Oblivion vs Fallout 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wil7
I have been trying to compare these two games. I couldn't really choose which one I would rather have, Oblivion, or Fallout 3. Which would you rather have?

Phat J
i might be biased because i was more into videogames when i played oblivion but fallout failed to suck me in like oblivion did. the setting just doesnt really do it for me.

Neo Darkhalen
Oblivion, because of the quests and the fact you can still level up after level 20, there's always something still to do in Oblivion.

Oh and Oblivion doesn't pull a beginners trap move, which is lock the doors in the final chamber and not tell the player if they save in there they can never come back out.

But Fallout 3's world feels better, the locations are better, so on the map side of things, Fallout beats Oblivion by far.

Wil7
Originally posted by Phat J
i might be biased because i was more into videogames when i played oblivion but fallout failed to suck me in like oblivion did. the setting just doesnt really do it for me.

I have to agree that the setting I didn't like as much as I did Oblivion. All of the weapons in each game are really cool, but what stands out to me is the shooting the body parts in Fallout 3. I will say it is too close to say for me, but I probably would choose Oblivion, because I like my Argonian, and the abilities that any of the characters get in Oblivion.

BackFire
Fallout 3.

The quests were more interesting and engaging, the leveling system wasn't a jumbled mess, the story was better, the world is far less generic and also more detailed and more fun to explore, and the combat is better.

Wil7
Originally posted by BackFire
Fallout 3.

The quests were more interesting and engaging, the leveling system wasn't a jumbled mess, the story was better, the world is far less generic and also more detailed and more fun to explore, and the combat is better.

Quests being more interesting- I don't know about that
Story being better- I liked both stories pretty evenly
World- I liked the world better in Oblivion
Combat being better- Can't disagree, unless Fallout 3 didn't have the body targeting system, then they would both be evenly matched

I never had a guy run up to me in Fallout 3, and ask for my money, and that has happened so many times in Oblivion.

@stroFan
Fallout.

I enjoyed Oblivion, but I have never been a fan of that LoTR fantasy style setting, Zelda is about the only game(or any medium) where I enjoy that kind of stuff. Fallout's setting is a lot closer to reality, save for mutants. The combat is much better, I am actually playing the main story which I never did in Oblivion, and its just so much better at sucking you in. I put in 12 hours on my first day alone.

Nemesis X
Neither Fallout 3 or Oblivion win when it comes to the third person views because they both equally suck.

I will say that Fallout 3 wins due to awesome weapons and the way you blow body parts off of enemies.

Lord Knightfa11
Oblivion with mods>all. vanilla oblivion<half of all.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Neither Fallout 3 or Oblivion win when it comes to the third person views because they both equally suck.

I will say that Fallout 3 wins due to awesome weapons and the way you blow body parts off of enemies.

There's a mode called first person view in both games you know....guess what, you can switch between them.

Wil7
Originally posted by @stroFan
Fallout.

I enjoyed Oblivion, but I have never been a fan of that LoTR fantasy style setting, Zelda is about the only game(or any medium) where I enjoy that kind of stuff. Fallout's setting is a lot closer to reality, save for mutants. The combat is much better, I am actually playing the main story which I never did in Oblivion, and its just so much better at sucking you in. I put in 12 hours on my first day alone.

You are missing out if you never played the story. That is why you think the Fallout story is better, because you never played Oblivion's story. Again, the only reason the combat is better is because of the shooting off limbs, and without it, it is Oblivion combat with guns. You need to play Oblivion's story, because it is an awesome story.

Lord Knightfa11
I like 3rd person oblivion for movement and stuff cause its more cinematic, but for combat, its 1st person.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
There's a mode called first person view in both games you know....guess what, you can switch between them.

I know you can choose to be in either first person or third person. I just think that the third person view sucks.

Wil7
I am not a big fan of the 3rd person views either, but besides that, the games are still fun.

