gran torino

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

super pr*xy
anybody else intrigued by this movie? trailer looks good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuJjTyEnKFA

BruceSkywalker
I've seen this.

Clint Eastwood give one helluva great performance

He should get nominated

super pr*xy
when is this movie getting a wide release? i wewnt to th movies on friday and it wasn't playing...

=Tired Hiker=
I can't wait to see this. I hear it's very un-PC. I hope this movie will piss Spike Lee off again.

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I can't wait to see this. I hear it's very un-PC. I hope this movie will piss Spike Lee off again.

Didn't know that, now I really want to watch it. Will try to download first though.

MaryPoppins
can't wait to see this one.

Mr Parker
cant turn down a Clint Eastwood movie.

ragesRemorse
Due to such an amateur supporting cast, Eastwood is forced to carry the entire movie on his back. I appreciate the fact that so many first time actors were given the opportunity to work in a mainline movie like this but with a few changes in the writing and characters (most notably, the gangsters) this movie could have been great. Sadly, for me, this movie was one step away from being a bad made for tv movie. I would, however, recommend it for Eastwoods performance because he does give a memorable one. My other criticism is that i would have liked to see the Gran Torino play a more significant role in the story. Unless your like me and love Eastwood, i would suggest waiting for dvd.

BackFire
I thought aside from the weak supporting cast the movie was purely top notch. Great directing, strong writing and Eastwood gave an incredibly powerful performance.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
I thought aside from the weak supporting cast the movie was purely top notch. Great directing, strong writing and Eastwood gave an incredibly powerful performance.

Agree. Though I did feel it started out a lot stronger than it ended. Still worth the watch.

BackFire
I thought that too. The end was a bit derivative. But still solid.

moviefanatic04
Tried to go see it on Christmas but it was a zoo. is it worth while??

WrathfulDwarf
I was told to wait for the DVD. It really isn't a high caliber Eastwood movie.

Robtard
He uses an M-1 Garand in the movie; it's .30 rounds are fairly high caliber.

Darth Vicious
Eastwood's performance was awesome. Too bad the same cant be same for the rest of the cast. I didnt like the ending too much.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I was told to wait for the DVD. It really isn't a high caliber Eastwood movie.

You know i would have highly disagreed with that statement hadn't Eastwood ended the movie with himself singing a song sick

lol, considering everything it really is a well made movie. I wasn't to impressed with the film but i acknowledge the first time cast that Eastwood went with as well as the short amount of time he had on the movie. It's just a small movie that i believe never intended to do to much and because of Eastwoods performance, maybe accomplished a little more than it should have.

SnakeEyes
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t495706.html

fruits
Am I the only one who thinks this looks kind of horrible? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but a movie about a grumpy old racist doesn't seem that appealing to me. Also I don't like Clint Eastwood very much as an actor in his more recent films.

Altar[1stONE]
Pure vintage eastwood, the funniest film of 2008 , for me at least

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by fruits
Am I the only one who thinks this looks kind of horrible? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but a movie about a grumpy old racist doesn't seem that appealing to me. Also I don't like Clint Eastwood very much as an actor in his more recent films.

you sound like a girl

fruits
Ha, how does that make me sound like a girl? Is it part of some man code I'm unaware of that grumpy old racists = awesome?

ragesRemorse
basically, yeah wink

Besides, It's Clint Eastwood and his racial slurs aren't used to insult people. It is really just a way of speaking. Kind of like how people curse at other cars on the road or the way you insult your friends in good fun.

super pr*xy
i never thought eastwood's character was racist. he was just old, old, old school. he talks as if every one was his barber. awesome movie. clint eastwood is and will always be the shiz-nite.. except for space cowboys..

moviefanatic04
just saw it............pretty disappointed

ratedjw
i thought this movie was hella funny tho.... it had me lmao.....especially the racial slurs....

Mairuzu
Loved this movie, I'd see it again, it was hilarious.

fruits
Finally saw it, and did not like it. Didn't hate it, but i wouldn't call it good. I was half joking when I said it looks like it's just about a grumpy old man being racist...but that really is what the whole movie is about. A few of the racial slurs were funny just in the way they were presented, but I was amazed at how many people laughed at all of them...like being racist is funny or something.

I think Clint Eastwood should just stick to directing. Get somebody else to act, sing a song, and write a score.

Mairuzu
It would be a depressing world if we couldn't just sit back and laugh about some things. Its a movie.

fruits
Trust me, I have a very strong appreciation for comedy and laughing at things, I just think in this movie some stuff was meant to be funny and other stuff wasn't. When Clint pulls out a gun and tells that black gang to shut their ****ing mouths, I'm not sure if that's a moment that's really meant to be laughed at, as some people sitting by me in the theatre did.

Mairuzu
I was laughing because he was serious hahahahha

jinXed by JaNx
Maybe they just have a different sense of humor. I know that i laugh at serious moments in movies. It is kind of a funny situation. A gang of thugs being out manned by a old white man, yeah dude, thats kind of funny.

