CHRISTIAN BALE tantrum on terminator set.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
came across this recording of Christian Bale swearing and generally being upset at someone.

Who is the prick, Bale or the bloke he had a crack at?

AUDIO

Symmetric Chaos
zomg, Christain Bale is leik a person just leik us! OMG!

The Pict
Wow. Christian Bale is a dickhead. It's not his place to berate film staff, especially shouting profanities or threats at them.

Jack Daniels
nah they live to make his job harder..lol..tis the way of hollywood..haha

The Pict
The guy was checking the lights, just doing his job. I hope Bale didn't get the guy fired, there was no call for him to fly off the handle like that.

Jack Daniels
how could you find out I wonder...? if dude got fired?

Shakyamunison
Who is Christian Bale? laughing

Jack Daniels
its ush in disguise

Bardock42
Haha, he got some anger issues, it seems.

Luckily I don't watch his movies for his personality no expression

T.M
Originally posted by The Pict
The guy was checking the lights, just doing his job. I hope Bale didn't get the guy fired, there was no call for him to fly off the handle like that.

During a take.. Walking through a shot, and from what Bale says it isn't the first time he did it. Sorry but I think a DoP should know better than that. No question Bale went over the top but I can see why he is so pissed off.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
Luckily I don't watch his movies for his personality no expression

its that sexy ass, no?

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
its that sexy ass, no? Oh god, yes.

The Pict
Originally posted by T.M
During a take.. Walking through a shot, and from what Bale says it isn't the first time he did it. Sorry but I think a DoP should know better than that. No question Bale went over the top but I can see why he is so pissed off.

He's threatening to beat the guy up erm

About 3 quarters through it sounds like he's having to be restrained from hitting the guy. I hope Bale was reprimanded in some way.

Wild Shadow
he's a punk, i would have kicked his as for not having any professionalism. cant believe bale had the gall to use the word professionalism after all that thrash talking.

liebe911
Who is he by the way ?

Mairuzu
He's the man

Symmetric Chaos
Well a man.

Phantom Zone
We dont know what happened so you cant judge. For all we know if we were in the same situation we would be pissed as well.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh god, yes.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2007/12/01-07/christian_bale_shirtless-chest-batman-terminator-beefcake.jpg

Mairuzu
the man

Symmetric Chaos
jawdrop

Vinny Valentine
He's a regular guy, everyone gets angry.

Get use to life.

Rogue Jedi
****ing actors. If it was my call, I'd have fired his sorry ass.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
he's a punk, i would have kicked his as for not having any professionalism. cant believe bale had the gall to use the word professionalism after all that thrash talking.

Yeah he sure is a punk.He reminds me a lot of Alec Baldwin. A great actor but an ass in real life.

jaden101
What a ****...the bad thing is that the guy behind the camera will always get the boot even if it's the actor that's being the *******, which in this case it undoubtadly is. The best thing is he's a ****ing shit actor who's best role was when he was about 10 years old in "empire of the sun"...

he played a half decent Pat Bateman and he was good in the machinist and that's it.

Lets not forget the "knocking his sister and mother about" thing too.

Sadako of Girth
Yep.
He seems more and more like a total dick everytime I hear something new about him.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by jaden101
What a ****...the bad thing is that the guy behind the camera will always get the boot even if it's the actor that's being the *******, which in this case it undoubtadly is. The best thing is he's a ****ing shit actor who's best role was when he was about 10 years old in "empire of the sun"...

he played a half decent Pat Bateman and he was good in the machinist and that's it.

Lets not forget the "knocking his sister and mother about" thing too. you seem to care a little too much friend

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Mairuzu
you seem to care a little too much friend

Agreed.

Sadako of Girth
"Oh its a dirty job but someones gotta do iiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiit..." stick out tongue

jaden101
you seem to care a little too much friend

BuQSrb1XdUI

Mairuzu
no sound...

but i read the title sad

jaden101
There is sound...It's just really low.

Bardock42
Personally I think he's a great actor. It seems like he overreacted there, but who knows what has been going on before...

I don't really know why it is such a big deal...and it should probably be in the Movie Star Forum.

Mairuzu
There is sound...It's just really low. Sorry, i meant i have no sound at work

jaden101
Sorry, i meant i have no sound at work

Well then you should be WORKING...and not making smart ass comments about me. NOW GET BACK TO WORK OR I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS... stick out tongue

Grand-Moff-Gav
Perhaps he was having a hard day and such...

Wonder why noone stepped in though...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Perhaps he was having a hard day and such...

Wonder why noone stepped in though... Probably cause movies with Christian Bale make 800 000 worldwide, while those without him make 200 000.

Mairuzu
Well then you should be WORKING...and not making smart ass comments about me. NOW GET BACK TO WORK OR I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS... stick out tongue You ***** uhuh

BruceSkywalker
Can't say I blame Bale for doing what he did...

that guy should not have ruined the scene..

