Dante's Inferno

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Dante's Inferno is an upcoming third-person action adventure game to be published by ElectronicArts, and developed by EA Redwood Shores. The game is based off from a poem called The Divine Comedy. The game will be released somewhere in 2009, and will be on the PlayStation3, and Xbox360.

THE JLRTENJAC
I wonder if they will make Purgatorio and Paradiso eventually...

ragesRemorse
wow, i like ambition, but adapting Dante's inferno into a 3rd person shooter, well, that just sounds risky. Hopefully it will be more of an action adventure than a concrete 3rd person shooter.

General Kaliero
Do you have a source?

And ragesRemorse, where does it say it's a shooter?

Nemesis X
It's not a shooter and they showed a trailer for Dante's Inferno on the VideoGameAwards.

Raoul
I have no idea how this is going to work at all...

an rpg of some sort?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Raoul
I have no idea how this is going to work at all...

Well the game is being developed by the same people who developed Dead Space so I don't see how they'll screw this one up.

Morridini
Here's the trailer which was released a few days ago:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43685.html

Smasandian
I like it.

A talented developing firm creating a new game even when their first did so well critically, and did alright money wise also.

Raoul
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Well the game is being developed by the same people who developed Dead Space so I don't see how they'll screw this one up.

it's not the company at all that worries me. i love the inferno, i just don't see how it can be adapted easily in to a game...

Nemesis X
it's not the company at all that worries me. i love the inferno, i just don't see how it can be adapted easily in to a game...

Well lets take Beowulf for example. First it was a poem and years later, it turned into a movie and became a success.

Raoul
Well lets take Beowulf for example. First it was a poem and years later, it turned into a movie and became a success.

and the game was shit, imo...

Nemesis X
Do you even understand what I'm trying to say here?

And yes, the Beowulf game was crap but lets get back on topic about Dante. I shouldn't've brought up Beowulf at all.

Raoul
Do you even understand what I'm trying to say here?

And yes, the Beowulf game was crap but lets get back on topic about Dante. I shouldn't've brought up Beowulf at all.

i do understand. the beowulf film was fine. a dante's inferno film would be fine.

games are just a different medium. i'm not saying it can't be done. i just hope it is done right...

Smasandian
I'm pretty sure that the setting is the only thing that the will be taken from Dante's Inferno.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm pretty sure that the setting is the only thing that the will be taken from Dante's Inferno.
Agreed. I doubt they'll have Dante or Virgil actually slaying demons and warding off the damned.

Nemesis X
Uh you'll actually be slaying demons. The trailer did show some guy breaching into Hell and driving some sharp cross into a demons eye socket. Ouch.

I'm sure that they'll be changing some things from the poem so they can make this game a bit more entertaining. For some reason the game almost reminded me of Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

General Kaliero
Uh you'll actually be slaying demons. The trailer did show some guy breaching into Hell and driving some sharp cross into a demons eye socket. Ouch.

I'm sure that they'll be changing some things from the poem so they can make this game a bit more entertaining. For some reason the game almost reminded me of Elder Scrolls Oblivion.
Next time, you could try actually reading what I said and getting a meaning out of it.

Nemesis X
So what Kaliero, were you being sarcastic about there being no demon slayings?

Peach
So what Kaliero, were you being sarcastic about there being no demon slayings?

Err, no, actually he said nothing remotely like there being no demon slayings.

What he said, which is pretty clear, is that it likely will not have Dante or Vergil slaying demons.

There's a world of difference between that and "there's no demon-killing".

Nemesis X
I really have no idea who Dante and Vergil are because I actually never read The Divine Comedy.

General Kaliero
I really have no idea who Dante and Vergil are because I actually never read The Divine Comedy.
Okay, first of all, read at least Inferno.

Second, Dante Alighieri was the author of the Divina Commedia, and central character. The trailer mentioned him by full name.

Vergil was the famous Greek poet, who acted as Dante's guide through Hell.

Smasandian
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Agreed. I doubt they'll have Dante or Virgil actually slaying demons and warding off the damned.

I thought I heard that the Dante will be the main character in the game and the enemies types will be from the book.

I dont know if its true or not, but I thought that was the case. I just dont think it will be a direct adaptation of the book but taking setting and characters from it.

Similiar to most games out there nowadays.

Menetnashté
I read that you'll be playing Dante and you're trying to find that girl from paradiso, beatrice? So if they're including her and Dante I imagine Virgil will at least make an appearance.

