how fast can superman fly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
I allways wanted to know how fast can superman fly? confused

Raoul
There's never really been a limit shown, and he's gone as fast as or past the speed of light on more than once occasion...

Wei Phoenix
Here's a real question for Superman and all who fly.

How do they exactly fly faster?

Raoul
probably the same way you go from a jog to a sprint...

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Raoul
probably the same way you go from a jog to a sprint...

Yeah but you have your legs moving faster when you sprint. What does he make move faster when he flies?

Raoul
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Yeah but you have your legs moving faster when you sprint. What does he make move faster when he flies?

it's all to do with the brain. anyone who can fly under their own power has a certain psionic ability to regulate their flight with their mind, imo...

Wei Phoenix
I didn't know that the ability to fly was psionic. I guess Peter Pan was right. But yeah question just popped up after hearing one of my favorite comedians.

Raoul
I didn't know that the ability to fly was psionic. I guess Peter Pan was right. But yeah question just popped up after hearing one of my favorite comedians.

most superpowers are psionic in nature, imo. magneto doesn't wave his hands at metal, he thinks what he wants to happen. arms are just used to look cool.

Eel O'Brien
as fast as he needs to, of course.

ThunderGodEneru
Yeah but you have your legs moving faster when you sprint. What does he make move faster when he flies? He let's out bigger farts to fly faster.

jalek moye
most superpowers are psionic in nature, imo. magneto doesn't wave his hands at metal, he thinks what he wants to happen. arms are just used to look cool.
While i can see being able to regulate flightwith your mind. I dont agree with the idea that all his powers are becuase he's physic

Endless Mike
Desaad speculated once that it was gravity/spacetime manipulation

Anyway he doesn't fly faster than light on earth because it would damage the planet but in space he has flown up to millions of times lightspeed (in Infinite Crisis when he flew from earth to the Andromeda galaxy in a few hours)

Raoul
Originally posted by jalek moye
While i can see being able to regulate flightwith your mind. I dont agree with the idea that all his powers are becuase he's physic

not all, but some. i mean, super strength and durability aren't psionic, not totally. he just throws a punch like anyone else would. wind breath is just blowing really hard.

stuff like heat vision, flight and cold breath, though, would have to be psionic in nature i think...

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Desaad speculated once that it was gravity/spacetime manipulation

Anyway he doesn't fly faster than light on earth because it would damage the planet but in space he has flown up to millions of times lightspeed (in Infinite Crisis when he flew from earth to the Andromeda galaxy in a few hours)

you talking about when he flew to rao with the two supermen?

Eel O'Brien
Don't forget that whole, "oh, I was out by Vega when I heard your signal watch, Jimmy" from Countdown.

He was definitely folding some kinda space/time to make that return trip.

jalek moye
not all, but some. i mean, super strength and durability aren't psionic, not totally. he just throws a punch like anyone else would. wind breath is just blowing really hard.

stuff like heat vision, flight and cold breath, though, would have to be psionic in nature i think...

I'd think that cold breath is just him blowing to cool somthing down, and thats just how cool his breath gets. ad heat vision well hes an uber alien i just figure the yellow sun gives him abilites that we can't understand

Anti-Monitor
About mach 2.

Endless Mike
you talking about when he flew to rao with the two supermen?

Yeah, Rao was stated to be in the Andromeda galaxy which is millions of light - years away, the calculations said it was a few million times lightspeed (that was using 12 hours for the travel time, which was probably an overestimation)

Raoul
Originally posted by jalek moye
I'd think that cold breath is just him blowing to cool somthing down, and thats just how cool his breath gets. ad heat vision well hes an uber alien i just figure the yellow sun gives him abilites that we can't understand

i just remember what yat said about it in glc, how it was almost an automatic response, which would indicate some sort of mental faculty, at least for me...