THE JLRTENJAC
In all honesty, I really don't know why we care whether bale was in the right or not. I simply find it hilarious that he flew soooooo far off the handle. I was literally dieing laughing at it.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
He's a regular guy, everyone gets angry.

Get use to life.

if he were a regular guy bale would have been fired, or taken anger management class for his temper, or even sued after filing with human resource office.

Final Blaxican
Vinny's wrong anyway.

"Regular people" aren't total insane dipshits. At least, not usually.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Vinny's wrong anyway.

"Regular people" aren't total insane dipshits. At least, not usually.

Listen to this man. One day he will lead the free world.

I understand getting angry, I could understand his reaction if the shot he got in was like some million dollar scene with a bunch of exspensive explosions and stuff that would take over a day to redo, but from what I hear it wasn't. A few ****s and a shit would've been ok, but over 3 minutes of cursing and threatening is over the line no matter who you are.

Publius II

Why so serious?

Itzak
That's was rather ridiculous of Bale. Sucks too 'cause he is one of my favorite actors. erm

Originally posted by liebe911
Who is he by the way ?

He's Batman. ermm

Kinneary
I don't think anyone knows what the context is, so you can't really make an informed decision. Especially since it sounds like a repeated thing. I'm willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Final Blaxican
"The context"?

The context is that Christian Bale is a spoiled brat who needs to calm his ass down. He's an actor, he gets paid to do emotional scenes, and the moviees in post-production, which means, guess what, he just did the scene again. Do I have the right to go off on someone if I'm having an extremely emotional, hard working day? No. I would lose my job if I acted like that to a fellow employee who was only doing his job, especially considering it was a one-time mistake, not multiple instances. Cursing him out, insulting him, and threatening to quit the entire movie in mid-production unless a man get fired... is completely assinine.

Symmetric Chaos
Vinny's wrong anyway.

I'm pretty sure real people do get angry.

Final Blaxican
That's not anger. That's insanity.

bogen
I think he makes some valid points.
Although he did it in a way that was totally out of order.
Bloody englishman laughing

Final Blaxican
I agree. I would be irritated if that had happened to me, sure.

But he went off the deep-end. Trying to get the man fired is retarded, disrespecting him so badly is also retarded. If I was the lighting guy I'd be out of the job, and probably in jail, because I would have beat his little ass, his six-pack be damned.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
if he were a regular guy bale would have been fired, or taken anger management class for his temper, or even sued after filing with human resource office.

Why on earth would he be sued? A one time event does not constitute a hostile work environment and the victim did not quit (there's a term for being forced into quitting that I've forgotten) so no laws have been broken. Heck, if someone was sued every time a temper snapped then... then our legal system would look the way it does now.

Why so serious, son?

Fixed.

Threatening to quit if it happened again.

Still, he did go off the handle for a relatively minor thing.

Time of the month...

Kinneary
"The context"?

The context is that Christian Bale is a spoiled brat who needs to calm his ass down. He's an actor, he gets paid to do emotional scenes, and the moviees in post-production, which means, guess what, he just did the scene again. Do I have the right to go off on someone if I'm having an extremely emotional, hard working day? No. I would lose my job if I acted like that to a fellow employee who was only doing his job, especially considering it was a one-time mistake, not multiple instances. Cursing him out, insulting him, and threatening to quit the entire movie in mid-production unless a man get fired... is completely assinine.
The context is that it was a scene he worked very hard to perfect, and it was ruined multiple times for trivial reasons by something that was relatively unimportant at the moment, and he snapped. Everyone snaps. I consider myself a normal person, and I've almost come to blows with someone I worked with. And I've definitely gotten into arguments with them. The fact is, the guy he was yelling at really wasn't just his coworker - he was almost his subordinate, in that he didn't matter nearly as much as Bale. And when someone who's relatively unimportant causes that much distraction, something is bound to happen. Hell, the director even said it was an isolated incident. I don't think just because he flew off the handle he should be condemned as a bastard.

I'm not his PR rep, I'm just saying to think of him as a complete dbag just because of that is ridiculous.

Final Blaxican
It wasn't "multiple times".

It was once.

He should be condemned, for being an *******. I'm an actor, I do plays and I don't get paid at all, and when it comes time to perform I don't have the luxury of being able to reshoot the scene, take a bathroom break halfway through, etc. The background crew's ****ed up before when I was in the middle of a scene in front of hundreds of people who paid to see me perform, do I get to go off on the crew? No. I'd be kicked off the cast if I did that.

So what if he's in a superior position? If a man turns in a paper late to his boss the boss has the right to go off for 3 minutes calling him an ass and telling him to shut the **** up and dehumanizing him? No. There is practically no one else in a job environment who can do that and not lose their jobs except for actors who are unfairly treated as gods and maybe politicians/leaders.

