Instead of fighting Persians, the 300 fight any of the following:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UKR
These are the 300 Spartans from the cartoonishly anti-historical 200X movie 300 (kicking black ppl down bottomless pits, lolzorz). The guys the Spartans fight have the exact same numbers the Persians would've. Enemies can be the following. Note that said enemies will have realistic stats, abilities, tactics, methods, strategies, leadership and equipment. I never saw the movie, so if the Spartans lose other than in a fair fight (I read on Wiki that in real life, a traitor showed the Persians a secret pass around the mountains to the Spartans' weak spot, or something like that), assume that that's not how it goes down; they have to be beaten in battle.

-Crusaders (any of the Crusades)
-Medieval European army (England, France, etc) from the late middle ages, no artillery (cannons were used as early as the Hundred Years' War)
-medieval Japanese army (before the arrival of guns & explosives)
-The Romans
-Carthaginians
-Sumerians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Canaanites, Phoenicians or other Mideast peoples
-Ancient Chinese
-Elamites
-Ancient Egyptians
-Israelites/Hebrews
-Ancient India
-Vikings
-Celts
-Saracens/Arabs, such as from the era of the Crusades
-Medieval Turks

Warrior18
In before close.

-Crusaders-Spartans lose hard. In the movie their spears weren't very long. A charge by even the earliest crusader heavy mailed knights could ride them down. Never mind the infantry and crossbow bolts...............

-Medieval European army (England, France, etc) from the late middle ages, no artillery (cannons were used as early as the Hundred Years' War)-Spartans movie and historical get decimated. English longbowmen and anyone with a good crossbow have a field day.

-medieval Japanese army-Spartans lose again. Later weapons and armour count heavily against them.Samurai archers could simply pick them off.

-The Romans-Guess you mean Rome after 27BC? The age of the emperors?Romans win against both movie and historical ones. Roman pila would be thrown and could very likely pierce Spartan shields. If not the ingenious design of the pila would mean it embeds in the shields rendering them unmanageable. Then its just the sheildless Spartans v oncoming meat grinder of gladius, legionnaire and large shield. Interestingly the Romans couldn't win the way they did at Pydna against Macedon, by attacking the flanks of the immobile phalanx. This is because of the fact that in the movie at least the Greeks were defending a narrow gap thus making it impossible to flank them.

-Carthaginians- Guess you mean Carthaginians under Hannibal? Here we had an incredibly versatile and well mixed army under the command of one of the greatest if not the greatest commander in human history. I'm sure he could use his tremendously flexible army and incredible genius to unpick the Spartans both fictional and historic.

-Sumerians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Canaanites, Phoenicians or other Mideast peoples-Sumerians were very very ancient. Four wheeled chariots pulled by asses(donkeys) lol. Spartans both real and fictional would kill them. Canaanites and their contemporary Pheonecians (they too were basically Canaanite) would get owned as well.
The Babylonians (those around Nebuchadnezzar II's time) and Neo-Assyrians however would give a good fight. Both these peoples for their time were the top dogs militarily in the near east. Though they were around before the said Spartans heyday.

-Ancient Chinese-No idea. China has a vast history and there were so many different kingdoms throughout their history. Impossible to say without specification. Though historically the Chinese have always had a deserved rep for being very sound militarily.

-Elamites- Again same as the Canaanites. Too ancient. They were a not too powerful bronze age kingdom I think.Why them? They were crap lol.

-Ancient Egyptians-By this you must mean New Kingdom Egypt. Although at their comparative best only during the Bronze Age, they were still a relatively advanced Empire when it came to war. They would not be able to match Spartan infantry however their powerful composite bows fired from very fast chariots would give them range and mobility, but that is it. Could they wither the outnumbered Spartans with arrows? Real life Spartans at Thermopylae had about 60 pound of armour on. Film version had none lol.

-Israelites/Hebrews- Same as Canaanites.

-Ancient India-Same as China. Vast history with so many different kingdoms, empires and armies. Need to be more specific. Though king Porus did give Alexander the Great and his (far superior to any Spartan army) Macedonians a run for his money at Hydaspes in 325BC.Though there were other factors at work too during that battle.

-Vikings-No idea.Don't know much about them. I guess you mean old school stereotypical Viking raiders.Though probably said Spartans due to sheer organization. Vikings earned their rep during the so called 'Dark Ages' plundering the shores of England then eventually invading and settling. Overated in my opinion.
-Celts- Large history with so many kingdoms and peoples. Though still Spartans through organisation.

-Saracens/Arabs, such as from the era of the Crusades-Again on the whole they would utterly own the Spartans. Later weapons and tactics for the win. Though you could be more specific. The dynasties that fought the crusaders were the Fatimids, Ayyubids, Mamelukes and assorted Turkish groups(Seljuks, Atabegs etc). Only the Fatimids were an Arab dynasty. The Ayyubids were Kurds and their armies made up of various peoples from the near Islamic world, particularly Turkic peoples under the mameluke military system as well as arabs. The Mamelukes of Egypt were those very same Turkic military elites only this time they launched a coup and came to power. The armies were the same as the Ayyubids, the mameluke military system as the back bone.

-Medieval Turks- Seljuks, Great Seljuks, Oghuz Turks?Again broad people with many definitions. For the record they get the win against the spartans.

