The Clone Wars (Fake or Real)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MasterAshenVor
Ok here is what iv been thinking about.

Were the Clone Wars FAKE? was Palpatine's Sway over the war so great that he rigged the CIS Side to fail.

or was it all just that the Clones were Better and had Better Commanders then the Sep's Battledroids and Commanders?

This is just something i'v just been thinking about so any input would be nice.

THANKS FOR READING!

Lord Lucien
He orchestrated the war from the get-go and deliberately planned on the Clones winning. If they didn't, how was he gonna execute Order 66 with a bunch of dead Clones?

Captain REX
Indeed, the Republic was always going to win, if everything went according to Palpatine's plan, which it did.

Allankles
Originally posted by MasterAshenVor

Were the Clone Wars FAKE? was Palpatine's Sway over the war so great that he rigged the CIS Side to fail.

or was it all just that the Clones were Better and had Better Commanders then the Sep's Battledroids and Commanders?

THANKS FOR READING!

The clone wars was engineered to destroy the Jedi. What the war did was thin out the Jedi ranks. Order 66 was just a fail safe IMO for if/when the Jedi found out his secret.

So the heroics of the war heroes was very much real, Palpy's plans could have come undone at different points, in Episode 1 on Naboo, in Labyrinth of Evil Mace Windu came close to discovering Palpy's secret Sith lair on Coruscant which would have exposed him too soon and of course in Episode 3 if Anakin had been wiser to his manipulations or if Yoda hadn't been unfortunate to fall off the pod.

The CIS did their job but if not for Anakin would have continued to be a problem for Palpy if Anakin hadn't become his apprentice at a convenient time for him (the Jedi were about to arrest him).

Basically the CIS were the primary Jedi killers. He knew they were powerful enough to maintain their war machine for years. Failing that he installed order 66 to effectively disable the Jedi if the CIS hadn't completed the job at an appopriate time.

He also liked the CIS because they could be disbanded very easily as most of their martial power was controlled by a few organic sapients.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Allankles
The clone wars was engineered to destroy the Jedi. What the war did was thin out the Jedi ranks. Order 66 was just a fail safe IMO for if/when the Jedi found out his secret.

So the heroics of the war heroes was very much real, Palpy's plans could have come undone at different points, in Episode 1 on Naboo, in Labyrinth of Evil Mace Windu came close to discovering Palpy's secret Sith lair on Coruscant which would have exposed him too soon and of course in Episode 3 if Anakin had been wiser to his manipulations or if Yoda hadn't been unfortunate to fall off the pod.

The CIS did their job but if not for Anakin would have continued to be a problem for Palpy if Anakin hadn't become his apprentice at a convenient time for him (the Jedi were about to arrest him).

Basically the CIS were the primary Jedi killers. He knew they were powerful enough to maintain their war machine for years. Failing that he installed order 66 to effectively disable the Jedi if the CIS hadn't completed the job at an appopriate time.

He also liked the CIS because they could be disbanded very easily as most of their martial power was controlled by a few organic sapients. In essence I think you're right, but I don't think Palpatine ever planned on the CIS winning. They were a brilliant creation to stir the galactic populace into a pro-Palpatine attitude, making the transition into a Sith-ruled empire all the easier and of course, to kill as many Jedi as possible. They were also a great excuse to create a military unheard of, the purpose of which to help Palpatine solidify power. Also, wasn't the fight between Anakin and Dooku on the Invisible Hand meant to decide for Palpatine which would become/stay his apprentice?

sweersa

Yes it is fake, remember it is EU....oh wait...sorry guys I forgot I stumbled in here.

The Nightmare Never Ends.

Hahaha.

Allankles
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
In essence I think you're right, but I don't think Palpatine ever planned on the CIS winning. They were a brilliant creation to stir the galactic populace into a pro-Palpatine attitude, making the transition into a Sith-ruled empire all the easier and of course, to kill as many Jedi as possible. They were also a great excuse to create a military unheard of, the purpose of which to help Palpatine solidify power.

Yes I know all about the other benefits it was a win win for Palpatine on many fronts, but primarily he effectively dealt with the Jedi who were (in reality) his primary hindrance. Yes he intended the CIS to lose but if not for the Jedi heroics and tactics during that war the CIS would have found more success and they would have made things a lot more complicated for Sidious.