Fact is, Bale went off on a man who was doing his job, and made one mistake. Most people don't go off like that. Most actors don't go off like that. Either Bale's an *******, or he has anger management issues. Your choice.

jinXed by JaNx
When an actor is calling someone on the film crew an amateur. They are being fuktards. Someone else here already posted that it is not the actors job to confront and berate the film crew. That is why you have producers, Directors and set managers. I could understand if Bale was correcting someone's mistake but he called that man out and questioned his professionalism. Also, you don't yell at your Director and the only reason he can get away with doing that shit is because his name is bigger than the movie he is working on. I doubt he would pull that shit on a Nolan film.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Also, you don't yell at your Director and the only reason he can get away with doing that shit is because his name is bigger than the movie he is working on. I doubt he would pull that shit on a Nolan film.

Thank you. I agree completely.

Martian_mind
lol.

Bale FTW.

Deano
FROM Ain't It Cool News....

Why AICN Doesn't Post Links To Stories Like This Christian Bale thing that's everywhere!

Hey folks, Harry here... I'm getting slammed with assloads of people angry at me for not posting the Bale explosion from the set of McG's TERMINATOR: SALVATION. Well, first off - there's a real simple reason. It isn't news. And it certainly isn't cool news. It is a moment in a man's life taken completely out of context and most likely leaked to personally embarrass Christian Bale.

Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking... There's no excuse for a temper tantrum like that to ever occur and if you are going to act that way, you deserve to be embarrassed by your own actions.

Except, you want to hear the REALITY behind that clip?

I know this because I happen to be somewhere where someone that was there that day and for the shoot is. And this person isn't a publicist, nor are they invested in Bale's career. They're just someone that thinks it is absolute bullshit that this moment in Bale's life is being aired and that the real story should get out there.

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that shit down before the scene starts.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.

You don't need me to give you a link, it's all over the internet, I just felt that you should know what really went down - and that this particular outburst did indeed modify the DP's behavior - and for future DPs. **** with the lights before and after your actors are acting. Not during.

Robtard
Just listened to it and Deano's post aside, Bale states this wasn't the DP's first time doing the very same "**** up", so Bale's in the right.

Bale also clearly states it isn't anything personal as he thinks they DP is a "nice guy", just the guy is repeatedly being unprofessional.

So yeah, Bale ftw, as some other poster said and shame on you "Bale should be fired" or "Bale has an ego" ranters. Dude is trying to do his job, which is act.

edit: Has Bale ever done this before on a set? Don't think so and if not, should be an indicator that he isn't a raging loon. Guys like Mickey Rourke are, as they have a history of having problems with co-stars, directors and film staff repeatedly.

jinXed by JaNx

But he went off the deep-end. Trying to get the man fired is retarded, disrespecting him so badly is also retarded. If I was the lighting guy I'd be out of the job, and probably in jail, because I would have beat his little ass, his six-pack be damned.

Wasn't he yelling at the DP?

Robtard

Bale didn't try and get the guy fired in the sense he told the director 'shit-can this guy now', he said at the end 'if you do it again, I'm not walking on the scene if you're still here.'

Basically saying, if you do this same mistake one more time, I'm not working while you're here/on the scene. That is perfectly understandable considering that would have been at the minimum three times the DP would have done that same error he was asked not to do.

Let me ask you, how many times would you allow someone to do something that disrupts your job after having already told them 'don't do that'?

BackFire
Who cares? Everyone has a shitty day, long as his movies stay good don't care.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by Robtard
Bale didn't try and get the guy fired in the sense he told the director 'shit-can this guy now', he said at the end 'if you do it again, I'm not walking on the scene if you're here."

Basically saying, if you do this same mistake one more time, I'm not working while you're here/on the scene. That is perfectly understandable considering that would have been at the minimum three times the DP would have done that same error he was asked not to do.

Let me ask you, how many times would you allow someone to do something that disrupts your job after having already told them 'don't do that'?

How many times? Not a whole lot. I almost walked out of a play altogether because the director was constantly belittling me.

But I would do it in a much more calm fashion. When I almost walked out that time I calmly told him with a straight face that if he talked any more shit I'd walk out then and there. Despite the fact that I was pissed off and wanted to strangle him, there was no yelling involved, no cursing, no threats of firing other people or whooping ass, etc. Now, I used to have anger management problems before, took classes for them. So, am I speaking common sense, or do I just possess some calm that's rare in the rest of the world?

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Who cares? Everyone has a shitty day, long as his movies stay good don't care.

Shit day or no, actors shouldn't rip on some crew member just because they know they can vent and not suffer represcussions becasue they're the star.

Listening to the clip though, Bale wasn't just venting because he woke up and realized he has a small penis or something, the guy simply kept ****ing up and directly ****ing with Bale's performance.

Robtard
How many times? Not a whole lot. I almost walked out of a play altogether because the director was constantly belittling me.

But I would do it in a much more calm fashion. When I almost walked out that time I calmly told him with a straight face that if he talked any more shit I'd walk out then and there. Despite the fact that I was pissed off and wanted to strangle him, there was no yelling involved, no cursing, no threats of firing other people or whooping ass, etc. Now, I used to have anger management problems before, took classes for them. So, am I speaking common sense, or do I just possess some calm that's rare in the rest of the world?

