The Clone Wars on DVD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ordo
I may have had my doubts about The Clone Wars, but now I'm just pissed.

Rumors were going around that the Season 1 DVD was going to be released in March. Turns out its true (March 24th)...only its not season 1.

ITS ONLY THE FIRST 4 KARKING EPISODES....

and get this...

its going to retail for $20. YES....$5 PER EPISODE.

That's almost the cost of the entire first season on iTunes. And wth...they're going to be marketing this DISC by DISC? With the next 4 episodes this summer? This is just entirely aggravating and actually pisses me off. The box art is total crap too, just like the feature film.

Looks like I'll be waiting until the end of '09 to buy the WHOLE first season as a set.

They're also marketing it as a "hit" (LMAO) series caliming that people "just can't wait" for their "favorite episodes on DVD." laughing out loud (Their favorites are just the first 4?) These guys are startign to sound as ignorant as the Bush administration.

di'kutla Lucas.

Info.

queeq
I'm not gonna buy it. I bought the CW movie already. Maybe when it's very very cheap. The kids 'll like 'em...

Ordo
Ambush is the only good episode on that disc. One episode is not worth $20 when I have to buy it again with the whole first season a few months later....you know...with other episodes I actually like.

If I get desperate, I'll grab it from Netflix.

Then I can finally watch them in HD big grin

MIŠT
It's just for kids who don't know how to record tv and morons who havent heard about the internet.

Captain REX
As I said in the other thread that popped up, that's stupid. They should just wait and release the first season on DVD, like every other television show...

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ordo
I may have had my doubts about The Clone Wars, but now I'm just pissed.

Rumors were going around that the Season 1 DVD was going to be released in March. Turns out its true (March 24th)...only its not season 1.

ITS ONLY THE FIRST 4 KARKING EPISODES....

and get this...

its going to retail for $20. YES....$5 PER EPISODE.

That's almost the cost of the entire first season on iTunes. And wth...they're going to be marketing this DISC by DISC? With the next 4 episodes this summer? This is just entirely aggravating and actually pisses me off. The box art is total crap too, just like the feature film.

Looks like I'll be waiting until the end of '09 to buy the WHOLE first season as a set.

They're also marketing it as a "hit" (LMAO) series caliming that people "just can't wait" for their "favorite episodes on DVD." laughing out loud (Their favorites are just the first 4?) These guys are startign to sound as ignorant as the Bush administration.

di'kutla Lucas.

Info.

drylaugh

My God!

this could be the very first SW DVD set I won't buy

and it's not on BR either...

I'll just wait till the season it's over.....

queeq
Yeah, just hide and wait till it's all over. Personally I hope the sales bomb dramatically.

Ordo
Seconded.

Though, this will not be the first SW DVD I didn't buy.

Hybris
At the sight of the news, I finally experience the pain Dooku must have felt when Anakin sliced his hands and head off...

Ordo
I'm more of the scream "NOOOOOOOO," have my face melt off, then plummet down a seemingly bottomless shaft.

queeq
You forgot the "being cut in half" bit. wink

Ordo
You mean having the having my hand cut off bit? no expression

S_D_J
Seconded.

Though, this will not be the first SW DVD I didn't buy.

I bought almost every single one, except for the new OT, PT packages, which somehow I'm inclined to buy at least one of them

... besides everything else, I didn't own AOTC... until I bought a few weeks ago with the TCW DVD big grin

back on topic:

Yeah, this DVD sucks...

LordPrydon
It is kind of how they did the DVDs for *shudder* Hannah Montana. Several 4 or 5 episode disc releases for a year or two before Season One was given a full release as a box set.

Ordo
Least we we get a good idea of the demographic Lucas is targeting.

queeq
Kids with no money?

Ordo
Kids with rich parents.

LordPrydon
I did not buy the new versions released a few months ago. I was told they offered no new bonus material to them.

queeq
Just a handful episodes on a DVD... it's a crying shame.