Mairuzu
WHY DIDNT YOU ASK YUM YUM OUT ON A DATE!? hahahahah

FistOfThe North
Just finished watching GT. I liked it. I wanted to watch it in theatres but my friend had a (good quality) bootleg copy so I saw it at home.

I liked the film cause it genuinly extracted some emotion from me more than any movie I remembered doing so recently. I kinda said "wow" after that chick, his sister, came back the way she did after the drive by. I felt true hatred for those cowardly thugs, felt real good with what ended up happening though I wanted worse for them, and real bad for what happened with eastwoods situation. loved what ended up happening with the turino.

Clint's wit and charm (and sometimes the lack of it, his charm meaning) were excellent. the rest of the cast would've been completely bland but clint's involvement with them made them more interesting.

Although I did find it a good watch, I don't see it as an oscar caliber movie but I can see clint himself as an actor getting a best actor nod for his performace in it at the Oscars.

And his Johnny Cashesque solo act caught me by surprise at the end there.

But otherwise a good movie. I highly recommend it. You won't come outta this one dissapointed.

8/10

Mr Parker
I just saw this movie over the weekend.Great flick and great story.I got to say this I think this is one of Clint Eastwoods best movies of all time.One of my top 5 favorites.Definetely his funniest movie ever. laughing It had a lot of great humor in it and of course Clint was just masterful and making the lines funny. big grin thumb up thumb up

Howard Beale
an enjoyable flick with Eastwood giving a very entertaining performance, however his young costars provide no support and bring the film down (especially the boy who does a terrible job with the "I'm a tough guy now" routine.) The writing is also overly blunt and rather cliched with only moderate successful depictions of average life. The climax was pretty powerful, if predictable though.
6.5/10

SnakeEyes
I've been talking/thinking about this movie more lately and I think it's safe for me to say that it wasn't good. There were some good elements, but overall, this was a mediocre film. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of positive critical/moviegoer response. I think a lot of the moviegoers simply liked this film because they enjoyed the racial slurs; the theater that I was in was full of people laughing at each time Clint would say "zipperhead" or "gook." I think this was one of the film's flaws, the audience was unsure about what dialogue was meant to be humorous and what wasn't, so they just laughed at everything, ultimately making the "message" at the end of the film (which was clearly supposed to be powerful) much less meaningful. I had an alright time seeing this because I saw it with my father and the movie wasn't terrible, but in my opinion it's the most overrated film of 2008, hands down (it has a 77% on rottentomatoes and it's already on imdb's top 250). And yes, the script was pretty damn bad at times, as was the supporting cast. Clint's acting was decent, nothing award-worthy; his direction was adequate as well. This is an average film laced with both powerful dramatic moments and cringe-worthy bad moments. Certainly not deserving of its praise.

HammyTyme
Im not one of those that things this was a good movie. Sucks that this was Eastwoods last acting role.

Mr Parker
was it really? is that what he said? well they all got to retire sometime.Sean connery retired a few years ago.Now its Eastwoods turn.We'll at least he went out with a big bang this is his last movie cause it was a great one.

Howard Beale
No one has confirmed this is Eastwood's final performance that has only been rumored. In addition he will stay behind the camera till he dies, even if he never acts again. And frankly that is sort of where he belongs anyway, I like his acting but he's a fantastic director, although the direction here was very weak and lazy.

Howard Beale
Originally posted by fruits
Finally saw it, and did not like it. Didn't hate it, but i wouldn't call it good. I was half joking when I said it looks like it's just about a grumpy old man being racist...but that really is what the whole movie is about. A few of the racial slurs were funny just in the way they were presented, but I was amazed at how many people laughed at all of them...like being racist is funny or something.

I think Clint Eastwood should just stick to directing. Get somebody else to act, sing a song, and write a score.

A lot of friends have been talking about how hilarious all of his racism is and I just wanted to grab a giant stamp and print YOUR IGNORANT on their heads. I mean there are parts of this film that are truly funny, especially as he develops a re-pore with the asian's and his comments are actually jokes. But overall a lot of it is just mean and not funny in the slightest. Sometimes its' actually just rude, not that I mind personally I'm just saying.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Howard Beale
No one has confirmed this is Eastwood's final performance that has only been rumored. In addition he will stay behind the camera till he dies, even if he never acts again. And frankly that is sort of where he belongs anyway, I like his acting but he's a fantastic director, although the direction here was very weak and lazy.

I totally disagree that his direction was waek and lazy in this film.

Howard Beale
Okay, clarify what was good about his direction in this movie?
The camera work was okay but not as spectacular as other movies he's done (mystic river, million dollar baby) but more importantly the interactions were awkward, the chemistry was non-existent and the relations of charcters was not illustrated like it is in other films. Normally Eastwood is a master at making actors display chemistry and using the camera to illustrate the story, meaning, and relationships, but I saw none of that here.

