Respect Link, the Hero of Hyrule

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

First_Tsurugi06
The many incarnations of Link.

From 1986 to the present day, the Legend of Zelda has starred none other than Link, the Hylian youth destined to rise in times of peril, and purge the evil that plagues the land.

Garbed in a forest green tunic, a matching cap, sporting elven ears and wielding the Blade of Evil's bane, Link is an recognizable among gamers old and new. He is named for acting as the one "link" between the gamers and the adventures in which he appears. One of the biggest things to be known for Link is that he is not one character, but exists as multiple incarnations, spread throughout the several generations in the kingdom of Hyrule. Since the first game, there have been upwards of seven or eight individuals by the name of Link, each with their own journey, but with the same destiny to save the kingdom of the evil Ganondorf. With the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf is known and feared as the King of Evil, a nigh-Godly sorcerous tyrant. Vulnerable only to the sacred power of the Goddesses, it is Link keeper of the Triforce of Courage, who is chosen to vanquish him. For everytime Ganon rises, so too, will a new hero emerge.

As mentioned earlier, there are several Links. Most often, each Link has appeared in at least one or two games, usually in the direct sequel to its predecessor (i.e. the original Legend of Zelda, and Adventure of Link feature the same Link, as do Ocarina of Time and its direct sequel Majora's Mask). Some interpret each Link as a sort of reincarnation or ancestor of a previous Link as they all have the same general appearance which includes hair the ranges from blonde to brown, eyes most commonly blue in color, and skills in several arts.

Throughout the years, Link has met a number of different people and had visited several places inside and outside of Hyrule. Besides his archnemesis Ganondorf, Link is fatefully bound by she who is also blessed by the Gods, Princess Zelda. The third wielder of a piece of the Triforce, she is often brought into captivity by Ganondorf, and only Link, the chosen keeper of the Triforce of Courage can save her. Their relationship is often the subject of fan speculation, and ranges from a romantic bond, to even an unknown familial connection. To this day, Link has been acquainted to several girls considered potential love interests, who include, but are not limited to: Malon, the angel-faced red-head farmgirl of Lon Lon ranch (known for her singing), Marin a girl who resembles Princess Zelda and resides with her father on Koholint Island, Ilia, a childhood friend of Link who lives with him and the other villagers of Ordon, and Midna, a small, mysterious, sassy, charismatic, cuddly, all-around loveable imp-like creature who frees Link from captivity and accompanies him on his quest who, in secret is the Princess of the Twilight Realm.

Link's age is dependant on the incarnation, but he is most often a young boy of adolescent years, not far beyond eight to ten years old. Occasionally, there will be a Link of teenage years, such as the adult version of OOT Link, or the Link who appears in Twilight Princess. The oldest he is shown is around sixteen to eighteen years old.

Link's battle prowess is also quite formiddable for a person of his young age. Even in youth, he is proficient with the sword, able to fight the forces that come his way. His skill with the sword depends usually on which Link is the subject. In some, he is able to use basic swordsmanship, and other Links (particularly Twilight Princess Link) are able to perform several special techniques. One of the most common and notable skills of Link is known as the Spin Attack, where he gathers energy in his sword and unleashes it in a rotating slash. Link is also skilled in several other weapons, which include the bow and arrow, boomerangs, bombs, and more unique weapons such as magical staves (i.e, Cane of Byrna, Dominion Rod, etc), hammers, and chained weapons known as the Hookshot (as well as a variant known as the Clawshot).

Physically, he is also very competent. His strength is often quite impressive, and in some cases, can be enhanced to superhuman levels with the aid of items (such as the Power Bracelets, or the Silver/Golden Gautnlets). Link is also very agile, being able to perform quick leaps, rolls, somersaults and backflips with relative ease. As with his strength, Link also has items that can increase his agility such as Roc's Feather.

Link is also commonly a wielder of magic in some way or another. At times, he possesses powers granted to him by higher being, and others gain magical items such as arrows imbued with fire, ice, or light.

There are a few interesting notes about Link as a character. For one, he is left-handed in a majority of his games (save for a few tehcnical exceptions), as shown by how he wields the sword in his left hand and a shield in his right.

What;s possibly most unique about Link is his status as a character. He can be summed up as a "silent protagonist", one who says nothing throughout the entire adventure, save for a few grunts, laughs, etc. This has been but one of the many traditions in the series, but with each passing game, Link grows more and more personable and expressive as a character, making it that much easier to understand what is on his mind. He is generally seen as a humble, courageous, and sometimes naive young man, and grows into a hero as his journey comes full circle.

With each passing game, Link's iconic status in the gaming realm is strengthened by the fanbase (save for the bishie fangirls. F**k them roll eyes (sarcastic) ). Link is but one of many Nintendo characters that proves it doesn't take stubbles, mile-wide jawlines, cocky attitudes, or unrealistically large muscles to be a good character. For that, Link, and his Nintendo bretheren deserve nothing less than the utmost respect.

RESPECT LINK!

Zack Fair
And here I thought this guy would already have a respect thread, but...its about damned time!

First_Tsurugi06
Bumpt 4 eckstra info.

The following is a list of but a few adventures of only a fraction of the Links shwon in the series (taken directly from excerpts of Link's wiki at Zeldapedia.com).