Also, wasn't the fight between Anakin and Dooku on the Invisible Hand meant to decide for Palpatine which would become/stay his apprentice?

It was, but Anakin didn't know that and the decision to be Sidious' apprentice was ultimately his alone to make. If he had sided with his conscience Palpy would have had big problems in the shape of Mace Windu's lightsaber.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by sweersa
Yes it is fake, remember it is EU....oh wait...sorry guys I forgot I stumbled in here.

The Nightmare Never Ends.

Hahaha.

reported.

Ordo
The War was real. The clones were just a tool to get rid of the Jedi, moreso than to get rid of the Seperatists.

Then again, the Jedi sold themselves to the devil, so you can't really have much sympathy for them.

CLONES RULE.

Gideon
If one takes a comprehensive look at canon, one can easily discern that Palpatine never intended for the Confederacy to "win" the war; the entire conflict was a sham, a joke, "the perfect Jedi trap" according to Matthew Stover's novelization -- "by fighting at all, the Jedi lost." From day one, what set Palpatine apart from warlords like Revan and Naga Sadow and Kaan was that Palpatine rightly understood the power and usefulness of legitimacy. The Confederacy wasn't a legitimate government, it was (again in the words of Stover) "an outlaw nation" created only to disperse the Jedi and weaken the Republic's resolve, to ready the galaxy for Palpatine's rule.

As far as the duel between Dooku and Anakin is concerned, yes, Palpatine was going to test Anakin's ability and willingness to join the dark side. If he failed, he would have ordered Dooku to kill Anakin and they would have likely continued with their plan for Dooku to surrender to the Jedi, pin the brunt of the Confederacy's atrocities on Grievous, and execute Order 66 anyways.

Cpt. Valerian
Except by the fact that Dooku would have failed miserably in his attempt to kill Anakin, and maybe Palpatine would've been forced to kill Anakin himself.

Ordo
Sorry Gideon, that sounds like BS. Palpatine isn't dumb.

Using CANON as my basis:

Palpatine told anakin he was "the most gifted Jedi he had ever met." I'm guessing he know Anakin would dispose of Dooku for him...especially with Obi-Wan there.

I'm guessing he just wanted to push Anakin to the darkside be reopening his wounds with Dooku, just like he did by pushign the sandpeople incident, his mother, his realtionship with the Jedi, and his relationship with Padme. Everyhting he did was to trap Anakin and destabilize him. Pitting him against Dooku was likely no different.

Publius II
What are you talking about? Dooku did fail to kill Anakin; that'd be when he lost his head.

Cpt. Valerian
Yes, I know, but Gideon put a different 'If' scenario.

Ordo, Palpatine didn't know if he would be able to turn Anakin. He strongly believed so, yes, because he knew (considering Anakin's character and personality) his chances were extremely high. He did everything he could to turn him, and it worked. But it wasn't definite. Although, It probably was about 95% possible he would turn, there were still chances against it. Unless, he could see it coming, somehow.

In a different scenario, if Palpatine had not been able to turn Anakin to the dark side, his original plan would've still followed its original course.

Final Blaxican
Exactly.

Sideous would never pu tall of his eggs in one basket. Not even two baskets. Minus Yoda and arguably Mace, no one in the Jedi Order was strong enough to take down Dooku, and the Clones still under Sideous' control. Dooku could have easily done everything Anakin did with an army of clones at his backing.

Cpt. Valerian
Slightly edited.

Publius II
GL actually said otherwise; that if Anakin failed to kill Dooku, Palpatine would let him go and wait until he was stronger. I'll try to find the quote.

But at no point was Palpatine ever willing to give up Anakin, who was a quarter Dooku's age and had probably had near triple the Force-potential.

Cpt. Valerian
Of course he wasn't ever willing to give him up, but that doesn't mean he would have undoubtedly and unquestionably succeeded in turning him. But, as I said before, his chances were ****ing phenomenal.

And, we weren't talking about an 'Anakin failing to kill Dooku' scenario.. At least I wasn't.

Gideon
Palpatine tells Dooku at the end of LoE that Skywalker "may never be ready," and flat out tells Vader himself in RoDV that if Count Dooku had been stronger in the dark side, Vader would be dead and the Count would be at his right hand.