BackFire
When's the 120 Days of Sodom game coming out?

Nemesis X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOZRRU_Dyg&feature=channel

Here's the new trailer. Looks awesome.

Nactous
Originally posted by BackFire
When's the 120 Days of Sodom game coming out? laughing laughing laughing

Raoul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOZRRU_Dyg&feature=channel

Here's the new trailer. Looks awesome.

...the hell?

Nemesis X
...the hell?

If by "...The hell?" you mean what's with the ending of the trailer I don't blame you. Made me say the same thing.

Raoul
If by "...The hell?" you mean what's with the ending of the trailer I don't blame you. Made me say the same thing.

i meant the whole thing. just, the entire thing.

they're not just calling this dante's inferno, are they? this is actually supposed to be based on dante's work?

Nemesis X
Great, they said that Dante's Inferno won't be released until 2010. Don't be saying 2009 if you're not so sure EA.

leonheartmm
congratulations EA, you have just raped the greatest work of non english judeo/christianic literature ever. maybe the next game they shud make shud be "the bible" a first person shooter where solomon/job/noah/aron/abraham/ismael/isaac/jacob/joshua/christ/the disciples and micheal take on the world.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by leonheartmm
congratulations EA, you have just raped the greatest work of non english judeo/christianic literature ever. maybe the next game they shud make shud be "the bible" a first person shooter where solomon/job/noah/aron/abraham/ismael/isaac/jacob/joshua/christ/the disciples and micheal take on the world.

Hey, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all...

Nemesis X

....So I take it that you're not happy with this game?

General Kaliero
Considering it looks like derivative Ninja Gaiden/God of War shite... things aren't really looking good, no.

Nemesis X
So you guys are just juding this game from the trailers? Have you seen any gameplay vids? I haven't but I'd like to know if there are any.

leonheartmm
lol, the POINT im not happu about is how the **** you can create an action'platforomer out of DANTE'S decent into hell which is basically an anecdote of philosophy and lityerature made for people to wonder and imagine the scenery. lmao, its like kratos takes on hell, destroying each circle until he finally reaches coccytus and defeats satan who is already trapped there.

I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and god is going like What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k? erm

chidori210

LOL

AverageSavage
shit looks awesome. Even tho it looks like a god of war clone, i have faith in EA Readwood that they'll make a great game. And it has dante fighting demons with deaths schyte, who gives a shit about the source material.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by AverageSavage
shit looks awesome. Even tho it looks like a god of war clone, i have faith in EA Readwood that they'll make a great game. And it has dante fighting demons with deaths schyte, who gives a shit about the source material.
...people with good taste?

leonheartmm
When's the 120 Days of Sodom game coming out?

few get the reference but LMAO. maybe they shud have a CALIGULA game to add to that.

ThunderGodEneru
I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and god is going like What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k? erm You can't even prove God exists, and if he did, I doubt he would give two shits about this game OR about the actual poem.

This game is clearly not meant to be an adaption that will follow the poem to the letter...Because it would be boring.

leonheartmm
^for the love of the DEVIL, its an analogy you idiot! i didnt mean GOD in the real world, i meant the god within la divine comedia mythos. it was supposed to be a JOKE! which u obviously didnt get......

ArtificialGlory

You have faith in EA? I'm not sure if I envy or pity you.

AverageSavage
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
You have faith in EA? I'm not sure if I envy or pity you.

I said EA Redwood. You know, those guys who made Dead Space?

Raoul

Originally posted by General Kaliero
...people with good taste?

XanatosForever
few get the reference but LMAO. maybe they shud have a CALIGULA game to add to that.

There is a CALIGULA game out in the world, y'know...check it out. stick out tongue

AverageSavage

How do you reckon that the Dante's Inferno source material would be turned into a game? :/

The source material is irrelevant here.

Raoul
How do you reckon that the Dante's Inferno source material would be turned into a game? :/

The source material is irrelevant here.

that's sort of the point. it wouldn't be turned in to a game and stay faithful to the source material. it might be a really good game, but sticking the "Dante's Inferno" name on it is a bit silly, imo...

Kris Blaze
that's sort of the point. it wouldn't be turned in to a game and stay faithful to the source material. it might be a really good game, but sticking the "Dante's Inferno" name on it is a bit silly, imo...

