Question about Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KuRuPT Thanosi
I'm not familiar with the books after ROTJ but how exactly did Sidious survive being betrayed by Vader. I'm just curious how the events played out. Also, isn't it true that Sidious was dying during all the books or movies and built the death star to kill millions of people so that he could live off of their force or his evil deeds? Lastly, who was the sith lord who could take away or use the force against someone with the force and physcially kill them with it. His name aludes me but it seems that is one of the strongest force sith users ever to have that ability.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
I'm not familiar with the books after ROTJ but how exactly did Sidious survive being betrayed by Vader. I'm just curious how the events played out. Also, isn't it true that Sidious was dying during all the books or movies and built the death star to kill millions of people so that he could live off of their force or his evil deeds? Lastly, who was the sith lord who could take away or use the force against someone with the force and physcially kill them with it. His name aludes me but it seems that is one of the strongest force sith users ever to have that ability.

1. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Palpatine
1. a. Clones
_____b. Was he dying? I didn't think so...
_____c. Live off the force from Death Star? Again, I didn't think so...
2. Nihlius
_____a. *eludes* The word isn't 'alludes' but is 'eludes.' "His name eludes me but..."

Publius II
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
2. NihliusNihilus.

The verb "is" ("isn't 'alludes' but is 'eludes'"wink would be redundant, if not necessarily incorrect.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Publius II
Nihilus.
I call him 'Big N' or just 'N.' for a reason. I have yet to spell his name correctly without looking it up.

Originally posted by Publius II

The verb "is" ("isn't 'alludes' but is 'eludes'"wink would be redundant, if not necessarily incorrect.

I excluded the word 'instead' in that sentence. I felt that it would be borderline careless to also omit the verb in that clause. Including 'is' served to emphasize the status of 'eludes' as the correct choice. In this case 'is' served as both a verb and an intensifier. It may have been a bit wordy/clunky but is technically correct. I still feel that had I left out both words ("isn't 'alludes' but 'eludes'"wink the phrase would have left some ambiguity as to the correct verb choice (for the OP). As Publius's Greatest Fanboy might say: "Cover thy ass."

DarkSideisMeth
1) Darth Sidious is basically the physical manifestation of the dark side. It's not that he has gone so far into the dark path that the dark side totally control its actions, its more like through his immense study of the dark side and the Force in general he has (in my opinion) over time changed closer and closer to becoming the exemplar of all Sith. Sidious, is the most knowledgeable Force user ever, just as Qui Gon and Yoda understood they the force ghost technique in which they could preserve thier personality in the Force, so did Sidious realize an even greater technique whereby he can actually live on without his mortal body, so long as he finds another suitable one.

- he did use clones, and we have no idea how many or how frequently he switched.

2) Sidious was definitley dying from the dark side. The whole comic book where Luke goes to the dark side (not sure on the name, dark horse comics made it?) he is in a state of dying and has to switch to a clone. We can only presume therefore he has always been slowly deteriorating from his immense use/exploration of the dark side. I'm not one of those Star Wars fans who subscribes to the Force not having two sides, there is gray of course, the dark side is corruptive, and it does **** with you over time (check my user name to get my opinion on that). Sidious was most definitley dying.

#3) Interesting question, but I don't think so. Sidious didn't seem to thrive off of other peoples' negative emotions, I'd like to think he actually moved beyond that. While he recognizes the use of passions, he is basically beyond such human feelings in general and saves what sentiments he does have for moments to somewhat fuel his power. When Dooku force sensed the true form of Sidious in ROTS he saw Sidious as a complete black hole, forever darkness- Sidious again as I said, is the physical manifestation of the dark side or as close as anyone could be to claiming such a title. I do not mean by that, that the dark side created him, but I mean is he is the ultimate Sith and basically is in a semi-union with it. He is so uber.

DarkSideisMeth
I believe the Death Star (or as it was called in an alternative future comic, the Justice Star hahah) was just another way for Sidious to show his power, but I don't think he needed it beyond that.

The Big N is also a pretty awesome Sith Lord.