Yeah, Rao was stated to be in the Andromeda galaxy which is millions of light - years away, the calculations said it was a few million times lightspeed (that was using 12 hours for the travel time, which was probably an overestimation)

is this real rao or comic rao? cos afaik, the comics can't seem to decide... i remember they once said krypton was in sector 2813...

jalek moye
i just remember what yat said about it in glc, how it was almost an automatic response, which would indicate some sort of mental faculty, at least for me...

wouldn't that just mean its like a defense mechanism, but im sure its actually somthing in their eyes that works it. Obviosuly their mind controls it like it does everything else in their bodies, but i dont think it would be physic in nature.

Magee
i just remember what yat said about it in glc, how it was almost an automatic response, which would indicate some sort of mental faculty, at least for me... I would think it is like his Super strength and Durability in that it is just his natural physiology. When a normal person blows hard it is cold air but with Superman it is well, super cold.

Cartesian Doubt
I thought he had some sort of Superconductive membrane surrounding his CNS, which attracts and repulses gravity, in the same way a magnet does to metal ? Maybe it effects the "Dark Force" that expanded the universe at the beginning of time ?

IMO, he shouldn't be able to go faster than D.C. light speed due to the counter intuitive things that happen when you reach these Speeds, infinite mass, time travel etc. But whose to say that the D.C. universes light speed isn't ALOT faster than ours. I.e. it doesn't take eight mins for light to reach D.C. earth from the sun, it takes a matter of nano secs ?

skygunner41
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
I thought he had some sort of Superconductive membrane surrounding his CNS, which attracts and repulses gravity, in the same way a magnet does to metal ? Maybe it effects the "Dark Force" that expanded the universe at the beginning of time ?

IMO, he shouldn't be able to go faster than D.C. light speed due to the counter intuitive things that happen when you reach these Speeds, infinite mass, time travel etc. But whose to say that the D.C. universes light speed isn't ALOT faster than ours. I.e. it doesn't take eight mins for light to reach D.C. earth from the sun, it takes a matter of nano secs ?

Why he shouldn't go faster than light many marvel heroes already reach light speed regardless of science. ?I believe double standard involved here.

Wild Shadow
what did the writer who wrote the saturn flight feat in under 4 minutes have to say about supes actual flight speed?

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by skygunner41
Why he shouldn't go faster than light many marvel heroes already reach light speed regardless of science. ?I believe double standard involved here.

OMG ... y would u think i would even give a crap about that? I don't give **** about some silly little inter corporation competition between the two company's. Im talking about maintaining standards in common sense. A physical being going faster than the speed of ligght without some kind of deus ex machina, is like making a 4 sided triangle ... its just plain retarded.

I don't give a crap about making him less powerful than other characters. I just hate the idea of intuitive, logical rules being ignored. The fact that you are stupid enough to consider that people think like that, makes me incredibly sorry for you and all genetic offspring you may spawn.

I know im getting way over the top angry about this, but this is about the zillionth time, i've had to clarify my position to some one like yourself.

For Gods sakes, comic book characters are not like sports teams. Its not necessary to support them to the point of mental disability. Not everyone cares whether Thor is more powerful than Superman, or whether the hulk can lift more than Wonder Woman?

Stop reading comics for the sake of some wierd meta-literacy competition. It doesn't exist !!! You might as well try counting to Infinity, or capture your shadow.

skygunner41
OMG ... y would u think i would even give a crap about that? I don't give **** about some silly little inter corporation competition between the two company's. Im talking about maintaining standards in common sense. A physical being going faster than the speed of ligght without some kind of deus ex machina, is like making a 4 sided triangle ... its just plain retarded.

I don't give a crap about making him less powerful than other characters. I just hate the idea of intuitive, logical rules being ignored. The fact that you are stupid enough to consider that people think like that, makes me incredibly sorry for you and all genetic offspring you may spawn.

I know im getting way over the top angry about this, but this is about the zillionth time, i've had to clarify my position to some one like yourself.

For Gods sakes, comic book characters are not like sports teams. Its not necessary to support them to the point of mental disability. Not everyone cares whether Thor is more powerful than Superman, or whether the hulk can lift more than Wonder Woman?