That's why we don't judge games solely on the name.

I happen to think it's an awesome name.

leonheartmm
actually, devil may cry was based on dante's inferno. dante, lol, virgil, god, then proceeded to enter the various depths of hell, mirror worlds, etc.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by XanatosForever
There is a CALIGULA game out in the world, y'know...check it out. stick out tongue

**** me...........................................................................holy.......

ThunderGodEneru
actually, devil may cry was based on dante's inferno. dante, lol, virgil, god, then proceeded to enter the various depths of hell, mirror worlds, etc. Difference being DMC has been confirmed to be a crappy game, this may not be.

Raoul
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
That's why we don't judge games solely on the name.

I happen to think it's an awesome name.

it's also an awesome piece of literature.

actually, devil may cry was based on dante's inferno. dante, lol, virgil, god, then proceeded to enter the various depths of hell, mirror worlds, etc.

true, but it never claimed to be directly based on it in as literal a sense as this seems to be...

Kazenji
Trailer and pictures

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/482

XanatosForever
**** me...........................................................................holy.......

Indeed. laughing

icu311
Just got done watching some videos, and I gotta say it looks pretty sweet, like a darker God of War.

Probably not gonna stick to the poem to closely, but as long as its as fun and brutal as it looks right now, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Superherovandal
Why are people making such a big deal about Dante's Inferno not being true to the source material? Do people think God of War accurately portrays Greek myths cause if they do I got news it craps all over greek mythology. I don't see people making a big deal about that! Seriously do you guys honestly expect the publisher to accurately copy a piece of literature?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Why are people making such a big deal about Dante's Inferno not being true to the source material? Do people think God of War accurately portrays Greek myths cause if they do I got news it craps all over greek mythology. I don't see people making a big deal about that! Seriously do you guys honestly expect the publisher to accurately copy a piece of literature?

Dude's right. Why is there is so much complaining about this game not following a poem that's probably crappy?

Ms.Marvel
because everyone wants to be an intellectual.

"people who have good taste" laughing out loud

-Pr-
Dude's right. Why is there is so much complaining about this game not following a poem that's probably crappy?

nice of you to pass judgement on something you haven't even read. it's a masterpiece, frankly.

god of war is different. greek mythology is notoriously violent already, and has already been adapted in to movies, books, comics, games, etc.

it's not the same thing.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
because everyone wants to be an intellectual.

"people who have good taste" laughing out loud There are such things as good taste and bad taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is HP Lovecraft has good taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is, oh, I don't know, Stephanie Meyer has bad taste.

Ms.Marvel
complaining about a game not following certain source material to the letter despite the game makers never saying thats what they were trying to do does not signify good or bad taste. obviously this is only loosely based off of the epic no one has said "this is a realsitic adaptation of dantes epic" so i dont really see what the problem is. why do people care about a company taking something and turning it into something else and how does that relate to taste? the epics arent people they dont care and the author is dead. he doesnt care.

imo it seems more like snobbishness and pseudointellecual ranting than there being an actual problem. im not trying to attack anyone or put anybody down but thats just how i interpret it.

NemeBro
complaining about a game not following certain source material to the letter despite the game makers never saying thats what they were trying to do does not signify good or bad taste. I agree. smile

Just wanted to point that out.

Personally as long as the gameplay is good I am willing to play this game at least as a rental, if it is longer I may buy.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by NemeBro
I agree. smile

youre learning! *cracks whip* stick out tongue

'sho nuff. yes

NemeBro
youre learning! *cracks whip* stick out tongue

'sho nuff. yes Ugh...! Please sir, can I have some more!?

Indeed.

First_Tsurugi06
As far as I'm concerned, developers taking excessive liberties from the source material is really something that should be expected in video games, because God of War isn't the only thing before this game to have done something like that.

There are such things as good taste and bad taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is HP Lovecraft has good taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is, oh, I don't know, Stephanie Meyer has bad taste.

laughing

I like a few of Dean Koontz's books myself.

-Pr-
complaining about a game not following certain source material to the letter despite the game makers never saying thats what they were trying to do does not signify good or bad taste. obviously this is only loosely based off of the epic no one has said "this is a realsitic adaptation of dantes epic" so i dont really see what the problem is. why do people care about a company taking something and turning it into something else and how does that relate to taste? the epics arent people they dont care and the author is dead. he doesnt care.

imo it seems more like snobbishness and pseudointellecual ranting than there being an actual problem. im not trying to attack anyone or put anybody down but thats just how i interpret it.

that's not the point, though. taking on that name and giving any sort of impression that it's tied to dante's work is simply bad judgment, which is the problem. thankfully they seem to have gotten away from all that as time has gone on...