CANON makes it very clear: Palpatine is willing to kill or let go of those whom he deems either too weak or unwilling to serve him. You do all remember a little movie called RotJ right?

I seem to recall the protagonist -- Palpatine's much sought after prize -- found himself on his ass being electrocuted to death after telling the Emperor "no."

If Anakin failed to defeat Dooku or was unwilling to convert, Palpatine would have likely disposed of him. In fact, nothing suggests that he wouldn't have, potential be damned.

Publius II
We can thank Advent and my absurdly awesome search skills for this:

That's fairly conclusive. GL > C-Canon.

The rest may not be, but this is certainly correct. It was my never my contention that if Palpatine couldn't have Anakin, he would still be unwilling to lose him. That would be why he decided to destroy Luke, as you pointed out.

Cpt. Valerian
Originally posted by Gideon

If Anakin failed to defeat Dooku or was unwilling to convert, Palpatine would have likely disposed of him. In fact, nothing suggests that he wouldn't have, potential be damned.

My thought, precisely.

Publius II
Way to jump my post, Val. You have failed me for the second-to-last time.

*slaps*

Allankles
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Exactly.

Sideous would never pu tall of his eggs in one basket. Not even two baskets. Minus Yoda and arguably Mace, no one in the Jedi Order was strong enough to take down Dooku, and the Clones still under Sideous' control. Dooku could have easily done everything Anakin did with an army of clones at his backing.

People are talking about the part of Sidious' plan that was easily recoverable: Anakin failing to kill Dooku for instance. What about the part that would have been potentially fatal for Sidious? You know, the part where Anakin betrays Mace? If Anakin had sided with his consciense there, Palpy would have been screwed.

Lord Lucien
People are talking about the part of Sidious' plan that was easily recoverable: Anakin failing to kill Dooku for instance. What about the part that would have been potentially fatal for Sidious? You know, the part where Anakin betrays Mace? If Anakin had sided with his consciense there, Palpy would have been screwed. Yes, but then there's the argument that Palpatine did not intend for Mace to put him in such a potentially fatal situation.

Allankles
Yes, but then there's the argument that Palpatine did not intend for Mace to put him in such a potentially fatal situation.

Precisely which further re-enforces the fact that Anakin's involvement played a huge part in his success, both in his role as inspirational figure head and war hero during the conflict and his betrayal of Mace which allowed for the CIS and temple Jedi to be eliminated at an ideal moment helping open up the smooth transition of Republic to Empire.

Lord Lucien
Precisely which further re-enforces the fact that Anakin's involvement played a huge part in his success, both in his role as inspirational figure head and war hero during the conflict and his betrayal of Mace which allowed for the CIS and temple Jedi to be eliminated at an ideal moment helping open up the smooth transition of Republic to Empire. Doubtless Anakin was extraordinarily useful to Palpatine, moreso than Dooku I reckon. But should Anakin have failed to kill Dooku, Palpatine of all people will have a back-up plan for just such a situation. As it is, he did, but didn't need to use it.

sweersa
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
reported.

Oh noes! I better stay out of here.

Gideon
Originally posted by Publius II
The rest may not be, but this is certainly correct. It was my never my contention that if Palpatine couldn't have Anakin, he would still be unwilling to lose him. That would be why he decided to destroy Luke, as you pointed out.

Which was the entire point of what I said, Faunus. Palpatine tested Dooku against Anakin to see if Anakin displayed the ability and willingness to use the dark side. If he didn't, then as he tells Anakin in RoDV, Dooku would be Sidious's ***** for the next two decades.

Publius II
Which was the entire point of what I said, Faunus. Palpatine tested Dooku against Anakin to see if Anakin displayed the ability and willingness to use the dark side. If he didn't, then as he tells Anakin in RoDV, Dooku would be Sidious's ***** for the next two decades. I thought you meant that had Dooku bested Anakin in their confrontation aboard the Invisible Hand, Palpatine would've had Anakin killed. My mistake.

Lord Lucien
Palps would be a dumbass to do that. And his ass ain't dumb.

Gideon
Palps would be a dumbass to do that. And his ass ain't dumb.

