Top 5 Worst Gaming Consoles Ever

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tom_servo
I don't know if anyone has seen this list, but it's appalling. When the first console listed is described by, "The Virtual Boy would've been higher on our list, but it was made by Nintendo," you know you're in trouble. It just seems full of constant Sega bashing. I wanted to see what you guys thought of this list.

Original Article: http://old-wizard.com/top-5-worst-gaming-consoles-of-all-time

King-Fingolfin

Why isn't the Philips CD-I on that list?

ThunderGodEneru
...The Sega Genesis the WORST system ever?

That and the fact that his entire opinions seem to be soley based on graphics and his ridiculous Sega bias(I don't think there was a single Sega consol to miss the list) lead me to believe he is an idiot.

Nemesis X
Nintendo Wii I dislike

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Nintendo Wii I dislike Hm.

In that case.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp168/oca_slayer/****You.jpg

Nemesis X
What were you trying to post there Eneru? Trying to make a comeback because I think the Wii sucks?

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Hm.

In that case.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp168/oca_slayer/****You.jpg ...I just owned myself. sad

Nemesis X
...I just owned myself. sad

laughing

ArtificialGlory
SEGA Genesis wasn't a bad console. I can't imagine how you can possibly place the Virtual Boy above SEGA Genesis. That guy just hates SEGA and wuvs Nintendo.

Neo Darkhalen
...The Sega Genesis the WORST system ever?

That and the fact that his entire opinions seem to be soley based on graphics and his ridiculous Sega bias(I don't think there was a single Sega consol to miss the list) lead me to believe he is an idiot.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, that list is completely biased. The Sega Saturn at the time was a more graphically inclined system that had a more diverse gaming catalogue than PS1. I wouldn't put the Saturn near the top, but certainly not near the bottom.

The Dreamcast as well. There is no need to even comment why this is a ridiculous system to include on top five worst consoles.

Lastly, the sega genesis. Saying that the Sega Genesis is the worst system of all time is like saying the SNES is the worst system of all time. Granted, the SNES had a few advantages. The graphics were generally better and the games were far more popular, but not necessarily better. The Genesis and SNES were essentially the same systems. They just generally focused on different types of games.

The virtual boy and the 32X are definitely contenders, especially the Virtual boy since it was way overpriced, caused injuries and only had a dozen or two games in it's library.

My list would look like this

5 Jaguar
4 Ngage
3 Atari 5200 (just utterly pointless)
2 CD-I
1 Virtual Boy

Ushgarak
That is simply not a piece of professionally written journalism.

jinXed by JaNx
just like yahoos' polls

Peach
Originally posted by Ushgarak
That is simply not a piece of professionally written journalism.

And that is a major understatement.

tom_servo
The only thing that kind of bugs me about this list is the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was too expensive? It was $199 if I recall. And the Genesis did NOT kill it. Lack of third party support and the PS2 killed it.

jinXed by JaNx
Anyone who was still playing the Genesis over a Dreamcast and PS2 during that era never intended to buy a Dreamcast or PS2

DorianYates
Xbox 360

Zack Fair
Super Nintendo durw00t

occultdestroyer
5. Philips CD-I
4. Game Boy
3. XBOX
2. Atari 2600
1. Virtual Boy

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
5. Philips CD-I
4. Game Boy
3. XBOX
2. Atari 2600
1. Virtual Boy Your choices are amusing.

Darth Jello
i would definitely put any Xbox system, game.com, atari 5200, phillips cd-i, 3do, and the atari jaguar to that list, and yeah, the sega systems other than the 32x are out of place on the list compared with all the crap that should be on there.

ThunderGodEneru
Why any XBOX system?

Final Blaxican
Hardware issues?

Otherwise, there's no real logical answer.

BackFire
Obviously a piece written by a spastic. What a joke.

MadMel
indeed...seriously, the sega genesis is on that list, but the cd-i isnt?

Kazenji
Yeah the genesis was great, It even had some games that were better on it then what they were Snes.

occultdestroyer
Your choices are amusing.
The original XBOX was a waste of money.
Anyone who did not see through the deception and bought that POS of a console was scammed.

The original Game Boy is in my list because:
a) It impaired my 20/20 vision. The lack of colors and any source of lighting was something that Nintendo should be ashamed of.

b) It uses 4 friggin AA batteries! 4 AA BATTERIES!! Ridiculous! Sure, you can purchase a rechargable battery pack. But for $30? Not to mention the hefty weight and the phone extension that made it look like it had a wang.

General Kaliero
The original XBOX was a waste of money.
Anyone who did not see through the deception and bought that POS of a console was scammed.