Ms.Marvel
but it is tied to dantes work.

the basic storyline is that dante goes into hell and is guided by vergil. that is the basic outline of dc. in this game you go down into hell and youre guided by vergil. but thats where the similarities end. and the developers even state this:

t1igTnGojDQ&hd=1

notice how they say that theres a distinct description of cerberus in greek mythology but they decided they didnt like that version and so made their own version? that doesnt mean that theyre work is no longer loosely inspired from greek mythology. so all this is is a game maker taking an already created story and shaping it to a way that they want... and no one ever stated otherwise. people thinking that they're somehow making an adaptation of his work just dont understand what theyre doing. know what i mean?

- - -

after looking at the game it doesnt seem to be all that good though imo. i dont like adventure games like god of war and this looks exactly like god of war. -_-

Kazenji

after looking at the game it doesnt seem to be all that good though imo. i dont like adventure games like god of war and this looks exactly like god of war. -_-

"Action-Adventure" more to the point.

Ms.Marvel
yeah that first part was on the the of my tongue thanks lol.

-Pr-
but it is tied to dantes work.

the basic storyline is that dante goes into hell and is guided by vergil. that is the basic outline of dc. in this game you go down into hell and youre guided by vergil. but thats where the similarities end. and the developers even state this:

t1igTnGojDQ&hd=1

notice how they say that theres a distinct description of cerberus in greek mythology but they decided they didnt like that version and so made their own version? that doesnt mean that theyre work is no longer loosely inspired from greek mythology. so all this is is a game maker taking an already created story and shaping it to a way that they want... and no one ever stated otherwise. people thinking that they're somehow making an adaptation of his work just dont understand what theyre doing. know what i mean?

- - -

and that's the problem. tying it to dante's work at all when it's in no way similar to the book bar some names and a general premise is a bad idea, imo.

i don't think anyone who read this thread genuinely think they're making an adaptation...

Ms.Marvel
i dont understand why that is a bad idea i guess is the problem.

HueyFreeman
I would laugh if they decided to make a "Faust" video game if this does well.

NemeBro
Originally posted by -Pr-
i don't think anyone who read this thread genuinely think they're making an adaptation... Then why b1tch?

Nemesis X
Well the game is coming out February 9th next year and one of the bosses will be a giant Cleopatra. Weird.

I hope the nine circles of Hell aren't small circles if you know what I mean.

-Pr-
bit late, but...

Then why b1tch?

for associating with it at all.

also, it's not b*tching if it's a worthwhile complaint.

Ms.Marvel
anything can be considered worthwhile from a certain point of view (gets all star wars up in this).

but anyway. yeah i personally dont see the harm in a company putting their own spin on an already incredible story at all. if anything this will most likely intrigue people into finding out more about the actual books which is a good thing!

-Pr-
anything can be considered worthwhile from a certain point of view (gets all star wars up in this).

but anyway. yeah i personally dont see the harm in a company putting their own spin on an already incredible story at all. if anything this will most likely intrigue people into finding out more about the actual books which is a good thing!

let's just hope the game is good, then...

Sin_Volvagia
PS3 gets the demo today. I will see if this game is worthy or not.

Nemesis X
Dante's Inferno is being disturbing enough to make me have second thoughts on getting it. I'm actually talking about the Anime version.

Warning: What you will read will be massively...wrong. Very wrong.
"In the original game script we wrote that Cerberus was going to shove Dante up his a**...it was a crazy, crazy scene. We just couldn't do it in the game for a lot of reasons. To have that moment that was in the game script that was cut from the game to show up in the animated feature is just really cool." - game's executive producer, Jonathan Knight

WTF?!

Keep this in mind if you're planning on getting the Anime version of Dante's Inferno when it hits shelves somewhere in 2010. Honestly if I were you, I would not get it.

Sin_Volvagia
Just played the demo. Obviously, things weren't disturbing enough because it ends when you make it to the Hell's Gate. Just in that short time alone, there was more nudity than in any God of War game.

