How did they make the transforming noise in the 80s cartoon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UKR
That really amazing noise. Once you hear it as a kid you'll remember it the rest of your life. How did the people who made the show make that noise?

Sadako of Girth
Damn good question.

My guess is that they recorded something, then played it back on keys playing the 6 or so notes up and down whatever octave they pick at varing octaves and speeds, and ascending or decending order.

As for what the original sound is, thats the question, rather than how they modulated it.. from its texture, it sounds like the original sound could have been in the sort of higher range that they use for the small TFs (cassettes like Ravage and minibots like Bumblebee) but slowed down for the medium sized and bigger TFs..
So i'd listen to those smaller guys when trying to deduce what the original sound was.
It may have even been synth generated.

But to me, it sounds like they sampled a rasp of derision from R2-D2.

And that would be possible too...!

They sampled the lightsabres and some blasters..even tie fighter passing-by noises....!!!

So my money would be on that...R2 rasp.

Kazenji
I'm surprised that they have'nt included something on this topic on the G1 Dvds.

Sadako of Girth
Maybe its a trade secret because of the R2 sampling copyright implications... stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.