Don't know exactly, seems like twice, but it clearly wasn't the first time the DP did it and Bale just freaked out.

If it was the first time the guy ****ed up and Bale went ape-shit, then I'd agree that Bale has some anger issues; it's clear the guy did the exact thing Bale had told him not to do previously. I also don't recall hearing Bale for being a known ******* on the set, unlike some other actors.

Even at the end, Bale was willing to give the guy one more chance, would a raging ******* do that?

GCG
38 effings in a space of 3.49.

Clearly Bale was in character; he wanted to terminate that poor bloke laughing out loud

Silent Guardian
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
We dont know what happened so you cant judge. For all we know if we were in the same situation we would be pissed as well.

agreed. Wait till they start interviewing people. We will probably have to wait for the movie to come out. Wish they had video of it.

Still the impression I get is Bale overreacted and came off as a prick. But I bet we will hear the full story when the movie comes out. So I cannot really judge him fairly yet. Who knows maybe it was the guys fault entirely

KidRock
Christian Bale's early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

Robtard
I think you meant "Huey Lewis" in the beginning with your American Psycho quote.

KidRock
Originally posted by Robtard
I think you meant "Huey Lewis" in the beginning with your American Psycho quote.

Your just too smart for all of us Robtard.

Lord Shadow Z
Incredibly funny but why all the swearing and threats? That just sounded a little bit forced, all the swearing and shouting. Plus he called him a nice guy-before going on to have a go at him some more.

Publicity stunt anyone? Because the prospect of yet another Terminator movie isn't exactly setting the world alight.

KidRock
I think it was real. Guy sounded so angry his Welsh accent came out.

Darth Macabre
Don't really care, either way. As long as the movie is good, I'm good.

Phantom Zone
It wasn't "multiple times".

It was once.

Yeah your right the audio indicates that it had happened multiple times.

How many times? Not a whole lot.

Oh I see so now you moved from once, to not a whole lot. We dont know exactly what happened but from what Bale indicated it happened numerous times and nobody denied it. From what I remember Bale was saying some shit like "Why is so and so doing this, why is so abd so doing that?" indicating that he complained about it multiple times.

Hell Bale even said "You're a nice guy" indicating he didnt want to lose his temper but he just had enough

Bardock42
Again, he got angry and stepped slightly over the line. Why is this such a big deal? He may have some anger issues, then again, he is the star of the movie while some light guy is...well, some light guy.

And again, who cares...since when is the GDF an outlet of The Sun stories?

Kosta
Heard this yesterday, laughed my ass off. Bale was a bit of a dick, but we all have our moments. Still a great actor.

Syren
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
In all honesty, I really don't know why we care whether bale was in the right or not. I simply find it hilarious that he flew soooooo far off the handle. I was literally dieing laughing at it.

Same yes

Even if Bale had been completely in the right before he lost it, he made himself sound and probably look like a total prick by allowing himself to get so angry about what seems like such a small issue.

I would have spat in his face if he'd spoken to me like that, **** who he thinks he is. There's absolutely no need to be so over the top when making a point, even if you are justified. Even more so if you're in the right because that simple fact should speak volumes, which means you don't have to smile

Syren
I just listened to it again and I agree wholeheartedly with me. He sounds like an arrogant, pretentious dick. It's a shame he didn't show some restraint because he was right, he just went about it all the wrong way.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Syren
I just listened to it again and I agree wholeheartedly with me. He sounds like an arrogant, pretentious dick. It's a shame he didn't show some restraint because he was right, he just went about it all the wrong way.

Nobodies pefect the guy had done it multiple times before, and he was willing to forget about it. Also he doesnt have a reputation for doing stuff like that...give the guy a break.

Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC

I also agree to an extent.

Bicnarok

Syren
Nobodies pefect the guy had done it multiple times before, and he was willing to forget about it. Also he doesnt have a reputation for doing stuff like that...give the guy a break.

I did give him a break, I said he was within his rights to be irritated. Just not to be quite so extreme about it smile

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Syren
I did give him a break, I said he was within his rights to be irritated. Just not to be quite so extreme about it smile

Well you did say he sounded like an arrogant prentitous prick, thats kinda like negating the giving-the-breakness.

Syren
Well you did say he sounded like an arrogant prentitous prick, thats kinda like negating the giving-the-breakness.

laughing out loud

He did sound like an arrogant, pretentious dick, there's no denying that. He quite probably was justified in becoming agitated but as I said before there was no need for him to be so over the top about it. All I'm sayin' shrug

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by KidRock
I think it was real. Guy sounded so angry his Welsh accent came out.

Hah! Ive heard the full rant now on youtube.

(There has to be something wrong with my quicktime or it needs updating.)

That was actually a thick London accent, not Welsh.