Anyway, the game plays like God of War but it's easier to combo. The cross is actually a pretty cool weapon and it doesn't feel overpowered (like the guns of DMC2). The magic is easier to use since you only hold L1 and either X /\ () buttons.

What I don't like is the block button being L2.

I like how the Divine edition is 60$ compared to God of War 3's ridiculous 100$ Ultimate Edition.

Dante's Inferno is being disturbing enough to make me have second thoughts on getting it. I'm actually talking about the Anime version.

Warning: What you will read will be massively...wrong. Very wrong.
"In the original game script we wrote that Cerberus was going to shove Dante up his a**...it was a crazy, crazy scene. We just couldn't do it in the game for a lot of reasons. To have that moment that was in the game script that was cut from the game to show up in the animated feature is just really cool." - game's executive producer, Jonathan Knight

WTF?!

Keep this in mind if you're planning on getting the Anime version of Dante's Inferno when it hits shelves somewhere in 2010. Honestly if I were you, I would not get it.

Whoa! What? Now I know the anime isn't gonna be like Naruto or Deathnote and is gonna be more like the old-style anime except more in the lines of a grindhouse film.

I probably won't buy it but I would rent it after I beat the game.

Still that couldn't be as bad as
killing the unbaptized babies. I know they got scythes for arms and after Dante's blood but they still make baby sounds and that's not gonna be something I would enjoy. To make things worse, there's even a trophy you get on that part.

Scythe
Why did I not know of this game's existance?!?!?!?

Kazenji
Maybe because you've been living in the shadows.

Scythe
That must be it. Totally getting it when it comes out.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
I probably won't buy it but I would rent it after I beat the game.

Still that couldn't be as bad as
killing the unbaptized babies. I know they got scythes for arms and after Dante's blood but they still make baby sounds and that's not gonna be something I would enjoy. To make things worse, there's even a trophy you get on that part.

So you really want to watch Dante getting shoved up Cerberus'es butt?

Unbaptized babies? That's it? I've seen babies in DOOM 3 that looked more screwed up than those things. Getting shoved up a monsters butt is more disturbing than demon babies if you ask me.

Scythe
Monster anus human sodomy is hilarious. Especially if a really bad pun is uttered.

"PAIN IN THE ASSSSSS!!"

Nemesis X
Holy crap, Isaac Clark from Dead Space will be an unlockable skin in Dante's Inferno but it's only exclusive to Europe! Goddang it Europe, why is it that you get the good stuff?

Scythe
Meh, I'm fine with that.

Kazenji
Holy crap, Isaac Clark from Dead Space will be an unlockable skin in Dante's Inferno but it's only exclusive to Europe! Goddang it Europe, why is it that you get the good stuff?

So that means we will be getting it too in AUS i'm guessing.

Sin_Volvagia
So you really want to watch Dante getting shoved up Cerberus'es butt?

Unbaptized babies? That's it? I've seen babies in DOOM 3 that looked more screwed up than those things. Getting shoved up a monsters butt is more disturbing than demon babies if you ask me.

It's not the babies themselves. It's killing them and hearing cry sounds when they die. Killing enough of them gives you the Bad Nanny trophy/achievement.

Watching Dante go up monster's ass couldn't be worse than watching a rape or watching Cannibal Holocaust.

Nemesis X
Watching Dante go up monster's ass couldn't be worse than watching a rape or watching Cannibal Holocaust.

While I agree that raping and cannibalism can be more disturbing, I still think that watching a scene where Cerberus forcibly shoves Dante up where the sun doesn't shine feels very wrong.

I know I mentioned about it first but can we please stop talking about this? This conversation is getting very weird.

First_Tsurugi06
Played the demo, and true to the claims, it feels enough like God of War for me to have a very 'natural' experience with it. The game runs at a very smooth framerate from what I could tell, and Dante's character model, though not quite as detailed as Kratos', has very good animations, especially his running animation. My guess is that the combat itself may be a little more combo-heavy, but not to the point of becoming much of a distinction from what God of War's associated with. You can also apparently assign spells to any of the face buttons you want.

Oh, and there's also beast riding in this too.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
Played the demo, and true to the claims, it feels enough like God of War for me to have a very 'natural' experience with it. The game runs at a very smooth framerate from what I could tell, and Dante's character model, though not quite as detailed as Kratos', has very good animations, especially his running animation. My guess is that the combat itself may be a little more combo-heavy, but not to the point of becoming much of a distinction from what God of War's associated with. You can also apparently assign spells to any of the face buttons you want.

