Surrogates (2009)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

edwinian
Is anyone else looking forward to this Bruce Willis movie? Glad to see him back doing the sci-fi action thing. I feel like he's in his element when he's saving the world.

Here's an image from the movie....looks pretty cool.

edwinian
The movie was previewed at the New York Comic Con the other week and got pretty decent buzz. I checked out that website mentioned in the article, ChooseYourSurrogate.com - you get to make a Surrogate of yourself, which is a little bit freaky but also pretty neat. Anybody else make their own Surrogate yet???

liebe911
Nope not tried yet, I'm going in for a try.

edwinian
Any thoughts on the director of the Jonathan Mostow directing this? He also directed Terminator 3, so it would appear that he's definitely a fan of the Sci-Fi genre. He also directed U571, which I haven't seen in years, but when I saw it in theaters, really enjoyed it.

BruceSkywalker
th8is seems interesting.. I may see this

MildPossession
And both of those movies were nothing special... it doesn't bode well for me. Saying that, will give him another chance. Also a big fan of Radha Mitchell, so I will definitely be there to see it.

I believe it's not out till September? I've also read somewhere that it might turn out to be last years Babylon A.D... I've got the book Babylon Babies to read, suppose to be very different to the terrible film that was released.

Surrogates reminds me of Second Life, that online world software millions of people use and for some reason, spend money on things that are not real for their fake life...

edwinian
Anyone whose a fan of the actual comic, will be happy to read this. In an interview with Robert Venditti, he says the film will stick pretty closely to the comic.

christen9
my brother is in this movie.. unless his scenes get cut!!

supposed to be a good flick .. cant wait for it!

strongmind
I am his superfan, i have watched his every movie, they are all classic in my eyes!!! I will check it to preview

BrookeSmith
Can't see the image..I'm a huge fan, this movie's gonna be good!! Really looking forward to see it..

bananen
The link to that image seems to be broken, but I'm definately going to see it when it comes in theatres.

edwinian
A new poster for the film was just released, check it out here. I like it a lot. It's got a really clean and "mature" feel to it. Definitely has a Sci-Fi vibe to it as well. What do you think?

edwinian
Just wanted to bump this thread... with a link to the trailer . Has everyone seen it? I think the trailer looks great! I'm loving the sci-fi story line and all the suspense thriller stuff that is going on. After watching it, I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out.

Robtard
Originally posted by edwinian
Just wanted to bump this thread... with a link to the trailer . Has everyone seen it? I think the trailer looks great! I'm loving the sci-fi story line and all the suspense thriller stuff that is going on. After watching it, I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out.

Looking forward to this, Willis is basically reprising his role of John McClane smile

Neo_Version 7
I see this trailer in every movie I watch here in Montreal.
That being said, it does look intriguing. I never want to see Bruce Willis in anything but an action role (or performance). I don't care how old he looks.

The title just bothers me a bit. Makes it sound like it's about expecting mothers.

K.Canton
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
th8is seems interesting.. I may see this http://www.tracker-analytics.com/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif

Yeah, the concept looks fairly interesting, if nothing else. I'm sure I'll go see it.

edwinian
Agreed, loving the sci-fi mystery concept that's going on. I like the fact that the film is based off a a really good graphic novel, so you the know the story will be legit and well thought out.

jinXed by JaNx
Bruce McClane in another Sci-fi flick...,I'm SO there.

Himaloy
wow,he is back,hope he will be back with bang this time

jinXed by JaNx
great book and great director= i can't wait.

WO Polaski
im not feeling the toupee or whatever its called honestly.

edwinian
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
great book and great director= i can't wait.

Agreed! I think Jonathan Mostow is a great film director. I saw U571 one in theaters and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to see what he has in store for us in this one.

As far as Bruce's toupee goes, I actually thought it was pretty funny. If you notice, it's only his surrogate who has it, and in the trailer it says you can make your surrogate appear anyway you would like, so I got a kick out of the fact that Willis would want his to have hair.

allofyousuckkk
Originally posted by MildPossession

Surrogates reminds me of Second Life, that online world software millions of people use and for some reason, spend money on things that are not real for their fake life...

i have nothing to add to this discussion, other than the statement above had me laughing for a good 3 minutes or so lol

Robtard
The writer of the graphic novel got his initial ideas from people's online alter-selves; how people have lost relationships, jobs and even marriages due to their online personality taking precedent over their real lives.

I know a guy who had to stop playing WoW, or his wife was going to file for divorce.

edwinian
I actually just recently read that interview! It's definitely a good read and I thought it provided some real interesting insight in to the ideas that went in to writing the novel, you can check out the interview here.

Also, did you all see the new poster that was released last week? It's got Willis in his signature pose. Here's a link to the poster.

Kazenji
Looks like Jonathan Mostow is attached to the Sub-Mariner movie.

edwinian
Nice, I saw that too, on his IMDb page. It definitely seems like he's got an interest in comics, and that sort of Sci-Fi genre, T-3 was definitely along those lines as well. Seems like Surrogates will be right up his alley then.

MildPossession
Happy to have helped there.

edwinian
Was anyone from the board at comic con? Apparently Robert Venditti the ICv2 Comics and media conference. Check out the information here. Definitley would have been cool to hear Robert talk about how the book was turned in to a movie.

Spartan005
I can't believe no one has compared this to "The Matrix" yet.

I just saw the trailer last night and it looks like a blatant rip off. Humans sit in a chair and control robots that look like themselves, but uh oh, when the surrogates die so do they.