I think Bale was trying to keep in character despite his rage.
I also think his job of communication through ranting might have been doen around 2:40ish, the rest of it was overkill, IMHO

The DP had listened, taken a proper dressing down by Bale on set,
The director had aquiesed to Bale's demands.... Just seemed like overkill when he flipped out and appeared to go for the guy.

But anyways, I agree that Bale couldnt be distracted during a scene and was. But repeatedly threatening to kick the guy's ass was a bit unneccesary and lowered Bale to a fairly unprofessional level himself.

Having said that the DP should around that point just shut up and take it on board and not wind up Bale any further by trying to explain anything further/talk back.

In Bale's favour..... He acknowledged that it wasn't personal, telling the guy that he actually liked the guy, but just couldnt put up with the intrusions.

And he did give the guy the chance to atone by stating that "If it happened again he'd walk if the guy was still hired."

But like I said, overkill over the last minute.

jinXed by JaNx
the whole, I'm not coming into work tomorrow if you're still hired and the personal attacks were also unwarranted.

Kayakat
I don't understand why this is such a big deal really, Christian Bale is certainly not the first actor who throws a tantrum on set.
Yes the tantrum was a bit much but for all we know he might have been having bad day and reacted it out on the first person that pushed it that little bit too far. It happens, he is not the first actor to overreact because of something stupid, the only difference is they have an audio tape of it.

jinXed by JaNx
I agree, it's not a big deal especially when we don't know exactly what lead up to the outburst or what may have transpired afterwards. Perhaps, Bale later apologized. As a topic of discussion though, it is rare that we get to hear the actual outburst. Usually, we only get to hear about these stories from third hand accounts. It's also very easy for people on the outside of the entertainment industry to criticize these types of events. Especially when it's a big name like Bale who is caught belittling someone on the film crew.

To be fair. If the DP was indeed in frame during a shot there is little to excuse that but unless he ruined an expensive effects shot he did not deserve to be called out and threatened like that. Those types of moments are common occurrences on a movie set and instead of laughing it off or giving a professional acknowledgment, Bale completely belittled that man. Whether or not these types of outbursts happen often on movie sets doesn't excuse them from happening. Actors take numerous takes for one shot. They are being paid insane amounts of money for, at most, several weeks of work. It is very hard to understand and defend an actor when you hear about things like this unfolding on a set. If Bale wants to be an ass hole away from his job thats cool but it's not his place to confront the film crew like that. I will say though, It sounds like McG pussied out and let Bale continue on with his ranting laughing out loud

Deano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

how fun

SelinaAndBruce
I personally think he sounds like a dick and I know he's not the only person to get upset at work but his rant is ridiculously hilarious. Threatening to kick the guys ass then complimenting him then hoping he's fired. He sounds out of control.

Toku King
I lost all of my respect for the man.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
zomg, Christain Bale is leik a person just leik us! OMG!

thread should have ended here

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Yep.
He seems more and more like a total dick everytime I hear something new about him.

yeah exactly.

Ultimate Wil
I use to think he was cool, now he is a ****ing dickhead

inimalist
as if nobody here has ever overreacted to something or gotten more upset than they needed to

chithappens
Writing paragraphs about this shit... Waste time on the dumbest things.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by chithappens
Writing paragraphs about this shit... Waste time on the dumbest things.

Welcome to KMC. My name is Joe, how are you?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

chithappens
I'm Aaron. I want a cookie.

Vinny Valentine
Cool remix, hilarious.

Mairuzu
Writing paragraphs about this shit... Waste time on the dumbest things. How dare you call Christian Bale's tantrum dumb

who the **** do you think you are?

reported... twice

Final Blaxican
You misinterpreted what I said.

Robtard asked me, how many times I would put up with it.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by inimalist
as if nobody here has ever overreacted to something or gotten more upset than they needed to

Hehe I must admit Ive had my moments before.

..But then Im not paid milllions of dollars and no one really gives a f**k about what I do/say. stick out tongue

This reminds me of the Buddy Rich tapes.

inimalist
Hehe I must admit Ive had my moments before.

..But then Im not paid milllions of dollars and no one really gives a f**k about what I do/say. stick out tongue

This reminds me of the Buddy Rich tapes.

Orson Wells doing the peas commercial is amazing as well

but really. celebrities shouldn't be held to higher standards than us

Sadako of Girth
Agreed. I personally don't.

Just when I explode, Its not around cameras/tapes...usually.

Heheheheh I hadn't seen that yet...

Still very calm compared to Bale though..... lolz
Now if Bale had dealt with it as calmly as that, there probably wouldnt be this thread.

Bicnarok

Wild Shadow
i am definitely not watching the movie now... i dont support D!@K's or put money in their pockets. sadly it is just me but i figure the movie will probably suck anyways since the 3rd one wasnt that great.

beer

inimalist
Agreed. I personally don't.

not saying you did, just sayin in general is all

Just when I explode, Its not around cameras/tapes...usually.

usually the best course of action

Heheheheh I hadn't seen that yet...

