The Deliberate Dumbing Down Of Our Children

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
http://www.davidicke.com/images/stories/October%202008/dumb_dees.jpg

'Bright teenagers are a disappearing breed, an alarming new study has revealed. The intellectual ability of the country's cleverest youngsters has declined radically, almost certainly due to the rise of TV and computer games and over-testing in schools. The 'high-level thinking' skills of 14-year-olds are now on a par with those of 12-year-olds in 1976.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080791/Dimming-How-brainpower-todays-14-year-olds-slipped-radically-just-generation.html

jaden101
the daily mail...haha...ha

Na seriously though...there is a need for a different type of intelligence nowadays...while i'm against the often touted idea of allowing common misspellings to be accepted in basic English language tests i do believe there needs to be a quicker identification and push towards inherent talents....i believe education is too vague and general even at university level

I also find it highly ironic that a tabloid newspaper accuses anything of dumbing down.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by jaden101
I also find it highly ironic that a tabloid newspaper accuses anything of dumbing down.

True.

jaden101
image hotlink says it all though

lord xyz
I believe there has been a dumbing down though.

The people at my school in the earlier years are way dumber than the people in my year were at that age. Then again, my year has a lot of smart people in it.

This study's evidence is a sample of 800 people, and is basically comparing one result to another.

It's very unscientific and not very valid.

My humble opinion is that although there might be some dumbing down is some places (Birmingham), others might be doing the opposite. After all, we have more technology and understandings today than 1976.

It's probably due to the mass media entertainment and the lack of motivation of today, through all the fear we've been spooned.

leonheartmm
there is dumbing down in politicl and world affair awareness. but general intelligence...........i dunno. people ARE more studious and less bright these days because of the way the curriculum is handled but not in the way u r suggesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.