Slumdog Millionaire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quincy
AIzbwV7on6Q

Danny Boyle's latest picture has received some raving reviews, and I'm interested in seeing this movie. Here's the plot as copied from IMDB:

"The story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Each chapter of Jamal's increasingly layered story reveals where he learned the answers to the show's seemingly impossible quizzes. But one question remains a mystery: what is this young man with no apparent desire for riches really doing on the game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out. At the heart of its storytelling lies the question of how anyone comes to know the things they know about life and love."

MildPossession
It's on my must see list of 2008. I'm there for any Boyle film.

jaden101
Yeah i've been keeping an eye on this for quite a while...Boyle and Shane Meadows are probably the only 2 directors that i've loved all their films

BackFire
Seeing it tonight, can't wait. Looks marvelous.

SnakeEyes
I've also been wanting to see this for some time now. I like Danny Boyle, and critical reception for this film's been great. Unfortunately, most of my friends have mediocre taste in film and would rather see things like Harry Potter, etc.

BackFire
Beautiful film. Really really moving.

Robtard
Downloaded it today; will watch tonight. Looks interesting.

MaryPoppins
looks interesting.

Prince Nauj
saw it today. liked it. smile

fruits
Really good. Will probably win Best Picture in my opinion. It's already won something like 13 different critic's awards, so it's coming in with the most momentum

Very good film. Incredible story and visually it was great. I gave it a 9.5

SnakeEyes
Enjoyed this film a lot! Didn't think I'd get the chance to see it in theaters, but fortunately I did. Easily one of my favorite films of '08.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BackFire
Seeing it tonight, can't wait. Looks marvelous.

Don't take this the wrong way Backfire but marvelous...,marvelous sounds so gay coming from you. I really don't know why but i've noticed this a few times over my time here on KMC. Maybe it's because marvelous is naturally a gay sounding word, like fierce or fabulous but you should really stop using it because it really clashes with your leatherface avatar. At first i thought it added to it, kind of like how Buffalo Bill was gay while being a psycho but yeah, no it's bringing you down, partner.

jaden101
Yeah...we'd much rather have a coniving Mr Burns style "excellent"...not to be confused the retarded Bill and Ted "excellent"

Movie tragic
Can't wait to see this rolling on floor laughing

BruceSkywalker
I have seen this and loved it..

talented cast and definitely oscar worthy

jaden101
Absolutely superb...

jinXed by JaNx
Dammit, i wasn't expecting the movie that i just saw. I was expecting some well made lighthearted movie. Wow, was i blown away with this movie.

Recently i just saw The Wrestler and Pride and Glory. I don't know what everyone else was on but i found that Pride and Glory was a very good movie. Along with the Curious case of Benjamin Button i didn't think 2008 had anything left in it's bag. After seeing Slumdog, however, i have to break out that special reserved word. Now i know it might be a bit hasty but from the fulfillment that the movie gave me i have to say...,"excellent". Slumdog is an excellent movie on all fronts. It is even the most visually appealing movie that i have seen this year.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by jaden101
Yeah...we'd much rather have a coniving Mr Burns style "excellent"...not to be confused the retarded Bill and Ted "excellent"

wink

krisha1
The scenes in the Mumbai slums are excellent, like an Indian "City of God", but the clumsy flashback structure robbed the movie of any real suspense and that whole "she is my destiny" thing is pure corn. It was kind of fun to watch but it didn't really stay with me afterwards.

krisha1
I just watched it last night, I remember when,someone said,when they found D.B.Coopers friend and the cell phone.... 'I'm going to call someone....' and then, the other one says:Who ya gonna call?Ghostbusters? big grin

liebe911
This movie is also One of the Movies in my list , since I belong to India I would like to watch this movie.

Howard Beale
Disappointing. No other word for it. A fine movie on all accounts, very visually appealing in many ways, but the light handle of dark topics made the whole film off-kilter and rather silly. In addition the ending was absolutely and ridiculously tact on. Happy ever after made no sense considering the rest of the film and seemed like a manipulative attempt to fool the audience into thinking they watched a happy go lucky film not a disaster ridden film.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Howard Beale
Happy ever after made no sense considering the rest of the film and seemed like a manipulative attempt to fool the audience into thinking they watched a happy go lucky film not a disaster ridden film.

"Disaster ridden film," come on. Seems like you're just bitter that the film wasn't depressing, which would be more of a personal problem than a flaw in the movie.