LordPrydon
It really is sad they could not put more on the DVD. It is Hannah Montana all over again.

Ordo
Not even that, but there is only 1 good episode on the disc...and you know that after the disc with episodes 5,6,7,and 8 on them...if you want any episodes 9+, you're gonna have to buy the season 1 compilation.

In this economy? Please.

LordPrydon
Its just like the Hannah Montana releases I swear. I know I have said this twice already but its true.

Hybris
I don't even think those discs will be released in Belgium so I'm not really missing anything... I sure do hope that a full season box will be released... But then again, everybody is still waiting on that full saga DVD box...

queeq
Hehehehe

Ordo
It will be, just not until 4Q this year i believe (which is awkward that it wouldn't be released in the run-up to Season 2...but I guess I'm not Lucas' marketing dept.)

They're just releasing these two mini discs prior. Hell knowing Lucas they'll just be repackaged in the box set lol.

queeq
Or we first get 4 discs of Season One... Then all of Season One with a trailer of Season Two... etc etc

Ordo
Probably, but at least there will be year inbetween. We haven't seen another version of the movie yet.

Unlike the movies, I will feel no need to buy new versions for additoinal content...only for new material.

Captain REX
I will probably wait until we just get a Season One box. No harm in waiting, especially with all the episodes available online right now.

Ordo
Yeah, I didn't pay for those either. I am anxious to see the animation in a crisp presentation though. The detail in the real images fomr online always amaze me.

queeq
Probably, but at least there will be year inbetween. We haven't seen another version of the movie yet.

laughing out loud That's reassuring... laughing out loud

Ordo
Knowing Lucas? Totally.

...6 months later...

"WAIT! I WANTED IT THIS WAY!"

queeq
"Now I have the technology to realise my true vision."

Ordo
Re: Jabba the Hutt in ANH

Dear Mr. Lucas,

queeq
laughing out loud

Another letter unread.

Ordo
I'm actually kind of digging the box art and I'm impressed with the features. I always like concept art and 7 directors cuts for: Rising Malevolence, Shadow of Malevolence, Lair of Grievous, Rookies, Storm Over Ryloth, Innocents of Ryloth and Liberty on Ryloth. All of these are good episodes (save for the Malevolence episodes which desperately need improvement.)

I just glad we don't have a super-special extended cut of Dooku captured!

It just sucks I have to wait to November....and I just got a blu-ray player too.

queeq
Good for you.

Ordo
OK. I got teh Season 1 when it came out, and I've slowly been watchign episodes. I've watched most of my favorites by now, or at least the halfway descent ones. A few things come to mind.

1. If you are buying this for the directors cuts? DONT. The Directors "cuts" are barely noticeable with only seconds of additional footage. Nothing stood out to me as new. Like I literally watched them and could not point out the parts I didn't remember. I hate that they're even advertised as "cuts." You think they would have at least had a special scene or something....

2. I'm generally enjoying watching some of these episodes again. Lime most of star wars, nostalgia overwhelms the campiness.

3. Blu-Ray is AWESOME....cant wait for season 2 on blu-ray

Hybris
What are the menu's like, if you compare them to - let's say - The Clone Wars movie?

Ordo
Well I have the blu-ray, but the menus are absurdly disappoiting. Its just a bar that pops up on the bottom while random clips (too many from single episodes) repeat endlessly in the background.

I think its clunky, the navigation is awkward, each episode is paired with its featureette and there is no easy way to navigate between episodes if you're not going in order. It doesn't return to the menu it just keeps going.

Also there is no option to watch the "directors" cuts or not. There is so little extra content, only the director's cut is available for those seven episodes.

I don't remember the Clone Wars movie one though. I'm sure I was disappointed.

Hybris
The description you gave matches the clone wars movie dvd stick out tongue not what i was hoping for, but i'll buy it on dvd anyway smile

thanks for the info !

Ordo
Yeah I was disappointed. On the blu-ray, all three disks thad the same video montage for their background. Really lame.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.