The only main reason I say that Fallout 3, and Oblivion are even is because of the limb shooting off. If Oblivion had limb cutting off, Oblivion would be better.

BackFire
Oblivion's story is incredibly generic. "Go save the world from hell demons".

The world is as well, just a run of the mill fantasy setting, nothing particularly unique or special about it.

Fallout 3 though, story is unique, the choices you can make actually affect the outcome, the side missions are infinitely better, and the world is one of the most well realized and unique settings to ever grace a game. There's so much detail in every little spot. The only problem with the Fallout 3 world is that it's a bit too small for all you can do and find, it feels cramped at times, but better this than Oblivion's often long stretches of land with nothing more than a bunch of pretty looking trees.

It's really no contest for me, not even close. I think Fallout 3 is better in every perceivable way.

Neo Darkhalen
I heard DLC is coming with more quests which is cool, if you plus that with a patch to let you go past level 20, then this is the better game...i do have to say the combat is better in fallout, it's just that damn limitation that lets it down for me.

Wil7
Originally posted by BackFire
It's really no contest for me, not even close. I think Fallout 3 is better in every perceivable way.

It's o.k. if you think that, but the character creation in Fallout is terrible compared to Oblivion's, where each race has there own abilities in Oblivion, as where you get no special abilities. My Argonian>My Caucasion.

BackFire
It made up for it by having leveling up actually mean something in Fallout 3. It gave up giving each race a special ability for the perk system, which is more important and makes leveling matter.

@stroFan
Originally posted by Wil7
You are missing out if you never played the story. That is why you think the Fallout story is better, because you never played Oblivion's story. Again, the only reason the combat is better is because of the shooting off limbs, and without it, it is Oblivion combat with guns. You need to play Oblivion's story, because it is an awesome story.

I played it for a while, but eventually just stopped and never went back. And when I started a new game I didnt go back to the story.

Zack Fair
I have to admit I couldn't play more than an hour of Oblivion. After I escaped the prison that was it. Don't know why but everything felt stupid to me.

Fallout on the other hand pawned me right from the very beginning.

Nemesis X
I wonder how interesting Fallout 3 would've been if you played a mutant and fought against the humans.

Wil7
I liked the prison part more than the Vault 101 part. If they were going to do the Vault 101 part, they should have started it where you need to leave right away. Plus, I liked the cities better in Oblivion, IMO, they were better.

MIŠT
Fallout 3. Hopefully they use a similar system for the next Elder Scrolls - better combat, better lvling/perks, better NPCs, karma system....and maybe something to actually do ermm

WrathfulDwarf
A hard choice...but as for gaming it goes to Oblivion. You get to higher levels with Oblivion.... whereas with Fallout 3 you can't get pass 20.

Storywise goes to Fallout 3.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Nemesis X

Fallout's 3rd person was unbearable I played 3rd all of Oblivion though.

Schwarzenegger
Well i enjoyed oblivion because there were so many mods to download but i have yet to play fallout 3 but i hope some quality mods will be released doon.

ragesRemorse
Which is better? Well, it really depends on your preference. Which do you enjoy more, a fantasy setting or a post-apocalyptic setting? They both have unique and engaging combat systems. The gameplay and story for both are just as ensnaring. Oblivion forces you to become an active participant and create your own story where as Fallout 3 presents itself as a more traditional video game and drops you into the story from the start. As far as graphics go, well Fallout 3 is a new game and Oblivion is three years old. So, Fallout is obviously more detailed and refined. Considering the gap in years i would still give Fallout 3 the edge in graphics because the environments are very diverse and creative.

Oblivion forces you put work in to get something out of your game playing experience. Fallout 3 has this as well, but it feels much more like a traditional game which means it also feels easier to play. If i had to choose which game i enjoy more. I would probably say Fallout 3 just because it's a new experience and so far, it is as engaging and entertaining as Oblivion but Oblivion gave me one of the most memorable gaming experiences i've ever had and it's to early to say whether or not Fallout 3 will match that.

