Dead Space Extraction

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/18/ea-announces-dead-space-extraction-for-wii-coming-this-fall/

For all you Dead Space fans, EA is finally making a new one. But there's only one problem: IT'S A WII EXCLUSIVE!! WTH?

The game is a prequel to the first Dead Space and will be out this fall.

I officialy hate EA and Nintendo for this.

Kento
If its a prequel and on the same ship...Does that mean you die at the end of this game?

Though I'm going to get it. I liked the 360 game hopefully this will be good also.

jinXed by JaNx
This has to be one of the worst decisions i've ever heard (if it's true). There is nothing about this that makes any sense. Firstly, the Wi does not cater to mature gamers. Dead Space is a very mature game. Dead Space didn't release for the Wi so why would you release a prequel to dead Space exclusively to a console that didn't see the original? Lastly, they already told this goddamn story in the animated movie. Again, nothing about this makes any sense.

Peach
Just because the Wii doesn't cater almost exclusively to 'mature' gamers (my experience is that those that call themselves mature gamers are nothing of the sort) doesn't mean that there's not people who own Wiis who would be interested in this.

Quincy
Originally posted by Peach
Just because the Wii doesn't cater almost exclusively to 'mature' gamers (my experience is that those that call themselves mature gamers are nothing of the sort) doesn't mean that there's not people who own Wiis who would be interested in this.

I concur.

I have a Wii, and was disappointed that I didn't have a console to play the original Dead Space on.

Kento
Besides what's wrong with Wii getting M rated games? Not that M rated makes a game automatically better but its not like Nintendo can't have them.

I just hope the game plays well.

Peach
And it's not exactly like there are no other M-rated games on the Wii to begin with.

Honestly, the complaints just sound like whiny anti-Nintendo fanboys to me.

Neo Darkhalen
Well I won't get to play it, which sucks. sad

Nemesis X
The first Dead Space is multiplatform but its prequel is a Wii exclusive. Where the hell is EA going with this? It's just giving us more reasons why Nintendo should get it's arse kicked for having companies making games only for their stupid console. We've been waiting for a new Dead Space game and EA gives us this? What a bunch of Nintendo ass kissers.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Well I won't get to play it, which sucks. sad
You could always... y'know, buy a Wii.

If it's really that big of a deal.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
The first Dead Space is multiplatform but its prequel is a Wii exclusive. Where the hell is EA going with this? It's just giving us more reasons why Nintendo should get it's arse kicked for having companies making games only for their stupid console. We've been waiting for a new Dead Space game and EA gives us this? What a bunch of Nintendo ass kissers.
Do you even understand how game deals work? EA most likely approached Nintendo with the idea, not the other way around. They're looking for money from the Wii market.

Nemesis X
And why not from the Xbox or Playstation market? What the heck is so special about the Wii?

General Kaliero
And why not from the Xbox or Playstation market? What the heck is so special about the Wii?
Because it's another market, alongside but not quite competing with the 360/PS3 market. They can get more money from catering to both, and lose less by using an existing IP for a new game.

BackFire
Might have a reason to dust off my Wii finally.

probably not, but it's nice to hope.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Because it's another market, alongside but not quite competing with the 360/PS3 market. They can get more money from catering to both, and lose less by using an existing IP for a new game.

They would get more money if they made Extraction for the consoles that are beating the Wii.

BackFire
Isn't Wii the the number one system this generation?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by BackFire
Isn't Wii the the number one system this generation?

Bull! The Wii is not number one and never will be. It's a console with crappy last gen graphics and some of its controls are irritating.

BackFire
Well, as far as sales go, it is number one - factually.

And that's what matters in the end, they can get their game out to a huge number of potential customers.

Nemesis X
Well, as far as sales go, it is number one - factually.

And that's what matters in the end, they can get their game out to a huge number of potential customers.

At least the 360 and PS3 are having higher sales on their games unlike the Wii's.

BackFire
That's because 90% of Wii games are awful little gimmick shitstrings.

A good game will sell well for the Wii. EA knows this.

Peach
However, that does not change the fact that the Wii has sold more consoles than both the PS3 and 360, despite the fact that it was not created to directly compete with the other two systems but rather was made to hit a different market.

If EA wants to tap into that market, then they have the right to do whatever they want with their games. They think they can make money selling a game exclusively on the Wii. Chances are, they are correct. When Nintendo has a hit, it has a hit, simple as that.

Nemesis X
That's because 90% of Wii games are awful little gimmick shitstrings.

A good game will sell well for the Wii. EA knows this.