Stop reading comics for the sake of some wierd meta-literacy competition. It doesn't exist !!! You might as well try counting to Infinity, or capture your shadow.

It comic book for god sake,science are not predominantly accurate of usage in comic and if you care about accuracy of science theorem so much why you bother posting in comic forum and tried to give reason to many super act in correct science theory and fact because none of real world fact can't be applied in comic. If real science is applied I doubt none of super hero can't be created.

tsscls

Light speed as a universal speed limit is sooo old school, Einstein thinking. Jump on board the Quantum school bus and take a trip into hyperspace. Seriously, I think with the leaps and bounds made in theoretical quantum physics in the past 10 years, I have no problem with him going >light speed. As long as it's half-assed explained. And I mean half-assed, I'm that stupid.

Raoul
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
what did the writer who wrote the saturn flight feat in under 4 minutes have to say about supes actual flight speed?

why don't we ask the writer of the vega feat or the "flying to the sun in under a minute" feat too?

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Wild Shadow

He said, "Supes can do better"

Cartesian Doubt
It comic book for god sake,science are not predominantly accurate of usage in comic and if you care about accuracy of science theorem so much why you bother posting in comic forum and tried to give reason to many super act in correct science theory and fact because none of real world fact can't be applied in comic. If real science is applied I doubt none of super hero can't be created.

Its not science its common sense ... rationalism vs empiricism.
Going Faster than the speed of light is retarded as having a female bachelor or a four sided triangle. People don't understand the implications of it so, don't see it in this light, but If there is no universal speed limit all common sense brakes down. People start arriving before you see them, People arrive at destinations, before journeys start. Mass becomes less the faster you go , etc ! It would like having cold flames, or flat mountains, children with no parents. Its just plain retarded.

Eel O'Brien
children with no parents. Its just plain retarded.

Batman would be very offended...

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
Batman would be very offended...

BORN ... with no parents !

Eel O'Brien
BORN ... with no parents ! laughing out loud

If you don't mind my asking; do you read comics regularly? If so, do you enjoy them?

You have to allow for suspension of disbelief or else your head will explode.

skygunner41
Or you need to get yourself a good woman.

Raoul
Or you need to get yourself a good woman.

why not both?

Eel O'Brien
why not both?

because that might make your head explode, too!

Raoul
because that might make your head explode, too!

in a good or bad way? awesome

Eel O'Brien
in a good or bad way? awesome
blowup

You decide...

Cartesian Doubt
laughing out loud

If you don't mind my asking; do you read comics regularly? If so, do you enjoy them?

You have to allow for suspension of disbelief or else your head will explode.

Anyone who plays the "suspension" of disbelief card is a hypocrite. If no rules where applicable to comics then no one would ever be entitled to complain about continuity, or that silly little concept that Kmc has invented ... PIS. Comics obviously have applicable rules, if they didn't no one would read them. The only reason they have become more sophisticated over the last few years is that, more "rules" have been applied. If you can't see that then you are a moron. So play the whole, "you shouldn't give a shit about plot consistency, because it doesn't really matter"; card. But in the end it makes you a hypocrite. If you can't understand that common sense should be applied to comics, then your an idiot. Its not my fault that you are too ignorant to see the counter intuitiveness of F.T.L. speeds, without deus ex machinas (like quantum mechanics, mentioned earlier). IMO you might as well be some kind of ignorant zealot dogmatically stating that comic book "earths" should be flat. Just because you don't understand the retardedness of F.T.L. travel, doesn't mean that it should be ignored. And that is basically your point !!1

zeel
as fast as the writers choose to make him.