The original Game Boy is in my list because:
a) It impaired my 20/20 vision. The lack of colors and any source of lighting was something that Nintendo should be ashamed of.

b) It uses 4 friggin AA batteries! 4 AA BATTERIES!! Ridiculous! Sure, you can purchase a rechargable battery pack. But for $30? Not to mention the hefty weight and the phone extension that made it look like it had a wang.
Well, consider that the other handhelds of the time used six AAs, and couldn't even last as long as the Game Boy with those.

Joker1237
Funny, he mentions Pitt Fighter for Sega, but he forgets that the game was JUST as bad on the Super Nes. It was not sega that made Pitt Fighter bad, it was just a bad game no matter what system it was on lol.

Midway classics II on the PS2, XBox 360 ete had Pitt Fighter, did the game impove on these sysems?? Nope, the game was just as bad as it was in its hey day, if it had a hey day lol.

Ultimate Wil
Wii and DS

tom_servo
Here's MY freaking list.

5. The X-Box 360. Why? Hardware issues. It's not that the console doesn't have a ton of great games for it. It does. What kills it is the constant plague of RRoD reports the console seems to STILL be having after the launch..what, two years ago? Mine has been plagued by Cooling System failures, and Disc Tray issues. I'm not dogging on its success because the PS3 has apparently sold more. At a time, the 360 was outselling PS3. No, I'm dogging it for the shitty way Microsoft put the console together. It's a great system if you can find one that'll last. My first system lasted two years, so it is possible.

4. CD-i. Marketed as an interactive player, it didn't really help that no one knew what the damned thing was. There was hardly any advertising at all save for infomercials that no one watched. The system was discontinued in '98 when more powerful and cheaper consoles were released. It sold only 570,000 units. Really. Who did you know that had a CD-i?

3. 3DO. It was bulky, it was pricey.. $700, and it failed. Most notably because of the mentioned price tag. No one wanted to pay 700 bucks for a complete 'audio and visual experience'.

2. Atari 5200. If there was ever a time that an unnecessary console hit the market..it was the 5200. Backwards compatibility was never apart of the console, though it was later rectified. It failed because there was too much focus on the 2600.

1. Virtual Boy. Why? Why? Why? The godfather of the Gameboy clearly had good intentions with the monochrome red device, but it failed. It gave you headaches, and the pseudo 3Dness of it wasn't really 3D in the first place. Besides, the headache the thing gave you was enough to throw the thing out the window.

Darth Jello
Why any XBOX system?

No good games, charging for internet, crappy controllers, a huge rate of failure (an EU report in a class action lawsuit said that 60% of 360's suffered general hardware failure, the industry standard is 3-5%)

Nemesis X
The real issue people have with the Xbox is the damn Red Ring of Death.
It's happened to me before. My first 360 I had to ship to a repair station and waited for 3 weeks. It came back, it was a replacement, I played for three months and the stupid thing suddenly got the Red Ring. I had to ship it again and it came back 3 weeks and a few days later. If this happens to me again, I'm swearing at the customer service when I call them.

I'm not saying I hate the 360, I just hate the errors it has.

tom_servo
You can't place "Charging for Internet" as a basis for why a system is bad. Anyone who uses that argument against the 360 is f'ing stupid. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. And there's no good games? Have you been living under a rock the past five years or so?

Final Blaxican
If he wants to think that the PSFail is better, that's his prerogative.

I feel that the PS3 sucks because it has a shitty controller and one game that I'd ever want to play.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Darth Jello
No good games.

What the heck are you talking about? Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo, Fable, I should beat some sense into you for speaking so arrogant.

KakashiKun
The dreamcast was awesome wtf?

tom_servo
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
I feel that the PS3 sucks because it has a shitty controller and one game that I'd ever want to play.

Quoted for truth. The PS3's controller is horrible. Let me guess what that one game is.

MGS 4?
Drake's Fortune?

Sony has very few killer apps compared to Microsoft.

Final Blaxican
Yeah... those are actually two that I like.

I might, might be intrested in Killzone 2. Killzone 1 was moderately entertaining.

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by Darth Jello
No good games Stopped reading.

The PS3 is gay. Like you all said, no games I could really give a shit about but MGS4, and when it comes out, God of War 3, and I will force myself to buy a PS3 for that.

occultdestroyer
I have nothing against the 360, except for it's extremely poor hardware.

Sure, you get an extensive library of games but do you think the price you paid for cheap hardware is justified??

I own one, and had it replaced about 5x.
If that RRoD happens again, i'll ditch it like I did the Wii.