Priest
Good Post thumb up

Warrior18
Originally posted by Priest
Good Post thumb up

Thanks. smile

I'm just waiting for someone better or more knowledgeable to highlight l any facts I may have got wrong though. sad

Utrigita
300.000 Vikings versus the 300 Spartans? The 300.000 Vikings, wins if not because of their tactic then because of their superior weaponry, the viking even succeed in founding normandy and invading Britain, Knud the Great was the name of the danish king that invaded Britain. imo the Vikings would because of their strategy (rush and kill) loss lots of men, but in the long run there steel/iron weapon and armor would render the Spartans Weapon, which is bronze I believe, useless, also circumstances, what are the viking equiped for, war ore raiding? War they would be carrying Bows as well.

As for the Old Egypt, they lose, however I would say that the Chariots ought to have a fair chance of running straight through the Spartans, I believe that was why the Egyptians lost to the Hyksos in the first place, there shield walls (below the Greeks granted) couldn't stand against the charge of the Chariots.

Else Agreed very nice post thumb up

carnage52
vikings are beasts in battle tho.

Utrigita
In some aspects, In raiding they rely on fear for quick raiding and they try to avoid strong defended cities, when however they are at War there warfare change drastically. So imo it depends on under what circumstances the Vikings fight the Spartans.

Wei Phoenix
Yes because this has something to do with comics.

Enyalus
Crusaders - See Warrior's post.

Medieval European Army - See Warrior's post. Although the factual, non-movie Spartans would eat those guys alive.

Medieval Japanese Army - See Warrior's post. Although the factual, non movie Spartans would eat those guys alive, too.

Romans - Republican era Rome stomps the Spartans. Late Emperial era gets owned.

Carthaginians - See Warrior's post.

Mid-Eastern Ancient Armies - Spartans in a rout.

Ancient Chinese - Movie Spartans get routed. Factual Spartans win, though.

Elamites - See Warrior's post.

Ancient Egyptians - Movie or factual Spartans in a stomp.

Ancient India - Movie or factual Spartans in a stomp, assuming equal terrain. Elephants wouldn't be a problem for Spartan discipline.

Vikings - Movie Spartans lose. Factual Spartans own the Vikings badly, though. And someone mentioned 300,000 Vikings...not true. Hell, when they took England they did so with about 20,000 troops.

Saracens/Arabs - Mounted archers FTW. Movie or factual Spartans go down.

Medieval Turks - See above.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Warrior18
In before close.

-medieval Japanese army-Spartans lose again. Later weapons and armour count heavily against them.Samurai archers could simply pick them off.

Would you count muskets as a part of their arsenal or is the sengoku period different?

Enyalus
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Would you count muskets as a part of their arsenal or is the sengoku period different?

It's not the Medieval period. The Japanese were notoriously late in developing decent firearms. 'Cause of their isolation.

Utrigita
Originally posted by Enyalus
Vikings - Movie Spartans lose. Factual Spartans own the Vikings badly, though. And someone mentioned 300,000 Vikings...not true. Hell, when they took England they did so with about 20,000 troops.

Originally posted by UKR
The guys the Spartans fight have the exact same numbers the Persians would've.

Hence 300.000 vikings.

Enyalus
Ahem...yeah, I read that.

...Honestly. shifty

Utrigita
Sure you did...

Philosophía
Originally posted by Enyalus
Ahem...yeah, I read that.

...Honestly. shifty

It seem we have something in common.

Utrigita
The greatest disadvantage I see for the Spartans is their Bronze Equipment vs the Iron/Steel equipment that some of the units they are fighting will be wearing.

Phantom Zone
If the Viking have beserkers in their army 300 could be toast.

Utrigita
Well I think we ought to put into oure judgement what was normal at the given point of time, I honestly don't recall if the Berserkers was used in direct war...

Enyalus
Berserkers didn't even wear armor. And most used short axes. In that narrow pass, I'd still give the advantage to the Spartans.

Bentley
Originally posted by Utrigita
The greatest disadvantage I see for the Spartans is their Bronze Equipment vs the Iron/Steel equipment that some of the units they are fighting will be wearing.

That or republic Rome.

Warrior18
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix

Poster said no guns. sad

Warrior18
Originally posted by Utrigita
Hence 300.000 vikings.

Crap I forgot it was 300 000.
embarrasment

In that case I say the vikings hack both real and fictional spartans to pieces.

Warrior18
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
If the Viking have beserkers in their army 300 could be toast.

Not much is known about these men and at times we have to sift through some serious embellishment where these chaps were concerned. While a large 'berserking' man would put the fear of God into peasant levies, the same couldn't be said of highly trained elite warriors. I personally think the Spartans in any other battle would take the sight of these naked nutters in their stride.

300 000 of them? I'm not so sure about it then lol.

Mindset
Not much is known about these men and at times we have to sift through some serious embellishment where these chaps were concerned. While a large 'berserking' man would put the fear of God into peasant levies, the same couldn't be said of highly trained elite warriors. I personally think the Spartans in any other battle would take the sight of these naked nutters in their stride.

300 000 of them? I'm not so sure about it then lol. Berserkers had explosives.

Or maybe I just made that up.

Warrior18
Originally posted by Mindset
Berserkers had explosives.

Oh yeh of course. The explosives were gifts from Saruman. Doh!

UKR
Poster said no guns. sad

You're damned right I said that. Guns take all the fun out of it. The biggest thing I notice is that every time someone sets rules for the match, people ignore it like a bunch of ignorant retarded toddlers with giant deformed skulls. Please read the rules.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.