Enyalus
Anyone who plays the "suspension" of disbelief card is a hypocrite. If no rules where applicable to comics then no one would ever be entitled to complain about continuity, or that silly little concept that Kmc has invented ... PIS. Comics obviously have applicable rules, if they didn't no one would read them. The only reason they have become more sophisticated over the last few years is that, more "rules" have been applied. If you can't see that then you are a moron. So play the whole, "you shouldn't give a shit about plot consistency, because it doesn't really matter"; card. But in the end it makes you a hypocrite. If you can't understand that common sense should be applied to comics, then your an idiot. Its not my fault that you are too ignorant to see the counter intuitiveness of F.T.L. speeds, without deus ex machinas (like quantum mechanics, mentioned earlier). IMO you might as well be some kind of ignorant zealot dogmatically stating that comic book "earths" should be flat. Just because you don't understand the retardedness of F.T.L. travel, doesn't mean that it should be ignored. And that is basically your point !!1

I agree. I mean, in late '99-'00 Superman himself said he couldn't go faster than light. I realize he's been upgraded once or twice since, but even uber Supermen like Prime seem to imply they can't...I mean, Prime states that he was going to "fly through Oa at light speed" in order to destroy it. DC seems to have a great grasp on physics. Nothing with mass should be able to hit light speed, because the energy needed to hit that speed goes to infinity (due to mass increasing exponentially.) Flash can do it because the Speed Force says, "Hey - **** Einstein." On panel - via narration, Supes has gone light speed before. Most of the limited amount of times he's supposedly gone over are vague. Relying on distances where none is mentioned or # of panels used, etc. So evidence for him being FTL can be argued either way...and IMO, he's not.

Eel O'Brien

so, am I a hypocrite, a moron, an idiot, ignorant, or a zealot?

or all of the above...

Endless Mike
How does crossing distances in a faster time than light would take not make someone lightspeed?

Unless you are denying that speed = distance/time

And if that was true the entire laws of physics and logic would fall apart and nothing would make sense, so you might as well just take a pencil and scribble randomly on a page and say that's a comic because it would make just as much sense.

skygunner41
Originally posted by Enyalus
I agree. I mean, in late '99-'00 Superman himself said he couldn't go faster than light. I realize he's been upgraded once or twice since, but even uber Supermen like Prime seem to imply they can't...I mean, Prime states that he was going to "fly through Oa at light speed" in order to destroy it. DC seems to have a great grasp on physics. Nothing with mass should be able to hit light speed, because the energy needed to hit that speed goes to infinity (due to mass increasing exponentially.) Flash can do it because the Speed Force says, "Hey - **** Einstein." On panel - via narration, Supes has gone light speed before. Most of the limited amount of times he's supposedly gone over are vague. Relying on distances where none is mentioned or # of panels used, etc. So evidence for him being FTL can be argued either way...and IMO, he's not.

GO AWAY! football

Explain how marvel char can go light speed ?

Enyalus
GO AWAY! football

Explain how marvel char can go light speed ?

I don't recall Marvel being very big on Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. DC uses it all the time.

skygunner41
I don't recall Marvel being very big on Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. DC uses it all the time.

doesn't mean DC use it all the time though and btw how about some info marvel about FTL char.what the explanation.

Enyalus
btw how about some info marvel about FTL char.what the explanation.

Or how about you stay on the topic.

skygunner41
Or how about you stay on the topic.

likewise.

vlaaad12345
Arguing superman isn't ftl is nothing short of retarded,he grabbed a person and moved them out of a city in less then a nano second(light travels 1 foot in a nanosecond)he has flown to the sun and back in 2 minutes(16 minute trip at light speed)he has flown to edges of saturn in 4 minutes(light takes about 36+minutes to do the same)he travelled 25 light years in a couple minutes during countdown and during infinite crisis he travelled over a million light years in a short amount of time,there is no arguing anything hes far far ftl.

skygunner41
The question is does he need to go FTL every time?

Enyalus
Originally posted by vlaaad12345
Arguing superman isn't ftl is nothing short of retarded

I wasn't really arguing. I was pointing out there is contradictory evidence.

vlaaad12345
There isn't any contradictory evidence unless you are using superman from around 1998 aka before he was powered up to hit light speed again,he gets stronger every year he is under yellow sun and infinite crisis specifically powered him up when he got his powers back,these days hes at planet shattering far ftl travelling gets knocked out but not really harmed by a supernova levels,either hes ftl or he somehow bends spacetime to arrive at distances impossible to achieve with less then light speed.

