Solomon Grundy (Peak Version) vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
No BFR.

Who wins?

Starscream M
anyone with an opinion on this fight?

DigiMark007
Grundy's an anomaly. His team-busting peak shouldn't really exist, because most of his incarnations seem less impressive than multiple versions of, say, Hulk. But we do have him (mostly in Silver Age stuff) taking apart teams that would certainly give Thor plenty of defeats.

So everyone wants to say Thor, since logic should dictate that he wins, but no one knows how to reconcile that opinion with Grundy's showings against teams with multiple herald-types on them.

I suppose straight bricks can be at that level (Mangog, for example), it's just exceedingly rare. Grundy's peak versions, though certainly not the majority of his incarnations, are at least flirting with that kind of power. So I'll say 5/5 to each, because I'm wishy-washy like that.

StiltmanFTW
If Thor plays it smart, he wins.

Knowsbleed33
I see classic Grundy beating Thor into the ground.

lawest9
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
I see classic Grundy beating Thor into the ground. Only if thors fighting without his hammer.

UKR
Originally posted by lawest9
Only if thors fighting without his hammer.

Where'd the thing with Thor being powerless without his hammer come from? He's got 100+ strength. I don't see why Superman and Hercules hit harder than him. Superman's speed aside (not that he uses it when fighting), they don't have any physical offensive power he doesn't. Thor should be that tough without the hammer, and it should be as effective as a hammer actually really would be; the story should always be written so that Thor only uses the hammer on guys who are either armed (logically his warrior honor should prevent him from using a weapon on an unarmed foe) or way above his level. If Thor uses his hammer on the Hulk or Superman, it should be the same as if a guy got hit in the head with a hammer by someone as strong as himself. It should be so that the guy Thor's fighting could be killed.

occultdestroyer
Solomon Grundy

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by UKR
Where'd the thing with Thor being powerless without his hammer come from? He's got 100+ strength. I don't see why Superman and Hercules hit harder than him. Superman's speed aside (not that he uses it when fighting), they don't have any physical offensive power he doesn't. Thor should be that tough without the hammer, and it should be as effective as a hammer actually really would be; the story should always be written so that Thor only uses the hammer on guys who are either armed (logically his warrior honor should prevent him from using a weapon on an unarmed foe) or way above his level. If Thor uses his hammer on the Hulk or Superman, it should be the same as if a guy got hit in the head with a hammer by someone as strong as himself. It should be so that the guy Thor's fighting could be killed.

That's what I never understood about JLA v.s. The Avengers. When Superman and Thor 1st meet, Superman threw his hammer full force at Superman. It busted Superman a little. I was wondering how did Thor know that Superman could take a hammer blow. For all he knew Superman had the strength of Spiderman and would have been killed when the Hammer hit him.

Oh and Thor beats Grundy.

Bada's Palin
Thor's strong, but he's not physically on par with Superman and a super enraged Hulk.

Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
That's what I never understood about JLA v.s. The Avengers. When Superman and Thor 1st meet, Superman threw his hammer full force at Superman. It busted Superman a little. I was wondering how did Thor know that Superman could take a hammer blow. For all he knew Superman had the strength of Spiderman and would have been killed when the Hammer hit him.

Oh and Thor beats Grundy.

That happened when Thor threw his hammer against Air Walker (who turned out to be an android) the hammer went straight through him.

vansonbee
Thor wins

This version of Thor doesn't have WM included lolz

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Bada's Palin
Thor's strong, but he's not physically on par with Superman and a super enraged Hulk.

That happened when Thor threw his hammer against Air Walker (who turned out to be an android) the hammer went straight through him.

I think I remember that. Didn't Thor think he had killed Air Walker.

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
I think I remember that. Didn't Thor think he had killed Air Walker.

He kind of did, but Air Walker wasn't technically alive at the time.

namorsubby
peak version grundy is simply not going down.

grundy FTW

Silent Guardian
Thor wins

namorsubby
how could he win?..........unless of course he had a magical spell to bind grundy to his swamp.

