Ahsoka's Lightsaber Shadow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistoFan
Light doesn't have a shadow, correct? Then why is it that in the episode "Defenders of Peace", when Ahsoka cuts down those two droids, her lightsaber has a shadow?

THE JLRTENJAC
Easy, the animators didn't think of the fact that light wouldn't cast a shadow.

Ushgarak
Lightsabres DO cast shadows. Go watch the OT.

They are not actually made of light, you know. A light emitting object can cast a shadow.

MIŠT
Isnt the OT due to them using sticks that cast shadows by accident though? Animated objects have shadow options, don't they?

Ushgarak
Yes but thety kept it on purpose- it is used dramatically in some shots, was expressly not removed in the Special Editions, and was in TPM also.

Basically it has become canonical that lightsabres cast shadows.

FistoFan
Yes, light emitting OBJECTS can but it doesn't seem right that an object composed of light would cast a shadow.

General Kaliero
Seem right or not, Lightsabers have always canonically cast shadows. It's not a mistake on the part of the animators.

And again, a lightsaber blade is not composed of light. If you were to shine a flashlight on a lit glowstick, the stick would in fact cast a shadow. Shadows are simply the relative absence of light, and any object with mass is going to interrupt light from another source, whether it's glowing or not.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by FistoFan
Yes, light emitting OBJECTS can but it doesn't seem right that an object composed of light would cast a shadow.

As I made very clear in my post... lightsabres are not made of light.

FistoFan
Originally posted by Ushgarak
lightsabres are not made of light.
Then what are they made of? And if they're not made of light, then why are they called lightsabers?

Ushgarak
What kind of logic is that? Perhaps because they EMIT light? Or because it sounds cool?

If you think they are made of light, how do you think people become impaled upon them? How do you think they are opaque to blaster bolts (which, if sabres were made of light, woulld go straight through them).

What exactly do you mean by 'light' anyway? What kind of 'light' cuts through objects with no effort, though apparently without giving out any heat?

No-one knows what they are made of any more than anyone knows how an X-Wing works. It's just sci-fi stuff.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by FistoFan
Then what are they made of? And if they're not made of light, then why are they called lightsabers?
The blades are made of an unknown energy that has mass enough to cut through objects and deflect lasers and other sabers, and gives off light as a by-product. The term "lightsaber" is just an idiom to get a point across. Strictly speaking, they're not sabers either, which generally have curved blades with a single edge.

Captain REX
Plus, lasersword doesn't quite sound as elegant.

queeq
Yup

CloneCaptin Fox
I just think Ahsoka's lightsaber is cool and that she should get more trainging from the jedi acedemy before she become a jedi master.

Also when do she become a jedi master?

REXXXX
I don't think she does... my bets are that she's dead before the Clone Wars end.

Peach
Why on earth was this bumped?

And Ahsoka's still a brand-new Padawan. She's a long way off from Knighthood, let alone being a Master...and I also am betting on her not surviving the Clone Wars series.

As for the "lightsabers cast shadows" thing...they just do. They always have, they always will.

Ms.Marvel
ahsouka apparently already has the lightsaber skills of a master ermm holding out against greivous almost as long as ki-adi, defeating three magnagaurds by herself, one of which is supposed to be almost a match for a jedi, etc.

InfernoJG95
I reckon dooku should kill ashoka giving anakin the reason to kill dooku in EP3

queeq
That or our good friend Ventress...

InfernoJG95
Hmmm perhaps

queeq
Might be the most likely scenario.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Ushgarak
What kind of logic is that? Perhaps because they EMIT light? Or because it sounds cool?

If you think they are made of light, how do you think people become impaled upon them? How do you think they are opaque to blaster bolts (which, if sabres were made of light, woulld go straight through them).

What exactly do you mean by 'light' anyway? What kind of 'light' cuts through objects with no effort, though apparently without giving out any heat?

No-one knows what they are made of any more than anyone knows how an X-Wing works. It's just sci-fi stuff.

I saw a program that had scientific speculation about the lightsaber. They speculated that it could be some form of cold plasma.

queeq
OMG

sweersa
Lightsabers are made out of a form of plasma, I think. Why are they called lightsabers you ask?

Well, airbags don't use air, they use a gas. But no one except the French calls them gasbags. big grin

mig17
It is called Lightsaber because Lukas wanted it that way. He said himself that at the begining he though at Lasersword but then someone suggested that Lightsaber sounds better and was more logical since Jedi are supposed to defend the light side of the force.

It is a little like the Skywalker name which at the beginning was supposed to be Starkiller. But it sounded a little to bad guy for Luke, so Skywalker it was. Only latter Lukas used Starkiller again for Vador apprentice.

And by the way, even the French calls an airbag, an airbag wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.