Did you say, "Skywalker"?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anakin_the_Hutt
It's hard to believe that in his 19 years living on Tatooine - Luke never heard of the name Skywalker.

Luke himself was a racer, I'm sure he would have at least HEARD of the Boonta Eve Classic...or podracing!

The fact that the only human who's actually podraced was a Tatooine native - wouldn't that be a sense of pride amongst racers?

Luke regularly traveled to different towns and cities, he traded and interacted with locals and offworlders...now, he may not have learned Vader was his father - but I think he would've at least learned that a Skywalker named Anakin used to live there.

JediRobin23
Ahh, the whole intent for Owen and Beru was to hide Luke's true identity.
I think they did a pretty good job.

Anakin_the_Hutt
What? You saying they told Tatooine not to mention the word Skywalker around Luke?

sweersa
They were stupid to keep the name Skywalker but it is just a movie.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Anakin_the_Hutt
It's hard to believe that in his 19 years living on Tatooine - Luke never heard of the name Skywalker.

Luke himself was a racer, I'm sure he would have at least HEARD of the Boonta Eve Classic...or podracing!

The fact that the only human who's actually podraced was a Tatooine native - wouldn't that be a sense of pride amongst racers?

Luke regularly traveled to different towns and cities, he traded and interacted with locals and offworlders...now, he may not have learned Vader was his father - but I think he would've at least learned that a Skywalker named Anakin used to live there.

It's GL, what do you expect? He still hasn't explained who sifo-dias (yea, I think I misspelled that) was.

Anakin_the_Hutt
I know! That whole Sifo-Dyas thing STILL pisses me off to no end.

So Luke just never came across the name Skywalker?

Did GL ever give a reason?

That issue of continuity HAD to have come up when he was setting up the prequels...

I'm sure he had some rationale when asked. Sad if he just shrugged and replied, "Look, it's just a movie."

JediRobin23
Perhaps Luke did know about his father being a slave on Tatooine one time and winning a pod race, doesn't really change anything.
When Qui gon took Anakin away, the rest of Tatooine didn't really know where he went.
All Luke says about his father in ANH was he was a navigator on some spice frigate or something. Then Obiwan says "Thats what your uncle wanted you to know". So Luke knew some things about his father, just not everything or how he died. Anakins mom was really the only one who knew Anakin had force powers before he left with Quigon.

Jack Daniels
without some eu I have to say Jac is right c'mon GL luvs keeping us hangin! The hutt though made a damn good point... anakin was a legend in podracing as far as canon can bring us...

queeq
A legend? He won once and disappeared...

Jack Daniels
canon wise though only human who could do it...okay lets just say he's a legend to us "canon" star wars fans! I still wish Lucas approved games could be canon...but I read up on google its not in the realm of canon possibility...Queeq canon rules right as usual..

Slash_KMC
The thing that bothers me the most is Obi's stupidity of letting him have the name Skywalker ... I mean, if he really tried to hide him from his father he could at least have given him a new lastname.

sweersa
Remember in Episode 4, Luke wasn't Vader's son, and Leia wasn't Luke's sister...this didn't happen until after the making of this film.

Jovan
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
The thing that bothers me the most is Obi's stupidity of letting him have the name Skywalker ... I mean, if he really tried to hide him from his father he could at least have given him a new lastname.
it's not stupidity, it's laziness.

there is nothing wrong with letting Luke keep his name.
No one knows who Vader really is in the first place (besides OB1, Yoda, the Emperor & Vader). For the entire galaxy Anakin died during order 66... if they already knew he was a Jedi, that is.

If someone on Tatooine knew that Anakin was a Jedi, he would have made a very safe guess that he died during order 66 since the word was that every Jedi died.
The only problem is that OB1 kept the name Skywalker instead of using Lars or whatever. And so what? Anakin hears from sidious that Padme died, thus implicitly: the kid (he thinks there's only one) dies with her, thus no offspring, thus not looking for any in the first place.
Second: is Skywalker such a special name that ONE kid with that name is automatically anakin's offspring? Who says he doesn't have any family, on Tatooine or some other place? For all we know, Skywalker is like Jones or Smith in the USA.
Third: where else to hide him than on Tatooine? Why would Vader return to the place were he had to work as a slave and his mom died? It's not the planet to take a holiday to just for having fun memories...

Jack Daniels
ahh lets just do what Lucas does drink a beer and worry 2morrowbeer

Anakin_the_Hutt
What are you talking about? Luke was always Vader's son - from Day 1 of shooting. When was the last time you seen EP IV?

Anakin_the_Hutt
So, the Force Unleashed and Shadows of the Empire games - although Lucas approved - aren't considered official canon?

I mean, I'd understand certain game mechanics...

Ordo
Maybe Skywalker was like Smith or Patel or Hernandez...and half of Tatooine was named Skywalker?

