The Dragons of Middle Earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lethal Rogue
I made this thread to talk about the dragons from middle earth. Here are some of my questions.

I read somewhere that smaug was the last dragon of middle-earth. Were there dragons in the silmarillion, because i still haven't read that. and also, if smaug was the last dragon, what do the nazgul ride?

tulakhordpwns
Yes, there were dragons in the Silmarillion. Glaurung is the only one to play a major role, but in many of the battles it is mentioned that dragons participated in the fighting.

In the movies the things the nazgul fly on are called 'fell beasts', but in the books 'fell beast' was a more general term. I am not sure if they were ever given a specific name in the books.

Lethal Rogue
they sure look a lot like dragons.

Mairuzu
Must be some very small dragons then... only similarity were that they could fly, they didnt even breathe our fire

Lethal Rogue
dragons dont hav 2 breath fire...

Silent Guardian
Originally posted by Lethal Rogue
I made this thread to talk about the dragons from middle earth. Here are some of my questions.

I read somewhere that smaug was the last dragon of middle-earth. Were there dragons in the silmarillion, because i still haven't read that. and also, if smaug was the last dragon, what do the nazgul ride?

Good luck reading the Silmarilion. I tried it is so detailed and confusing I just lost interest. I read the Hobbit and TLOTR trilogy, loved them all, but the Silmarilion was to much. Just ask someone who read it to summarize it for you or read the wikipedia page.

Incanus
Ok, so I did manage to keep concentrating on the Silmarillion, so the fell beasts, are in my opinion in fact Cold Winged Drakes, if they existed. The Cold Drakes were deadlier in meelee combat then regular drakes/dragons, as they had thicker skin and stuff, at the expense of breathing either fire or lightning.

Morgromir
okay heres how it is smaug is a true dragon of the north fellbeasts are wyrms a subdivision of dragons

ares834
Originally posted by Incanus
Ok, so I did manage to keep concentrating on the Silmarillion, so the fell beasts, are in my opinion in fact Cold Winged Drakes, if they existed. The Cold Drakes were deadlier in meelee combat then regular drakes/dragons, as they had thicker skin and stuff, at the expense of breathing either fire or lightning.
Fell beasts arn't cold drakes... They were more similar to a featherless vulture than a dragon. And that "thicker skin" bullcrap is never stated in the books.

Morgromir
what would solve all of these questions was if tolkien was still alive no one could argue with him

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.