Buzz droids Vs Jedi: So how come....?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sadako of Girth
I was just watching the beginning of ROTS again...

And once again I got to the scene where the Buzz droids were attacking the Jedi starfighters, and the eloborate attempts begin to get them off, by the droids and then Anakin's dangerous collision tactic thing...

So how come the Jedi wouldn't just use the force to flick them off the hulls of the ships...?

queeq
Good point.

And why doesn't Anakin control his fighter better?

Sadako of Girth
I kinda read the Anakin's sloppiness thing down to not only Anakin's movements but the erratic movements of Obi-wan's damaged fighter also... still I know what you mean... you would be forgiven think that the 'greatest star pilot in all the galaxy" would somehow account for said variables and compensate...especially gifted with forsesight etc with the force.

What a muppet he is, eh...?

queeq
Quite

Lord Knightfa11
The force doesn't work through material, I think its a line of sight thing.

thread has served its purpose, close it or I'm taking it on a wild ride on an off-topic trail.

queeq
Oh...another mod wannabe... wink

Lord Knightfa11
Not really... Just a warning, kind of like if i wanted to rob a bank I wouldn't go in and shoot the teller. I want to go off topic, but if I want to spare myself the trouble I can threaten to in hopes that you will close it.

Its the equivalent of walking into the bank and saying "give me all your money or else." instead of just shooting everyone.

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
Oh...another mod wannabe... wink

Hehehe. Oh yeah. Someday....

....someday...

queeq
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
Not really... Just a warning, kind of like if i wanted to rob a bank I wouldn't go in and shoot the teller. I want to go off topic, but if I want to spare myself the trouble I can threaten to in hopes that you will close it.

Its the equivalent of walking into the bank and saying "give me all your money or else." instead of just shooting everyone.

How... kind of you. sick

steverules

So you're going to shoot Queeq?

queeq
*Anakin voice* He will try.

steverules
Why Anakin? Do vader...he sounds cooler and you know it

queeq
But it was Anakin's line.

Lord Knightfa11
No i'm going to make the thread go off topic and die.

so what are y'all's favorite fast food items?

sweersa
No i'm going to make the thread go off topic and die.

so what are y'all's favorite fast food items?

Death sticks!

Lord Knightfa11
NO STAR WARS!

I like the mcchicken. its cheap, and it tastes good.

queeq
It doesn't taste like chicken though.

Lord Knightfa11
ya it does... well... Now that I think about it, what does chicken taste like?

queeq
Not like a McChicken.

sweersa
NO STAR WARS!

What?!

Well, I like Taco Bell most of the time, very cheap, for better fast food it is Wendy's FTW.

The baconator burger. Oh yeah.

queeq
Sounds yummy... but then, it's still fastfood.

Sadako of Girth

thread has served its purpose, close it or I'm taking it on a wild ride on an off-topic trail.

I'd dispute that.

If the force doesnt work other than line of sight, and cant go through material. (When Yoda's teachings in ESB state that all it is all the force, 'the air, the rock, the tree') explain the following:

1) Vader's ability to choke people from other ships.

2) Leia sensing Luke at the ends of ESB and ROTJ.

3) Yoda watching people from interstella distances.

4) Lukes ability to see and react to the seeker ball on the falcon through that blast visor.

5) Anakin using his force abilities to sense the killer slug danger in Padmes bedroom in AOTC.

6) Vader's ability to use the force at all on anything outside his suity made-with-materials casing.

7) In the ROTS buzzdroid/starfighter situation, the droids were in their direct line of sight.

Man of Christ

that is untrue as you can see in episode 5 i think, vader used the force to choke someone out over the intercom, who was not in the same room as he, so i think the force does work through matterials. it isnt always a liine of sight thing.

obi wan couldnt see qui gon's saber which was above him but he felt it though the foce and still moved it on the way up. (notice how even though obi wan wasnt looking right at it, it started to vibrate).

my reasoning for obi wan not using the force to get rid of the buzz droids is that he was too busy focusing on the controll panel to tap into the foce. if he had he wouldve lost the controlls for a minute and under his conditions couldve crashed.

Sadako of Girth
Now that sounds a bit more plausible.

But the Jedi a bit crap then, if while they struggle with that,
Darth Maul, Vader etc are shown being able to use their force abilities mid battle even whist taking on two lightsabre armed Jedi at a time.