Legend of Zelda

Link appears for the very first time in the first Zelda game. Here, he is a hero summoned by Impa, the Royal caretaker to save Princess Zelda from the evil Prince of Darkness, Ganon, who is seeking out the shards of the Triforce of Wisdom. Link finds the pieces before he does, and in the end, destroys Ganon with a Silver Arrow and saves Zelda, who was captured. Link's character and background is given little explanation in the game, and appears to be merely a generic fantasy hero during this incarnation.

A Link to the Past

Link is told by a man in the sanctuary that Agahnim, a wizard who has usurped the throne, is planning to break a seal made hundreds of years ago by the Seven Sages. The seal was placed to imprison a dark wizard named Ganon in the Dark World, which was once the Sacred Realm before Ganon invaded, obtained the legendary Triforce and used its power to turn the realm into a land of darkness. Agahnim intends to break the seal by sending the descendants of the Seven Sages who made the seal into the Dark World. The only thing that can defeat him is the Master Sword, a sword forged to combat evil. To prove that he is worthy to wield it, Link needs three magic Pendants of Virtue. After retrieving the pendants, Link takes them to the resting place of the Master Sword. After Link has drawn the sword from its pedestal, Zelda telepathically calls him to the Sanctuary, informing him that Hyrule Castle guards have arrived. Link arrives at the Sanctuary moments after the soldiers have vacated, where he learns from the dying man that Zelda has been taken to Hyrule Castle. Link goes to rescue her but arrives too late; Agahnim sends Zelda to the Dark World. Link then defeats Agahnim in battle but is subsequently also sent to the Dark World.

To save Hyrule, Link is required to rescue the Seven Maidens, descendants of the Seven Sages, from dungeons scattered across the Dark World. Once the seven maidens are freed, they use their power to break the barrier around Ganon's Tower, where Link faces Agahnim again. After Link battles Agahnim for a second time, Ganon rises up from Agahnim's body, turns into a bat, and flies away. Link chases him, finally confronting him inside the Pyramid of Power in the Dark World. After a battle resulting in Ganon's demise, Link touches the Triforce and restores Hyrule to how it was before Ganon intervened

Ocarina of Time

Link was born during the Hyrulean Civil War, and was left in the Kokiri Forest by his mother, so that he could avoid the violence. From that point onwards, he was raised by the Great Deku Tree. Though he was actually a Hylian, he was raised as a Kokiri, so that he would fit in with his peers. However, unlike the other Kokiri, he didn't have a fairy, and for that reason, he was ridiculed by some of the other Kokiri, Mido in particular. When Link is around the age of ten, Ganondorf places a curse on the Great Deku Tree, and the Great Deku Tree sends Link a fairy, called Navi. Link gets the Deku Shield and the Kokiri Sword, and defeats Queen Gohma, who was part of the curse. After that, the Great Deku Tree bestows Link the spiritual stone upon his death. Saria gives Link the Fairy Ocarina, with which he can play songs important to the gameplay. Link travels to Hyrule Castle, where he meets Zelda. Zelda tells Link about Ganondorf's malicious plans, and sends Link to find the other Spiritual stones.

Link retrieves the two remaining spiritual stones, and sets off for Hyrule Castle Town to place them in the Temple of Time. Before entering the town, Zelda gives him the Ocarina of Time while she is being chased by Ganondorf. Link returns the stones to the Temple of Time, and the Master Sword is revealed to him. However, after pulling the Master Sword from its pedestal, Link is frozen in time for seven years, since the sword did not consider him old enough to carry the title of the Hero of Time. During these seven years, Ganondorf takes over Hyrule. Upon awakening, Link is a young adult of about seventeen years. Rauru, the Sage of Light, informs him of Hyrule's takeover, and instructs him to find the other sages, Darunia, the Sage of Fire, Princess Ruto, the Sage of Water, Nabooru, the Sage of Spirit, Impa, the Sage of Shadow, and Saria, the Sage of Forest. Link gathers the remaining sages, and enters Ganon's Castle. He defeats Ganondorf, in both his Gerudo form and in his moblin-like Ganon form, and frees Hyrule. Zelda then sends Link back in time to before the events of the game occurred

Wind Waker

This Link lives on Outset Island in the Great Sea, which is Hyrule after being flooded by the Gods. He is celebrating his 12th birthday, which is customary on the island for receiving the Hero's Clothes to honor the Hero of Time legend. (Interesting to note is this has sparked rumors that the timelines may know of each other, as the Adult Link timeline would only know of The Hero of Time as an adult and not the age of the child.) Link ventures to the Forsaken Fortress to track down the Helmaroc King who abducted his sister, Aryll, with the help of Tetra the pirate. Link initially fails to rescue Aryll, then, Link is bossed around constantly, by the King of Red Lions, his grandmother, and Tetra and her pirates. Although the game inspires speculation about his possible relation to the Hero of Time (Namely, his family shield which was 'rumored to be used by the Hero himself', this theory is discouraged by the King of Red Lions, the King of Hyrule, who tells the sea spirit Jabun that 'He appears to have no connection to the ancient one.')