No, but he would be a dumbass to continually pursue an object that rejects him. He's willing to kill Luke more than once; Anakin is no different. I'm sure he'd rather have Dooku than no apprentice at all.

Allankles
Doubtless Anakin was extraordinarily useful to Palpatine, moreso than Dooku I reckon. But should Anakin have failed to kill Dooku, Palpatine of all people will have a back-up plan for just such a situation. As it is, he did, but didn't need to use it.

By: "failed to kill Dooku", do you mean Anakin sparing his life or Dooku winning the battle?

Lord Lucien
By: "failed to kill Dooku", do you mean Anakin sparing his life or Dooku winning the battle? At first I meant being killed by Dooku. But now I wonder what Palpatine would have done had Anakin spared him. Not being able to play on Anakin's guilt towards executing Dooku would be a damper on Palp's plan.

Publius II
That wouldn't be the end of it, obviously; Palpatine would just keep pushing him.

Lord Lucien
Seriously though, if he didn't do it. Had Obi-Wan not been knocked out, what would he have said or done in reaction to what Palpatine demanded? Stopped Anakin by force, by reason? Sat back and sipped iced tea?

Allankles
Seriously though, if he didn't do it. Had Obi-Wan not been knocked out, what would he have said or done in reaction to what Palpatine demanded? Stopped Anakin by force, by reason? Sat back and sipped iced tea?

Dooku would have played a factor there, how would he have reacted to Palpy reneging on his word? It just goes to show no matter how much you do schemes of this magnitude always have big, dangling loose ends.

Gideon
Palpatine would have attempted to engineer events to try again. Or, worst case scenario, he'd have hopped out of that chair and stomped the holy expletive out of all three of them.

Publius II
nuh-uh teh chosen 1 in teh zone + obi 1 would have kicked his ass.

Allankles
Or, worst case scenario, he'd have hopped out of that chair and stomped the holy expletive out of all three of them.

laughing out loud That would have been something to see but Anakin would have been a dangerous opponent to face in that moment, he seemed to be quite balanced unlike in his fight with Obi Wan.

Publius II
Originally posted by Publius II
nuh-uh teh chosen 1 in teh zone + obi 1 would have kicked his ass.

Lord Lucien
laughing out loud That would have been something to see but Anakin would have been a dangerous opponent to face in that moment, he seemed to be quite balanced unlike in his fight with Obi Wan. Don't think that'd help him for long. He'd be unbalanced to see his friend and mentor coming at him with Force Lightning.

Allankles
Don't think that'd help him for long. He'd be unbalanced to see his friend and mentor coming at him with Force Lightning.

Surprise could easily turn to righteous anger for Anakin and if his conscience is not screaming at him he's pretty focused. Whatever the case he's not someone you want to face unprepared.

Gideon
Your point?

Palpatine had been keeping an uncomfortably close eye on Anakin since the boy was nine; it's safe to say that he has, at the very least, minor knowledge of Skywalker's relative abilities. In contrast, Anakin knows next to nothing about Sidious's power in combat. Sidious is the one that a normal person wouldn't want to face unprepared. He'd make quick work of Anakin.

Allankles
Your point?

Palpatine had been keeping an uncomfortably close eye on Anakin since the boy was nine; it's safe to say that he has, at the very least, minor knowledge of Skywalker's relative abilities. In contrast, Anakin knows next to nothing about Sidious's power in combat. Sidious is the one that a normal person wouldn't want to face unprepared. He'd make quick work of Anakin.

Palpatine would hardly have been prepared to have two (potential) apprentices alive at the end of their duel. And yes Palpatine had kept a close eye on Anakin but I doubt, he'd want to risk facing Anakin in a situation like the Invisible Hand.

Not to mention Palpatine knew Anakin's raw talent surpassed his own: in a physical altercation you don't know how that talent will manifest. Remember these are fights to death, not sparring sessions power doesn't always decide the victor because you can't predict every action your opponent will take in a fight.

The Dooku fight is a prime example, the life changing combat experiences during the clone wars (his heroics on Jabiim for example come to mind) had changed him, that together with his talent (creativity & adaptability comes into that as well) allowed him to overcome all the experience, savvy and power Dooku had acquired in his accomplished career, and he did it in no time.

