Should there be exclusives?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kennedyward
Well exclusives had been overatted for quite a while now. I'm starting to give up seeing the point in this.

Zack Fair
No.

Bardock42
If the people making the exclusives want that, I guess so. I don't really see the point, though.

Nactous
Yes.

Neo Darkhalen
I fail to see the point, but well developers enter contracts, they have to do the best to make the most money, personally i would like to see multi platform releases, but there always has to be exclusive games to draw people to specific consoles.

Nactous
NO exclusives you might as well have one console...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Nactous
NO exclusives you might as well have one console... Not really, then the Console producers would actually have to work to get their customers. And the consoles would get cheaper and better.

Nactous
Originally posted by Bardock42
would get cheaper and better.
That's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

General Kaliero
Exclusives are a good deal for console makers. A genuinely good game generates interest in their console if the game will only be available there. Really, the only time exclusivity is detrimental is when the game fails to reach the numble of expected sales.

But going cross-platform costs extra in money and man-hours, so you have to be sure the other platform will generate the sales to negate those losses. Not to mention developers usually get a certain amount extra for the exclusivity deal.

It all comes down to what makes the gamemakers more money.

Bardock42
That's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

Then you probably don't understand even the most basic concepts of economics.

Nactous
No, im afraid you don't. Nothing good can be cheap my friend.

Bardock42
No, im afraid you don't. Nothing good can be cheap my friend.

That's quite nonsensical. As "good", as well as "cheap", are subjective.

Alpha Centauri
Exclusives serve only to continue this mythical and ever-retarded idea that loyalty to a company is necessary.

-AC

Smasandian
Exclusives are only useful for settling "my console can beat up your console"

If anybody likes games, every game should go multiplatform.

General Kaliero
I think many are missing a point here.

Exclusives are not for the benefit of the players. The deals are entirely concerning the game developers and the console makers. If a console company determines that a particular game (or particular studio) will move consoles, they may seek an exclusivity deal to make sure it moves only their consoles. If a game studio decides the terms and/or profits of the exclusivity deal will outweigh the possible losses from other consoles, they may agree to such a deal.

It's not about the gamers. It's about profit.

Bardock42
Originally posted by General Kaliero

Exclusives are not for the benefit of the players. The deals are entirely concerning the game developers and the console makers. If a console company determines that a particular game (or particular studio) will move consoles, they may seek an exclusivity deal to make sure it moves only their consoles. If a game studio decides the terms and/or profits of the exclusivity deal will outweigh the possible losses from other consoles, they may agree to such a deal.

I think it is clear to everyone that it is about money, after all, most things are. I think the question is more whether it even makes financial sense, in the present time. I'd also say that pressure from the console manufacturers might play a big part in the existence of exclusives. Of course the question is also how much more it costs to produce for a different console and how much more money the game would make if it was on two consoles. On the other hand, just looking at it as a layman, I'd assume that with Console Sales relatively evenly split (as opposed to last generation), any successful game, would likely profit more if they would go multiplatform, but, maybe, the risk involved is what puts them off.

Finally, there's also the view of some consumers that exclusives are for some reason a good thing, which I can't quite explain to myself except with the assumption that it is a misguided pride in one console over another, likely, because you happen to own it.

Smasandian

The question that was asked wasn't if exclusives are good or not in regards with consoles makers, but if there should be exclusives.

The only way I can answer that as a gamer and as a gamer, I cant think of any good reason for exclusive games. As a developer, it makes sense to have their game go on multiple platforms. It increases profits. As a console maker, I would think its bad because they would have make one kick ass platform to persuade other people to buy it.

NENF3P
Originally posted by Zack Fair
No. Ditto.

@stroFan
I dont really care, so long as all the quick shitty cash in games remain exclusive to Wii. stick out tongue

Zack Fair
Originally posted by @stroFan
I dont really care, so long as all the quick shitty cash in games remain exclusive to Wii. stick out tongue

Amen!

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by @stroFan

Nintendo has upset me there. The wii is a good console, but the vast majority of the games are crap...

To tell the truth... I could see a game like this coming out for the wii some day.

diTfizU0kkc

Morridini
Ooh, a must buy!

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
Nintendo has upset me there. The wii is a good console, but the vast majority of the games are crap...

To tell the truth... I could see a game like this coming out for the wii some day.

diTfizU0kkc

To me, that's not necessarily any more boring than Grand Theft Auto, for example.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
To me, that's not necessarily any more boring than Grand Theft Auto, for example.

-AC Your taste in games seems questionable, to me.

NonSensi-Klown
LTvUFTMgBpc

jaden101
exclusivity creates that most hated of things...the dreaded fanboy

Wei Phoenix
From a consumer's viewpoint, then no.

From a business viewpoint, then yes.