Yea, the devs said that the game will run at 60 FPS.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06

So since you played the demo and experienced the gameplay, do you think it would be best to buy the game first before Bioshock 2?

Impediment
I just played the PS3 demo.

This game is, most definitely, a God of War clone. The game play is almost identical.

Still, it was fun to play and the graphics were gorgeous.

I dunno if I'll buy this, but this definitely looks like a rental.

Impediment
Fun thing I just had to share:

This is an image/youtube link from Fear Factory's new album, Mechanize:

jufdSFEQzuw

The "F's" look incredibly like the scythe/main weapon that Dante uses when he defeats Death.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Impediment
I just played the PS3 demo.

This game is, most definitely, a God of War clone. The game play is almost identical.

Still, it was fun to play and the graphics were gorgeous.

I dunno if I'll buy this, but this definitely looks like a rental.

Pretty much what I thought.

Like Dead Space, they take a genre game and make a very good game, or could be make a very good game out of it.

Scythe
Originally posted by Impediment
Fun thing I just had to share:

This is an image/youtube link from Fear Factory's new album, Mechanize:

jufdSFEQzuw

The "F's" look incredibly like the scythe/main weapon that Dante uses when he defeats Death.

Haha, he uses a me.

dadudemon
Game looks fecking sweet.

Ragesremorse, I'm the opposite of you: I hate the fact that some things are taboo, like killing babies. I'm not about doing gross disgusting things in real life, but, killing demon babies that are literally from hell sounds awesome to no end...especially if they make real baby sounds. hahaha

I REALLY enjoyed Dante's Inferno, so I am hoping to see some homage in the game. I don't expect an exact match as that would be stupid, but something enough to show me, a fan of the literature, some goodies and a reasonable semblance to the story, is enough to satisfy my whims.

There are such things as good taste and bad taste.

Which is completely relative and never factual.

it's an anthropological construct that always appeals to argumentum ad populum or what is perceived as "socially acceptable taste."

thumb up

Wow. I never thought I'd see myself agreeing with you on something from the entertainment area.

Kazenji
Just tried out the demo got more out of the game then the one for Bayonetta.

Bardock42
The demo seemed indeed so much more fun than Bayonetta. I will probably get that in good time, no rush really, it seems fun though.

Nemesis X
Is it just me or is the ESRB turning a blind eye on this game? I've seen content in Dante's Inferno that makes even the wang feature in GTA look innocent no expression

BackFire
Game is getting mediocre reviews so far.

Nemesis X

Eurogamer: 6/10

IGN: 7.9

X-Play: 3 out of 5

Sin_Volvagia

More like mixed (unless that's what you call mediocre).

I heard the animated film is pretty good.

jinXed by JaNx
I rarely trust game reviews but i definitely don't trust game reviews when it comes to third person hack and slashers. It seems that game reviewers are always quick to compare Third person beat em ups to God of War and are very unforgiving. I remember that, Darksiders received mixed reviews (more bad than good) and that was a very well made game that offered a lot of fun.

I wasn't thrilled with the demo but i'm still holding out until i play the full game.

jinXed by JaNx

I heard the animated film is pretty good.

it is, check it out.

Kazenji
Eurogamer: 6/10

IGN: 7.9

X-Play: 3 out of 5

But yet you go to Gamespot that too has a low scores and then look at the user reviews they like it more then the reviewer

eh i don't really give a shit about the reviews i played the demo and liked it more then Bayonetta.

dadudemon
A much better rating measure is the IGN triple score.

IGN Score: 7.5

Average Press Score: 7.4

Reader Score: 7.3

Meaning, it's a good game..and better than some good games, however, it isn't ground breaking and it has a few problems.

I'll still play it, though.

AsbestosFlaygon
Dante's Inferno is a poor man's GoW laughing out loud

J/k. I'll try this game out as soon as it's available in my area.

Allankles
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I rarely trust game reviews but i definitely don't trust game reviews when it comes to third person hack and slashers. It seems that game reviewers are always quick to compare Third person beat em ups to God of War and are very unforgiving. I remember that, Darksiders received mixed reviews (more bad than good) and that was a very well made game that offered a lot of fun.

I wasn't thrilled with the demo but i'm still holding out until i play the full game.