"PS3 is gay"??
The GoW series is better than anything Microsoft has ever come up with.

PS: The original XBOX should be #2 in my list of worst consoles.

ThunderGodEneru

Sure, you get an extensive library of games but do you think the price you paid for cheap hardware is justified??

"PS3 is gay"??

PS: The original XBOX should be #2 in my list of worst consoles. Reasonably true.

Except PS3 has no good games, and I play game consoles to play games, games I like.

Other than MGS4 and GoW3, everything else can fvck off.

Kazenji

And how long ago was that ?

Microsoft came out with the Age of games but since we're not talking about the PC here then its nothing roll eyes (sarcastic)

As for the PS3 it has too many ports of games which you can find on the 360 and some of them played better on the 360.

jinXed by JaNx

"PS3 is gay"??

PS: The original XBOX should be #2 in my list of worst consoles.

I almost completely agree. I now hate Microsoft more than i did when i first purchased a 360. It doesn't matter how good their next console may be. I will never own another Microsoft console or product. Yes, my experience with the 360 has caused me to avoid everything Microsoft. The hardware is a joke, or better yet, an insult. Considering their blunder in faulty design. You would think that they might go out of their way to do something for their audience. Maybe, discounted peripherals or even some free downloadable content but no, they jack their prices up as high as they can and offer nothing but a "better luck with your next 360" BULLSHIT! I used to believe that the Xbox 360 was superior to the PS3 because the 360 was designed for games and nothing else but im convinced now. The PS3 is far and away a better system to own than the 360.

Considering all of this, the 360 should be acknowledged on a list for worst consoles of all time but only acknowledged, not listed.

I do have to disagree though, God of War is good but it doesn't single handedly destroy Xboxs' entire library of exclusives. laughing out loud

Quincy
I haven't played all of the consoles, so I can't really make a list,

but I did play the virtual boy once, and can vouch for its suckiness.

What about the POWER GLOVE???

Neo Darkhalen
I find it amusing that I've had a 360 for about 2 years now, and never once has it broke down, yet my friend brought a PS3 recently and after 3 weeks in broke due to overheat.

I've also heard that the PS3 has it's own version of the RROD, not saying that it's acceptable for both consoles to break down, but it seems like the norm to always criticise the Xbox when even the PS3 encounters problems, even if they aren't as frequent on the PS3. Oh and not good selection of games on 360......lol!

But yes the 360 is still a good console, if you can get around the cheap price cuts, which both Microsoft AND Sony are implementing in their systems now.

Although I'm still waiting for the PS3 to pick it's game up and dominate the market like it should have done from the start.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I find it amusing that I've had a 360 for about 2 years now, and never once has it broke down, yet my friend brought a PS3 recently and after 3 weeks in broke due to overheat.

I've also heard that the PS3 has it's own version of the RROD, not saying that it's acceptable for both consoles to break down, but it seems like the norm to always criticise the Xbox when even the PS3 encounters problems, even if they aren't as frequent on the PS3. Oh and not good selection of games on 360......lol!

But yes the 360 is still a good console, if you can get around the cheap price cuts, which both Microsoft AND Sony are implementing in their systems now.

Although I'm still waiting for the PS3 to pick it's game up and dominate the market like it should have done from the start.
didn't your 360 RRoD'ed already? I could swear you posted that once confused

Zack Fair
The 360's faulty hardware is annoying and riculous. Honestly...one can try and defend microsoft by advocating their warranty but come the **** on. It is ridiculous. To be honest I don't have a single friend whose 360 hasn't broken. That is just wrong. Although the 360 has a great library...the console's hardware itself is stupidly faulty.

Oh and I am a 360 fanboy, go figure.

tom_servo

Yeah. It is a good console if you can find one that'll last. My first system lasted two years. I just love these people that'll say.."OMG. I'll never buy a Microsoft console again!" You'll see those same people two years later excited for the next system. It's laughable.

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by Zack Fair
The 360's faulty hardware is annoying and riculous. Honestly...one can try and defend microsoft by advocating their warranty but come the **** on. It is ridiculous. To be honest I don't have a single friend whose 360 hasn't broken. That is just wrong. Although the 360 has a great library...the console's hardware itself is stupidly faulty.

Oh and I am a 360 fanboy, go figure. I'd rather have a console that occasionally fvcks up than a console that I would almost never play.

Final Blaxican

Same with me.

Had my 360 for two, almost three years now and not a single problem. I do know someone who owns a PS3 that crapped out because the BLU-RAY player itself burnt out. I lulz'd.

As for God of War being the best... nigga please. I prefer Prince of Persia infinitely. As for exclusives, I prefer shooters such as Gears to any platforming shit like GOW. haha.