Still very calm compared to Bale though..... lolz
Now if Bale had dealt with it as calmly as that, there probably wouldnt be this thread.

no, I hear that, I should probably get around to listening to the rant...

oh man, now that just reminded me of the Dog the Bounty Hunter racist tape. hahahahahaha

jinXed by JaNx
I'm Aaron. I want a cookie.

Hi Aaron, I'll trade you a cookie for the keys to the basement?

Vinny Valentine
I read that this scene was the night after he had been arrested over allegations of assault to his Mother and Sister and was incredibly stressed.

jinXed by JaNx
fuk man, i dont care. Bale is still aces in my book. I admire anyone who continues to be candid and honest after making it to the "big time". Because dude had a bad day and diicked someone over i'm not going to stop supporting him. Everyone has their "dude, did i really say that?" days. Mel Gibson had one and everyone cut the cord. As long as you're not raping babies i can probably enjoy your art and have a memorable conversation with you(if i tried). I'm just glad that we actually have the tape to listen This clip will live for a long time.

BruceSkywalker
fuk man, i dont care. Bale is still aces in my book. I admire anyone who continues to be candid and honest after making it to the "big time". Because dude had a bad day and diicked someone over i'm not going to stop supporting him. Everyone has their "dude, did i really say that?" days. Mel Gibson had one and everyone cut the cord. As long as you're not raping babies i can probably enjoy your art and have a memorable conversation with you(if i tried). I'm just glad that we actually have the tape to listen This clip will live for a long time.

I couldn't agree more

Syren
Originally posted by Deano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

how fun

laughing

That's great yes

Phantom Zone

Agreed.

BuTT_chEEks
I listened to it last night, it was really funny

chithappens
Hi Aaron, I'll trade you a cookie for the keys to the basement?

Ok, but if anyone ask, you didn't see the dead baby in the corner next to the Guitar Hero drum set.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sounds fake. It's probably just a wind-up.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BuTT_chEEks
I listened to it last night, it was really funny

yes it is

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sounds fake. It's probably just a wind-up. awebrow

SnakeEyes
Bale apologized: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/06/christian-bale-apologizes-for-tirade/#more-19462

Sadako of Girth
Sounds fair enough.

siriuswriter
well as much debate as there is about this tape, here's my opinion.

films are much different to create than plays

it's actually a bit easier to get into character when you're doing something on the stage, because you don't have take after take and there's no one to come on between takes to adjust your makeup or whatever.

But getting emotional . PLUS he has the challenge of doing the accent. PLUS they're probably not shooting in sequence. PLUS there are all these props to worry about, and a set that probably looks ridiculous if you're actually there.

So you've done numerous takes of this scene, and this guy keeps walking across the set to do something he should be doing in between takes.

... sooner or later, something's gotta give. and probably since bale, who undoubtedly works very hard and takes acting very seriously, who's in this emotional place that was very hard to get to as an actor....

yeah. it's blow-up time. i'm kind of surprised that the director didn't say anything. that would make me really frustrated. like... the actor's trying to do is job and one of the crew members is being all *a little confused*. i would think it's the director's job to call him out, but i guess that wasn't happening.

i think bale was mad that 1) it was happening in the first place and 2) that he was the guy that had to bring it up.

because let's think here. if the director had this kind of meltdown, would we have six pages of discussion on it?

ermmmm. yeaaah.

dadudemon
siriuswriter, you are probably closest to reality.

I am not sure if anyone who has posted realizes the type of personality it takes to be an actor of that caliber. People hear about this "being in character" all the time. They literally have to live up the character. Be in the moment. It is a state of being that can be hard to turn off and on. It's not like a switch. To truly explore the depths of the character that you are acting out, you have to think, act, feel, and want just as the character would to really bring the character to life. It may sound easy just reading my words, however, that's why very few people can actually make it to the upper echelon of acting.

When you're in that moment; in that character; feeling and thinking to the point that it is natural for the camera, you can very well stay in that moment and not experience very much of a "moment" dynamic. It can feel claustrophobic when you think about it. It can feel like nothing will change and your stuck being in that "person". It is not uncommon to end a day or two of filming an emotional scene with some tears of just distraught or emotional chaos.

Once he was out of the moment, back to what he should be, he could think much more clearly and he knows what he did was too far. Either that, or his PR person gave him verbal beat down and setup his apology. Also, reading that apology, it looks like I guessed it right. He was still "stuck" in character, caught up in the emotions.

I am quite sure someone like inimalist could better explain what I'm trying to convey. I still have a hard time with psychology.

BTW, Heath Ledger appears to have pushed himself to the absolute limits and beyond to "get into character" for the Joker. He actually pushed beyond his limits and never recovered.

Don't judge people so harshly. This man doesn't have the same type of mental state or personality that we are accostumed to as normal.

I can't remember which actor said it, but he said something like, "It takes someone truly insane to want to be an actor."