Twilight Princess

Link is a rancher in Ordon Village who is around 17 years old. He sports a Triforce shaped birthmark on his hand, physical evidence that he possesses the Triforce of Courage from his ancestor of Ocarina of Time, the Hero of Time. One day, Rusl, the town blacksmith, requests Link to be his proxy for a trip to Hyrule to deliver the Ordon Sword and Ordon Shield the Royal Family ordered. As he prepared to leave, King Bulblin kidnaps Ilia and Colin, Link's friends, along with other children, and draws Link into the Faron Province, blanketed with Twilight. The Twilight morphs Link into a wolf.

Link delivers Light back to the Faron Province, with the help of Midna, and awakens as the Chosen Hero, now donning Link's trademark green clothing. Link and Midna venture to collect the Fused Shadows, which can be used to defeat Zant, the king of the Twilight Realm who covered Hyrule in Twilight.

--

Also worth noting is that Link is a man of many hobbies. Since Link's Awakening (the first Zelda on a portable console) several Links have had a talent for fishing. Link's skills in fishing are very commendable, capable of catching even the legendary Hylian Loach. Nevertheless, he isn't always against using a few tricks including the occasional use of the sinking lure, seen as cheating by hardcore fishers such as the Fishing Hole owner known as Hena.

Aside from fishing, several Links are experienced in musical instruments including the harp, most commonly the flute or more specifically the ocarina, and even with plants and grass. Link knows many songs, some of which even have mystical properties like the ability to turn night into day, control the wind, and even warp from one place to another.

Link is also a skilled horseback rider. He can tame his horse with but a single melody and is even capable of using his many weapons atop his horse. Link's trusty steed is named Epona, a light rown mare with white hair and a white tail. She is a fast-running horse and is capable of even death-defying leaps (such as leaping over the gap from the wrecked bridge leading into the Gerudo Fortress). Loyal to Link, she can be summoned by the tune known as Epona's song from even the other side of Hyrule.

ScreamPaste
IT's amazing to me that one of the most deserving characters went so long without a respect thread, Link gets huge points for being one of the least pretentious heroes in gaming.

Green cap and tunic? Not exactly 'Stylin' but who needs tattooes, a rediculous jaw line or way too many freakin belts. :P He's freakin Link.

First_Tsurugi06
Well, if green isn't your color, just remember that Link comes not only in many incarnations, but many colors as well.

ThunderGodEneru
I guess I will get some feats, starting with Twilight Princess Link's phenomenol strength.

Here, while fighting the boss of the Goron Mines, we see Link was able to trip the massive Goron by grabbing his shackles.

Z0Qmx6qKxqM

Now, a more impressive strength feat IMO was actually seen earlier, while fighting the massive Goron sub-boss. Goron's are pure, living rock, and this one is also wearing what appears to be steel battle armor as well, which would make this Goron as much as 30 tons, yet Link at about 50 seconds into the vid was able to grab and throw the Goron out of the arena.

vEFiRew2Ef8

Now, I personally don't like it, but this is another of Link's strength feats, actually able to match, and at times overpower Ganondorf in a sword lock, despite Ganon's much greater size.

Bx0Yfg6EasQ

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru

Now, I personally don't like it, but this is another of Link's strength feats, actually able to match, and at times overpower Ganondorf in a sword lock, despite Ganon's much greater size.

Bx0Yfg6EasQ

haermm

ThunderGodEneru
Reported.

killermover
I always wondered where Link learns how to weild a sword.

ThunderGodEneru
In most games he sorta just does.

In Windwaker, Orca, the local village swordsman, taught him.

In TP another village swordsman guy taught him, and he received further instruction from some random dead skeleton guy.

ScreamPaste
Let's not leave out feats by the other incarnations of Link.

OOT/MM Link

I'm aware this is a hacked guide, and you need the Golden Gauntlets, but this still counts =P Link cracks his knuckles, then lifts a massive stone pillar that I don't even want to guess at the weight of... and THROWS IT OVER HIS SHOULDER. (where it casually imbeds itself in a cliff face..)

at 1:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8lTMMELlYw

Snafu the Great
This is no shit, people.

LINK FINALLY GETS HIS OWN MOVIE!

kKGehSw5ht8

...and yes, he is weaing the green outfit.

ThunderGodEneru
Um, dude...That's an April Fool's joke played by IGN...It's actually pretty old.

Snafu the Great
Um, dude...That's an April Fool's joke played by IGN...It's actually pretty old.

Dang. Got my hopes up for nothing

Man of...
Link is so damn cool (and kinda gay). Don't no why the Mario games get so much more play.

Nactous
I cant respect T.P.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by ScreamPaste

As to strength, Let me math.. He lifted a stone pillar resmebling black granite closest (a VERY heavy stone known for being retardedly heavy.)

granit article v
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rmr/definition.html <--source.

"Since so many people ask me about "weight" ....I have an old reference that says an "average" granite has a density of about 166.5 lb. per cubic foot, or about 2.6 times what the same volume of water would weigh. If its what commercial stone dealers call a "black granite" the density would likely be much higher."

Now, assuming that, lemme make a few estimations.. /heads to youtube.

http://i44.tinypic.com/15pg4g3.jpg <--screen shot. I'l try to get one that shows the entire pillar rather than just the bottom... but it's clearly huge. Lemme do some quick math on that using the average weight of white granite before I move on to black granite..