I doubt Palpy would risk taking Anakin on at that juncture. Also remember Palpatine was tied to the seat with metal bands around his wrist. He's need to have been deceitful and blind side Anakin to prevail, not to mention if Dooku reacted negatively to Palpy's instructions to Anakin.... he would lose the element of surprise with force lightning or whatever.

Gideon
This is totally irrelevant. The point is not whether Palpatine would have gotten up out of the chair to kill all three of them (that comment was said in jest). The point is that if he chose to do so, he would more than likely be totally successful.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that only Palpatine has knowledge of Anakin's abilities and capacity for destruction relative to combat; Anakin has no knowledge of Palpatine's abilities -- none. Add to the fact that Palpatine is vastly more powerful than Anakin when it comes to mastery of the Force, and you have a sealed deal for Sidious. And had Dooku chosen to bring his superior Force powers against Anakin, he might have won the duel.

Not that it matters, because Palpatine is considerably more powerful than Dooku himself.

Allankles
This is totally irrelevant. The point is not whether Palpatine would have gotten up out of the chair to kill all three of them (that comment was said in jest). The point is that if he chose to do so, he would more than likely be totally successful.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that only Palpatine has knowledge of Anakin's abilities and capacity for destruction relative to combat; Anakin has no knowledge of Palpatine's abilities -- none. Add to the fact that Palpatine is vastly more powerful than Anakin when it comes to mastery of the Force, and you have a sealed deal for Sidious. And had Dooku chosen to bring his superior Force powers against Anakin, he might have won the duel.

Not that it matters, because Palpatine is considerably more powerful than Dooku himself.

Anakin had more raw power than Palpy or Dooku so I don't think it's so cut and dry. I remember in Labyrnth Dooku making comments about how infuriatingly powerful Anakin had become.

So I doubt Dooku would have tossed Anakin around especially if Anakin applied resistance. From what I gathered from the way Obi Wan matched force pushes with Anakin and even how Yoda with the upper hand got thrown back by the the feedback in his power duel with Palpy it's clear that power in on itself when matched against a force of close to or equal power is likely not going to enough to overcome your opponent.

IMO Anakin was too strong in the force to get manhandled with any kind of ease by Dooku, and among the best of the elites there seems to be a necessity to surprise the opponent in order to be successful with force attacks e.g it was obvious that Dooku caught Obi off guard with the TK attack.

As far as Palpy goes who knows, Galen Marek (though a Gary Stu) demonstrated that force users of exceptional talent can tap into reserves of force power that it takes most, years to tap, so while I'd favor Palpy, if he failed to land a direct hit or was exposed by Dooku things would get hairy for him.

Lord Lucien
What combative Force technique has Anakin done that rivals Dooku? Or for that matter Palpatine? If Palpatine had decided to turn on everyone on the Invisible hand, his speed and the surprise it would initiate would make short work of the ill-prepared and statistically less powerful Dooku and Anakin/Kenobi.

Gideon
Am I to ascertain from this that Anakin's "raw power" will make a difference? Strictly speaking, from a certain perspective, Anakin was always more powerful than Palpatine or Dooku if we (as sources sometimes do) define power based on potential capability or through midichlorians. It's irrelevant; his skill lags virtual miles behind both of those Sith Lords. Consider the source you cited, Labyrinth of Evil: during the raid to capture Nute Gunray, Skywalker infiltrates the Viceroy's redoubt and attempts to use the Force to tear down a door -- he fails to do so and is visibly annoyed at his failure and promptly instructs his clones to blow up the door. Later on in that book, his scream collapses a ceiling.

The point is quite simply that Skywalker has zero control over his powers and possesses an obscenely lackluster knowledge of the Force due to his less-than-scholarly example. While he is occasionally prone to strong demonstrations of raw energy, the vast majority of his feats are simply unremarkable relative to the vast skills of Count Dooku or Darth Sidious.

As far as the statement is concerned, Dooku muses that Anakin could only have grown stronger since their previous duel on Geonosis. Which he had. But he isn't strong enough to threaten Palpatine.

This is flawed. First, there is no indication that Skywalker is anywhere close to Count Dooku in terms of actualized ability; he certainly hasn't demonstrated examples of great Force mastery. Second, the fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi was able to counter a telekinetic assault from Anakin would suggest that the even more powerful Dooku would have had no trouble doing the same thing. Third, this suggests that the two metaphysical attacks meet head on, which is rare. Most of the time, one's opponent's defenses are either breached or they are caught off guard.