EA doesn't know crap. One game that's actually good for the Wii. Big whoop. People will still protest to have this Dead Space game on the PS3 and 360. What EA has done is just wrong. Their first DS game is multi friggin platform and they pay us back for all the fanhype with this? They must be smoking some bad dope.

BackFire
They're getting their IP out to as many different people as possible. It's cheap to make games for the Wii, it could be a big money maker for them. It's smart.

Just because you have salt in your pussy over the Wii isn't their fault.

Peach
EA doesn't know crap. One game that's actually good for the Wii. Big whoop. People will still protest to have this Dead Space game on the PS3 and 360. What EA has done is just wrong. Their first DS game is multi friggin platform and they pay us back for all the fanhype with this? They must be smoking some bad dope.

See, this is an important thing you are missing.

EA, like 99% of game developers, doesn't give a damn about fanhype. What do they care about? What will make them money.

Dead Space was on the 360 and PS3, yes. The new one will be on the Wii. Apparently, EA believes that there are enough people who own only a Wii and are interested in Dead Space for this to be viable. This is very likely a very correct assumption for them to make, considering that there are other M-rated games on the system that have done well.

Really, all this comes down to is you going "I'm ENTITLED to games coming out on whatever systems I want them on!". However, you're not, and nor is anyone else who might get annoyed over this. It's EA's game and IP. They'll do what they want, the fantards be damned.

Nemesis X
Just because you have salt in your pussy over the Wii isn't their fault.

Salt in my what? I'm a guy!

It is EA's fault. Because of them announcing the new Dead Space game to be only on the Wii, PS3/360 gamers are freaking out.

Final Blaxican

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Neo Darkhalen

Do you even understand how game deals work? EA most likely approached Nintendo with the idea, not the other way around. They're looking for money from the Wii market.

I don't see the point in buying a Wii for one game erm

It's not that big of a deal, I just liked Dead Space on console and I would have liked to have continued the story on the console.

Superherovandal
Honestly I was interested in this game until I found out it was a rail shooter. At least they could have made an FPS. WtF were they thinking i mean fps's would work great on the wii but nooo....they have to make rail shooter.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
roll eyes (sarcastic)
Yes I know, but I felt the need to point out the obvious, if impractical, solution.

Salt in my what? I'm a guy!

It is EA's fault. Because of them announcing the new Dead Space game to be only on the Wii, PS3/360 gamers are freaking out.
The only freaking out I'm seeing is from people like you.

Originally posted by Superherovandal
Honestly I was interested in this game until I found out it was a rail shooter. At least they could have made an FPS. WtF were they thinking i mean fps's would work great on the wii but nooo....they have to make rail shooter.
There is really no reason to detest a rail shooter as opposed to an FPS when the controls in this case are virtually identical. A rail shooter just removes the movement controls, which, let's face it, can become an issue with the Wii's limited button space. Control schemes are what have ruined Wii FPS games before, after all.

Rail shooters are not inherently bad games.

Nemesis X
The only freaking out I'm seeing is from people like you.

Dude other people that are outside this forum are freaking out. Do you think people only complain in here?

Neo Darkhalen
Rail shooters are not inherently bad games.

And neither is a game on Wii (most of the time anyway.)

Zack Fair
So long as it doesn't end up looking as crappy as Far Cry for Wii.

Nemesis X
Dead Space 2 better come out soon so I can get my mind off of this horrific situation.

Peach
Dead Space 2 better come out soon so I can get my mind off of this horrific situation.

Oh for ****'s sake.

If you're making this big of a deal over a game coming out on a system you don't like, then I wonder how you'd deal with real problems.

General Kaliero
There is nothing particularly "horrific" about a video game company working at making money in a way that doesn't involve you.

Zack Fair
It is more horrific how little patience nemesis has. biscuits

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Zack Fair
It is more horrific how little patience nemesis has. biscuits

True, true. biscuits

But seriously Nem the world doesn't revolve just around you and what you want.

At the end of the day this is a way for EA to make money, that's what grown ups in the real world work for, money. So that they can use money to live....you'll understand when you're older.

Nemesis X
I ain't the only friggin gamer who has issues with this. Don't even say that I'm the only person because it's obvious that you guys don't hang in other forums. I'm only saying my opinion, you people who are swearing and complaining because I'm complaining is ridiculous.

And Since when did I say everything revolves around me? I'm just not happy with what EA did.