And how long would it have taken to do it..?
They'd only have to break concentration for a second, if what we had seen from them in other situations is to go by...

And if danger was the concern, then would that brief second be more dangerous than Anakin crashing into and partially destroying Obi-wan's ship, disrupting its ability to steer...?

Ushgarak
He was distracted flying the ship (which otherwise would have gone out of control seeing as it was being torn up), he is in an exceptionally poor position to make the required hand movements, and for that matter the droids seemed to have some form of sci-fi magnetism going anyway.

Frankly, from other situations we have seen it strikes me as near impossible for Obi-Wan to have pushed them all off that way.

Oh, not that it massively changes this, but Vader never choked anyone on a seperate ship.

queeq
Separate ship?

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Ushgarak
He was distracted flying the ship (which otherwise would have gone out of control seeing as it was being torn up), he is in an exceptionally poor position to make the required hand movements, and for that matter the droids seemed to have some form of sci-fi magnetism going anyway.

Frankly, from other situations we have seen it strikes me as near impossible for Obi-Wan to have pushed them all off that way.

Oh, not that it massively changes this, but Vader never choked anyone on a seperate ship.

Oh so he was just talking to the bridge of his own ship...? Not altogether to clear in the movie. Still pretty an impressive demo nonetheless.

Ok even if he couldnt have pushed them all off then surely a few/couple.
Even the one attacking the canopy....
Some effort at least.

The hand movement thing. Not saying that your logic is unsound here, did Luke have to make hand movements when hand standing with the moving of the rocks in training on Dagobah...?
Vader looked like he could do it simply by bowing his head in concentration too in ESB while throwing stuff at Luke in Bespin.

When ever Anakin does the gesture after AOTC, (and Luke after ESB) its not his hand he is holding up, suggesting at least that if you do have to make the hand movement, it at least doesn't have to be your hand neccessarily... stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
Separate ship?

Yes, Ush had quite rightly picked up on my stating that the Vader/Admiral choking incident over the comm screens in ESB was a ship-to-ship choking.

He is of ther opinion that it was actually on the same ship, as being such a big ship, commscreens were likely to be employed due to distance on said big ship. Which sounds plausible enough to me.

Gonna rewatch ESB.

Jovan
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The hand movement thing. Not saying that your logic is unsound here, did Luke have to make hand movements when hand standing with the moving of the rocks in training on Dagobah...?
Vader looked like he could do it simply by bowing his head in concentration too in ESB while throwing stuff at Luke in Bespin.
but now you're comparing one guy practicing on fairly small rocks with the chosen one

anyway, I always had the idea OB1 sucked as a pilot and thus needed his both hands anyway (even if the ship was undamaged) and also needed his entire focus on the piloting ("flying is for droids" or something like that)

Sadako of Girth
Right. Fair enough there is that undercurrent.
But what about Anakin...?

And exactly, if the guy with little rocks who is a learner can do it, then why can't the chosen one...?

queeq
Vader could pull a gun out of Han's hand. Looks like there's possibility to pull stuff that is held firmly.

Yes, Ush had quite rightly picked up on my stating that the Vader/Admiral choking incident over the comm screens in ESB was a ship-to-ship choking.

He is of ther opinion that it was actually on the same ship, as being such a big ship, commscreens were likely to be employed due to distance on said big ship. Which sounds plausible enough to me.

Gonna rewatch ESB.

He's right. Ozzel is the admiral and he resides on Vader's flagship. Just as Piett does after his promotion. In ROTJ we also see Piett together with Vader when they communicatie with shuttle Tyderium.

Jovan
Right. Fair enough there is that undercurrent.
But what about Anakin...?

And exactly, if the guy with little rocks who is a learner can do it, then why can't the chosen one...?
because he's a prick who wants to show off

Sadako of Girth
LOLZ laughing out loud

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth

He's right. Ozzel is the admiral and he resides on Vader's flagship. Just as Piett does after his promotion. In ROTJ we also see Piett together with Vader when they communicatie with shuttle Tyderium.

Confirmed also by re-watching.

Nice one. smile

queeq
Always.

Jack Daniels
hey Im great at off topic I always talk about beer and booze would I serve a purpose here? beer

JediRobin23
Buzz droids are force resistant

NonSensi-Klown
... what?

queeq
Because they drink a lot of beer?