Yeah. I don't trust reviewers on these types of hack and slash titles, they get hang up on, "it's like gow" as if gow was the first relatively brutal hack and slash game. It would be like people comparing Gow to games like Rygar and Dmc.

I haven't played the full game yet myself, but I'll at least rent it over a weekend.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Allankles
I haven't played the full game yet myself, but I'll at least rent it over a weekend.

This is what I planned to do.

Impediment
I might as well rent this game this weekend. A few people I know are raving about it already. My curiosity is piqued.

Demonic Phoenix
Not worth the 70$ in my opinion, not unless you want a translation of the Divine Comedy (Inferno section). It's worth renting though, even if it is a lot like GoW from the outset.

Sin_Volvagia
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Not worth the 70$ in my opinion, not unless you want a translation of the Divine Comedy (Inferno section). It's worth renting though, even if it is a lot like GoW from the outset.

The special edition is 60.

Demonic Phoenix
70$ where I'm at.

Scythe
Screw reviews, I'm enjoying it a lot. Much better imo than Bayonetta.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Scythe

Good.

Damn this schedule as I don't have time for gaming cept on the weekends. sad

jinXed by JaNx
I'm so pissed. I was supposed to have received this game the day before it released, from, Gamefly. The local post offices have been closed due to such a massive amount of snow. What the hell ever happened to their creed...,"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"?

Ms.Marvel
budget cuts happened

super pr*xy
dude.. a catholic version of god of war? sign me up..

dadudemon
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I'm so pissed. I was supposed to have received this game the day before it released, from, Gamefly. The local post offices have been closed due to such a massive amount of snow. What the hell ever happened to their creed...,"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"?

They can only send as fast as the USPS/FedEx/UPS/DHL can send it. That happens to be nill in Pittsburgh, at the moment.

Shipping pwned, man. PWNED!

Demonic Phoenix

Bayonetta and DI have different styles man. You enjoy the latter more obviously, as do I (that has to do with GoW though), but Bayonetta is pretty good as well.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by dadudemon
They can only send as fast as the USPS/FedEx/UPS/DHL can send it. That happens to be nill in Pittsburgh, at the moment.

Shipping pwned, man. PWNED!

Where the hell is Kevin Costner when you need him? The only time i require the services of his shitty movie role and he aint around, go figer. mad

Scythe
Bayonetta and DI have different styles man. You enjoy the latter more obviously, as do I (that has to do with GoW though), but Bayonetta is pretty good as well.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I enjoyed Bayonetta, but not enough to buy it, ya know? It played alright, but the goddamn pop music and all the dancing. Ungh. Put me off on it. Though it was an improvement than generic hard rock soundtrack, haha.

jalek moye
I'm loving this so far

AsbestosFlaygon
Recently, I had the chance to try the game out.

I was better than I thought it would be.. the online reviews didn't give the game much justice imo.

I enjoy this more than Bayonetta, honestly.

I just love action-adventure games.. maybe just got fed up with all the FPS coming out lol.
Can't wait for my copy of GoW3 Special Edition! *excited*

Sin_Volvagia
Just tried it out. It's alright but the Trails of Lucia (the DL content coming in April) sounds more interesting. The Dante figure is actually pretty good but I don't play with toys anymore.

And there is no way that this game is anywhere better than Bayonetta.

jalek moye
I personally like it more then bayonetta so far. I wont know for sure till i get both games tho. (only have the demo of bayonetta)

Sin_Volvagia
Ok, this game is actually pretty good. Very underrated.

I find it strange that Semiramis, who was the mother of Paganism, is a shade but not Cleopatra. And where the hell did Dante get superstrength?

Scythe
The glitch in the Greed stage kinda sucks. Good thing I knew about it, I avoided it, though it stinks that it's there.

Sin_Volvagia
The glitch in the Greed stage kinda sucks. Good thing I knew about it, I avoided it, though it stinks that it's there.

Thanks for the warning.

jalek moye
Ok, this game is actually pretty good. Very underrated.

I find it strange that Semiramis, who was the mother of Paganism, is a shade but not Cleopatra. And where the hell did Dante get superstrength?

The exact moment death came for him i assume

Nemesis X
I just punished Attila the Hun. I wonder if Caesar is around.

Nemesis X

That's Hell for ya.

Scythe
Thanks for the warning.