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by namorsubby
how could he win?..........unless of course he had a magical spell to bind grundy to his swamp.

Or he could kill him.

namorsubby
lol,the JLA couldn't do squat to him.......he's not killin anybody.

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by namorsubby
lol,the JLA couldn't do squat to him.......he's not killin anybody.

Sure he is.

He can just decompose Grundy, absorb him or something. Grundy can't touch Thor once he flies up.

Knowsbleed33
What do you all think Thor is going to be able to do that Superman some GL's and the rest of the JLA couldn't?

psycho gundam
What do you all think Thor is going to be able to do that Superman some GL's and the rest of the JLA couldn't? that same thing he did to mangog.

Knowsbleed33
Originally posted by psycho gundam
that same thing he did to mangog.

Yeah, cause he's done that against every brick he's faced.

Bada's Palin
What do you all think Thor is going to be able to do that Superman some GL's and the rest of the JLA couldn't?

First of all, please provide me with some scans and some me some examples of Grundy being COMPLETELY invulnerable. I'd like to see this incident where he takes out the entire JLA roster and supposedly shrugs off attacks from Superman and several Green Lanterns.

Second, Thor can do all sorts of things with his hammer. Despite what he does in most encounter it can perform several various magical feats, such as healing him, transmuting matter and so on. If I'm not mistaken he even shrunk Hyperion once. Do not underestimate the nature of Thor's abilities.

Third, Thor can simply launch all sorts of ranged attacks at Grundy. He could hit him with the good ol' Durok hammer, anti-matter blast, absorb his life force, etc.

batdude123
First of all, please provide me with some scans and some me some examples of Grundy being COMPLETELY invulnerable. I'd like to see this incident where he takes out the entire JLA roster and supposedly shrugs off attacks from Superman and several Green Lanterns.

Second, Thor can do all sorts of things with his hammer. Despite what he does in most encounter it can perform several various magical feats, such as healing him, transmuting matter and so on. If I'm not mistaken he even shrunk Hyperion once. Do not underestimate the nature of Thor's abilities.

Third, Thor can simply launch all sorts of ranged attacks at Grundy. He could hit him with the good ol' Durok hammer, anti-matter blast, absorb his life force, etc.

But he won't. CIS.

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by batdude123
But he won't. CIS.

Really? I've seen him fly and use ranged attacks.

batdude123
Really? I've seen him fly and use ranged attacks.

He isn't going to absorb Grundy's life force... I'm not even sure if Grundy has a life force.

Galan007
Meh, 'classic' Grundy used to own pre-crisis Superman, like he was a weak feeb:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1047354_sg00.jpg http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1047355_sg0.jpg http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1047356_sg1.jpg

----

He was also fast enough to easily strike Flash, whom was throwing a million punches per second:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1047357_sg2.jpg

And those are just a few, of the many.

Bada's Palin

batdude123
Thor can do it, he's done it before. Grundy looks pretty "undead" though, so I guess it wouldn't work very well on him.

And Superman uses T-Vo ftw!!!1

Galan007

batdude123
Originally posted by Galan007
Did you notice that all it took was one punch from Grundy, to totally incapacitate Supes?

... Who had a crippling weakness to magic in that era.

Galan007
... Who had a crippling weakness to magic in that era. Minor details...

batdude123
haw-som

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by Galan007
Did you notice that all it took was one punch from Grundy, to totally incapacitate Supes?

Yes, like I said his strength was very impressive. Don't you think it's odd that a punch which was able to knock out Superman, didn't kill Jay Garrick?

I think PC comics are horribly inconsistent.

... Who had a crippling weakness to magic in that era.

Galan, you arsehole.

Leobama
Somebody has to tell me more about grundy. Where does he get his power? I can't find a bio or respect thread on him, so really without info he just seems like a duplicate of the Hulk. I'm sure that dc fans will say he's stronger, but how would one tell?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.