2008 Academy Awards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
I'm just going to go ahead and start this topic now, so we have a place to discuss the upcoming Oscars now up until they're actually awarded. I, like many of you, find myself bewildered/upset at some of the Academy's decisions aka I'm not really a fan of the Academy Awards, but I still find them interesting.

Anyway, it was revealed that Hugh Jackman will be hosting this year: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/12/wtf-hugh-jackman-hosting-the-academy-awards/#comments

Thoughts?

Who do you think will be nominated for the numerous categories? Who will win? Who will get left out altogether? Discuss.

jaden101

MildPossession
OMGGGGGGGGGGG a travel mug!!

Kristen Scott Thomas better get a nomination. I can never remember her name properly, that is it I think lol. Josh Brolin for Bush too, the transformation, now that is acting.

Plutonic_Hat90
The Academy Awards have been getting kind of annoying lately. I love how last year the best special effects went to fvcking The Golden Compass instead of Transformers.

And if the Academy Awards are anything like the Golden Globes this year (AKA, the Dark Knight only has one nomination) than something is seriously, seriously wrong.

Impediment
I give less than a shit about the Oscars, Golden Globes, or any other meaningless "award" ceremony.

BackFire
I'll only care if Wall-E gets nominated for best picture. Otherwise it will just prove that the awards are once more a joke.

Master Crimzon
... as much as it deserves to, I doubt Wall-e will get nominated.

In the 'hugely popular summer movie' category, TDK will be nominated- because it made more money and is more popular than Wall-e (IMO, it's a better movie, but I can definitely see why people will find Wall-e to be better...). Plus, it's 'adult' and 'dark', which will weaken down the Academy's wall of snobbery and make it easier for them to nominate a 'superhero movie'. And it will make their ratings WAY higher.

Neither will win, though. I predict either Slumdog or Benjamin Button will win best picture.

MildPossession
Wall.E will obviously win for the Best Animation Oscar... so it will win something at least, it should win if up against the ones in the Golden Globes.

Master Crimzon
Who honestly cares about that Oscar? I don't think even the voters care that much...

MildPossession
The people who made the film, cares to them. It's better than bloody nothing.

Master Crimzon
Yeah, but to a film like Wall-e, it's almost an insult to get stuck in the conventional 'best animated' category. Besides, is there honestly any question Wall-e will win that award? It just deserves... more recognition, y'know?

BlazingBarrells
Hugh Jackman is a sexy mother f***er. I'm in.

BackFire
Best animated picture is a given for Wall-E. It should go up for best picture of the year, it deserves to at least be nominated.

Bardock42
Originally posted by MildPossession
The people who made the film, cares to them. It's better than bloody nothing. Yeah, just that most people getting an oscar don't get "bloody nothing" but rather "a shitload of ****ing cash".

MildPossession
Well yes that as well...

moviefanatic04
the dark knight will definitely get some awards

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I'm just going to go ahead and start this topic now, so we have a place to discuss the upcoming Oscars now up until they're actually awarded. I, like many of you, find myself bewildered/upset at some of the Academy's decisions aka I'm not really a fan of the Academy Awards, but I still find them interesting.

Anyway, it was revealed that Hugh Jackman will be hosting this year: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/12/wtf-hugh-jackman-hosting-the-academy-awards/#comments

Thoughts?

Who do you think will be nominated for the numerous categories? Who will win? Who will get left out altogether? Discuss.

Hugh might be a great host, he does have a singing background and he was on Broadway, so they could go big with him and do some very dynamic stage sequences that wouldn't be possible with Billy Crystal or John Stewart.

Just curious, Snake Eyes. How many of the movies that are nominated have you actually seen?

playa1258
Milk will probaly win best picture. Penn is the golden boy of the academy, plus he plays a character that deepthroats other guys. Milk is the favorite. Its the kind of liberal trash the academy likes.

SnakeEyes
Not many, unfortunately. The majority of them haven't been released in theaters yet (at least wide-release), but when they are, I plan on seeing: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road and Synecdoche, New York. There are some that I have no interest seeing, such as: Doubt, Frost/Nixon, The Reader. Others I'm content waiting until the DVD release: Milk, Changeling, etc.

But of course the Academy nominations haven't been announced yet, so we'll have to wait and see what the roster is.

=Tired Hiker=
But of course the Academy nominations haven't been announced yet, so we'll have to wait and see what the roster is.

I meant the obvious contenders of course. This year I don't think I'll have the time to see to many, so I probably won't appreciate the choices. But we'll see.

Impediment
Originally posted by moviefanatic04
the dark knight will definitely get some awards

I agree, but only because of a dead actor.

Master Crimzon
IMO, he would have gotten a nomination if he was a live. Being dead makes the win an absolute lock (and he 100% deserves it).

Overall, I suspect that TDK, Slumdog Millionaire, Revolutionary Road, Milk, and maybe the Wrestler will get a nomination for best picture...

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I meant the obvious contenders of course. This year I don't think I'll have the time to see to many, so I probably won't appreciate the choices. But we'll see.

Same here, probably. wink

I'll definitely go see Benjamin Button though, I have high hopes for that one.

=Tired Hiker=
Same here, probably. wink

I'll definitely go see Benjamin Button though, I have high hopes for that one.

At first I really had no interest in that film, but now that I've seen the recent trailers, it looks really damn good. Kinda has that Forest Gump appeal in a sort of way.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
At first I really had no interest in that film, but now that I've seen the recent trailers, it looks really damn good. Kinda has that Forest Gump appeal in a sort of way.

Funny you should say that; Eric Roth (Forest Gump's screenwriter) also wrote the screenplay for Benjamin Button.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.