Exclusives build competition and stuff like that. I'm a 360 guy and I'm glad that they get the most and better exclusives, but at the end of the day there are some PS games that I wish I had and I love it when they lose their exclusives so I guess I'm all for non exclusives.

@stroFan

diTfizU0kkc

The Best Buy I go to has a line of about 10 clearance boxes leading up to the registers, all filled with 10-20 dollar Wii crap. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I waited in the cold for 4 hours when the Wii came out, now it just collects dust. sad

NonSensi-Klown
Same here.

It's library really is constipated with shit. I suppose that if they had more games that were actually good I wouldn't mind all the crap... but the crap makes up around 99.9%of it's game library.

jaden101
the wii isn't meant for the kind of gamer who plays halo, CoD, resi etc....face it...it's designed for non gamers and people wanting something fun to do at parties when they're drunk (although me and my mates normally just go for rockband or guitar hero)

i think it'll go more application based stuff than traditional games...stuff like wii fit and brain training etc

stuff that you just don't get on other consoles...and stuff that is appealing to a different demographic

nintendo must be doing something right with their brain training type aps because i even had my 58 year old mother asking for a DS lite for christmas

this is quite funny though...the typical "gamer"'s view of the wii games

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/01/the_onion_wii_platinum.jpg

Alpha Centauri
As I said before, "Hardcore gamers" aren't defined by the kind of game they play, but by their passion for games in general.

People who think they're hardcore gamers because they play Grand Theft Auto, spend copious amounts of time on Halo online, or do nothing but play games with "realistic" graphics are not necessarily any more hardcore than Nintendo fans.

Your taste in games seems questionable, to me.

If you like Grand Theft Auto, then likewise.

-AC

Bardock42

If you like Grand Theft Auto, then likewise.

-AC

Haha, fair enough. Though, the GTA series seems to, factually, offer more than Super Gardener 3...but, you know, tastes are like assholes, or something along those lines.

Zack Fair

diTfizU0kkc

Post made of win

Smasandian
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
From a consumer's viewpoint, then no.

From a business viewpoint, then yes.

Exclusives build competition and stuff like that. I'm a 360 guy and I'm glad that they get the most and better exclusives, but at the end of the day there are some PS games that I wish I had and I love it when they lose their exclusives so I guess I'm all for non exclusives.

I don't think exclusives build competition at all. As were seeing MS do by buying all the good games up, its decreasing competition.

With no exclusive rights, its starts console makers creating consoles that will sell based on what the console does and not the games. This creates competition and provides better product. If there was no exclusives at all, who would buy a 360 over a PS3 knowing the RROD issues?

To an extent, it will lessen the amount of shitty games to a small degree.

No exclusives could be a great thing for gamers.

occultdestroyer
Yes.
And I piss on Final Fantasy for going multi-platform.

**** that!!

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Yes.
And I piss on Final Fantasy for going multi-platform.

**** that!!

Oh get over it, don't forget FF was on Nintendo first and still holds the most exclusive FF games in that regard compared to the Playstation, simple fact Square realised it would be in there best interests to port it to the 360, I honestly don't get the big deal and why so many FF fans are crying over it, it's not like there going to destroy there repetitive FF games by trying something new for XIII and making it "worse."

Wil7

Absolutly. I have no problem with the wii, but almost every game sucks, and the graphics for the system suck, so there is a problem the wii has.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Oh get over it, don't forget FF was on Nintendo first and still holds the most exclusive FF games in that regard compared to the Playstation, simple fact Square realised it would be in there best interests to port it to the 360, I honestly don't get the big deal and why so many FF fans are crying over it, it's not like there going to destroy there repetitive FF games by trying something new for XIII and making it "worse."
No. It's just that they had no idea what impact that move had to Sony's PS3 platform.

No exclusives = no competition.
No competition = less consumer choices

Bardock42
No. It's just that they had no idea what impact that move had to Sony's PS3 platform.

No competition = less consumer choices That is incorrect.

No exclusives = more competition about price, performance, additions
More competition on price, performance, etc. = lucky consumers.

Exclusives = Competition on which games the console acquires
Competition about games = consumers losing out at the other end

General Kaliero

This is really silly, since exclusives do undermine the concept of direct competition. Consoles can't compete over an exclusive game, because by definition only one console has it.

Further, exclusives also remove consumer choice, since there is no choice: You either play this game on this console, or you don't play it at all.

The simple fact is that consumers should want as many games as possible to be multiplatform, because it allows more people to play the game, makes more games available on your choice of platform, and causes console developers to make games more attractive on their console in various ways, be it price, performance, or additional material.

Inversely, the industry should be in favor of exclusives, because it denies their direct competition revenue and increases their own.

