Limits

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
Does everything have a limit?

In theory, no, because numbers are continuous; but then the theory of infinity arises.

To put it another way, the universe is expanding, but if that's so, it must be expanding into something, which means there's a limit.

Or how about temperature, is there a point where something physically can't get hotter?

We assume all measurements are limitless, but really, they just go further up the line, and lines aren't continuous. Only cycles.

So, is everything limited, or is everything a continuous cycle?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Does everything have a limit?

In theory, no, because numbers are continuous; but then the theory of infinity arises.

To put it another way, the universe is expanding, but if that's so, it must be expanding into something, which means there's a limit.

Or how about temperature, is there a point where something physically can't get hotter?

We assume all measurements are limitless, but really, they just go further up the line, and lines aren't continuous. Only cycles.

So, is everything limited, or is everything a continuous cycle? You are a moron.

lord xyz
Nice insight.

Symmetric Chaos
Only math contains things that don't have limits.

There is an absolute lowest temperature. According to physics the highest temperature possible in our universe is the temperature of the universe at the moment of it's beginning which is apparently 1.32*10^23 K.

Captain REX
No need for that, Bardy.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Only math contains things that don't have limits.

There is an absolute lowest temperature. According to physics the highest temperature possible in our universe is the temperature of the universe at the moment of it's beginning which is apparently 1.32*10^23 K. Forget the universe, is there an absolute everything?

Grand-Moff-Gav
Forget the universe, is there an absolute everything?

Amount of alcohol you can have in your blood before you break the law if you attempt to drive in the United Kingdom?

Symmetric Chaos
Forget the universe, is there an absolute everything?

Ignoring the bonds of reality . . . no.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Ignoring the bonds of reality . . . no.

The is an absolute number of times you can pop a balloon without repairing it and blowing it up again...(I am being a dick I know...but HA!)

lord xyz
Ignoring the bonds of reality . . . no. Think of it like this, the universe is not the biggest thing. If it's a real thing then there are things greater than it by laws of probability.

So what's the biggest? Is there a biggest? Is there an everything?

Bardock42
How do you even define your "everything". What is the "absolute everything" you are thinking about?

Why must the universe be expanding into "something", and if it does expend into something why does that have to have a limit?

Are you talking about temperature in theory, or temperature as it is in our universe or temperature how it might be anywhere outside our universe?

It's all just very misinformed, blind guessing. Nothing you are talking about makes much sense or is particularly well thought out.

B-but sorry I called you a moron. no expression

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Why must the universe be expanding into "something", and if it does expend into something why does that have to have a limit?

While waiting for my doctor's appointment, I read a science article which mentioned a theory that the Universe is limitless and will forever be expanding.

lord xyz
B-but sorry I called you a moron. no expression You were being rude and unreasonable.

How can you not get that that was uncalled for?

Mairuzu
Would i be flamed if i said, Batman has no limits?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
The is an absolute number of times you can pop a balloon without repairing it and blowing it up again...(I am being a dick I know...but HA!)

That depends entirely on which reality you're in.

Think of it like this, the universe is not the biggest thing. If it's a real thing then there are things greater than it by laws of probability.

So what's the biggest? Is there a biggest? Is there an everything?

On a scale of one to ten, how high are you right now?

Bardock42
You were being rude and unreasonable.

How can you not get that that was uncalled for?

I apologized, move on.

Still, your questions posed are juvenile at best. It's nothing particularly deep and some just plain nonsensical. Many of the things you want to talk about are ill-defined or absolutely abstract. Also, nice how you disregarded my points.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Would i be flamed if i said, Batman has no limits?

Pre or Post COIE? Hell what happens to him after after FC and RIP are done? But you're probably right, he is the goddamned Batman afterall.

inimalist
doesn't this depend entirely on the variable in question?

like, we can define scales with ends, thus limits exist.

hell, the concept of a limit is contingent to something having a variable that exists in a scale upon which a measurement can be made. All such scales are anthropic. So, yes, limits can exist, but only because we define them.

On a scale of one to ten, how high are you right now?

hey, that is prejudice against those of us who are high right now

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist

hey, that is prejudice against those of us who are high right now

That's a euphemism for what I said in my first post, I demand this man be punished for his misbehaviour.

Symmetric Chaos
That's a euphemism for what I said in my first post, I demand this man be punished for his misbehaviour.

I asked a reasonable question in order to discern the reasoning for his statements.

Bardock42
I asked a reasonable question in order to discern the reasoning for his statements. Yeah, I didn't mean you though, hence quoting inimalist.

I do agree that highness does cause thoughts that venture into such realms though...and the point that much of what he says is not very thought through also is a sign for it.

On the other hand, inimalist makes a good point while being high.

Also, we should talk about limits, not highness.

inimalist
On the other hand, inimalist makes a good point while being high.

that was my only point...

and my post was sort of a euphemism for your first one as well... Not in a mean way though... cause you know, I roll like that

Bardock42
that was my only point...

and my post was sort of a euphemism for your first one as well... Not in a mean way though... cause you know, I roll like that

Nah, you also made good points about limits being often artificial on artificial scales.

That's what I meant

inimalist
Nah, you also made good points about limits being often artificial on artificial scales.

That's what I meant

I'd have to say they are all artificial though

Its like Xeno's paradox of motion. An object must pass through an infinite number of specific locations before reaching another point.

Our scales are totally man made, in a way for us to put the universe into sort of discrete pieces. I guess it is true that they represent natural phenomena, but the measures and values are all man made.

lord xyz
doesn't this depend entirely on the variable in question?

like, we can define scales with ends, thus limits exist.

hell, the concept of a limit is contingent to something having a variable that exists in a scale upon which a measurement can be made. All such scales are anthropic. So, yes, limits can exist, but only because we define them. You're saying there isn't an actual limit to things. Which is what made me think, how is that possible?

hey, that is prejudice against those of us who are high right now Not cool.

Bardock42
I'd have to say they are all artificial though

Its like Xeno's paradox of motion. An object must pass through an infinite number of specific locations before reaching another point.

Our scales are totally man made, in a way for us to put the universe into sort of discrete pieces. I guess it is true that they represent natural phenomena, but the measures and values are all man made. I agree the scales are all manmade. The limits though, I don't know. I would say there are some limits that exist that we describe on scales.

And just stop whining, xyz, not cool

inimalist
You're saying there isn't an actual limit to things. Which is what made me think, how is that possible?

see my answer to Bardock

Not cool.

I don't follow

I agree the scales are all manmade. The limits though, I don't know. I would say there are some limits that exist that we describe on scales.

And just stop whining, xyz, not cool

Ya, it slipped my mind for a second that we were talking about limits and not scales.

I guess what you put earlier about which type of limit we are talking about is the most important, and knowing the particular variable in question.

Like, there is a limit to the lowest possible width of a solid object, an atom's width, but maybe that just pushes the anthropic definition back one level, and now "object" and "width" become the anthropic terms.

I don't know, I guess I have to concede that the physical properties of the universe do limit things in a certain way. Though, what Sym said about math being limitless is true.

RedAlertv2

On a scale of one to ten, how high are you right now? Is there a limit to how high he could be? Is ten the limit?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Is there a limit to how high he could be? Is ten the limit?

*sigh*

Listen to me you plebeian, it's a logarithmic scale with an asymptote at ten. Get it?

leonheartmm
numbers are concepts. anything PHYSICAL, from all that we have seen, has LIMITS to their magnitude, in whatever physical property we want to see. among EXISTING things, id say that imagination is the only thing that has no limits,

lord xyz
Kind of a dumb thread here.

Damn my boredom.

Storm
Closed on request of the thread starter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.