General Kaliero
No one else here appears to be whining and bitching about it. Hell, in your own link, the comments show only one or two people complaining about it being on the Wii (I say "or" because the guy on the second page was rather incoherent), several negatively focused on the "rails" aspect, and a refreshing number of intelligent commenters genuinely interested in what the game will do.

So I say that your example of anger is restricted to a small collection of anti-Wii fanboys only.

Impediment
This sounds interesting. I don't mind a good rail shooter. I mean, just look at RE: The Umbrella Chronicles. 'Twas not the best game I've played, but it was, indeed, fun. Even the two game package of House of the Dead 2 & 3 was fun.

People should really stop their bellyaching. This is not the official sequel to Dead Space. I mean, EA would be insane to make that kind of decision with the pure potential that Dead Space has now. Hell, if you ask me, it's about time that the Wii comes out with a new game that I might actually buy.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Impediment
. Hell, if you ask me, it's about time that the Wii comes out with a new game that I might actually buy.
i'm assuming u havnt bought deadly creatures yet?

but i'll probbly play this game but i dont really buy rail shooters

Nemesis X
What's a rail shooter.

Icy Ninja
A game where you don't move the character, they follow a certain path as if they are a train on a railroad.

Impediment
Originally posted by jalek moye
i'm assuming u havnt bought deadly creatures yet?

No. This game looks very boring to me.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Icy Ninja
A game where you don't move the character, they follow a certain path as if they are a train on a railroad.

What? Okay you know what, forget all that ranting I made. Nintendo can have this game.

Icy Ninja
I don't see why they didn't go with the same game play as the original. The Wii edition of RE4 showed that the Wii controls work very well for a game like this and if they pushed the graphical capabilities off the system it has the potential to look very good. Why they went with the on rails shooter game play I don't know possibly laziness or exploiting the Wii popularity to make some quick cash but who knows it could be a fun game. erm

Kento
Hmm a rail shooter. They need to make it two player to have that arcade experience. And since I like playing Time Crisis at the arcade this game should be fun without having to spend money.

General Kaliero
Once again, people, rail shooters are not inherently "lesser" than more traditional FPSes. Umbrella Chronicles was quite a fun game, Sin & Punishment was amazing, the Star Fox series when Nintendo still knew what they were doing with it... even Pokemon Snap qualifies, in a less violent way. Rail shooters are a legitimate genre that give the developers more control over how they present the story to the gamer. For Dead Space, consideration over the storytelling is a very good thing.

I really don't know how this anti-rails attitude came about.

Neo Darkhalen
House of the dead and Time crisis were great rail shooters.

Sure they kinda took a beating when the Arcade scene died down but the Wii is the best console to revitalize them and use them effectively.

Icy Ninja
I really don't know how this anti-rails attitude came about. My problem with them on a console is that you have to pay the full price of a regular game when I can go to an arcade and play games that are nearly identical for about 1-2 dollars and to me they don't have enough replay value for the full price of 60 dollars.

General Kaliero
My problem with them on a console is that you have to pay the full price of a regular game when I can go to an arcade and play games that are nearly identical for about 1-2 dollars and to me they don't have enough replay value for the full price of 60 dollars.
I suppose that's true for arcade ports, like House of the Dead and Time Crisis, but none of the ones I mentioned were ports. And beside that, the arcade ports are often released relatively cheap.

More to the point, I doubt Dead Space Extraction will be seeing an arcade version, so that's an especially silly reason to hate a game in this case.

Icy Ninja
More to the point, I doubt Dead Space Extraction will be seeing an arcade version, so that's an especially silly reason to hate a game in this case.
I doubt it that it will come to arcades too but don't get me wrong I don't hate the game as I haven't played it yet I just feel it would be a better, funner game if it had the same play style as the original game. Which as I said before could work quite well on the Wii.

Nemesis X
Dead Space did well as a third person shooter but a first person rail shooter is a bad idea.

I doubt this game will be a success. The animated movie sucked and so will its videogame counterpart.

Kento
It may or may not be a bad idea. Won't know until it actually comes out. Just because it's got a different style of game play doesn't mean it'll be any worse.

Though yea the animated movie wasn't that great but I didn't think it was horrible either. Worth to pass the time but not to watch again.

Peach
My problem with them on a console is that you have to pay the full price of a regular game when I can go to an arcade and play games that are nearly identical for about 1-2 dollars and to me they don't have enough replay value for the full price of 60 dollars.

Can you fully play through the game for $1-2 though? Not likely.

Also, Wii games aren't $60.

Dead Space did well as a third person shooter but a first person rail shooter is a bad idea.