Peach
Reasonably true.

Except PS3 has no good games, and I play game consoles to play games, games I like.

Other than MGS4 and GoW3, everything else can fvck off.

Even MGS and GoW aren't worth playing, in my opinion. Not everyone likes those games. And don't forget that Sony lost Final Fantasy XIII - FF is one of the biggest selling franchises ever.

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Same with me.

Had my 360 for two, almost three years now and not a single problem. I do know someone who owns a PS3 that crapped out because the BLU-RAY player itself burnt out. I lulz'd.

As for God of War being the best... nigga please. I prefer Prince of Persia infinitely. As for exclusives, I prefer shooters such as Gears to any platforming shit like GOW. haha.

Haha, yes, PoP > God of War a million times over. I don't think many people realize just how much influence the PoP series has had over video games made in the past 20 years, really.

ThunderGodEneru
I disagree.

God of War>Prince of Persia, and>>>>>Gears of War.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Peach
And don't forget that Sony lost Final Fantasy XIII - FF is one of the biggest selling franchises ever.
thumb up

The FF series is what made the PS1 and PS2 outsell the other consoles.

This is one of the reasons why the original XBOX did not sell well.

thumb down

GoW >>> PoP

From graphics to voice-overs to storyline, GoW is obviously better.
And the pro reviewers and gamers will agree.

General Kaliero
thumb up

The FF series is what made the PS1 and PS2 outsell the other consoles.

This is one of the reasons why the original XBOX did not sell well.

thumb down

GoW >>> PoP

From graphics to voice-overs to storyline, GoW is obviously better.
And the pro reviewers and gamers will agree.
The storyline to GoW has absolutely nothing on the deep genius of PoP's storyline.

I'm talking, of course, about the recent trilogy. The new one hasn't had as much time to simmer in creative juices, yet.

And I'll take the Prince's classy witticisms over Kratos' hoarse, testosterone-laced growling any day.

ThunderGodEneru
Out of curiosity, what makes the storyline of PoP so "deep" and "genius" in your opinion?

I'm not trying to argue it, it is your opinion, I am genuinly curious.

Although I will say that Kratos' character is underrated by many IMO, referring to Kratos as a testosterone driven brute is a gross oversimplification.

General Kaliero
Sands of Time developed a believable human relationship between the Prince and Farah, and the story had twists and turns that were truly surprising, culminating in a perfectly closed circular story that ties the narrative into the game world, where it turns out that you've been playing the story as the Prince tells it to Farah afterward.

Warrior Within, much as I dislike the darker, more immature tone, did a twisted parallel timeline story right. About halfway through the game, the mysterious Sandwraith allows the Dahaka to kill him, giving the Prince a chance to escape. Later, when it is revealed that the Prince himself becomes the Sandwraith, he comes from the other side of the event and allows the Dahaka to kill his parallel self, changing time as necessary to survival. And the concept of the Dahaka itself is a great one.

The Two Thrones was a bit weaker in its own plot, but it succeeds in tying the three games into a single story. The twin personalities in the Prince brought back the feel of SoT, while validating, at least in my opinion, the darker personality of the Prince in WW. Even more interesting was the twist of actual punishment for messing with time, as through the events of WW he undid the Vizier's death in SoT, leading to the attack on Babylon in T2T. And then at the very end, the Prince begins telling Farah his story again (since through the two sequels he erased telling her the story in the first place), expanding the loop of the first game to include the entire trilogy in a perfect circle, as SoT begins on the final words of T2T.

As for Kratos, I will agree he has a deep and interesting sympathetic character. I was just saying that, as far as the voice work goes, I think the Prince was better portrayed.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
Even MGS and GoW aren't worth playing

MGS isn't worth playing?! Way to disrespect Snake like that. Did people tell you not to pick on the elderly? MGS is one of the many reasons people buy a PS3, what's wrong with you?

Gears of War isn't worth playing either?! You just took a new low.

Peach
MGS isn't worth playing?! Way to disrespect Snake like that. Did people tell you not to pick on the elderly? MGS is one of the many reasons people buy a PS3, what's wrong with you?

I don't like MGS. I never have. For some people it might be a reason to buy a PS3. Not for me.

And I meant God of War, though I'm not a huge fan of Gears, either.

General Kaliero

Some people just don't like those kinds of games. I've never liked the MGS series, and Gears of War is just boring in my opinion.

Nemesis X
What's wrong with MGS and Gears of War?

General Kaliero
MGS: Don't like how the stealth element is done, the controls are shoddy, the plots are pointlessly inane, and the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio is horribly out of balance.