Raoul

batman disagrees.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/th_Untitled-Scanned-10.jpg

distance and time. awesome

uhh... no.

common sense? good. logic? fine. application of real world science to several of superman's abilities? no. it's been stated before that his powers (most of them anyways) by their nature contradict scientific fact.

also, coming off a little harsh there, no?

Enyalus
batman disagrees.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/th_Untitled-Scanned-10.jpg

distance and time. awesome

Pfft. I know you photoshopped that.

Eel O'Brien

He did photoshop it.

Batman originally said that superman would be back in less than 12 hours.

Everybody else just waited on him... big grin

Raoul

laughing

He did photoshop it.

Batman originally said that superman would be back in less than 12 hours.

Everybody else just waited on him... big grin

laughing out loud

The Great Galen
Well a rough estimate would be several hundred times the speed of light, not really quantfied unfortunatly as far as his base stats are concerned.

The Great Galen

I know this was from the first page, but it's actually a good question. From what I've seen eluded to in his comics,it would seem supes"flight"operates as another fucntion of movement that is controlled mentally....as you would expect with any bodily movement such walking,running,throwing a punch or whatever. Being able to"fly faster"would be like knowing how run faster or how to throw a jab quicker...it all comes down to movement economy.

Enyalus
laughing

I guess, then, my answer to the OP would be something to the affect of, "As fast as he needs or wants to go, so long as that is less than the Flash's top speed."

Raoul
I guess, then, my answer to the OP would be something to the affect of, "As fast as he needs or wants to go, so long as that is less than the Flash's top speed."

sounds right to me, given that the flash rarely goes as fast as he can... awesome

Enyalus
sounds right to me, given that the flash rarely goes as fast as he can... awesome

Like in FC when he was struggling to go superluminal?

*sigh* I like Flash too much.

Raoul
Like in FC when he was struggling to go superluminal?

*sigh* I like Flash too much.

one example... tsk tsk.

The Great Galen
one example... tsk tsk.

That doesn't sound like Eny at all smile

kgkg
How fast?

Varies from writer to writer

Cartesian Doubt

also, coming off a little harsh there, no?

Yeah i did over react ... I was really quite drunk at the time ... its a little embarrassing in fact.

Silent Guardian
Faster than a speeding bullet!

duh!!!

stick out tongue

Eel O'Brien
Yeah i did over react ... I was really quite drunk at the time ... its a little embarrassing in fact.

So you don't always sound that way.

Well, that's reassuring...

Enyalus

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x287/Deywos/th_LSProblems.jpg

That's why you don't go beyond light speed if you hold to Einstein's theories, which DC clearly does. Flash can do it because of the Speed Force thing. No one else gets that pass.

skygunner41

That's why you don't go beyond light speed if you hold to Einstein's theories, which DC clearly does. Flash can do it because of the Speed Force thing. No one else gets that pass.

What brainy said...?

Enyalus
What brainy said...?

Apparently. Brainy's a smart dude.

I mean, even the Black Racer can't go FTL.

skygunner41
Apparently. Brainy's a smart dude.

I mean, even the Black Racer can't go FTL.

So anyone FTL ....destroy universe.?

Enyalus
So anyone FTL ....destroy universe.?

Without the Speed Force, that's what Brainy seems to think. Unless it's like Raoul says it could be and Superman flies by folding space.

skygunner41
Without the Speed Force, that's what Brainy seems to think. Unless it's like Raoul says it could be and Superman flies by folding space.

It seem batman , desaad and darkseid had said the same thing.

Enyalus
It seem batman , desaad and darkseid had said the same thing.

Raoul's smarter than those noobs.

Raoul

the problem with that, of course, is that superman's powers have been said to contradict the laws of physics and science in general. i don't think he just accelerates and gains mass the way any normal object would.

Endless Mike
Well in most fiction they have some kind of "cheat" to bypass light speed.