I think Mr. Bale learned something from this. I didn't lose or gain any respect for him as an actor. He is still one of my favorite actors. I don't agree with his actions. However, I blew up today, myself, while talking to my boss about a coworker who had just blown up on me, so how can I judge him in anyway?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by siriuswriter
well as much debate as there is about this tape, here's my opinion.

films are much different to create than plays

it's actually a bit easier to get into character when you're doing something on the stage, because you don't have take after take and there's no one to come on between takes to adjust your makeup or whatever.

But getting emotional . PLUS he has the challenge of doing the accent. PLUS they're probably not shooting in sequence. PLUS there are all these props to worry about, and a set that probably looks ridiculous if you're actually there.

So you've done numerous takes of this scene, and this guy keeps walking across the set to do something he should be doing in between takes.

... sooner or later, something's gotta give. and probably since bale, who undoubtedly works very hard and takes acting very seriously, who's in this emotional place that was very hard to get to as an actor....

yeah. it's blow-up time. i'm kind of surprised that the director didn't say anything. that would make me really frustrated. like... the actor's trying to do is job and one of the crew members is being all *a little confused*. i would think it's the director's job to call him out, but i guess that wasn't happening.

i think bale was mad that 1) it was happening in the first place and 2) that he was the guy that had to bring it up.

because let's think here. if the director had this kind of meltdown, would we have six pages of discussion on it?

ermmmm. yeaaah.

thumb up

Originally posted by dadudemon
siriuswriter, you are probably closest to reality.

I am not sure if anyone who has posted realizes the type of personality it takes to be an actor of that caliber. People hear about this "being in character" all the time. They literally have to live up the character. Be in the moment. It is a state of being that can be hard to turn off and on. It's not like a switch. To truly explore the depths of the character that you are acting out, you have to think, act, feel, and want just as the character would to really bring the character to life. It may sound easy just reading my words, however, that's why very few people can actually make it to the upper echelon of acting.

When you're in that moment; in that character; feeling and thinking to the point that it is natural for the camera, you can very well stay in that moment and not experience very much of a "moment" dynamic. It can feel claustrophobic when you think about it. It can feel like nothing will change and your stuck being in that "person". It is not uncommon to end a day or two of filming an emotional scene with some tears of just distraught or emotional chaos.

Once he was out of the moment, back to what he should be, he could think much more clearly and he knows what he did was too far. Either that, or his PR person gave him verbal beat down and setup his apology. Also, reading that apology, it looks like I guessed it right. He was still "stuck" in character, caught up in the emotions.

I am quite sure someone like inimalist could better explain what I'm trying to convey. I still have a hard time with psychology.

BTW, Heath Ledger appears to have pushed himself to the absolute limits and beyond to "get into character" for the Joker. He actually pushed beyond his limits and never recovered.

Don't judge people so harshly. This man doesn't have the same type of mental state or personality that we are accostumed to as normal.

I can't remember which actor said it, but he said something like, "It takes someone truly insane to want to be an actor."

I think Mr. Bale learned something from this. I didn't lose or gain any respect for him as an actor. He is still one of my favorite actors. I don't agree with his actions. However, I blew up today, myself, while talking to my boss about a coworker who had just blown up on me, so how can I judge him in anyway?

I agree

jaden101
If he's such a great actor he wouldn't be getting distracted by someone walking about, out of shot but in his line of sight. That's all the guy did. He had the audacity to walk in Bale's line of sight while he was shooting a scene for an action movie that will have as much depth as a puddle of rain water.

Sadako of Girth
And just for the record, on the director being less valid fodder than an a actor for rant threads, no way.

Rants are rants, be they from Dog the (Bounty Hunter), Orson Welles (Actor/Director), Christian Bale (actor and psycho) or Buddy Rich (psycho/greatest drummer ever).
They can be entertaining/shocking/informative.

Besides, initially, this thread garnered such attention as the emphysis was on the question of "Was Bale right to try to have the guy fired." aspect, later rendered moot by the realisation that he only threatened the guy with it if he offended again.

Selphie
Bale is definitely an actor that gets very deep into his roles, so I'm not really surprised he had a go at this guy. Of course, that doesn't make it alright though.

Bicnarok

Bardock42

Bicnarok

Bardock42

Sadako of Girth
His american Psycho performance is the 1st one I always think off when trying to decide whether he can act.

For ages I thought it was an amazing performance.

But now though I think it was just drawing on who Bale actually is...
(Which isnt real hard acting, per say., aside from some decent accent work.)

Just like Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder".

Selphie

Vinny Valentine
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-brief7-2009feb07,0,1623588.story

dadudemon

Robtard

Phantom Zone
If he's such a great actor he wouldn't be getting distracted by someone walking about, out of shot but in his line of sight.

I take it you have lots of acting experience.

That's all the guy did. He had the audacity to walk in Bale's line of sight while he was shooting a scene for an action movie that will have as much depth as a puddle of rain water.

