Magneto vs Captain America's Shield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jynocidus
Couldn Mags effect the shield on a molecular level and uhh...graft it painfully to Roger's arm?

Mindset
Possibly.

Eternal Idol
His powers affected Wolverine's skeleton fairly easily. I don't see how Cap's shield would fare much better.

Mindset
You bring up a great point!

Doctor-Alvis
Why not just embed it in his arm the old fashioned way?

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Jynocidus
Couldn Mags effect the shield on a molecular level and uhh...graft it painfully to Roger's arm?
Yes

tjcoady
I've seen it two different ways: way back in "New Mutants," he could affect the shield, but in an early "Avengers" he couldn't affect the Shield (even though he could manipulate Thor's hammer).

so, toss-up. Depends on the writer.

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
His powers affected Wolverine's skeleton fairly easily. I don't see how Cap's shield would fare much better.

SoulDevourer
YES

(caps shield aint mystical. magnet can affect i easy)

Silent Master
Nope, Molecule Man had a hard time messing with its molecules and MM >>>> Magneto.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Silent Master
Nope, Molecule Man had a hard time messing with its molecules and MM >>>> Magneto. i was about to say the same thing.

also, the beyonder stated that out of all these items: mjolnir, surfer's board, iron man's suit, and cap's shield, the shield was the most amazing atomic structure (or something to that effect) when he remade them after he destroyed them. most likely cap's shield isn't just a notch more durable than adamantium is, it's probably far more than that.

SoulDevourer
so caps shield is mystical? the guy who made it never mentioned anything about a spell or any kinda magic when he made it huh

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by SoulDevourer
so caps shield is mystical? the guy who made it never mentioned anything about a spell or any kinda magic when he made it huh

Ever heard of diamagnetism? erm

psycho gundam
so caps shield is mystical? the guy who made it never mentioned anything about a spell or any kinda magic when he made it huh no, doctor mclain fell asleep and the wakandan vibranium and steel fused together (through unknown means). he then poured it into a shield mold.

shiv
Magneto > diamagnetism

his powers are not limited to what knowledge is currently available to man on science. If a substance exists and is not protected by magic: Juggs or mutant energy: forcefields, invulnerability, hf, molecular control... then Magneto can tear it apart like adamantium.

Reed, Forge, The Black Panther Magneto and Apocalypse could hold off Cap and wreck the shield with a science based attack.

Apocalypse probably wouldn't need to know the finer details of how he did it

rotiart
Magnetos powers are still limited.... To magnetism... So your saying that magneto would be able to affect pure h2o that was stilled and has no mineral deposits...

SoulDevourer
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Ever heard of diamagnetism? erm no but my super human intution tells me this has somethin to do with magnetism stick out tongue

Originally posted by psycho gundam
no, doctor mclain fell asleep and the wakandan vibranium and steel fused together (through unknown means). he then poured it into a shield mold. so this means earth science > magic? (since MM said that caps shield was "weirder" then the other things like thors hammer )

rotiart
He's saying it's molecular composition is more complex....
Mjolnir is simply uru metals forged in fire then enchanted...

Caps shield is some a composite of science and other mixing of the right compositions at the right time of certain polymers

Kinda like how steel is so much more durable thank iron

darthgoober
so this means earth science > magic? (since MM said that caps shield was "weirder" then the other things like thors hammer )
Which does Dr. Doom use more stick out tongue ?

Mindset
Originally posted by darthgoober
Which does Dr. Doom use more stick out tongue ? Where have you been?

SoulDevourer
Originally posted by rotiart
He's saying it's molecular composition is more complex....
Mjolnir is simply uru metals forged in fire then enchanted...

Caps shield is some a composite of science and other mixing of the right compositions at the right time of certain polymers

Kinda like how steel is so much more durable thank iron ok so MM was only commenting on the regular metal not the "finish product" (enchanted hammer). that make more sense I guess cool

magneto couldnt affect mjolnir but IMO he should be able to affect uru and any other non magic item & this includes caps shield

darthgoober
Originally posted by Mindset
Where have you been?
My computer crashed and needed to be fixed.

StiltmanFTW
no but my super human intution tells me this has somethin to do with magnetism stick out tongue

^

magneto couldnt affect mjolnir but IMO he should be able to affect uru and any other non magic item & this includes caps shield

What are you talking about? Magneto did affect Mjolnir.

Jynocidus
LOL Go me, I made an interesting thread that lasted 2 pages =)

shiv
So your saying that magneto would be able to affect pure h2o that was stilled and has no mineral deposits...

Yes.

Water, being dipolar, can be partly aligned by an electric field and this may be easily shown by the movement of a stream of water by an electrostatic source . Very high field strengths (5 x 109 V m-1) are required to reorient water in ice such that freezing is inhibited , with lower fields (105 V m-1) encouraging ice formation in supercooled water by weakening the hydrogen bonding. Even partial alignment of the water molecules with the electric field will cause pre-existing hydrogen bonding to become bent or broken. The balance between hydrogen bonding and van der Waals attractions is thus biased towards van der Waals attractions giving rise to less cyclic hydrogen bonded clustering.