Gears of War: Just another "manly man shoots aliens because they look different, in a universe made of brown" game. I swear, they come out of clone vats.

Peach

Other than the fact that I find them overrated and boring?

I haven't been a fan of MGS since I played the first one for PS1 about a dozen years ago (the only things fun about it to me were playing around with the cardboard box and setting up C4 traps on stairwells, as the AI was incredibly stupid), and shooters in general don't impress me so I didn't hugely care for Gears.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by General Kaliero
MGS: Don't like how the stealth element is done, the controls are shoddy, the plots are pointlessly inane, and the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio is horribly out of balance.

Gears of War: Just another "manly man shoots aliens because they look different, in a universe made of brown" game. I swear, they come out of clone vats.

About MGS's control...have you played MGS4? The controls have been vastly imrpoved.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Zack Fair
About MGS's control...have you played MGS4? The controls have been vastly imrpoved.
No, I've not played 4. If the controls have been improved, that's good. But the controls are hardly my only reason for disliking the series.

I really think Kojima needs to stop lying to himself and just make CGI movies like everyone knows he wants to. I can sit through a movie playing itself. Not so much a game playing itself.

Kazenji
.MGS: Don't like how the stealth element is done

Its not that hard to work out

For which one part ?

I suppose with the Second game, sure

I agree with that especally from what i heard about the 4th game, Kojima needs to cut back on the cutscenes

Most likey theres a more better reason then that

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Kazenji
Its not that hard to work out

For which one part ?

I suppose with the Second game, sure

I agree with that especally from what i heard about the 4th game, Kojima needs to cut back on the cutscenes

Most likey theres a more better reason then that
I didn't think the stealth was hard, not at all. I just didn't like it. *shrugs*

The controls in general, though in particular shooting annoyed me.

No, all the plots are ridiculous. From MGS through MGS4.

For Gears of War, no, not really. I don't like things that are overdone, I'm not all that fond of shooters in general, and there's just not anything to hold my interest in there.

Kazenji
IMO MGS 3 was the easiest plot to follow nothing too complicated.

Final Blaxican
I agree, Snake Eater's plot was great imo. Easy to understand.

As for the sneaking gameplay, I agree with GK. It's not hard, it's just, imo, sucky. I won't diss it too much because my only real gripe with it is that it's utterly urnealistic, but they never go for extreme realism anyway.

I prefer Splinter Cell's actual spy gameplay.

ThunderGodEneru
As for Kratos, I will agree he has a deep and interesting sympathetic character. I was just saying that, as far as the voice work goes, I think the Prince was better portrayed. Like I said, I won't argue your opinion...But how do you think Kratos should sound? For his character, I think Kratos was excellently portrayed. Although he is not just the testosterone enhanced angry brute he is said to be by people, his rage does play a large part of his character, he is a character ultimately driven by emotion, not thought. And he happens to be angry alot lol.

And Snake Eater was my favorite MGS, not only because of how they introduced Volgin, one of my favorite MGS characters.

But...How is the story hard to follow? For any of the games lol?

General Kaliero
Okay, seriously, you guys. It's not that I find the stories hard to follow. It's that the plots, their twists and how Snake reacts to them are patently absurd. Kojima picks the worst tropes and sticks to them doggedly, riding them so straight that the whole thing becomes a parody of itself. Is there an MGS game that hasn't included a massive Xanatos-esque plot to manipulate everyone through what appear to be or are completely chance happenings?

ThunderGodEneru
You know, I can answer that if you tell me what Xanatos is.

Zack Fair
IMO MGS3 isn't as good as the rest of games. Granted the story was much simpler than Son of Liberty.

Kazenji

I'm guessing its either the guy from Gargoyles or Star Wars.

General Kaliero
David Xanatos (a.k.a. Riker), the big bad for Gargoyles. He was known for complex schemes and knowing his enemies so well that he incorporated their actions into his plans.

The difference being, Xanatos was badass enough to pull it off without looking ridiculous.

ThunderGodEneru
...The villains of MGS are badass. miffed

Kazenji
Obvisouly not enough for General Kaliero......

ESB -1138
Whoo...that's a biased list. The Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast were great systems and I could name a dozen and one games for each system to support my claims. I'm amazed that the Jaguar, Atari 5200, and I could go on didn't make it. Sounds more like he just doesn't like Sega for some reason and decided to bash them. I always placed the Genesis high up in my list of best systems and I still find the Dreamcast fun and as one of the best systems for gaming ever.

occultdestroyer
Apple Pippen sucked.

Also,
"I love the Power Glove. It is so bad."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.