Captain REX
It sounds like Kurupt might have been mixing up some Expanded Universe tales with the films a little! So let's try setting the record straight.

There are points where I believe it is mentioned that the Dark Side corrupts its users' body through prolonged use. I think that was the original explanation (or at least a good one) for why Palpatine was all hunched and creepy. He's the bad guy, after all. But I don't think the Dark Side was killing him.

He did transfer his consciousness to clones. It has been established that he did not use the clones of himself prior to the Battle of Endor. He claimed to have done so, but a Lucas spokesperson stepped in and said that Palpatine was just trying to scare Luke. He first returned as a clone in 11 ABY, about seven years after the Battle of Endor. One clone was killed by Luke and Leia ruining his control of a Force storm, the others were sabotaged and deteriorated quickly so that he had to abandon them. His last clone was shot and killed by Han Solo. Read the Dark Empire and Empire's End graphic novels if you want the details.

But yeah, I think another reason (besides sabotage) for his deteriorating clones was the Dark Side was corrupting them, being forced to take his consciousness and utilize his great power in the Dark Side.

As for the Death Star, it was simply a weapon with which Palpatine wanted to bring everyone under his control. You don't obey, we blow up your planet. He did, however, thrive off of the fear and pain of all his slaves on Byss, his secret throneworld.

KuRuPT Thanosi
So if he thrived off the pain and suffering of Byss, why wouldn't it stand to reason he would then thrive off the pain in killings of millions of people at once? This is what I was referring to and I thought that this thriving is what helped sustain his body from deteriorating?

Also, the Big N... was he the only sith to have this power to use the force against someone with the force to kill them. IF, so why? Finally, couldn't he have been the strongest force user because this unique ability and could thus kill people like Sidious or Luke or Vader etc with this special power?

Darth Sexy
It was stated that since the clones were a step removed from being actual life forms, the dark side would deteriorate them quicker than if he were an actual human.

Gideon
Actually, Captain REX, if I may offer an addendum: the official databank and Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia officially state that it was Palpatine's vast strength in the dark side that was crippling and destroying his body.

Captain REX
Okay, as I thought. Thanks Gid.

I'm sure Palpatine was thrilled when Alderaan was destroyed, but I do not know if it had any effect on his power or if he helped sustain his body this way.

Nihilus... well, we don't know enough, I feel, to really place him. He wasn't exactly a lethal swordsman after the Exile weakened him. We don't know if his ability is contestable.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Can someone answer my question about Nihilist? Was he the only sith with that power and could he have been the strongest being that he could've used it agasint any jedi or sith to defeat them?

Captain REX
He has been the only Sith seen to use draining powers on that level, yes. And it has been hinted at that he could have killed everyone if the Exile didn't stop him. But I don't think he's the strongest Sith ever or anything.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Do you think he could've used that power to kill lets say Vader, OBI or even Luke or Sidious?

kotorfan
ya anyone can be killed if taken off guard.. which is hard if the victim is a force user. but lets say someone was hiding in the force, like a vong, sneaks behind a jedi and stabs them. then obviously they would die.. unless some caleb happens to teleport there somehow.

Captain REX
I think that's not really what he's asking, kotorfan. I think the question is 'Can Nihilus use his power to best the likes of Vader or Sidious or Luke?'

KuRuPT Thanosi
yes that is what I'm asking... any thoughts? Was his power that strong?

Gideon
No one has the answer. He has never drained an individual of that magnitude -- a person whose own potency exceeds his -- which is exactly what Luke and Palpatine are.

Darth Storm
nihilus was f****ing powerfull and could F**** sidious

Gideon
No.

kotorfan
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
1. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Palpatine
1. a. Clones
_____b. Was he dying? I didn't think so...
_____c. Live off the force from Death Star? Again, I didn't think so...
2. Nihlius
_____a. *eludes* The word isn't 'alludes' but is 'eludes.' "His name eludes me but..."

gosh I should read more of this then I'll ace the SAT. lol

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Storm
nihilus was f****ing powerfull and could F**** sidious Is that all you have to say?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.