The audio indicated that it happened numerous times before.

jaden101
The implication being that because i'm not an actor i don't know what good acting is?...

What?...He walked about numerous times before...how very dare he have the audacity to walk in the same room as Christian Bale.

There's no mention of that in the audio at all and none that implicated it was a problem...the only thing the guy said was he was "looking at the lights"

I doubt it very much.

dadudemon
The implication being that because i'm not an actor i don't know what good acting is?...

No. He's implying that you don't know what it's like on the set, I think.

What?...He walked about numerous times before...how very dare he have the audacity to walk in the same room as Christian Bale.

This is an '82 Honda! HOW DARE YOU!

laughing laughing laughing

There's no mention of that in the audio at all and none that implicated it was a problem...the only thing the guy said was he was "looking at the lights"

There is mention of it. True. However, we can assume that he wasn't there to just "look" at the lights.

I doubt it very much.

I don't. T2 was pretty dramatic (in a good way) at parts.

jaden101
Dramatic i don't doubt...deep...as in emotionally...i do doubt.

Bicnarok
I take it you have lots of acting experience.

Does that matter, its not exactly hard is it pretending to be some character. I could do it.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Does that matter, its not exactly hard is it pretending to be some character. I could do it.

For an extended time? Taking on the emotional characteristics of the character? While following a script? Well enough to get paid?

There's a very large gap between "pretending" and "acting".

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok

No you couldn't. no expression

If you could, I'd be visiting you in your personal observatory that you most assuredly buy with the millions you made from acting. no expression (Don't worry, in this scenario, I would bering the telescope lube for those times we observe Uranus. no expression )

jaden101
For an extended time? Taking on the emotional characteristics of the character? While following a script? Well enough to get paid?

There's a very large gap between "pretending" and "acting".

There's really not. If being big in Hollywood had anything to do with talent then the people responsible for the "movie" franchise wouldn't get a look in...People such as Paris Hilton would never get movie rolls...and countless other lesser known actors would be hugely famous.

The fact is that Bale isn't grade A in terms of acting ability. He'll never win a best actor oscar because he doesn't get the roles that win the accolades...because he isn't good enough for them. I applaud the changes he puts himself through...particularly the changes he made physically between the machinist and batman begins...that takes dedication...but it doesn't take acting talent. He'll be an action actor for the rest of his career.

inimalist
meh, y'all can say what you will, Bale is awesome, American Psycho is fantastic.

Symmetric Chaos
There's really not. If being big in Hollywood had anything to do with talent then the people responsible for the "movie" franchise wouldn't get a look in...People such as Paris Hilton would never get movie rolls...and countless other lesser known actors would be hugely famous.

The fact that Hollywood isn't based on acting talent doesn't mean that "acting" and "pretending" aren't different things. A small child can pretend, there is a reason that people take classes on how to act it's really much more difficult to do effectively than non-actors think.

Bicnarok

jaden101
The fact that Hollywood isn't based on acting talent doesn't mean that "acting" and "pretending" aren't different things. A small child can pretend, there is a reason that people take classes on how to act it's really much more difficult to do effectively than non-actors think.

The reason that people take acting classes is the same as wanting to get into any profession....qualifications count...In the case of acting though, it's certain schools that count. It doesn't mean that the people who go to them are any good. It's the same with art school...Having the qualification is far more important than actually having any talent.

Symmetric Chaos
The reason that people take acting classes is the same as wanting to get into any profession....qualifications count...In the case of acting though, it's certain schools that count. It doesn't mean that the people who go to them are any good. It's the same with art school...Having the qualification is far more important than actually having any talent.

How about singing? It's just certain noises at the right times. Obviously no body needs training in order to be a good singer, right?

jaden101
How about singing? It's just certain noises at the right times. Obviously no body needs training in order to be a good singer, right?

training helps with breathing control and vibrato...but if you can't sing without training then you're not going to be able to sing with it.

Acting is different...you don't need to be able to act to go to a good acting school...and once you're qualified, you don't need talent to get parts...you need a face that fits and lots of contacts....and even more luck

I'm sure there are far more talented people at acting that now serve coffee in late night LA cafes than many of the big names in Hollywood.

Symmetric Chaos
training helps with breathing control and vibrato...but if you can't sing without training then you're not going to be able to sing with it.

Acting is different...you don't need to be able to act to go to a good acting school...and once you're qualified, you don't need talent to get parts...you need a face that fits and lots of contacts....and even more luck

I'm sure there are far more talented people at acting that now serve coffee in late night LA cafes than many of the big names in Hollywood.

You're still dancing around the point. Just because people get parts because of their looks or their resumes doesn't mean that acting doesn't benefit from training. In fact those points are totally irrelevant.

Bardock42
Pesonally I wouldn't pay 10 bucks to see Bicnarok in a movie. Maybe I would, if he had been in "the right place at the right time", but...he hasn't...so, go Christian!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>