Like in Star Trek they have warp drive, which creates a bubble of space around the ship and moves that instead

Or Hyperdrive from Star Wars when the ship is converted to a tachyonic state (that's the official explanation, anyway)

Or in Babylon 5 they have hyperspace where they enter another dimension and reenter normal space

Generally if something in fiction is going FTL you can assume it is using a cheat like this to get around relativity

h1a8
Actually I don't believe in Relativity (Special) since I don't believe that the speed of light is constant in all inertia frames.

Thus to me, an object with even the smallest constant acceleration will eventually get to light speed and beyond if time permits.

kgkg
I might make a thread on Marvel and DC light speed Characters and how each characters have been portrait going light speed or failing to do show in different stories.

Enyalus
Originally posted by kgkg
I might make a thread on Marvel and DC light speed Characters and how each characters have been portrait going light speed or failing to do show in different stories.

That'd be interesting. I'd read.

Impediment
Pre-Crisis Superman could fly faster than light speed.

Post-Crisis Superman can fly via tactile telekinesis and could probably break Mach 7.

Endless Mike
Current Supes is waaaaaaaaaaaay faster than mach 7

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Impediment

Post-Crisis Superman can fly via tactile telekinesis and could probably break Mach 7.

Thanks for clearing that up... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Philosophía

haermm

Warrior18

confused

Silent Guardian

That does not sound right

Mach 7 is around 5,000 mph. Which is like nothing for top super speeds in the comics.

Impediment
Umm.....that was a joke, guys. Ha ha ha. Get it? laughing out loud

I know that Supes can fly waaaay faster than that.

Cartesian Doubt
Well in most fiction they have some kind of "cheat" to bypass light speed.

Like in Star Trek they have warp drive, which creates a bubble of space around the ship and moves that instead

Or Hyperdrive from Star Wars when the ship is converted to a tachyonic state (that's the official explanation, anyway)

Or in Babylon 5 they have hyperspace where they enter another dimension and reenter normal space

Generally if something in fiction is going FTL you can assume it is using a cheat like this to get around relativity

If his body uses an anti gravity force to similar to the one that expanded space universe at the beginning of time, then F.T.L would be attainable with enough energy. We're talking exploding star energy, but Superman's powers seemingly transcend the whole solar battery idea.

Badabing

Post-Crisis Superman can fly via tactile telekinesis and could probably break Mach 7. uhuh

I'll give you Mach 7!!!111 durfist

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Badabing
uhuh

That smiley is high-larious. You should include that in all your post regardless of what your saying.

Impediment
Originally posted by Badabing
uhuh

Prepare for.....Ludicrous Speed!

Raoul
Prepare for.....Ludicrous Speed!

laughing out loud

i love that movie.

Mindship
How fast can Superman run? If flying is faster, why?

Magee
I remember Superman trying to catch the Flash and was keeping up with him while running. I don't know if he can fly faster than run but he would cause more damage to the environment around him while running. However he has been shown flying at multiples of light speed but that is in space where he doesn't have to worry about damage.

Mindship
Originally posted by Magee
I remember Superman trying to catch the Flash and was keeping up with him while running. I don't know if he can fly faster than run but he would cause more damage to the environment around him while running. However he has been shown flying at multiples of light speed but that is in space where he doesn't have to worry about damage. Let's say a cosmic entity was curious and materialized a spacepath for Supes to run on, with no people, trees, buildings, no air for shockwaves. Could Superman exceed cee now? Would running = flying speed?

I figure flying > running because it's simpler: no moving parts. But if that's so, how much faster would flying be? 2x? 10x? What?

Magee
Originally posted by Mindship
Let's say a cosmic entity was curious and materialized a spacepath for Supes to run on, with no people, trees, buildings, no air for shockwaves. Could Superman exceed cee now? Would running = flying speed?

I figure flying > running because it's simpler: no moving parts. But if that's so, how much faster would flying be? 2x? 10x? What? Probably quite a lot, I like to think Superman couldn't reach light speed while running.