Howard Beale
bitter that it wasn't depressing? Ha I though i was bitter that it was. I just don't think it fit is all, it was very dark all throughout but refused to admit to its dark tone anyway. I'm not saying it was bad I was just disappointed with all the hype.

SnakeEyes
Honestly, if you thought this movie was "very dark," maybe you should go back and watch Finding Nemo, although that movie has it's scary moments, so be careful. Also, all the hype claimed that Slumdog was an uplifting, heartwarming film, which it was.

rhosze
There wasn't a light handle on dark topics. It was appropriately serious at the parts where it demanded seriousness. Having a hopeful protagonist does not have anything to do with the portrayal of its 'dark topics'. Furthermore, the film was more realistic than dark.

Howard Beale
it had its light moments but let us review, kid's mom gets killed by muslim haters, kid has to escape them, joins a group only to have to run to escape losing his eyes, goes back and his brother becomes a murder, his brother steals and rapes his love, love and brother became intertwined in gang, has to run again but this time all alone. When finally finds love she is being controlled by gang leader. He gets on the show and is brutally tortured for being lucky, or having destiny or whatever, and the only reason he lives ever after is because his brother sacrifices himself.
That's happy and uplifting? The ending was not the only part of the film, so even though those 30 seconds were definitely happy, and a few other moments as well, this overall was a pretty dark story told through an unevenly light filter.
I love dark movies don't get me wrong, No Country for Old Men is my favorite film of all time, I'm just saying this was unbalanced in its light approach of dark topics.

jaden101
I find that criticism a bit odd given that you list In Bruges as in your signature as, what i can only presume, are your favourite films of the last year. It too dealt with a dark subject matter and did so in an even more humourous and light way than Slumdog Millionaire did.

Howard Beale
Originally posted by jaden101
I find that criticism a bit odd given that you list In Bruges as in your signature as, what i can only presume, are your favourite films of the last year. It too dealt with a dark subject matter and did so in an even more humourous and light way than Slumdog Millionaire did.

hmm fair point but I think the difference is I like the manner that took up. In Bruges was clearly a light hearted film that wasn't too concerned with the dramatic and dark material. I found Slumdog struggled to find that balance and never did. That's just IMO, I can see how someone would love this film, and can see why it received the oscar buzz I just don't enjoy it as much.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Howard Beale
hmm fair point but I think the difference is I like the manner that took up. In Bruges was clearly a light hearted film that wasn't too concerned with the dramatic and dark material. I found Slumdog struggled to find that balance and never did. That's just IMO, I can see how someone would love this film, and can see why it received the oscar buzz I just don't enjoy it as much.

Wow...,In Bruges was a lighthearted film? We must have watched two different movies. In Bruges was a very black comedy. Lighthearted is not a word i would use to describe In Bruges. I also wouldn't use the word to describe Slumdog Millionaire. I can understand your perspective on Slumdog and i think what you took away from the movie was a risk that Danny Boyle gambled against. I do not believe that he wanted to convey a depressing message or atmosphere but those elements are definitely apparent and even though the general consensus is that the movie is uplifting and inspiring your perspective isn't wrong. In fact it is greatly reinforced by some of the movie's content.

I do have to disagree with you when you say that the movie was somewhat compromised by clumsy flashbacks. The flashback sequences were implemented and edited into the movie near seamlessly. The movie was designed around telling the story through flashbacks. It isn't as though it was a decision made on the cutting room floor to cut the movie that way. The story and pacing was constructed around the flashback sequences.

Personally, i didn't get any sense of depression. It was a realistic story that culminated into a fantastical and cliche ending but that is why the movie works. The tone of most movies of this kind are determined by the films ending and message. I didn't see the death of Jamals mother depressing or shocking but rather a tragic event that happened to him. Now, perhaps if the movie had been told in a linear fashion it would have had a depressing impact but it was merely a memory being had by a grown man. A memory that was being recalled to explain how he knew the answer to a question.

The entire movie revolved around destiny. Why Jamals destiny turned out how it did could be debated many different ways but as for his brothers destiny, well that was very clearly explained by his decisions. Salims choice of redemption came with a price. By choosing to do what he did he gave his brother and Latika a future. His choice gave his heart rest as well as allowing Jamals destiny to come to fruition. So, i didn't find his death depressing at all, i found it to be a beautiful gesture as well as justified. I'm not trying to prove your views wrong. I am just sharing my opinions because i can certainly see how you came to the conclusions that you did.