I loathe this line of thought. The attack was perfectly legitimate. One could argue that Anakin caught Dooku off guard by grabbing his wrists; one could argue that Mace caught Sidious off guard by kicking him in the face; one could argue that Obi-Wan caught Anakin off guard by dismembering him. Fights are won by attacks that the enemy doesn't expect and therefore cannot evade or counter. Don't go down that road, Allankles. It's a dead end.

Marek was trained in a totally different manner than Anakin. He was trained by Darth Vader, who explicitly utilized brutal methods to push Marek to the very limit; Skywalker, on the other hand, was trained by the relatively defensive and tame Jedi methods. Obi-Wan is a nonfactor; he'd likely get crushed and knocked aside in a nanosecond before Palpatine turned his attention to Dooku and Anakin; Dooku's the only "threat" Force-wise (and that's in its loosest possible sense).

Allankles
Am I to ascertain from this that Anakin's "raw power" will make a difference? Strictly speaking, from a certain perspective, Anakin was always more powerful than Palpatine or Dooku if we (as sources sometimes do) define power based on potential capability or through midichlorians. It's irrelevant; his skill lags virtual miles behind both of those Sith Lords.

I never argued that his force skills were up there mainly that he could tap into his enormous force reserves in desperate situations or situations where he was centred in the force.

Consider the source you cited, Labyrinth of Evil: during the raid to capture Nute Gunray, Skywalker infiltrates the Viceroy's redoubt and attempts to use the Force to tear down a door -- he fails to do so and is visibly annoyed at his failure and promptly instructs his clones to blow up the door. Later on in that book, his scream collapses a ceiling.

Yes a prime example of how he doesn't seem to be able to draw on his full force reserves at will because he lacks the skill of a Master, however when he is more centred or more emotional as he was in the scene where they were cornering Dooku he is able to tap into his raw power. This reminds me of Ganner Rhyshode (sp?) in Traitor when the chips were down he was able to tap into the force in a way he'd never done before. If Palpy attacked Anakin willy nilly on the invisible hand there's no telling how Anakin's talent would manifest.

The point is quite simply that Skywalker has zero control over his powers and possesses an obscenely lackluster knowledge of the Force due to his less-than-scholarly example. While he is occasionally prone to strong demonstrations of raw energy, the vast majority of his feats are simply unremarkable relative to the vast skills of Count Dooku or Darth Sidious.

He doesn't seem to be able to tap into his full power unless he has an emotional crutch; a crutch Dooku provided in their duel and one Palpatine would certainly provide by betraying him on the Invisible Hand. Even Masters can be affected by emotion in their application of the force as Luke muses years later (can't remember the novel) about Yoda's difficulty/effort in trying to lift the X-Wing and that drawing on the cosmic force is not so easy when emotions don't meet the demand of the effort required in that given moment.

As far as the statement is concerned, Dooku muses that Anakin could only have grown stronger since their previous duel on Geonosis. Which he had. But he isn't strong enough to threaten Palpatine.

I agree Anakin would not normally be strong enough but the extremity of the situation could easily change that.

This is flawed. First, there is no indication that Skywalker is anywhere close to Count Dooku in terms of actualized ability; he certainly hasn't demonstrated examples of great Force mastery. Second, the fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi was able to counter a telekinetic assault from Anakin would suggest that the even more powerful Dooku would have had no trouble doing the same thing. Third, this suggests that the two metaphysical attacks meet head on, which is rare. Most of the time, one's opponent's defenses are either breached or they are caught off guard.

I wasn't arguing for Obi Wan's defenses in favour of Anakin over Dooku merely pointing out how Obi Wan handle himself against TK when he was able to mount his own defense.

I loathe this line of thought. The attack was perfectly legitimate. One could argue that Anakin caught Dooku off guard by grabbing his wrists; one could argue that Mace caught Sidious off guard by kicking him in the face; one could argue that Obi-Wan caught Anakin off guard by dismembering him. Fights are won by attacks that the enemy doesn't expect and therefore cannot evade or counter. Don't go down that road, Allankles. It's a dead end.