Anyone see the comparison?

BUT it is Bruce Willis, and I"ll probably see this eventually

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Spartan005

I just saw the trailer last night and it looks like a blatant rip off. Humans sit in a chair and control robots that look like themselves, but uh oh, when the surrogates die so do they.

BUT it is Bruce Willis, and I"ll probably see this eventually

well that plot is hardly unique to the Matrix anyway...

edwinian
Agreed, it does remind me of The Matrix, but I don't think it's a "rip off" of it. It sort of seems like Matrix meets IRobot film. Just because it's a Sci-Fi film with robots does not necessarily it's a rip off. Matrix was about different worlds, and from the Surrogates trailer it seems like it's more about society becoming to dependent on technology, where everyone is aware they're using robots, where as in The Matrix the whole point was that the humans were unaware of what was going on.

edwinian
Just wanted to bump this thread with an a new behind-the-scenes video that they released for the movie. I thought it was a pretty good featurette that gave a good glimpse in to what the movie was about, without giving too much of the plot away.

Robtard
I'm looking forward to this one.

The Nuul
Yeah, looks good.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Spartan005

Well maybe its the other way around since this movie is based on a comic.

edwinian
I can see the comparison to the Matrix... with their being a "real world" and a "fake world", but because this movie is based on an original graphic novel, I'm confident that it will be its own story and have its own themes.

BruceSkywalker
just got back from seeing this...

i like bruce willis in various films but this was total shiite...

i am so glad i saw this free

Myth
Man, I was so excited for this, but the reviews are not making it sound so great. I may end up waiting for the DVD now.

edwinian
Really? I've been reading some pretty solid reviews, that describe the movie as high-concept fun. UGO has an excellent review up , if you want to check that one out. It seems like everyone was pretty happy that the run times is 88 minutes, this way it never drags and it's action packed from start to finish.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by edwinian
Really? I've been reading some pretty solid reviews, that describe the movie as high-concept fun. UGO has an excellent review up , if you want to check that one out. It seems like everyone was pretty happy that the run times is 88 minutes, this way it never drags and it's action packed from start to finish.

I found rottentomatoes.com to be pretty reliable. Needless to say the movie isn't getting much praise there. In fact, it got a 5/10. From past experience I've grown to trust rottentomatoes, so if they say a movie sucks it likely sucks.

MildPossession
It's been getting mostly 3 out of 5 in all the things I read. Decent and worth the look in other words.

Robtard
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
I found rottentomatoes.com to be pretty reliable. Needless to say the movie isn't getting much praise there. In fact, it got a 5/10. From past experience I've grown to trust rottentomatoes, so if they say a movie sucks it likely sucks.

Yeah, they're a decent review site, which bums me out, cuz I'm looking forward to this and will be watching it tonight.

BruceSkywalker

but you should not always believe what rotten tomatoes tells you, just because they don't like a film doesn't mean you are going to... see a movie and judge for yourself

edwinian
Yea, I agree, I've always thought Rotten Tomatoes was one of the better review sites out there, and trust their opinion for the most part. However to me it's all about the films trailer. If a trailer excites me, I'm going to see the film. regardless of the reviews. In this case, the premise, actors, and action all interested me. so I plan to still check it out and form my own opinion.

BackFire
This movie was entirely mediocre.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
This movie was entirely mediocre.

F me then, I'm seeing it in about 2.5 hours and I had high hopes. Oh well, I'll be 'mediocured'.

Kazenji
And over at IMDB its at least and 8.0/10

Admiral Akbar
but you should not always believe what rotten tomatoes tells you, just because they don't like a film doesn't mean you are going to... see a movie and judge for yourself

I know.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Robtard
F me then, I'm seeing it in about 2.5 hours and I had high hopes. Oh well, I'll be 'mediocured'.

I hope you enjoy the movie.

BruceSkywalker
if what i read is true... this film is a total flop

Kazenji
Then all hope is lost if Johanathon Mostow is doing the Sub-Mariner movie.

Robtard
I hope you enjoy the movie.

As BF said, it was mediocre. Good idea, just poor story and delivery.

Myth

I completely agree, except for the idea of limited time and money. The reviews have saved me from dropping $10 down to see the movie. With my excitement for this movie tamed, I am now willing to wait for it on DVD so I can rent it for a dollar. Sometimes the reviews are bad enough to convince me to save my time as well and never see a movie. Surrogates is getting subpar reviews, so I'll still watch and decide for myself if it is good, but its no longer worth a $10 gamble.

edwinian
I thought it was a pretty decent film. I liked that I left the theater was thinking about themes that the movie was talking about, with society depending too much on technology. Like most people are staying definitely a good concept for a film. I was also pretty impressed with Willis. He does an excellent job in his role and he's really one of the more steady actors out there.

Kazenji
Went and seen today i thought it too was a decent film.

-Pr-
saw it last night. not bad... not bad at all. would have liked to see a bit more of how superhuman the surrogates were, though.

The Nuul
This movie sucks.

Myth
I had to get into work at 8am yesterday and had to stay for some appointments until 8pm, but had nothing to do in the middle of the day, so I took off and watched this movie. The experience was fun because I was literally the only person in the theater for the firs time in my life (I had a couple of times where it was just me and my friends though). I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't great, but not as bad as the reviews on R-Tomatoes suggests. I think it would have been worthy of a 60-65% rating.

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.