Jack Daniels
buzz droids cant be all that bad if they drink alot of beer

Sadako of Girth
No doubt a lot a fun at parties, but force resistant..?

Where was this stated, and why didn't all droids get make with that capability/property...? Or even the elite...?

Smells a bit EUey to me...

sweersa

Where was this stated, and why didn't all droids get make with that capability/property...? Or even the elite...?

Hahaha. I will have to remember that phrase next time I am trolling the EU section.

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

Anakin_the_Hutt
Their Force Powers are diminished due to movie-logic. It wouldn't be exciting if Anakin and Obi-Wan could just Force Pluck the droids off their ship.

They should've been able to show some of that, though. Like when R2 is about to get his top sawed off - the fact that Anakin is powerless and could do nothing but stare and yell, "Get him, R2!" when we all know he could just flick his wrist and turn that droid into a pretsel...it's dumb.

Hell of a way to start the final Star Wars flick.

sweersa
Originally posted by Anakin_the_Hutt
Their Force Powers are diminished due to movie-logic. It wouldn't be exciting if Anakin and Obi-Wan could just Force Pluck the droids off their ship.

They should've been able to show some of that, though. Like when R2 is about to get his top sawed off - the fact that Anakin is powerless and could do nothing but stare and yell, "Get him, R2!" when we all know he could just flick his wrist and turn that droid into a pretsel...it's dumb.

Hell of a way to start the final Star Wars flick.

Can Anakin do things using the Force when a window is between himself and the target? Maybe he didn't want to demolish his windshield and be sucked into the atmosphere.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by sweersa
Can Anakin do things using the Force when a window is between himself and the target? Maybe he didn't want to demolish his windshield and be sucked into the atmosphere.

Good question.
So the force is not almighty, just use a window to protect yourself from it.

sweersa
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Good question.

Hehe. We I am sure Anakin could have destroyed the window and droid but that would create a larger problem for obvious reasons.

Jack Daniels
Im going with sweersa on this one they were using all their force power to fly and would have had to concentrate on not force pushing the window and get shot down by not anticipating where the next laser blast was coming from...yeah that all sounds feasible er somethin like that...?..lol

Anakin_the_Hutt
Movie Logic. Just like in the middle of any lightsaber fight, why doesn't any opponent just Force Crush the other's chest? Like what Mace did to Grievous. Or pop their head like a zit with the Force? Movie Logic, "It needs to be exciting."

Technically, he was totally capable of Force Plucking those little robo-space ticks. There isn't a reason why not. The Force works through space and time...but not glass?

NonSensi-Klown

There is no non-living thing that is "force resistant", even in EU.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
There is no non-living thing that is "force resistant", even in EU. fail... the evil blue minions of thrawn in dark empire or their lizards or something are force resistant.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Non-living.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Good question.

Again, as Vader in ESB he demonstrated that he could be seperated from his victim by as much as a couple of miles, with tonnes and tonnes of metal, glass, plastic, plasteel (or whatever they call that stuff), that make up the structure of the Avenger and still choke him out.

So likelyhood is, that window aint doin' shit. stick out tongue
(Except show Anakin were his attackers were, right in front of him)

True about dramatic licence, well, why not have them fling a few off at least just to address this obvious-when-you-think-about-it issue..?
They could have had maybe more of 'em to still have enough left after force pushes/pulls/crushes have been done to warrant the tension/peril...

Anakin_the_Hutt
Damn skippy.

Jack Daniels
Again, as Vader in ESB he demonstrated that he could be seperated from his victim by as much as a couple of miles, with tonnes and tonnes of metal, glass, plastic, plasteel (or whatever they call that stuff), that make up the structure of the Avenger and still choke him out.

So likelyhood is, that window aint doin' shit. stick out tongue
(Except show Anakin were his attackers were, right in front of him)

True about dramatic licence, well, why not have them fling a few off at least just to address this obvious-when-you-think-about-it issue..?
They could have had maybe more of 'em to still have enough left after force pushes/pulls/crushes have been done to warrant the tension/peril...

hmmm but a force push is different? force squash like in rots?...haha wifey burnt the fries gotta go be back..lol

Jack Daniels
okay I applied quantum mechanics to this theory and come up with the answer...as midichlorians are tiny quantum physics could explain the...nah Im just bull$hittin...I still dont know...I just like the word buzz

Sadako of Girth
LOL Fair play. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.