K, working with only what we can SEE in this image, let's assume conservatively that Link is slighlty above average height, around 6'2" or more seems reasonable, so we'll go with six. ASSUMING these thigns with VERY roguh guestimations (thank you Blubba Pinecone for your godliness) this rock is aprox 12208.32 cubic feet in volume. (JUST the visible part in the pic, not including the top half.) Now, if that means the average weight of white granite is 166.5 lbs per cubic foot... *math* 2032685.28 Lbs. That's the weiht of JUST the visible portion of the pillar if we assume Link is 6' and the stone is light granite as opposed to black granite.

If a ton is 2000 lbs thats 1016.3 tons. and he THROWS IT.

Now I have to find something on black granite because that's the stone the pillars in OoT closest resemble.. -.- Just a sec.

BLACK GRANITE!

"Cambrian Black granite

Absorption by weight: 0.101%

Density: 179 pounds/cubic foot

(2,874 kg/cu.m)

Compressive strength: 22,122 psi (153 Mpa)

Modulus of rupture: 1,868 psi (12.92 Mpa)"

http://www.stoneworld.com/Articles/Feature_Article/f6a52a4061409010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____ <--article.

Math time. 12208.32 (volume in cubic feet) x 179 (lbs per cubic foot) = 2185289.28 lbs. Just the visible portion. Link. Is. Amazing.. I didn't expect it to be THAT heavy.. wtf.. 1096.64 tons. .

Even in my most fanboyish moments I would have only guessed 100ish tons for the entire rock.. and this is a conservative estimation. So.... I'm gonna go redo my math, I don't believe this.

Edit: most of this math. (figuring the volume in cubic feet) was doen by my math whiz friend Blubba Pinecone.

Omg..

Yeah, he had gauntlets, but they're canon and as valid as any weapon found alogn the course of a game. You need these to beat the game..

Composite Links are officially broken, TP Link wearing those would be STUPID.

Rascaduanok

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
This is no shit, people.

LINK FINALLY GETS HIS OWN MOVIE!

kKGehSw5ht8

...and yes, he is weaing the green outfit.

I'd rather watch that joke than the actual trailer of the movie IF they ever make it.

Video Game movies...Yuck.

BTW wasn't Link unorthodox?

Rascaduanok

Zack Fair
Yeah.

Nactous
Ugh, Twilight Princess

ScreamPaste
The canon version of TP has him left handed, that is to say, the GC version.

Edit: While I'm here I'm going to prove Link has super human reaction time.

In Majora's Mask Link faces Majora's three incarnations, one of which has some VERY scarey whips, now Majora's already a crazy powerful being about to destroy the planet, easily on super human levels. Now let's look at whips..

The crack of a whip is actually a sonic boom as the whip breaks the sound barrier, interesting, eh? This is just in th hands of a regular human.

Another factor is the length of the whip, the longer the whip is the faster it's tip is moving! This is because when you swing something, for example a sword, the section closest to your shoulder has a shorter distance to go in the same time. In the case of Majora's extremely long, powerful, magicly enhanced whips, these were easily moving at super sonic speeds, and Link dodged them capably as a child! Impressive? Hell yes.

ThunderGodEneru
Only if you proved he ever dodged them. smile

And I call bullshit, Whips make a sonic boom now? And whips do not travel at the speed of sound sir, you are full of shit.

ScreamPaste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_barrier

"Some common whips such as the bullwhip or sparewhip are able to move faster than sound: the tip of the whip breaks the sound barrier and causes a sharp crack—literally a sonic boom."

ThunderGodEneru
I know what the sound barrier is. no expression

You have not proved a Whip breaks it.

ScreamPaste
Read the article, it's in the first part very early on. =/ I can get more sources if you want, lol. It's common knowledge really,and was even on mythbusters.

CosmicComet
I'm kinda surprised you didn't know about it already TGE.

ThunderGodEneru
The tip of the whip breacks the sound barrier, the whole bloody thing does not move faster than sound.

Yay for taking things out of context.

ScreamPaste
In the case of Majora's whips sheer length would result in more than just the very tip moving at super sonci speed, and OBVIOUSLY the part closest to Majora can;t move that fast as it has not NEAR the same distance to travel in the same distance of time. That;s basic physics. o_o that's like gauging the speed of it by it's handle, the attack itself is still on sonic levels, and still has to be dodge by Link, which it was.

ThunderGodEneru
Only Majora's whip also did not have the crack that is characteristic of a bullwhip, meaning it was NOT moving faster than sound.

It was essentially like being hit by a log, more brute force than the smack of a whip.

ScreamPaste
Only Majora's whip also did not have the crack that is characteristic of a bullwhip, meaning it was NOT moving faster than sound.

It was essentially like being hit by a log, more brute force than the smack of a whip.

Yes it did, lol. It might not have sounded the exact same but hey, such was the N64. it did have the crack though, I remember it specificly because I'm an audiophile and the ambience and SFX of Zelda games always made me enjoy the games more, lol.

CosmicComet
Sounds to me like more of an artistic inconsistency as far as sound goes from the game developers.

The visual characteristics of his whips, at least, is clear. In that they are meant to be whips.