Yeah, right when you enter the Greed stage, when you have to jump on the rotating cogs, save or punish the girl on the upper top right hand corner. Otherwise, if you backtrack to get her and save your game after opening the door to the left and starting the staged fight, the door won't open.

Kazenji
Just Seen that giant ladies boobs that spew forth tiny babys with scythes for arms

and also whats up with the penis's on one of the area's?

Sin_Volvagia
Originally posted by Kazenji
Just Seen that giant ladies boobs that spew forth tiny babys with scythes for arms

The Circle of Lust is supposed to be sexy. I was kinda disappointed that Cleopatra wasn't the main boss of Lust. Instead you fight Marc Antony and she just assists. Just one more giant boss would've been fine. Oh well, maybe it will happen in Trials of Lucia?

Also, God of War's director actually gives positive feedback to this game despite it being almost a carbon copy.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/02/21/stig-asmussen-gives-dantes-inferno-some-props/

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji

I'm not exaggerating but I will say that I almost spewed out my lunch after I saw that. Babies coming out of a woman's chest, who's the moron who came up with that?

I didn't notice they were wangs and now that you mentioned it, I'm now greatly disturbed. Thanks a lot mad

Hewhoknowsall
So hang on a second - why did Beatrice go to hell???

Sin_Volvagia
I'm not exaggerating but I will say that I almost spewed out my lunch after I saw that. Babies coming out of a woman's chest, who's the moron who came up with that?

It's Hell. Don't expect rainbows and cotton candy.

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
So hang on a second - why did Beatrice go to hell???

She made a bet with Lucifer that Dante would be faithful to her. When Dante was in the Crusades, one his comrades was beating a Muslim man. The man's wife begged for them to stop and ended up whoring herself to Dante and he ended up committing adultery.

The man was upset at his wife and later after the war, he went out to assassinate people in a chapel (which included Dante's father). He found Beatrice and tried to rape her but ended up killing her. Because Dante was unfaithful, Lucifer took Beatrice as his bride.

But in reality, Lucifer wanted Dante to pursue after him because his physical body was trapped in the circle of Treachery. Dante did free and defeated, or so he thought. The game ends when Dante reaches Purgatory and Lucifer happened to sneak in.

Scythe
Lovin' this game. Beat it twice already, gonna try and go for all the trophies. I pulled off a 2,124 hit combo, I loved that.

Demonic Phoenix
Yeah, I know what you mean. I enjoyed Bayonetta, but not enough to buy it, ya know? It played alright, but the goddamn pop music and all the dancing. Ungh. Put me off on it. Though it was an improvement than generic hard rock soundtrack, haha.

I feel the same way, about DI stick out tongue. I enjoy it, but I'm not going to spend money for the purchase, just for a rent.

One major detractor to these sort of games has always been the soundtrack >__>. Hated DMC's (vocal) soundtracks, and am not very fond of Bayonetta's.
DI's is alright though.

Scythe
I feel the same way, about DI stick out tongue. I enjoy it, but I'm not going to spend money for the purchase, just for a rent.

One major detractor to these sort of games has always been the soundtrack >__>. Hated DMC's (vocal) soundtracks, and am not very fond of Bayonetta's.
DI's is alright though.

Haha, yeah. I thought for sure DI was gonna have some rehashed wannabe metal/deathmetal soundtrack.

Sin_Volvagia
Haha, yeah. I thought for sure DI was gonna have some rehashed wannabe metal/deathmetal soundtrack.

Why would a GoW (which is actually DMC clone) have a metal soundtrack? Most historical games have scores to match their environment.

Scythe
Why would a GoW (which is actually DMC clone) have a metal soundtrack? Most historical games have scores to match their environment.

Well, DMC had metal riffs all along the soundtrack, which were cool, but got abit annoying. Then when I heard Dante's Inferno was coming out, I don't know why I just hoped it wouldn't have a metal soundtrack because it deals with hell and satan.

Demonic Phoenix

I don't know, I consider games such as GoW and DI to be "epic", not in the sense that they are super-mega-fricking awesome, but more in line with epic films and epic poetry, etc.

Such games having a metal/deathmetal OST would be a terrible decision in my opinion. I can understand why a metal/deathmetal one would be used though. I'm glad one wasn't used.

BTW, Satan looks like a goat no 313?

Nemesis X
BTW, Satan looks like a goat no 313?

Isn't that how he's seen in some religions?

Demonic Phoenix
Brava, you got the quip.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>