Toshiba Laptop

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raoul
Right,

i just got me a toshiba laptop second hand. i want to reinstall windows, as there's lots of crap on it, but i don't have a disk. is there a way to do this wihout the disk and put the laptop back to factory settings, or do i have to use a new windows disk?

i've tried the toshiba website, but unfortunately couldnt find anything...

any help is appreciated...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Raoul
Right,

i just got me a toshiba laptop second hand. i want to reinstall windows, as there's lots of crap on it, but i don't have a disk. is there a way to do this wihout the disk and put the laptop back to factory settings, or do i have to use a new windows disk?

i've tried the toshiba website, but unfortunately couldnt find anything...

any help is appreciated...

Without a specific disk you won't be able to reset it to factory setting usually. You might find one on a filesharing program (not sure about legality of that), or maybe even on their site (though kinda unlikely). Either way, a standard Windows should do just fine, and you can get the drivers (and sometimes even additional programs) on the toshiba website, for sure. So it might be a bit of work should work fine though. (maybe you should download the necessary drivers first and put them on a USB stick for example, might safe you some Internet troubles).

Hope that helped.

Raoul
Originally posted by Bardock42
Without a specific disk you won't be able to reset it to factory setting usually. You might find one on a filesharing program (not sure about legality of that), or maybe even on their site (though kinda unlikely). Either way, a standard Windows should do just fine, and you can get the drivers (and sometimes even additional programs) on the toshiba website, for sure. So it might be a bit of work should work fine though. (maybe you should download the necessary drivers first and put them on a USB stick for example, might safe you some Internet troubles).

Hope that helped.

thanks man, and yeah, that's what i was thinking of doing...

occultdestroyer
Use PC Decrapifier.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Darth Jello
Toshiba huh...oh the fun you will have....

Raoul
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Use PC Decrapifier.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

thanks.

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Toshiba huh...oh the fun you will have....

huh

Darth Jello
My current laptop is a Toshiba I bought a year ago new. I've had to replace the motherboard twice and the hard drive is next on my list because sometimes it makes very bad noises. Despite their rep, Toshiba is infamous for the amount of consumer lawsuits they get for purposely selling inferior or defective products on the US market. Every time I had my motherboard replaced, the official Toshiba service repair had to go through 10 motherboards Toshiba sent to them before they found one that wasn't broken out of box and kept offering to just sell me a new, more upgraded laptop at a very small discount after reassuring me that my hard drive would probably die within the next 8-16 months. Oh, and memory backup/recovery is an extra charge of +$100 with no guarantees. They literally shell out billions of dollars to settle lawsuits outside of Japan every year.

Have fun.

Raoul
My current laptop is a Toshiba I bought a year ago new. I've had to replace the motherboard twice and the hard drive is next on my list because sometimes it makes very bad noises. Despite their rep, Toshiba is infamous for the amount of consumer lawsuits they get for purposely selling inferior or defective products on the US market. Every time I had my motherboard replaced, the official Toshiba service repair had to go through 10 motherboards Toshiba sent to them before they found one that wasn't broken out of box and kept offering to just sell me a new, more upgraded laptop at a very small discount after reassuring me that my hard drive would probably die within the next 8-16 months. Oh, and memory backup/recovery is an extra charge of +$100 with no guarantees. They literally shell out billions of dollars to settle lawsuits outside of Japan every year.

Have fun.

ouch.

well, i've had mine since... january, and i bought it second hand from someone who'd had it for around a year.

very few problems so far, if any. the only thing is that when i got it, it had 4gb of ram running on a 64 bit system. i couldn't clean the harddrive properly, so i sent off for recovery disks. the ones i got were 32 bit. apparently the guy had upgraded it, which sucks, because apparently you need a 64 bit system to run 4gb of ram. so i'm now faced with the choice of buying a 64 bit vista, or waiting for windows 7...

Rogue Jedi
Dude you coulda had a Dell.

Raoul
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Dude you coulda had a Dell.

over here, dell is overpriced, and full of problems, from what i've heard...

Rogue Jedi
over here, dell is overpriced, and full of problems, from what i've heard... I paid 350 USD three years ago for my Dell Inspiron, not one problem, except for having to replace a bulb behind the screen after I dropped it.

Raoul
I paid 350 USD three years ago for my Dell Inspiron, not one problem, except for having to replace a bulb behind the screen after I dropped it.

that's cool.

they're still overpriced on this side of the atlantic, though. stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
How much do they run for, USD?