Howard Beale
well thank you for the respectful way of putting it. We're all entitled to our opinions and I would never try to disprove anyone else's I am simply enforcing mine. We'll chalk it up to this, there were many flaws to this film, however that happens in almost every movie ever, normally I would be saying don't worry about these flaws, and that this is a great film. The reason I gave this a weak 8 instead of a strong 9.5 is....I'm not sure to be honest. I often overlook all the flaws that I whine about in this film. So in the end I guess I just didn't like it as much. I would have to watch again to be able to touch further on why, all I know is it just didn't hit the nerve with me it has with everyone else.

HammyTyme
Whats the fascination with this movie? And if Bollywood weren't such a huge money making market for Hollywood, would this movie have gotten any attention?

------------------

Howard Beale
I agree, this was just such an over-hyped moderately good film. Personally I found it good to the core, and never even close to fantastic. The bollywood aspect is mostly just manipulation and the "happy ever after" feel is silly. I hope BB finds a way to beat out SM for BP or I will be very upset with the oscars this year.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by HammyTyme
Whats the fascination with this movie?

It was one of the best films of '08. There. There's the fascination, it's that simple.

Lord S
^^^
I agree

chadbang
I thought it was very good, but still it didn't propel me into a rave, you-must-see-mode. Honestly, I thought Danny Boyle would have been capable of more (maybe, Trainspotting aside). There were parts that made me feel I was watching a so-so foreign film, they were so roughly hewn. The flashbacks were a pretty clumsy affair. Maybe that was intentional, to capture the spirit of Bollywood quickies, but paying homage to amateurism doesnt make for a classic. I didnt think it approached the real poignancy of Salaam Bombay or absolute brilliance of City of God. And hanging the plot around "Who wants to be a Millionaire' constitutes a bit of a low-brow thrill. But the cast was excellent, and I was glad I watched it, and I suppose that's good enough.

liebe911
It may be difficult for people to understand the movie, who does not know a bit about India and its people. Yes and about Bollywood endings its so funny like "Then they lived happily ever" Oh....

HammyTyme
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
It was one of the best films of '08. There. There's the fascination, it's that simple.

Thats your opinion. Doesn't mean I am any less wrong with my assumption

HammyTyme
Originally posted by liebe911
It may be difficult for people to understand the movie, who does not know a bit about India and its people. Yes and about Bollywood endings its so funny like "Then they lived happily ever" Oh....

I dont think I need to know anything about India or its people to grasp the content of the movie.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by HammyTyme
Thats your opinion. Doesn't mean I am any less wrong with my assumption

It's the shared opinion of the majority of critics and moviegoers alike. It should be obvious to see why people are fascinated by one of the most well-recieved films of the past year. People that have seen Slumdog Millionaire (as a whole) enjoyed it, therefore people who have not seen it will have the desire to do so.

This really isn't rocket science.

Howard Beale
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
It's the shared opinion of the majority of critics and moviegoers alike. It should be obvious to see why people are fascinated by one of the most well-recieved films of the past year. People that have seen Slumdog Millionaire (as a whole) enjoyed it, therefore people who have not seen it will have the desire to do so.

This really isn't rocket science.

The question is why these people are spreading such positive WOM though. Personally I don't get it, it was a fine movie, sure, but it wasn't any better than other depressing depictions of stark reality, and actually worse due to the false and cheesy tacked on ending.

SnakeEyes
The point of the film was that, even under such harsh conditions, someone with the drive to do so can succeed/prosper/attain happiness. You really percieved it the wrong way. The focus of the film wasn't the "depressing depiction of stark reality." The poverty, hardships, etc. weren't meant to be the POINT of the movie. It was essentially a love story about a very determined young man. In addition to this, I personally thought the style of the film was very refreshing; Danny Boyle utilized a fairly new type of digital camera to film this movie that was very portable, allowing for the cool shots and overall unique look of the film. Add to that an intriguing story, interesting characters and really a great soundtrack.

To call the ending false is pretentious and makes you sound like a douche, imho. The fact that you took the film as a depressing depiction of reality demonstrates that you simply misinterpreted the movie. The ending wasn't "false," it is you who are false, sir.

HammyTyme
It's the shared opinion of the majority of critics and THE moviegoers alike WHO HAVE WANTED TO SEE IT .

SnakeEyes
Read my previous posts. Basically you're asking WHY people like this movie; I gave my reasons above. I don't know if you expect a universal answer as to why this movie is well-liked or what. Seems pretty pointless. When is there ever a universal answer to why people enjoy certain films. People have their own reasons, why don't you go see the film yourself and form your own opinion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.