Slash_KMC
Why Vader would return to Tatooine ? Exactly for those reasons. He may have gone there to take revenge on anyone who mistreated him there when he was a slave, he may have gone there to visit/kill his stepbrother, he may have gone there to visit his mothers grave, he may have tracked down Obi-Wan there or he may just have felt damn nostalgic. And then he'd find this kid who's strong with the force and just happens to carry his lastname.

Anakin_the_Hutt
All the painful memories and reminders of his past would be something Darth Vader would presumably want to avoid and not acknowledge.

Palpatine considered Anakin Skywalker dead in ESB. I'm sure Vader felt the same way.

JediRobin23
Maybe Vader should have googled or 411 the name 'skywalker'. Maybe he would have found Luke.

Vader thought his kids died with Padme, so why would he care about tatootine after that. I sense no reasoning or open mindness in this thread

Anakin_the_Hutt
Vader had no real reason to get nostalgic.

I'm asking if the audience is supposed to believe that Luke just never came across the name Skywalker while he lived there.

If so, has GL ever given a reason why Luke hasn't?

Maybe he did come across the name Anakin Skywalker and his podracing exploits - but Owen just told him he was nobody...coincidence.

Who knows? Curious as to GL's or any official rationale.

JediRobin23
Vader had no real reason to get nostalgic.

I'm asking if the audience is supposed to believe that Luke just never came across the name Skywalker while he lived there.

If so, has GL ever given a reason why Luke hasn't?

Maybe he did come across the name Anakin Skywalker and his podracing exploits - but Owen just told him he was nobody...coincidence.

Who knows? Curious as to GL's or any official rationale.

Luke had to of heard the name skywalker before because that was his fathers name (Its not Lars). I dont think Luke thought he was a bastard son. It actually makes more sense that Luke Believed his father was from tatooine.
Now, what I was saying, no one from tatootine thought Anakin was that special and never knew of his accomplishments in the rest of the galaxy. Recall, The republic doesn't exist in the outer rim, so no one cares about Tatooine.

Owen had to hide the full truth from Luke. Not easy for one to do, but they feared Luke would become like his father

Anakin_the_Hutt
Yeah, still - wonder if there's an official answer out there on the topic.

I remember reading something on the topic, I think - in a Star Wars Insider awhile back when Phantom Menace came out - but I don't remember which one...I'll have to look.

JediRobin23
Yeah, still - wonder if there's an official answer out there on the topic.

I remember reading something on the topic, I think - in a Star Wars Insider awhile back when Phantom Menace came out - but I don't remember which one...I'll have to look.

I think the movies were the official topic.

Perhaps you need to watch them again......

Jack Daniels
some things that r posted make me drink more! and I like drinkin!

queeq
It makes some movies watchable as well.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Star Wars Insider has articles, interviews, Q/A - info on all things Star Wars.

If there's a Q/A segment where a rep from the Lucasfilm "Continuity Dept." or hell, Lucas himself, addresses that issue - how is that getting off topic?

Maybe there was a method to Lucas' madness.

Why would I have to watch the movies again?

queeq
I don't think Lucas has any such thing called a Continuity Dept. That is the problem.

Anakin_the_Hutt
I know. Hence, the Lucasfilm "Continuity Dept."

So, what...Star Wars Insider is not a valid source of info? Nothing canon can be derived from it?

sweersa
Star Wars Insider has articles, interviews, Q/A - info on all things Star Wars.

If there's a Q/A segment where a rep from the Lucasfilm "Continuity Dept." or hell, Lucas himself, addresses that issue - how is that getting off topic?

Maybe there was a method to Lucas' madness.

Why would I have to watch the movies again?

I have subscribed to that magazine for many years. I have been pretty upset with it in the last few years though, they are small issues now, with lots of ads and little real exclusives.

Jovan
there's a thread around here that says what's cannon:
movies, the radio drama's & the novels of the movies

besides that only what GL says is canon... if McCallum says it: it's not. If someone says "GL told me this", it's not canon. Only what he directly says is canon.

The audience can believe what they wany.
Again, skywalker might be a very common name and thus Luke never laid the link. Besides: No one knew Anakin & Padme were married, Padme died with child (or so they think). What's left? The only thing that had to happen was Owen & Beru explaining that they suddenly got a baby. Besides that there is no link between Anakin & Luke which would have gave suspiciion to either Luke or Vader.

besides, the audience is also supposed to believe in the Force, lightsabres, hyperspace etc. I'll worry more about them accepting such things than a Jedi being too lazy to ask the adoptive aunt & uncle to change the kid's last name

Anakin_the_Hutt
So if Rick McCallum or Irvin Kershner says something like, "Well, what we tried to do here was..." or "GL told me he wanted this..."- it's void and not canon because GL didn't directly say it?