Same for me. I'm not taking anything away from Dooku, he was stronger than Obi Wan but based on what Windu said about direct TK attacks (something every Jedi is taught how to defend as younglings) it seems quite clear that Obi could have done better if he'd been able to put up his defense. He may or may not have gotten overpowered regardless, but his TK fight with Anakin showed that he was strong enough in that department to resist.

Marek was trained in a totally different manner than Anakin. He was trained by Darth Vader, who explicitly utilized brutal methods to push Marek to the very limit; Skywalker, on the other hand, was trained by the relatively defensive and tame Jedi methods. Obi-Wan is a nonfactor; he'd likely get crushed and knocked aside in a nanosecond before Palpatine turned his attention to Dooku and Anakin; Dooku's the only "threat" Force-wise (and that's in its loosest possible sense).

I know Marek applied the force more aggressively than Anakin but as you said, though Anakin was not quite the offensive force monster Marek was because of his Jedi upbringing, his raw power manifested in more defensive ways. Easily handling the force attacks of Assajj Ventress (for example) with almost the same ease as Dooku.

Darth Sexy
Yes, there is. Anakin would get his ass stomped. You see, Sidious has what the Vong didn't have, and that's force abilities. What Ganner did led to the fact that he wouldn't survive the encounter, nevermind the fact that he was a more experience force user than Anakin. There is nothing suggesting Anakin could do ANYTHING of this nature, especially to force users that are vastly superior to him.

Except again, his emotional power is limited at this point, and at the very least, certainly "blockable" by experienced force users such as Dooku and Sidious.

No, it really can't. For the last time, Dooku and Sidious are vastly superior to him in the force, so no amount of "anger" is going to magically take them down.

Strong enough to resist Anakin's TK considering he had years and years of experience in the force whereas Anakin has had considerably less time, so yes, Anakin's less trained TK abilities would equal Obiwan's more seasoned abilities.

What's your point? Marek was trained for over a decade in how to bring about his raw power as an offensive onslaught. Anakin was not. Marek>Anakin.

Allankles
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Except again, his emotional power is limited at this point, and at the very least, certainly "blockable" by experienced force users such as Dooku and Sidious.

See ROTS and the ROTS novel for reference.

No, it really can't. For the last time, Dooku and Sidious are vastly superior to him in the force, so no amount of "anger" is going to magically take them down.

He took Dooku down because of his greater raw power, he had the greater reserves of power on account of his stronger connection to the force. And Anakin's practiced and focused use of "anger" is what took Dooku down, it's what allowed that raw talent to manifest.

Strong enough to resist Anakin's TK considering he had years and years of experience in the force whereas Anakin has had considerably less time, so yes, Anakin's less trained TK abilities would equal Obiwan's more seasoned abilities.

Where did I say experience wasn't a factor? Point is Anakin was stronger in the force, the difference is Obi Wan was nowhere near as prepared or poised to take Dooku's TK attack. Could he have done the same to Anakin? Maybe, but it's only a maybe at this point, Anakin would not be without his defenses.

What's your point? Marek was trained for over a decade in how to bring about his raw power as an offensive onslaught. Anakin was not. Marek>Anakin.

didn't you see my point? Anakin was trained in a more defensive application of the force, his raw power manifested in a more defensive way defeating Asajj Ventress early in the clone wars by blocking and deflecting her attacks with the same ease Dooku demonstrated.

Just because Jedi don't spam force lightning doesn't mean they are less potent, you should know that as a SW fan.

Gideon
See, I don't really know what you're trying to argue. If it's trying to make an argument where Anakin could defeat the Chancellor, you really don't have a leg to stand on. Palpatine would annihilate him.

sweersa
See, I don't really know what you're trying to argue. If it's trying to make an argument where Anakin could defeat the Chancellor, you really don't have a leg to stand on. Palpatine would annihilate him.

I agree, Anakin has potential to become more powerful than him but he wasn't at that level in ROTS and he lost the opportunity when he nearly died at the hands of his master.

TheEskimo
I wouldn't say the war was fake, it was orchestrated.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by sweersa
I agree, Anakin has potential to become more powerful than him but he wasn't at that level in ROTS and he lost the opportunity when he nearly died at the hands of his master. Technically former master, but there's no time for semantics now--we've got a race to win! Onwards Felicity!

sweersa
Technically former master, but there's no time for semantics now--we've got a race to win! Onwards Felicity!