ScreamPaste
To assume that a normal man can break the sound barrier with a whip and Majora cannot is .. well a little insulting! =P

Voyeur
Link's Feats

strength:

As to strength, Let me math.. He lifted a stone pillar resmebling black granite closest (a VERY heavy stone known for being retardedly heavy.)

granit article v
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rmr/definition.html

an old reference says an "average" granite has a density of about 166.5 lb. per cubic foot, or about 2.6 times what the same volume of water would weigh. If its what commercial stone dealers call a "black granite" the density would likely be much higher."

http://i44.tinypic.com/15pg4g3.jpg

K, working with only what we can SEE in this image, let's assume conservatively that Link is slightly above average height, around 6'2" or more seems reasonable, so we'll go with six. this rock is aprox 12208.32 cubic feet in volume. (JUST the visible part in the pic, not including the top half.) Now, if that means the average weight of white granite is 166.5 lbs per cubic foot... *math* 2032685.28 Lbs. That's the weight of JUST the visible portion of the pillar if we assume Link is 6' and the stone is light granite as opposed to black granite.

If a ton is 2000 lbs thats 1016.3 tons. and he THROWS IT.

Now I have to find something on black granite because that's the stone the pillars in OoT closest resemble.
BLACK GRANITE!

"Cambrian Black granite

Absorption by weight: 0.101%

Density: 179 pounds/cubic foot

(2,874 kg/cu.m)

Compressive strength: 22,122 psi (153 Mpa)

Modulus of rupture: 1,868 psi (12.92 Mpa)"

http://www.stoneworld.com/Articles/...000f932a8c0____ <--article.

Math time. 12208.32 (volume in cubic feet) x 179 (lbs per cubic foot) = 2185289.28 lbs. Just the visible portion. Link. Is. Amazing.. I didn't expect it to be THAT heavy.. wtf.. 1096.64 tons. .

Link like many others who are brought up has his own multiple forms to be able to shape shift and his strength as Goron Link is able to take down a Mechanical-Organic giant, super bull with his body alone. Not to mention the giant slabs he is able to punch away with ease while in the dungeon.
-n_xp9eM7HU

endurance:

Link surviving an explosion he took a point blank radius while still inside the Moon, that eventually disintegrated it (this scene is done in slow motion, rainbow is there for happy ending effects) Now 'Dawn of A New Day' is easily translated into only a few minutes time since with the Moon destroyed the Day would be immediate.

Link fell from that height of the Moon after surviving the explosion and the only counter argument to that has been there is no crater where he landed. Well last I checked if a humanoid is dropped from any height, extreme or not, there is no crater of impact because they are not heavy in weight. The explosion radius is clearly contained with in the Moon and so inertia kicks in and is canceled. So force of impact is all with in that moment of explosion, then Link would simply drop from the point there after.
example: suicide victims of 9/11 did not create craters and fell from greater heights.
DeVbMiqVuV0

another one is that as young Link, by only using the Hylian Shield on his back while crouching alone can withstand the pressure and weight of the King Dodongo. That is only his young body with out fully being physically developed it both situations.
dFP7Bded-IQ

Speed;Agility;Reflex:

Also noted in this fight that Majora uses whip based weapons that are able to travel faster then the speed of sound. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_barrier That means those attacks from Majora break the sound barrier, which means they are faster then the speed of sound, and Link can react and dodge them accordingly. Link is faster then the speed of what it takes to break the sound barrier. And thus upon breaking it, and Link showing he can dodge them with ease proves his speed, agility and reflex all in one go. Young Link, Adult Link or any of his forms would all be capable of this respectively.

Link's Items & Weapons
Weapons

I T E M S

Masks aka Other Forms

LINK's abilities:
Link is the hero of time with many abilities.

Link is an exceptional swordsman. His skill with various weapons and items allows him to easily adapt and master each new tool he acquires and employ them in battles. Link shows himself to be an excellent marksman. Including but not restricted to with a Bow and Arrow, Boomerang, Slingshot, HookShot, ClawShot etc. etc.

Link is also very agile, proven as he is able to perform back-flips and somersaults with ease to dodge his enemies' attacks at the very start of his adventures.

Additionally, Link has proven to be very strong physically, as he is usually able to move heavy objects and overpower larger enemies rather easily. Along the fact his power to ride a giant Boar, and his horseback riding skills are impeccable.

In the "Oracle of Seasons", Link is shown to have at least some skills in hand-to-hand combat with the boxing mini-game and in Twilight Princess, he is taught the art of sumo wrestling by the mayor of Ordon Village; proving Link isn't completely defenseless without a weapon.

Link even uses magic in the form of spells. On several occasions he has even been able to shape shift into another form including a fairy, bunny, wolf, Deku, Goron, Zora, a Giant, and a Deity.

Finally, he is endowed with the powers of the Triforce of Courage.

The Legend of Zelda
-Sword Beams: able to fire energy blasts from Sword
-Spin Attack: Charged or otherwise, with or with out magical energy released from it, this attack is a circular based one with critical consequence.
(side note: these attacks are also translated and relate to the other titles in which they appear. Same goes for Sword Plant, Rocket Stab, Lunge and so on)

Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
-Shield: (buff) reduces all damage taken by half
-Jump: (buff) Link's jumping abilities are greatly increased
-Life: (buff) Regenerates Health
-Fairy: (buff) Transforms Link into a Fairy
-Fire: (ranged) A ranged fire attack from the Sword
-Reflect: (buff) Nullifies and reflects all attacks
-Spell: (aoe) Transforms all Enemies into a Bot
-Thunder: (aoe) destroys all Enemies.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Bombos: (aoe) creates a giant explosion
Ether: (aoe) immobilize all enemies
Quake: (aoe) creates an earthquake