Wil7
Probably agree with most of your words, but even though it is a new experience, I would still probably choose Oblivion, but not by much.

RocasAtoll
Fallout 3. Storyline was nowhere near as generic, and I was disappointed with Oblivion compared to Morrowind personally.

Wil7
You were disappointed, how?

RocasAtoll
The leveling up along with the game and I just generally didn't like the feel compared to Morrowind. It just felt like another fantasy story while Morrowind had at least some amount of creativity with the setting and the characters.

Menetnashté
Well I beat Fallout 3 today and compared to Oblivion I have to say I enjoyed the story way more than Oblivions. But I dunno which game I liked better. They both had their pros and cons. I think my biggest problem with Fallout was it was pretty much end game once you beat the main plot and they didn't have anything like The dark brotherhood or the mages guild. Fallout was awesome it was just lacking a lot of features that Oblivion had, you could ride horses in oblivion, you could pretty much just walk to everywhere in Oblivion without trouble, in fallout you have to use a lot of tunnels and what not. Though it had a lot of good things to it seemed to have more replay value than oblivion, seemed to have a larger variety of weapons, and maybe it was just me but the landscape seemed larger, the VATS system was sick and the plot was just better and it seemed longer. While Oblivion was amazing once I was done with it I didn't really feel like returning to it, I'd found everything there was to find all the easter eggs and what not. Which was another thing I liked about Oblivion it had tons of easter eggs I only found a few in Fallout (though I haven't explored everything yet) but anyway I think I'd go with Fallout right now.

Wil Deidara
It is official to me. Even though Fallout 3 has some stuff that Oblivion doesn't, and visa versa, I am going to choose Oblivion because of how the game ends. Still would play boyh though, but probably prefer Oblivion.

Schwarzenegger
Since i had a 2nd play through and this time i took more time to explore the game as best i can(and with awesome mods), i say fallout 3 beats oblivion by miles for me.

Why?

-The world isn't just some "empty" landmass like it was in oblivion, there were stuff that you could actually do and stuff to look forward too, oblivions mainland is just to "barren" and nothing much to do.

-Combat
Both are good.

- The quests imo in fallout 3 are greater than that of oblivion because personally i find them very much interesting when compared to many quests in oblivion which is to "kill this kill that" which does get repititive after a while.

Oh and doing some of the quests in fallout 3 will lead you to new stuff, locations, items, monsters etc without ever intending to find them in the first place(an example would be like i was suppose to go to roboco for a quest but then i discovered tenpenny tower or any ruins along the way).

However i like the part when ragesremorse mentioned that oblivion forces your to create your own story whereas fallout3 kind of puts you into its own story from the start, that is one thing i prefer oblivion over fallout.

As for the excitement i didn't really know what to expect in fallout 3 whereas for oblivion it was a little bit predictable.

So for me fallout 3 wins.

Not being fanboyish but fallout 3 is perhaps the best game i played so far, much better than even GTA IV and even so than mass effect which i loved playing on the pc. This is just my personal opinion.

Wil Deidara
Originally posted by Schwarzenegger
Since i had a 2nd play through and this time i took more time to explore the game as best i can(and with awesome mods), i say fallout 3 beats oblivion by miles for me.

Why?

-The world isn't just some "empty" landmass like it was in oblivion, there were stuff that you could actually do and stuff to look forward too, oblivions mainland is just to "barren" and nothing much to do.

-Combat
Both are good.

- The quests imo in fallout 3 are greater than that of oblivion because personally i find them very much interesting when compared to many quests in oblivion which is to "kill this kill that" which does get repititive after a while.

Oh and doing some of the quests in fallout 3 will lead you to new stuff, locations, items, monsters etc without ever intending to find them in the first place(an example would be like i was suppose to go to roboco for a quest but then i discovered tenpenny tower or any ruins along the way).