Raoul
How much do they run for, USD?

in USD, i'd say a low spec pc is around 450-500, a decent spec would be around 1400-1500.

i can go to pc world and get a pc with an identical spec for around two or three hundred euros less than the same pc would be from dell.

Rogue Jedi
in USD, i'd say a low spec pc is around 450-500, a decent spec would be around 1400-1500.

i can go to pc world and get a pc with an identical spec for around two or three hundred euros less than the same pc would be from dell. Damn dude. Cant you order directly from Dell, online?

Raoul
Damn dude. Cant you order directly from Dell, online?

yes, but again, they still charge over the top... friend of mine told me dell is much cheaper in the states, which is a shame, cos every time i look at an xps, i want one...

Rogue Jedi
yes, but again, they still charge over the top... friend of mine told me dell is much cheaper in the states, which is a shame, cos every time i look at an xps, i want one... Weird, I would have thought the website would offer the same prices worldwide.

Raoul
i wish...

Peach
Weird, I would have thought the website would offer the same prices worldwide.

Different exchange rates and taxes and so on make that very much impossible.

Darth Jello
Plus there is the fact that Toshiba may be charging more because Ireland isn't one of it's designated dumps for defective products like the US, Canada, and several EU countries.

Raoul
Plus there is the fact that Toshiba may be charging more because Ireland isn't one of it's designated dumps for defective products like the US, Canada, and several EU countries.

That's true for the most part (except for Son), though we ened up paying a high price for such products...

no wonder so many people do their christmas shopping in new york... even taking in to account airline tickets, you're still saving money.

Genesis
Dell is garbage. If you have the funds, you'd be best off building your own Desktop/Laptop.

appleptree
i am MAC

Darth Jello
File this under DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I've been having flicker/short circuit problems with my screen for 8 months. Yesterday I fixed those problems. Instead of paying $150 for a new inverter which is what was suggested despite the problem being with the connection, not the inverter, I more or less fixed it by opening the screen casing with a phillips head and taping the inverter and the wires going to it from the mother board and to the backlight with four small pieces of vinyl electrical tape (I noticed before that it was all held together with scotch tape that lost its sticky instead of being soldered like it was supposed to be).

Darth Jello
Originally posted by -Pr-
That's true for the most part (except for Son), though we ened up paying a high price for such products...

no wonder so many people do their christmas shopping in new york... even taking in to account airline tickets, you're still saving money.

Not in this case since your saving money by buying a piece of shit. As I said in my last post THEY USED SCOTCH TAPE IN PLACE OF SOLDER ON THE WIRES CONNECTING THE INVERTER TO THE BACKLIGHT AND THE MOTHERBOARD. That's like, the most moved/moving part of the whole laptop.

-Pr-
Not in this case since your saving money by buying a piece of shit. As I said in my last post THEY USED SCOTCH TAPE IN PLACE OF SOLDER ON THE WIRES CONNECTING THE INVERTER TO THE BACKLIGHT AND THE MOTHERBOARD. That's like, the most moved/moving part of the whole laptop.

laughing out loud

Darth Jello
Yes, laugh. I'm pretty sure my hard drive is lubricated with a combination of spit and verbal encouragement.

Robtard

I've taken apart and tweaked many a desktop and laptop computer; I've seen what some manufacturers do to save money by taking short-cuts; I've never seen scotch-tape, that is inexcusably sad. Then again, Toshiba isn't a brand I've ever worked with. I'll remember to stay away.

If you need a new HD, don't deal with Toshiba (if you still are), buy your own, it's an easy replacement and should be cheaper. Newegg.com has good deals. Bought a 360gb SATA for my wife's Acer for under $60.00, with shipping.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Robtard
I've taken apart and tweaked many a desktop and laptop computer; I've seen what some manufacturers do to save money by taking short-cuts; I've never seen scotch-tape, that is inexcusably sad. Then again, Toshiba isn't a brand I've ever worked with. I'll remember to stay away.

If you need a new HD, don't deal with Toshiba (if you still are), buy your own, it's an easy replacement and should be cheaper. Newegg.com has good deals. Bought a 360gb SATA for my wife's Acer for under $60.00, with shipping.

Again Rob, it's not Toshiba as a whole. It's Toshiba under $1,000 in the US. It's been proven in court over and over again that they knowingly dump defective and poorly built machines as economy models on the US market. Why they would rather lose around $10,000,000,000 in civil and criminal penalties every five years or so rather than just spend a little extra and quality is beyond my understanding. And yes, that's billion.

Robtard
Well **** them anyways, for screwing the little guy over.

Darth Jello
And screwing themselves too.

Robtard
And screwing themselves too.

I can't hold that against them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.