High interfacial fields (E > 109 V m-1, > thermal energy) at electrode (or charged) surfaces can cause a phase transition with an ordered layering of water at high densities similar to ice X . Depending on the value of the field, the restriction pressures may cause melting or freezing as corresponding to the normal phase behavior . High fields (E ~109 V m-1) might also be found (perhaps surprisingly) at the surface of hydrophilic molecules where caused by the partial charges on the atoms and the small distances between the surface and first hydration layer. High fields affect hydrogen bonding in an anisotropic manner, hydrogen bonds being strengthened along the field but weakened orthogonal to the field . At low fields, however, both translational and rotational motions may be reduced. Electric fields are expected to increase the differences in the properties between the ortho and para forms of water . Electric fields also lower the dielectric constant of the water , due to the resultant partial or complete destruction of the hydrogen-bonded network.
Pure water is a poor conductor of electricity but its also a poor insulator as it always contains ions due to self-ionization.

Magneto Black Adam Doom And Superman have to be written down so they don't expose holes in every story they're in.

a quick example is Black Adam's tendency to make mad decisions while whenever Captain Marvel has a judgement call the wisdom of solomon is often shown on panel providing advice.

Both Marvels hear the wisdom of solomon at all times.

another example is superman often needing to take a closer look at a situation, forgetting he has telescopic and xray vision.

cloud102
I loved when Cap went up against Magneto, but found out it was a robot. It was a robot, right?

SoulDevourer
What are you talking about? Magneto did affect Mjolnir. wut huh iirc he tried and he comment that his powers didnt work on it

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
His powers affected Wolverine's skeleton fairly easily. I don't see how Cap's shield would fare much better. proto-adamantium (or whatever its called) > primary adamantium so even if Magneto can manipulate adamantium it dont mean he can do same with Caps sheild

but yeah theres a good chance he can smile the sheild aint magical

Survivor19
I suppose he can, if he tries hard enough.

Mshinu
He probably can but it would require intense concentration.

Lord Feron
Looking at what people posted Beyonder said this and MM said that... hmmm They are far and above Mags but them saying it's amazing doesn't necessary mean "oh only really powerful people can manipulate this." No clue, kinda surprised out of the whole history of comicdom magneto has never manipulated the sheild in anyway which i find odd...

leonidas
really hard to say. i'd say logically he SHOULD, but i'd think no writer would do that for fear of precedence being set. there is some logical reason however for his NOT being capable of doing so. if beings like molecule man and beyonder are commenting on it's durability, no way anyone would look down on mags or cry PIS if he COULDN'T manipulate it. meh, it is the hardest thing there is in the MU, so it deserves some special treatment imho. smile

SoulDevourer
IF he realy did manpulate Mjolnir then he shoud be able 2 do it with Caps sheild to (without PIS anyways ^^)

leonidas
hmm, not sure he really manipulated mjollnir. his shields stopped it. did he once redirect it? can't remember. but even if he did, uru is not as strong as cap's shield. mags HAS redirected the shield once that i recall. redirecting isn't quite the same as tearing atom from atom though.

SoulDevourer
Originally posted by leonidas
but even if he did, uru is not as strong as cap's shield. not plain uru, but mjolnir is enchanted uru wink

id dont remeber the hammer bouncing of Magnetos sheild but some1 in topic said he manipulated mjolnir (that means more then just reflecting? mike disintergrate, rearrange and stuff like that. like what Molecule Man did) and afaik Magneto never did that sort of stuff with mjolnir huh

Enyalus
Magnetos powers are still limited.... To magnetism... So your saying that magneto would be able to affect pure h2o that was stilled and has no mineral deposits...
Polaris manipulated Iceman's....water constructs.

And Magneto has manipulated plastic...

no expression

StiltmanFTW
wut huh iirc he tried and he comment that his powers didnt work on it

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/MightilyOats/Magneto87.jpg
Credit goes to Accel.

leonidas
not plain uru, but mjolnir is enchanted uru wink

id dont remeber the hammer bouncing of Magnetos sheild but some1 in topic said he manipulated mjolnir (that means more then just reflecting? mike disintergrate, rearrange and stuff like that. like what Molecule Man did) and afaik Magneto never did that sort of stuff with mjolnir huh

true, but even thor's enchanted hammer isn't as strong as the shield. i thought i recalled mags altering the hammer's flight, but i could be wrong.

SoulDevourer
Originally posted by leonidas
true, but even thor's enchanted hammer isn't as strong as the shield. has caps sheild ever dent mjolnir?

leonidas
well, no, but the shield isn't used that way . . . that doesn't really prove anything. erm

SoulDevourer
it can be use that way cuz Cap uses it as a weapon too (he throws it)

Lord Feron
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/MightilyOats/Magneto87.jpg
Credit goes to Accel.
OH SNAP

Stunner2xx
Originally posted by Mshinu
He probably can but it would require intense concentration.

What does this mean exactly?
what do you mean by intense?

fair to say you speak out your arse.

Mshinu
Originally posted by Stunner2xx
fair to say you speak out your arse.

Did you take your little pill today? stick out tongue

What is difficult to understand? Magneto can for instance create metallic objects from thin air but it requires him to focus his power. The shield is exotic and extremely durable hence he must concentrate to take it apart. Did this help? wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.