H. S. 6
A lot of friends have been talking about how hilarious all of his racism is and I just wanted to grab a giant stamp and print YOUR IGNORANT on their heads. I mean there are parts of this film that are truly funny, especially as he develops a re-pore with the asian's and his comments are actually jokes. But overall a lot of it is just mean and not funny in the slightest. Sometimes its' actually just rude, not that I mind personally I'm just saying.

It's a good thing you don't decide what's funny, then.

Rogue Jedi
Just saw this, rental, LOVED it.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by H. S. 6
It's a good thing you don't decide what's funny, then.

amen to that.

darthmaul1

Umm yes it is meant to be funny, it is a dark scense of humor. At first i thought it was a little racist but once i heard him talk to his barber then i was Oh, that is the way he talks to everyone. Also he doesn't care what other people think, he has old school values to have the up most respect for your elders, and that is why he wasn't happy with his family, but the asian family next door showed true spirit and respect, so that is why he liked them and that is why the kid got the car and not the snotty granddaughter.

The Nuul
Saw it, loved it and yes it's funny.

jaden101
A lot of friends have been talking about how hilarious all of his racism is and I just wanted to grab a giant stamp and print YOUR IGNORANT on their heads.

Can't believe I missed this when it was written. Thanks for giving me my 1st laugh of the day though. Nothing like a giant contradiction to make me chuckle.

Clearly missed the entire point of the film. Eastwood's character isn't meant to have chemistry with anyone. He's supposed to be the most abrasive and unlikable person you can imagine. Hence he doesn't even relate to his own family.

Myth
I loved the film. Absolutely hilarious, plus some good drama. I loved the development of Eastwood throughout the film and battling with his demons and racism that carried over with him from Vietnam.

MildPossession
I'm confused. Was it Eastwood's vocals for the actual film credits ending song then, because Jamie Callum(whatever his name) sings it too and is on the performing credits for the soundtrack...

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm confused. Was it Eastwood's vocals for the actual film credits ending song then, because Jamie Callum(whatever his name) sings it too and is on the performing credits for the soundtrack...

They cowrote it with 2 other people. You can get both versions...One with the 1st verse that Eastwood sings and the shorter version with just Cullum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXF7U5TYV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLc43YuuTw&feature=related

that's the 2 versions

MildPossession
Ahhhh, chaars.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Myth
I loved the film. Absolutely hilarious, plus some good drama. I loved the development of Eastwood throughout the film and battling with his demons and racism that carried over with him from Vietnam.

He was in the Korean war not Vietnam, and i loved this movie it was great.

Rogue Jedi
They shoulda had him bustin caps in the end.

SnakeEyes
I still maintain that this movie wasn't good and am continually surprised that people love it.

jaden101
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I still maintain that this movie wasn't good and am continually surprised that people love it.

Down to personal taste really. It's never going to appeal to everyone.

Mr Parker

well you must not have that good of a sense of humor then cause thats what made it so fun to watch was it was hilarious.me and my coworkers at work who went and saw it were rolling in the seats with laughter.

K.Diddy

confused What did you not like about it?

jinXed by JaNx
Recently watched this again and man, the supporting cast almost ruin this movie. With that said this movie made me like the Clint even more. Although, Invictus made me like him a bit less but whatever.

Darth Martin
I thought the film was hilarious with all of the racial slants and jokes. I liked the movie.

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I thought the film was hilarious with all of the racial slants and jokes. I liked the movie.

His racial slurs are just his way of keeping everyone at bay around him; he doesn't even like his own family much, or his late wife's priest.
He goes only as far as the front of his lawn, then the world can do what they want. Him growing to like and care about his Asian neighbours, isn't so much about him being less racist than letting someone past his stubborn armour.

I thought he shouldn't have acted again after Million Dollar Baby; that would have been a perfect exit for him. But I think he acted in this film to do something he's never done before: get killed on screen, when he chooses not to even carry a gun. That's something John Wayne didn't do until the end of his career as well.

jinXed by JaNx
I think he was trying to show the contrast between generations. People in and from his era measured people more by their actions rather than their words. His character and personality is from a time where political correctness and mass integration was not as familiar and forced as it is today. I got the impression that he lived during a time where the area that people lived was determined by nationality and heritage. Even though he had become a cynical bitter man his predjudism wasn't entirely negative but rather more observatory. Sure, his experience in war may have instilled racism in him but it wasn't to the point where it was irrational blind hate. He never used racial slurs to hurt people. It was just how he referred to people.

A lot of people today throw around racial slurs like he did in the movie and even though the slurs aren't used to express hate or intended to hurt, most of these people are stigmatized as racist backwards thinkers due to political correctness. Either way, it seems very obvious to me that his predjudist nature came from a different time and the slurs he used weren't used as a vehicle of hate.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.