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Excluded since it's a dream, other wise this Link would be unbeatable.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Din's Fire: (aoe) Creates a dome of intense Fire to disintegrate
Farore's Wind: (buff) Create a Warp Point to teleport at any time
Nayru's Love (buff) Create a protective barrier to reduce damage

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Deku Link: can hover/fly and shoot poison bubbles
Goron Link: unbridled strength & can spin around at extreme velocity
Zora Link: Energy Shield, ranged fins, & unlimited breath under water
Giant Link: need I say more?
Fierce Deity Link: Deity means a god, so yeah =3

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Hidden Skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLg5beoBbAU
-Ending Blow
-Shield Attack
-Back Slice
-Helm Splitter
-Mortal Draw
-Jump Strike
-Great Spin

Super Smahs Bros. Series
Final Smash:
65pkTJHljSI
1Gn1d_qn0vw

The move hits multiple enemies.

SSE:
4_m5AsTPaPw

(side note: being able to side step and dodge Fox's laser is proof he could dodge a bullet. Lets also state that by official translation of Nintendo that Farore's wind can be used as a quick teleportation)

SoulCalibur 2
IaDSWnA-27Q

Illusion Stab Combo, also in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

for the sake of length I have not gone to deeply into each specific Link by assuming all the basics are kept through out each one.

credits: ScreamPaste
references: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Zeldapedia

Zack Fair
I believe LttP Link was taught how to wield and use a sword by his uncle.

An organized Link respect thread with all the different versions of Link being split would be nice. Would take a lot of effort though

Hmm...

Voyeur
I'd do it if I was allowed to make a new respect thread for Link. It would be super easy to be honest.

and there is actually a really easy time line theory to go by in which there is just one Link. Even up from OoT to TP but I'd have to boggle your minds with simple time paradox understandings and probably waste time.

But, umm if I wont get reported for it. I'll make a new, more sensible and organized Link respect thread.

E D I T: actually I'd probably give all the information to some one else who actually likes Link and have them post it and run it because I do like LoZ: I just don't have a big boner for Link.

Zack Fair
I don't remember the rules, but I don't see the problem with it.

The Comics Respect Forum has different threads for different versions. However some might get out of hand and start posting stupid shit like "Respect Marvel vs Capcom 2 Ryu." That would honestly suck. However since Link has so many different incarnations that are all different(except OoT/MM Link) I think it would work.

BTW good job posting those feats. You and Eneru have done a nice job showing what Link has done.

Voyeur
well not only the OoT and Majora's Mask Link are the one and the same (along with easily chained other games with very reasonable census of agreement) with the same universe and time Line, but the A Link to the Past is the same one that fights and goes to find and destroy Soul Edge in Soul Calibur 2, based on clear given background facts that I can quote.

Umm...I'll let scream paste have some posts later and he can do one up. This won't be for a while since I want to work on my own favorite gaming character Respect thread first, since she's awesome.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Voyeur
well not only the OoT and Majora's Mask Link are the one and the same (along with easily chained other games with very reasonable census of agreement) with the same universe and time Line, but the A Link to the Past is the same one that fights and goes to find and destroy Soul Edge in Soul Calibur 2, based on clear given background facts that I can quote.

Umm...I'll let scream paste have some posts later and he can do one up. This won't be for a while since I want to work on my own favorite gaming character Respect thread first, since she's awesome.

I would love to see those background facts because A Link to the Past is my fav Zelda.

Fair enough.

I just voiced the thought because Link deserves it.

Nactous
I cannot respect TP Link, I'm sorry.

First_Tsurugi06
You said that twice before here. We get your point, so don't make a chain of it or you'll just be wasting more space than you already have by mentioning disrespect in a respect thread. That said, whatever qualms you have don't change the fact that Link in TP is still the most expressive, personable, and character/plot-involved Link the series has had yet, and has still done more than other Links with less. As far as plot is concerned, he's the first Link that can actually be called a character and not an avatar.

KakashiKun
Link saved my childhood after Ocarina of Time.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
You said that twice before here. We get your point, so don't make a chain of it or you'll just be wasting more space than you already have by mentioning disrespect in a respect thread. That said, whatever qualms you have don't change the fact that Link in TP is still the most expressive, personable, and character/plot-involved Link the series has had yet, and has still done more than other Links with less. As far as plot is concerned, he's the first Link that can actually be called a character and not an avatar.

Eh, WW Link and Oot/MM Link were both given some decent depth, they count too =P

Nactous
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06

Ridiculous, he might have the most reactions, but he is defiantly not the most expressive.

First_Tsurugi06
To a point, yes. MM is where it really began in my opinion, and only grew with each subsequent 3D Zelda, which is good in my opinon.

I'm sorry but that is just completely groundless blasphemy. He's the ONLY one to have EVER had enough expressiveness in spite of his lack of dialogue to actually justify him as a character as evolved from the "link between the player and the game" as he is in comparison to every Link before him, which is by a huge margin frankly. That's not including the fact that he also had the most established history with the most characters from the start. With TP Link, we had a character who was actually personable. With everyone before him, we had a character that had to be fillied in mostly on the player's own accord.

Nactous
That's it, I'm bringing Jlrtenjac in here!!

ScreamPaste
BECUZ IT'S RELATED.