Right, and he wasn't Anakin at that point in a way.

CadoAngelus

THANKS FOR READING!

Yes! Everything you see palpatine doing and saying is all part of his master scheme.

He orchestrated the war from the get-go and deliberately planned on the Clones winning. If they didn't, how was he gonna execute Order 66 with a bunch of dead Clones?

I totally agree with this, but i believe his plan started from episode 1. Qui-Gon finding anakin (a child concieve through the force), a coinsidence? i think no. though there is speculation that either Palpatine himself or his master Plagus manipulated the force to create anakin (but thats a different discussion).

Anakin becoming a powerful jedi, and befriending palpatine (wow, how convienient) lol. Palpatine pushing anakin towards arrogence, saying his a great jedi and should be a master. Then the clone wars, a convieniently dead jedi orders the creation of a clone army (and dies, of course) the jedi find out about this and take the clones to become a grand army of the republic, palpatine becomes the chancellor and therefore has control over the army indirectly.

So, palpatine's currently pulling the puppet strings on both sides, so either way he has a winning side, regardless of whether his force manipulation over the war turned out the way he expected (sort of a back up plan, ditch the republic, rule of the galaxy as a sith facist dictator ). As he's the dark lord of the sith he's obviously not gonna want jedi dancing around in his empire, so he creates an order , whereby on his command, the jedi are disposed of. Now, with his power of the darkside he's able to cloud the foreseeable future to the jedi (as yoda suggests).

With this, he's got a jedi holocaust at his finger tips. So he places obsticals in the way of the republic to make it look like the seperatists are the enemy, dooku, ventress, droid army, grevious etc. As the war comes to its final years/months/weeks etc, he reveals himself to anakin (a confused/arrogent jedi who's friends with: the dark lord of the sith). anakin tells the jedi, the jedi walk into a red lightsaber and die, anakin faces a moral dilema (kill or be killed).

of course, palpatine would have known at some point that the jedi would find out about his secret identity, which he uses as a stage to get the senate to agree to the idea of a galactic empire. he orders the genocide of the jedi to pose no threat, the jedi die or become recluse, palpatine eventually liquidizes the sentate, becomes grand ruler of the galaxy, and has the largest army in the known galaxy to which no one would go against him. the only thing that palpatine didnt plan (i believe) was anakins legacy. luke tipped the balance, confused vaders moral judgement, then when palpatine thought he'd got a loyal and trusting appretice that would help him turn luke to the dark side, vaders conscience came back and he redeemed himself, killing palpatine.

now, palpatine may not have seen his demise in those particular circumstances, but he obviously did see an eventual demise, because (in the extended universe) he creates clones of himself for his force ghost/presence to embody...interesting huh...

Lord Lucien
Palpatine most certainly planned as early as TPM. Not long after, Dooku left the Order and Sifo-Dyas met his end.

mattatom
Palpatine most certainly planned as early as TPM. Not long after, Dooku left the Order and Sifo-Dyas met his end.

Indeed. Most (I think) of what Palpatine has planned is summed up in LoE haven't read it though, so I can't be sure.

DarthLazious
The Clone Wars were fake so Palpatine could take control of the Galaxy and create The Empire.

Lord Lucien
Yes, we ALL know that.

Slash_KMC
I do not mean to be condescending, but stating the obvious isn't flattering. People here seem to do it more and more.

Only I can do it.

Spudman43
It's good of Lord Lucien to note that the Clone Wars started in TPM. Maul, had Obi-Wan not killed him, would've been the apprentice of Palpy long into the saga. The clones are obviously a tool and the Confederacy was a lame excuse for Palpy to get the materials from the Techno Union, Trade Federation, and stuff like that. Without those morons to join him, ther'd be no war anyway cuz he couldn't make the droids.

Spudman43
Sorry CadoAngelus, it was you who talked about TPM. My fault.

Slash_KMC
Seriously. Did you read my post right before yours.

Originally posted by Slash_KMC
I do not mean to be condescending, but stating the obvious isn't flattering. People here seem to do it more and more.

Only I can do it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.