I doubt this game will be a success. The animated movie sucked and so will its videogame counterpart.

If it were on any other system beyond the Wii you'd be singing its praises.

Nemesis X
If it were on any other system beyond the Wii you'd be singing its praises.

Rail shooting sucks. Even if Extraction was multiplatform I now wouldn't play this. Last thing I need is to be reminded about arcade games I once played at Chuck E Cheeses when I was little.

General Kaliero
Rail shooting sucks. Even if Extraction was multiplatform I now wouldn't play this. Last thing I need is to be reminded about arcade games I once played at Chuck E Cheeses when I was little.
Ahh, so you have childhood issues. Somehow, this explains a lot.

Rail shooting can be great, you're just confusing opinion with fact.

Nemesis X
Ahh, so you have childhood issues. Somehow, this explains a lot.

It explains nothing! mad

No I don't have issues it's just that arcade games blow.

General Kaliero
It explains nothing! mad

No I don't have issues it's just that arcade games blow.
You'd be better off with things explained, you know.

Also, I get the feeling you're disagreeing simply to disagree with me, now. Arcade games do not, all-inclusively, "blow." If it weren't for arcade games and their comparatively impressive (for the time of manufacture) hardware, consoles would not have been pushed to look better. Arcade games also were constant innovators, as single-game cabinets gave the developers freedom to create brand-new, interesting methods of control particular to the game. Arcade games are an important part of gaming history (Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, anyone?), and continue to be a huge staple in gaming, if not in North America.

Icy Ninja
Can you fully play through the game for $1-2 though? Not likely.
Also, Wii games aren't $60.

True it would take more then the one try but i doubt that it would total around 60 bucks though and in Canada I've seen Wii game priced around the 60$ mark and PS3 and 360 games from 65-70$

Nemesis X
You'd be better off with things explained, you know.

Fine! You want an explanation on why I complain a lot? Here are the reasons: My life sucks! Everytime when I was little, teens beat the crap out of me, people always think I'm the weird one, I went through a lot of things that frustarted me in school, I only make friends for one day and the next day they beat me up and when I beat them up back I get in trouble, and I'm a little addicted to caffeine (darn you coca cola).

There you go.

I do have issues sad

Impediment
Here's the opening 10 minutes of the game:

qKW5BngoV9o

Aside from the shitty voice acting, this game looks promising.

Nemesis X
The Hive Mind is in Extraction but it can't be fought but at least you get to fend off a swarm of it's giant tendrils coming at you. Now that I think about it, exactly how the heck did a thing like that get from the Ishimura to back down in the colony on the planet?

With this game being a prequel and having new bosses, it would explain a whole lot as to why in the first Dead Space, there's not that many giant monsters and why we got such lame bosses. All the good ones were probably taken before Isaac showed up.

Ushgarak
Got this today; pretty good stuff so far. All the better for a casual co-op option.

Btw, that video above is NOT the opening 10 minutes.

Tsal Can
Is it fun as far as rail shooters go?

Ushgarak
Well I actually rather like rails shooters when done well so I'd call it fun full stop. It is better than Umbrella Chronicles, and that was not a bad game.

Tsal Can
worth picking up if you have less then 10 wii games?

Ushgarak
I'm not quite clear on the way that hio many games you have affects that, but yes.

Tsal Can
Allow me to rephrase, is it worth adding to your collection?

Impediment
This looks all too fun, if you ask me. I may have to pick this game up this weekend.

Ushgarak
Oddly enough... one of the impressions you get when playing it is that it didn't HAVE to be on rails. The whole thing is in full 3d running smoothly and at some points you can look around freely and it all works rather well; you just lack the ability to control your movement.

It's almost as if they were able to do more with the engine than they thought. It looks pretty darn good for Wii too.

I think the biggest issue will be that it is too short.

S_D_J
I'm so looking forward to playing this game. I'm a big fan of the original
and I've been hearing nothing but praise for this game.

I'm not much of big fan of on-rail shooters, but THOTD:Overkill got me hooked up, and DS:E sounds even better

Impediment
HOTD: Overkill looks like SO much fun. I have heard that it spews the essence of "Grindhouse".

S_D_J
It does from the very first intro (so do the loading screens)

the story is so (intentionally) bad and hilarious. The intro for every character is amusing (the first boss is priceless), each level has it's "grindhouse" title (complete with poster). it has tons of cursing by the minute (I think it has the title of "game with the most offensive language ever"wink, great one liners (don't say the Z word)... and I think the lip sync is atrocious (though I think that's also intentional)

the game itself it's quite fun, though pretty easy. It's fast and sometimes relentless. You have to be quick to pick up all secrets. It's a blast to play co-op, and it's got quite a few challenges to play outside the main game.

