Question about Mace vs. Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KuRuPT Thanosi
I'm hearing conflicting views on this fight and what to know what the real story is if anybody knows. I know how the movie plays out but hear the book gives a different account. On one hand I've heard that Mace beat Sidious fair and square via superior lightsaber skills, Vaaped and shatterpoint and would've killed him if Anakin didn't step in. Then I've heard other people say that the book said Sidious was taking it easy on Mace and could've beaten him but wanted to turn Anakin to the dark side and thus he let Mace get to that point. So, is there an conclusive evidence in the books on what the real story is?

Bespin Bart
It seems to be generally held that Windu defeated Palpatine fair and square, but obviously people will argue that point. Palpatine, at the end of the fight, started to act weak and powerless when Anakin did show up, then blasted Windu with full power once his guard (and arm) was down. Some people think the whole fight was a ruse, otherwise think Palpatine lost fair and square but feigned greater weakness when Anakin arrived.

Darth Sexy
According to GL's commentary on the ROTS DVD, Mace overpowered Sidious. This is attributed to Mace's shatterpoint and Vaapad abilities.

Darth Truculent
Darth Sexy, Sidious allowed Mace to overpower him because he wanted to turn Anakin. Thought that may help. Sometimes deception can be just as powerful as the Force as Sidious demonstrated.

Lord Lucien
No, I do believe he legitimately beat Palpatine ultimately thanks to shatterpoint. Sidious (of all people, seriously) would not put his life on such a dangerously thin line.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Darth Sexy, Sidious allowed Mace to overpower him because he wanted to turn Anakin. Thought that may help. Sometimes deception can be just as powerful as the Force as Sidious demonstrated.

GL would disagree with you here.

Gideon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Sidious (of all people, seriously) would not put his life on such a dangerously thin line.

Not true. I recall two movies whose plots hinged around Sidious deliberately putting himself in imminent danger to convert a promising disciple. The truth to the matter is that he had more balls than most (if any) Sith.

That said, the official canon word is that Mace won legitimately.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Gideon
Not true. I recall two movies whose plots hinged around Sidious deliberately putting himself in imminent danger to convert a promising disciple. The truth to the matter is that he had more balls than most (if any) Sith.

That said, the official canon word is that Mace won legitimately. Like the kind of danger that the Duel in the Chancellor's office had: Mace extends his arm by about half a foot and Palaptine's neck is impaled? Ballsy, but damn, talk about putting all your eggs/chickens/and the entire farm in one basket.

DarkSideisMeth
Mace defintely emerged triumphant. People often mistake Sidious' awesomeness for meaning his plans were invulnerable. Sidious is not perfect (although I'd never tell him that to his face), his plans could have fallen apart in many places. Sidious tried to turn Anakin before this point, subtely nudging him for a long time.

Does anyone doubt that Sidious could have done anything but welcome Anakin's submission if the Jedi had fallen earlier? No. Sidious underestimated Windu also, in my opinion.

more fascinating however, is Obi-Won realized when he came back to Couracant in ROTS that Windu was not himself and Windu had a little rage moment about the Chancellor and later with Yoda to the point Yoda poked him with his gimmer stick (Yoda's Bad ass), Windu himself was walking a line at this point.

Lord Lucien
Didn't he always?

DarkSideisMeth
Hm.. yeah there is support he always did. But I suppose it was more evident with recent events in ROTS, his dark inclinations took enough of a toll that Obi-Won could sense immediatley upon returning that Windu was not the same man. Yoda was also ambivalent for some time about steps against Palpatine, but Windu was totally preparing to take control of the Senate (his words I believe) before they knew Palpatine was Sidious

Lord Lucien
He was pragmatic, I liked that. His inherent inner dark resulted in his creation of Vapaad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.