I want to know if I'm understanding correctly.

queeq
Read Ush's post heading this forum. It's all very clear there.

Jack Daniels
I can see clearly now... my eyes are swollen... wait thats not how the song goes..sounds good to me though

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
Read Ush's post heading this forum. It's all very clear there.

Did he make up those rules or did he get them from somewhere?

darthmaul1
Who would remember a 9 year old kid from 30 or 32 years ago. i sure as hell wouldn't. and as for master sifo-dias, i had always thought after he died, it was Palps that assumed his identity and used it to get the clones created. either that or it was dooku after Maul died

Jack Daniels
I do remember an eu thread that explained that ...I think....better check eu and then we will know

queeq
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally posted by sweersa
Did he make up those rules or did he get them from somewhere?

He didn't make up the rules. This board policy and the canon requirements have always been clear from Lucasfilm.

Jack Daniels
yeah i havent been in eu in a long time....except google I cheat thru google..lol...this is where we all go NOOOOOOOOOOOO

sweersa
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

He didn't make up the rules. This board policy and the canon requirements have always been clear from Lucasfilm.

I see.

Ordo
Its not even so much about the 9 year old winning a race. ANakin Skywalker was the posterchild of the Cloner Wars (canon queeq, stick out tongue). If my last name was MacArthur, and I had no knowledge of my parents, I might go..."Hey! Maybe I'm related to that guy."

Then again, the Lars family told him he was the son of a Spire Frighter Pilot, which is one of The Clone Wars' fabulous tie-ins.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by sweersa
I see.
said the blind jedi to the deaf gungan

queeq
Originally posted by Ordo
Its not even so much about the 9 year old winning a race. ANakin Skywalker was the posterchild of the Cloner Wars (canon queeq, stick out tongue). If my last name was MacArthur, and I had no knowledge of my parents, I might go..."Hey! Maybe I'm related to that guy."

Then again, the Lars family told him he was the son of a Spire Frighter Pilot, which is one of The Clone Wars' fabulous tie-ins.

No news papers on Tatooine I suppose. But yeah, I never liked Anakin coming from tatooine. It causes these weird problems.

Slash_KMC
No news papers on Tatooine I suppose. But yeah, I never liked Anakin coming from tatooine. It causes these weird problems.

Yeah, they just did this so the audience would have a planet they're familiar with, but if you think that's bad, check this out: ANAKIN MADE C3PO WTF ?

It's a small universe after all.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Perhaps Luke did know about his father being a slave on Tatooine one time and winning a pod race, doesn't really change anything.
When Qui gon took Anakin away, the rest of Tatooine didn't really know where he went.
All Luke says about his father in ANH was he was a navigator on some spice frigate or something. Then Obiwan says "Thats what your uncle wanted you to know". So Luke knew some things about his father, just not everything or how he died. Anakins mom was really the only one who knew Anakin had force powers before he left with Quigon.

I think this post pretty much nails the answer to the question this thread poses.

We have no reason to think Luke DIDN'T know his father was a slave racer as a kid. He did know his father was a pilot, after all.

So no problem here.

As for the wider "They 'hid' Luke in a pretty freaking obvious place" issue- that's a different kettle of fish, though I am fairly sure there are other threads about it.

queeq
For sure.

sweersa
Of course.

queeq
indeed.

Jack Daniels
beer

queeq
Bottom's up.

sweersa
Bottom's up.

Night train!

Jaeh.is.Awesome
...i don't think anyone on Tatooine really cared if Luke knew anything about the little Skywalker kid who won the races. yeah, tatooine could also be ridden with lotsa skywalkers - i mean, shmi has to have some relatives, right?

sweersa
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
...i don't think anyone on Tatooine really cared if Luke knew anything about the little Skywalker kid who won the races. yeah, tatooine could also be ridden with lotsa skywalkers - i mean, shmi has to have some relatives, right?

I am not sure, she was a slave so her family could be from some place very far away.

& Nice seeing you here again Jaeh!

queeq

Jaeh is back!

Jack Daniels
u know I think george lucas should make a couple appearances here in this forum and answer some of these questions...we will offer to pay him in republic credits...he should do that though at least for kicks and to throw loopholes in the canon...lord knows we need em..we could ask mickey..err I mean sweersa to hook it up he knows chewbacca

sweersa
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
u know I think george lucas should make a couple appearances here in this forum and answer some of these questions...we will offer to pay him in republic credits...he should do that though at least for kicks and to throw loopholes in the canon...lord knows we need em..we could ask mickey..err I mean sweersa to hook it up he knows chewbacca

Possibly.

Jack Daniels
right..lol

Jaeh.is.Awesome
...I'm back? where did I go?

about shmi and slavery - yeah, probably true... maybe skywalker is just really that common...

...republic dataries are worth nothing here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.