Best Zombie experience this side of "Shawn of the Dead" (though Dead Rising 2 sounds great as well)

back on topic: I hope DS:E is just as fun

Nemesis X
Wait, how do you guys know the game will be short and how short are we talking here?

Ushgarak
How do I know? I've played through a lot of it it. It's less than ten hours, and if you concentratew on just playing through the plot and nothing else, closer to 5. There are the challenge missions to do as well, if you like that sort of thing, Better with a friend.

Nemesis X
As a Dead Space fan, this game has truly wowed me. It's violent, it's creepy, and it has lots of Necromorphs. This is indeed worth the money.

S_D_J
never judge a book by its cover

hopefully you learned that now wink

Nemesis X
Originally posted by S_D_J
never judge a book by its cover

hopefully you learned that now wink

I never judge a game by its cover no matter how pretty it looks and what do you know? You don't know what games I buy.

Morridini
It's not supposed to be taken literally.

So Ush how is the game storywise? Does it do a lot of explaining te backstory of Dead Space or is it still much a mystery?

Ushgarak
I've not actually played the original!

But the game certainly puts a lot of effort into story. Actually it is an exceptionally narrative game. You spend at least as much time in story interaction as action.

BackFire
Ush, you should find a way to play the original, it's really solid stuff.

Morridini
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I've not actually played the original!

But the game certainly puts a lot of effort into story. Actually it is an exceptionally narrative game. You spend at least as much time in story interaction as action.

*Force pushes Ush into space*

Shame, you should really pick it up.

Impediment
I finally bought this game today. I haven't played it yet, but I will tonight. I'm currently playing Dead Space on PS3 on Impossible mode. It's incredibly hard.

I liked House of the Dead: Overkill a lot. Hopefully, this game will offer some good gore, and, also, some good scares.

Actually, I'm really hoping for more back story on the Church of Unitology and the Marker. I re-read my Dead Space comics recently, and the whole "colony going insane" is giving me a lot of unanswered questions. Maybe DS: E will answer some.

I'll post more later after I've played a bit.

Impediment
I played the first two chapters, thus far.

This rail shooter has exceeded all of my expectations for a back narrative storyline.

The controls are easy to grasp, and the combat is smooth.

I eagerly await the oncoming chapters.

FYI, I was blown away by the first chapter. It literally shook me!

Awesome!

Ushgarak
Told you!

Impediment
I read your review, Ush. Very informed, I must say.

I really wish that the graphics were PS3 quality, though. Not that the Wii doesn't have decent graphics, but it would be so such more intense, visually, if you could have a PS3 quality rail shooter with the controls of the Wii, in my opinion.

I read that Dead Space 2 will include a port of DS: E that can be played using Playstation Move. I really need to read more about PS Move before I make any informed opinions about it.

By the way, if anyone can't tell, I am on a serious Dead Space kick.

Sorry to bump all three Dead Space threads, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on all three games without going off topic in specific threads.

RE: Blaxican
I watched the first four chapters of this on Youtube. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the twist in the first chapter.

Nemesis X
Replayability is having its limits. Once the game is beaten, the enemies aren't very challenging anymore. The only thing that has me playing Extraction still is the plot, its scares, and the twists.

Ushgarak
Its main problem is indeed being too short. There are the action arcade level-y things to try, but they don't have the impact of the main game.

It's still a good experience though.

Impediment
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Its main problem is indeed being too short. There are the action arcade level-y things to try, but they don't have the impact of the main game.

It's still a good experience though.

My only complaint is that you can't stockpile your weapons. I always have to decide which weapons to hang on to and which weapons to drop, never knowing which weapon will come in handy for the level.

I am currently at the level which has the female Indian doctor as the level's protagonist. Using the Ripper with the Wiimote was a lot of fun. Killing the Brute, however, was kinda tricky. The ending of that level kinda pissed me off, but I somehow knew that's what was going to happen.

Ushgarak
The problem with the brute is that it is not immediately clear what you are meant to do, which is a shame.

Also playing her was a bit weird in a combat sense. She's a wimpy doc, not a dead hard hero!

Nemesis X
I too was mad at the ending of that level but it sure was a twist although a rather cliched one used very oftenly in most plots horror related: Person betraying another, leaving them for dead in the hands of a monster to survive but later on gets killed proving that being a d**k will cost you your life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.