiar are immune to fire, as one makes the sun go around in the sky, and they can be killed physically, but then their spirits will bleed him like a stuck pig. Oh, and idk if he has any power energy or whatever stored up, but Numenoreans had enchanted wepons to, they could act like kryptonite. And the Valar would just pwn Superman, face it man. They are like, gods and stuff, they can have Aule or Dwarves stop it. And dont forget Mandos could call on the spirits of the dead to kill Superman. ALL THE DEAD IN LOTR HISTORY.

Superman isn't vulnerable to "enchanted" weapons unless if they are clear cut "magic" and/or kryptonite, and even so they won't be able to actually hit Superman due to him moving at more or less the speed of light. MODERN DAY NUCLEAR WEAPONS can't kill him, so the Numenor would get wtfomglolrofl pwned.

I still don't know who would win Valar or Superman, but I mean the Valar were afraid of the Numenor, so they obviously couldn't "pwn" Superman; they'd be TERRIBLY afraid of a guy that can fly at near the speed of light, lift planets and is immune to almost all extremes of physical harm.

Allankles

Being a spirit doesn't mean you're beating Supes given that he can affect death gods and has destroyed a death god in the comics. The Maiar that governs the sun would only empower Superman, and besides Supes has freeze powers as well.

He's just too powerful for the Valar.

Incanus
I still think the Valar would kill him, as u forget, if they start losing, they can lay down their government of Arda and ERU would wtfomglolrofl pwn Superman. he would.

Hewhoknowsall
I still think the Valar would kill him, as u forget, if they start losing, they can lay down their government of Arda and ERU would wtfomglolrofl pwn Superman. he would.

Dude, that's not fair that Eru would help the Valar: we're talking about Superman vs the VALAR not Eru; I highly doubt that anyone here thinks that Superman could even hurt Eru. And why would Eru intervene anyway? He rarely ever does. You minus well give Superman The Prescense.

Incanus
Well, Eru would not want Superman either in Middle Earth or destroying it before the Dagor Dagollach. So, he would stop him. At least, im pretty sure he would, and Tulkas is probly as strong if not stronger than Superman, as he is able to break a whole bunch of stuff, even tho Superman can to, Tulkas COULD be stronger.

Hewhoknowsall
What "stuff" could Tulkas break that would make him stronger than Superman?

Incanus
well, the walls of Utumno, and mithril, dragon scales, among other things like thatOh, and Melkors armor.

Allankles
How does that equate to what Superman can do? You do realize he can move planets and destroy planetoids with his fists. How do walls of stone and bendable metal equate to that?

Weaker superheroes like the Thing from the Fantastic Four could replicate such feats with ease.

Superman level feats include crushing an entire city of super powered villains by himself, rebuilding an entire city in a matter of moments, tens of skyscrapers included (that's how fast he moves).

Tulkas strength probably doesn't exceed 10 tons.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Allankles
How does that equate to what Superman can do? You do realize he can move planets and destroy planetoids with his fists. How do walls of stone and bendable metal equate to that?

Weaker superheroes like the Thing from the Fantastic Four could replicate such feats with ease.

Superman level feats include crushing an entire city of super powered villains by himself, rebuilding an entire city in a matter of moments, tens of skyscrapers included (that's how fast he moves).

Tulkas strength probably doesn't exceed 10 tons.

Incanus
Uh, you are talking about the Vala who is the strongest thing to ever exist so........... oh, and the walls of Uatumno wernt bendalble, as they were created from the metal that is from the bottom of the Earth, AND they are held together by Melors evil, so as long as he is evil, they wont fall, the Valar got thru cuz they were like, the ultimate good or something.......

Lord Lucien
Or because Morgoth's power was so diminished compared to the Host's.

Hewhoknowsall
Uh, you are talking about the Vala who is the strongest thing to ever exist so........... oh, and the walls of Uatumno wernt bendalble, as they were created from the metal that is from the bottom of the Earth, AND they are held together by Melors evil, so as long as he is evil, they wont fall, the Valar got thru cuz they were like, the ultimate good or something.......

...um, what?

Strongest thing to ever exist? Eru anyone?

Well obviously they were bendable if they were bent, and if they only bent them cause they were ultimate good then that doesn't really help in their fight vs Superman/doesn't show off their STRENGTH. Has Sauron or the Valar ever moved planets?

And I dare you to say that the Valar could defeat Galactus. Dare you.

Birch_Tree
Brining another old thread back from the dead, probably should stay dead but I am bored...

Like others have said it is difficult to compare powers across stories, but we can try. The Valar struggled to shape the world and heal any hurts caused by Melkor. They are fast, but could not outrun Ungoliant which was a giant spider. We saw a fight between a Elven lord and Melkor, the elven lord was able to wound Melkor several times before he eventually lost. We have other examples where elven lords were not significantly more powerful then exceptional humans.

My knowledge of Comics is not the best, and characters power seems to jump all over the place but I would place a Elf Lord at a similar level to the Dark Knight movie batman. Sauron is a stronger level again but still vulnerable, I do not know maybe something like a typical Hulk.. bad example I think.

So I do not think Sauron could defeat Superman when he was written at his most powerful, and would still probably lose even against the weaker Supermans. So I would place Sauron similar in physical fighting ability as Golden Age Superman...

A valar would lose to Silver/Bronze Age superman, but probably comparable in power to Modern era (John Byrne) superman.

So

Elven lord = Dark Knight Movie Batman.
Sauron = Golden Age Superman.
Valar = Modern era (John Byrne) superman

Thoren
This thread is stupid.

Seriously trying to compare power level comics, with Lord of The Rings?

Birch_Tree

King Kandy
Galactus's feats, are actually better than Eru. Eru created a single planet, while Galactus destroys galaxies. Of course, that shows the limits for feat-based analysis.

Birch_Tree
Eru did even less then that, he laid the plans for the world, but sent the Valar down to build it. To be fair, he made the Valar in the first place.

Varda, one of the Valar created the Stars before descending into the world. (or maybe she made them from dew collected from the two trees, need to read my source material). The Sun is a fruit from one of the two trees.. Tolkien's legendarium is rather strange... So, the entire universe was included in Eru's plans.

CPT Space Bomb
It always annoys me to see comic characters compared to fantasy characters. Comic characters are not grounded in reality whatsoever, whereas the LOTR characters were almost all at least believable power levels. Tolkien didn't write his books to cater to the "gimme" generation. He derived his ideas from his Catholic backgrounds (Morgoth = Satan) . Frankly, it's insulting to even compare the two universes.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by Thoren
This thread is stupid.

Seriously trying to compare power level comics, with Lord of The Rings? This....times a Million What the f**k?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.