Consumers who personally support exclusives are doing so out of brand loyalty (a silly concept in itself, as the gamer's focus should be, well, games).

Nemesis X
I have both a 360 and PS3 and never gave a crap what system a game was on (until games like SSBB and Mario&Sonic at the Olympics became a Wii exclusive).

occultdestroyer
This is really silly, since exclusives do undermine the concept of direct competition. Consoles can't compete over an exclusive game, because by definition only one console has it.

Further, exclusives also remove consumer choice, since there is no choice: You either play this game on this console, or you don't play it at all.

The simple fact is that consumers should want as many games as possible to be multiplatform, because it allows more people to play the game, makes more games available on your choice of platform, and causes console developers to make games more attractive on their console in various ways, be it price, performance, or additional material.

Inversely, the industry should be in favor of exclusives, because it denies their direct competition revenue and increases their own.

Consumers who personally support exclusives are doing so out of brand loyalty (a silly concept in itself, as the gamer's focus should be, well, games).
I disagree.

Exclusives promote competition between the consoles.
This way, consumers will have to make a personal decision on what console they should purchase, according to their own preferences.

Also, making exclusives will help make the rival console company to produce better exclusives. So all is well in the business aspect of gaming.

Alpha Centauri

Sony should learn from this, then, and not make a shit, overhyped console next time.

Stop crying about it.

-AC

Bardock42
I disagree.

This way, consumers will have to make a personal decision on what console they should purchase, according to their own preferences.

Also, making exclusives will help make the rival console company to produce better exclusives. So all is well in the business aspect of gaming. You seem to misunderstand the concept.

occultdestroyer
Sony should learn from this, then, and not make a shit, overhyped console next time.

Stop crying about it.

-AC
Nah, I don't really care. I have a PS3 and a 360 stick out tongue

But what I think is that Microsoft is monopolizing the gaming console market right now.
Nintendo and Sony have less exclusives to brag about.
And now that the FF is going multi-platform, that could signal a turning point for PS3 sales.
I just don't like these one-sided deals that Microsoft has been getting lately.

Bardock42
I don't understand...you say you are for exclusives...just not if it is Microsoft exclusives?

General Kaliero
I disagree.

Also, making exclusives will help make the rival console company to produce better exclusives. So all is well in the business aspect of gaming.
Competition between consoles is only a small part of competition on the whole. Once a console is bought, it's bought. The important part of sales is game units, not console units. If game units are only available on a specific console, that creates a monopoly, which is the opposite of competition.

Producing "better exclusives" is more costly in time, money, and effort, than having a game available on both consoles. A new game is always a higher wager than adapting an existing game, and if it turns out to be a loss that's bad for business.

Which is, of course, what the console developers want, but it's bad for the industry as a whole and, by extention, the consumers.

occultdestroyer
I don't understand...you say you are for exclusives...just not if it is Microsoft exclusives?
I think you misunderstood what I stated.

I am pro-exclusives, but there should be a moderate amount of distribution between these exclusive games by the consoles.
People will have to decide which console/s they should purchase if they intend to play a certain game.

Well, for some unknown reason, Microsoft has been porting games from the Wii and PS3 into their system. And that seems a bit fishy to me.

Bardock42

I am pro-exclusives, but there should be a moderate amount of distribution between these exclusive games by the consoles.
People will have to decide which console/s they should purchase if they intend to play a certain game.

Well, for some unknown reason, Microsoft has been porting games from the Wii and PS3 into their system. And that seems a bit fishy to me.

Why does that seem fishy to you?

General Kaliero

...What was the last game ported from the Wii to the 360? The only one I can think of is Rayman Raving Rabbids, which was ported to the PS2 and PC as well, and was intented to have PSP and PS3 ports that were later cancelled.

Smasandian
Well, the idea behind exclusives is whoever has the most amount of money, and who wants to spend, generally will the get majority of the games. You can't moderate it all.

MS has been ported games from the PS3 because they can afford to pay the publishers to get those games. Nothing is fishy about it. Money usually beats anything when it comes to publishers and developers.

Only a few developers remain when it comes down to exclusives if money isn't involved. Look at Konami with MGS4, the crazy developer of that game clearly states he doesn't want it on the 360 because of this crazed notation that it can't handle it and will disrupt the art of the game. Well, the execs on the other hand say that the game cost of fortune to make, PS3 consumer base is small and 360 looks like a viable option to make a boatload of cash.

And really, what games have been ported from the Wii to 360?

Alpha Centauri
Let's think about it.

If PS3 said "We've got Gears of War 2", Occult wouldn't say a thing. It's probably due to some affinity with Sony.

-AC

Nemesis X
This exclusive stuff is a pile of horsecrap. I'm still on Capcom's case about them moving Monster Hunter 3 from the PS3 to the Wii. A holes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.