Alright, evidence of the sword's rediculous PIS abilities.

The sword's earliest confirmed appearance is in aLttP. Guess what, Ganon has the *entire* triforce to himself in this title. The sword here uses art VERY similiar to the magic sword in Zelda II's info booklet which came with the game cart, suggesting the art atleast, if not the idea, of the sword had been around for some time.

In it's earliest incarnation the Master sword could could destroy and repel evil, including reflecting back magical attacks from Ganon and Aghanim, as well as cut through magical barriers and the like. It had not yet become the fully formed PIS device it was to become, but the basic building blocks were already there. Firstly, because Link does not have a piece of the triforce, and the sword is hailed all through the game in various quotes as the only thing that can save Hyrule.

and it did, in a maddeningly PIS piece of PIS, Link won, but what explains this? How did Link overcome a fully powered up Ganon with the entire triforce? With the mastersword! And so it began..

The next time we see this magical plot blasting blade we've made the jump to OoT and some.. wierd thigns happen. One of the first events in the game as we're introduced to Gerudo form Ganondorf, who was in a nightmare Link had, is that he, with no piece of the triforce, cast a death curse on the Deku tree, a powerful gaurdian of the forest and "entrance to our world". Now, Link quickly becomes a pain worthy of Ganon's note, collecting the stones Ganon wanted for himsef, but Ganon allows this to go on, findign a way to turn it to his advantage. If Link opens the door to the scared realm for him, why bother working himself? /mistake. He threw away his victory by easily prepubescent kill rigth there. THAT is the PIS that lost him every Zelda game ever as OoT is the first in the series that Ganon is in. . Link goes on to get the master sword and the triforce is trisected.

Now Link comes back, and Ganon wants Link's piece of the triforce. At the end of the Forest Temple, Ganon banishes the boss to the gap between dimensions without even being on screen! hax. Link stands a few feet away like "lul,sucker" <--Why not him too?

Hell, why not a death curse?

LATER: Link has freed the sages and Zelda has revealed herself in the temple of time, giving Link the ligth arrows.. Then Ganon is like "*****, I'm not even on screen, but gimmeh your triangle" and traps Zelda in a magic diamond shaped pink bubble. Why not Link? He'd have them both! Full triforce, instant win. Cause Link's holding the damnable sword, imo. It was the only thing that could, Zelda had a piece of the triforce, lotta good that did her, and just like in aLttP, Link's plot device sword keeps him from gettign totally owned by Ganon.

Then, it gets better, Link runs into Ganon's castle, fights his way to the top of the centre tower, and faces Ganon.. who immediately tries to TK Link. He uses "dark magic" to blast Link, but Link simply braces himself, and is fine, nothing happens. Navi however, can't stand it, she's driven away... Why not Link? Why can he stand up to it? Master sword in his hand, he goes to work.

Here, the mastersword does what it did in aLttP, it reflects Ganon's magical attacks with a touch, and proves to be capable of actually harming the evil King. Post fight, Ganon coughs up blood and admits he lost. then he starts yelling and TK'S THE CASTLE DOWN ONTOP OF HIMSELF. Waitwut? Why not just TK Link? Wierd. Hell, that death cuirse shit he used on the deku tree might have been cool, too.

Anyone else see what I see?

In TP, the sword reappears in it's most recent incarnation, except now we're granted a glimpse of what can happen if Link does not have the sword.. o: And it's not fair.

Zant, with only a fraction of Ganon's power TK's Link and effortlessly defeats him, Midna, and a light spirit without even moving. Then transforms Link into a wolf, permanently. Or something..

vQQ3j_bpDmY

Link is forced to seek out the mastersword, which breaks the curse on Link before he even touches it.

http://i41.tinypic.com/15n6stc.jpg

when Link reaches the end of the game, and fights Ganon.. why doesn't he do this? It's PIS, but the PIS obviously has a swource. (badpunisbad.)

ScreamPaste
I have more n00z. Because the old numbers for the pillar Link threw mathed it as a cylinder rather than as a prism, I remathed it, VERY thoroughly.

My official number I'm sticking with according to an intensive reworking of the numbers for the pillar thrown in OoT is 1384.994 tons, if Link is six feet all. This was worked out to the pixel. no expression This would be the closest bet to how much the stone actually weighed.... But for purposes of being conservative and low-balling, I mathed it thrice.

For the realistic number, I measured the stone to the PIXEL in a screenshot using Link as a measuring tool, and assumed he's 6' tall. The pillar came out 18.9 feet in diameter from opposite corners, and because I couldn't get the entire stone in the picture, I undercut the height and made it 60 feet YNKPIOelTgA If a human can do it, by extension a superhuman majora with forty foot prehensile super whips can freakin' do it, and better. D:<!

Thus Link's reflexes are established, and his strength numbers are more polished than before.

NemeBro
When you look at that, do you actually think the whip itself is going faster than sound?

And Majora's "whips" are more like big friggin ropes.

ScreamPaste
Every crack is a sonic boom, so.. yep.

Obviously it's not between cracks, but each time he cracks it the tip accelerates beyond the sound barrier.

NemeBro
the tip accelerates beyond the sound barrier. The tip.

You dodge the whole motion of the whip, you dodge the tip.

Simple.

ScreamPaste
1. Easier said than done.