However i like the part when ragesremorse mentioned that oblivion forces your to create your own story whereas fallout3 kind of puts you into its own story from the start, that is one thing i prefer oblivion over fallout.

As for the excitement i didn't really know what to expect in fallout 3 whereas for oblivion it was a little bit predictable.

So for me fallout 3 wins.

Not being fanboyish but fallout 3 is perhaps the best game i played so far, much better than even GTA IV and even so than mass effect which i loved playing on the pc. This is just my personal opinion.

I don't think you really played Oblivion because there was tons of stuff to do. You had a bunch of side missions, you could join certain groups of people, you have to find all of the caves, and tunnels, and more.

Combat- Little Edge to Fallout 3

Some quests leads you to new stuff as well in Oblivion.

Agreed on the story

How was it alittle predictable? I expected someone to break out of Vault 101, I knew it was going to be me for a fact, and I was thinking the dad was going to as well. I didn't expect the King to die in the very beginning.

No way Fallout is better than GTAIV.

Also Oblivion has the expansion pack with 2 extra stories, and Fallout 3 doesn't.

Schwarzenegger
Originally posted by Wil Deidara
I don't think you really played Oblivion because there was tons of stuff to do. You had a bunch of side missions, you could join certain groups of people, you have to find all of the caves, and tunnels, and more. I did actually, completed fighters guild, dark brother hood, did tons of quests in the game after the main quest and then got bored to death, im just saying the landscape in F3 was alot more interesting and not so barren like oblivions.

Some quests leads you to new stuff as well in Oblivion.
But personally they are not as exciting to me.

How was it alittle predictable? I expected someone to break out of Vault 101, I knew it was going to be me for a fact, and I was thinking the dad was going to as well. I didn't expect the King to die in the very beginning.
But the rest of the game that predictable? No. Again this is my personal opinion.

No way Fallout is better than GTAIV.
You are inclined to disagree, we both have different opinions, and yes, in my opinion fallout 3 is better than GTA IV in some aspects and GTA IV is also better than F3 in some aspects.

I never said f3 is way better than gta iv.

Also Oblivion has the expansion pack with 2 extra stories, and Fallout 3 doesn't. Uh fallout 3 has 3 extra stories coming up. Check it out man its awesome, we get to play after the main quest(with new content) once the final DLC comes out next march.

Oh and if your playing on PC start modding away smile

Wil Deidara
I did actually, completed fighters guild, dark brother hood, did tons of quests in the game after the main quest and then got bored to death, im just saying the landscape in F3 was alot more interesting and not so barren like oblivions.

But personally they are not as exciting to me.

But the rest of the game that predictable? No. Again this is my personal opinion.
You are inclined to disagree, we both have different opinions, and yes, in my opinion fallout 3 is better than GTA IV in some aspects and GTA IV is also better than F3 in some aspects.

I never said f3 is way better than gta iv.
Uh fallout 3 has 3 extra stories coming up. Check it out man its awesome, we get to play after the main quest(with new content) once the final DLC comes out next march.

Oh and if your playing on PC start modding away smile

How can you get bored to death in Oblivion when there is way less in F3?

Fine then.

Well you have a kinda messed up personal opinion then.

fallout 3 is perhaps the best game i played so far, much better than even GTA IV and even so than mass effect

I already know. Not as interested in those as I was for the extra stories in Oblivion.

PS3

Marvel Kid
Oblivion is enthralling and inescapably beatiful and lush with rivers, mountains, sunsets, music, and so on. Fallout is awesome because of the realistic way if you kill someone's love one (For example James Hargrave's mom) the people realize that she has been killed and will talk about it in there current events. In Oblivion if you kill someone's loved one they go on about it and can be coerced to not hate your character. Also, you can't compare graphics little ones, because Oblivion was made in 2006 and FO3 in 2008-09. My vote has to go to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the way it draws you in and makes you want to keep playing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.