His fastest flight speed which can be roughly calculated was probably when he flew from vega to Earth. Being generous with the time scale we will say it took 2 minutes (more than likely less) for him to fly the 25 light years which is some thing like 1,049,673,478,315 miles per second.

There is really no way to know since he does not run often, maybe he can run just as fast but it is some thing that we will never see because that trillion+ miles per second feat in countdown was just ridiculous and the writer obviously didn't think how fast he would have to move.

Mindship
Originally posted by Magee
Probably quite a lot, I like to think Superman couldn't reach light speed while running. Ditto. Just the thought of his arms and legs going that fast...seems almost (dare I say) ludicrous, like a fast-speed movie (unless it's depicted the way Flash is seen running in the opener for Justice League animated series...that was pretty cool).

There is really no way to know since he does not run often, maybe he can run just as fast but it is some thing that we will never see because that trillion+ miles per second feat in countdown was just ridiculous and the writer obviously didn't think how fast he would have to move. Seems most of the time that's the case. Well, let me toss this into the equation: since they seem to be two different energy systems (eg, muscles and gravitons), what if Superman added his flight force while running? Wouldn't that be faster than either mode alone? eek!

Magee
Ditto. Just the thought of his arms and legs going that fast...seems almost (dare I say) ludicrous, like a fast-speed movie (unless it's depicted the way Flash is seen running in the opener for Justice League animated series...that was pretty cool) Yea it would look better as a blur sort of thing but I like the idea of really long strides almost like jumping. Using the muscles in his legs to push him self along really fast.

Seems most of the time that's the case. Well, let me toss this into the equation: since they seem to be two different energy systems (eg, muscles and gravitons), what if Superman added his flight force while running? Wouldn't that be faster than either mode alone? eek! Would he not just end up flying though and be in the air moving his arms and legs violently, the mental image of this is making me laugh.

Endless Mike
I don't know if he could run at lightspeed, maybe

Kris Blaze
Fast enough to save the day.

King Castle
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/58424/1442690-supermanv219503n.jpg

-Pr-
he's flown faster than light several times, so that older scan has been invalidated by now...

King Castle
via suspension disbelief, i agree. but by powerset, set for him power wise, no. especially on earth he reduces his speed even more drastically putting him below light speed. do writers at time ignore this for the sake of story, yes. does that mean he is faster then he is suppose to be, no. its just consistency hiccup and lack of overall knowledge. too often in DC they have given reasons why not but a few mostly flash cant reach light speed due to physics and then you get a science nerd who tries to quantify an ability using real science and it fails miserably its a comic dont read more into it.

Flash moves at light speed if he tries to move faster and above that he gets drawn into the speed force... does he have feats where he moves so fast time hold still, yes.. should some one try to quantify the feats b/c there is an explosion releasing radiation and ppl start quantifying the speed of particles and turn around and start spouting how Flash was moving 10x 30x the speed of light..
tryin to give a science lecture an by extesion giving flash a whole new set of powers which he doesnt have but they do it to BS through an argument just to win a debate.

Superman has more statements saying how slow he is to Flash, how he moves below light speed, its bn shown in one way or another like the duo blackholes for every inconsistent feat and lack of science you have an equal amount if not more putting a gap in speed for superman...

tell me if superman is running against flash and he cant keep up and shoots a laser vision from his eyes and the laser cant reach flash how fast are they going, how fast is the laser traveling?

how about when flash is fighting Amazo how fast are they moving compared to superman who is on site and frozen?

that 1% of speed Superman cant and isnt suppose to reach makes a real difference in comics...

-Pr-
his powerset allows him to hit lightspeed. he just doesn't do it on earth because of the damage it would cause. its a self-imposed limitation, nothing else.

plus, as much as he says it, he has far too many showings of going FTL for it to be a fluke or a one off.

flash is far faster than superman. he's far faster than pretty much everyone in DC bar zoom.

when did he fight amazo and move at speeds that would leave superman a statue?

bellsmith98
DC Comics character Superman's powers has changed a great deal since its introduction in 1930s.Superman years have been written by many different people. Their powers have increased depending on his or her writing decreased.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.