2. The tip of a forty foot whip is relatively large.

First_Tsurugi06
Originally posted by Nactous
That's it, I'm bringing Jlrtenjac in here!!

Yeah...I'll take that as your concession.

NemeBro
1. Easier said than done.

2. The tip of a forty foot whip is relatively large. 1. Not really considering how slowly a forty foot, thick rope is swung.

2. "Relatively" being the key-word. Stay out of range, or avoid the whole rope altogether, and you avoid the tip.

ScreamPaste
Not really, a whip can be cracked at any timr, and Link could not get out of range, and it's not a rope. As soon as the whip is cracked, the tip breaks the sound barrier, this is the attack, not the extension. no expression This is what proves Link's reflexes, as evidenced by the video above, you can't dodge-preemptively if you're still in range.

The current world record for most whip cracks in a single minute is 420.

LLLLLink
Top of the list, bitches. Mad respect for Link.

Darth Jello
Just to be a dick, to which Link is this thread referring to?

First_Tsurugi06
...That's not funny no expression sad

Darth Jello
The funnier answer would have been, "the green, left-handed one".

MadMel
really? better kick out the wii twilight princess version then stick out tongue

ScreamPaste
Do not speak of right-handed Link to me D:<

NemeBro
Right handed Link only sucks because it lowered Ganondorf to the level of a left handed person. Gay.

ScreamPaste
Lefties > you.

Darth Jello
Now that Fender and Eastwood have gotten sucker, Nintendo feels like the most lefty friendly large company. Link, Pit, and maybe Samus make me feel accepted every time I think back to embarrassingly smudging writing on a chalkboard or freaking out a girl I was making out with by being on the wrong side of the couch.

God_Kratos
yeah i like LINK he's have guts and he's not evil he fights for the goo of hyrule

God_Kratos
my favorite soul calibur game was with him in SC2. man the guy fights well and i like a lot LINK

Darth Jello
My favorite Link so far was the one from Twilight Princess, Link's Crossbow Training, and Smash Bros. Brawl.

He seems like a much darker, more serious and mature Link than the others and so far has been the most proficient and brutal swordsman out of all of them.

LLLLLink
I like HoT Adult Link he best. He has a face that says "I have no feelings. I am only pure justice in the form of a badass."

Cyner
ALttP Link is a pretty cool guy, has pink hair and doesn't afraid of TrueForce Ganon.

Q'Anilia
My favorite Link was Link in the first game. He was uncomplicated, likable and the birth of a classic.

ScreamPaste
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/ShinTwist_ScreamPaste/classicLink.jpg
Classic Link = Awesome.
(Image may or may not be stolen from Cyner, who may or may not have stolen it from the 1980's game manual, which may or may not be poorly translated.)

My personal favourite is OoT Link.
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/link-fighting-stance-artwork-zelda-ocarina-of-time-big.jpg
His life gets pretty wrecked in a real hurry, twice. But he keeps on saving people anyway. Most people would have just let Hyrule or Termina burn at that point.

FinalAnswer
My favorie Link is from the CD-I games

http://www.quebecgamers.com/impressions/cdi/faces_of_evil/animation_debut2.jpg

ScreamPaste
DOESN'T COUNT. D: CD-i is even less canon than the cartoon!

MooCowofJustice
I must agree with Cyner in that ALttP Link is a pretty cool guy. Has pink hair and doesn't afraid of Trueforce Ganon.

Has the most win items, too.

Burning thought
Hes my favourite too, he can defeat the strongest entity out of all the characters the links face with shafts of silver fired from a bow.

ScreamPaste
Don't troll respect threads.

Burning thought
erm ok I wont......

Trowl
I never really saw any cannons in CD-i.

LLLLLink
Young Link was the most badass of them all.
It takes iron nuts for a 10 year old (give or take) to tell Ganondorf to go screw himself and take a blast to the chest even though he knew he didn't stand a chance.

Heythere,Honey
This lollovelinkclub business is pretty neat. I even made a sig for it wink

MooCowofJustice
If I may make a suggestion, you should design a universal signature we can all use. But it can't just have Link, it has to have a bunch of different Zelda character. Since, if you like any Zelda character, it is likely that you lick Link's ass.

ScreamPaste
That is a pretty l33t sig.

FWahMaN
Can I use that sig? Meh, I'll try it anyway.

-Edit- guess he can only use it...

FWahMaN
...how do I remove it. It looks like the only way is to upload another image...but all other images on this computer are too big. sad

I DONT WANT TO BE PART OF THE GROUP!!

I made a mistake. I'm part of the NamcoNoezNoBoundsClub (NNNBC)

LLLLLink
I want a Adult Hero of Time version of that sig.

FWahMaN
I'm still stuck with this shit.

Oh well.

ScreamPaste
Here, FWahMan.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/ShinTwist_ScreamPaste/NNNBC.jpg
Replace it with this.

Edit: Crap, meant to save as a .png

FWahMaN
ok, ill wait for the fixed one

Heythere,Honey
Originally posted by LLLLLink
I want a Adult Hero of Time version of that sig.
I'll try to make one with AHoT when I get some moar free time.

LLLLLink
Originally posted by Heythere,Honey
I'll try to make one with AHoT when I get some moar free time.

Sweet. I'll be looking forward to it.

FWahMaN
ScreamPaste?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.