Heath Ledger wins Academy Award for his role as "The Joker" in "TDK"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Congrats.

i picked him to win.

To me his Joker was the best portrayal of any kind of any Joker portrayed by any one else, including the in the "toons, the comics, tv's shows, etc, lookswise and voice-wise and personality-wise,

He pulled the role off flawlessly. A role that happens to be extremely difficult; the portrayal of probably the most (in)famous comicbook villain in history.

Daft Ada

Publius II
I don't how anyone would've reacted if he'd lost, to be honest.

jalek moye
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Congrats.

i picked him to win.

To me his Joker was the best portrayal of any kind of any Joker portrayed by any one else, including the in the "toons, the comics, tv's shows, etc, lookswise and voice-wise and personality-wise,
ledgers joker is crap compared to the comic book joker. it was a great film adaptation though

FistOfThe North

BruceSkywalker
truly a well deserved win

Final Blaxican
Why is this news, really.

We all knew he was going to win. He had too win.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Why is this news, really.

We all knew he was going to win. He had too win.

Just outta curiousity what do you mean "he had to win"?

Final Blaxican
This nomination is the only chance Heath Ledger would have ever had, meaning that was his last chance to get the oscar.

Everyone that was running against him for nomination? They're still alive, meaning that even if they didn't win they could always have more chances next year and the year after that. Heath? If he didn't get nominated he would never get one. So the guild basically just gave it to him.

Barker
This nomination is the only chance Heath Ledger would have ever had, meaning that was his last chance to get the oscar.

Everyone that was running against him for nomination? They're still alive, meaning that even if they didn't win they could always have more chances next year and the year after that. Heath? If he didn't get nominated he would never get one. So the guild basically just gave it to him.
Gave? Seriously?

Final Blaxican
Srsly.

I think he deserved it, personally.

However, I think that even if his performance had been of worse quality than the other nominees he would have gotten it, is my point.

celestialdemon
IMO, Mark Hamill does the best portrayal of the Joker. That's animated, though. I do think Heath did the best live action Joker even if it wasn't completely faithful to the comic.

I'm glad Heath won. He definitely deserved it this year.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jalek moye
ledgers joker is crap compared to the comic book joker.

Not really, The Nolan version of the joker captured the dark and sinister side of the Joker something like you see in The Killing Joke.

SpaceMonkey

Everyone that was running against him for nomination? They're still alive, meaning that even if they didn't win they could always have more chances next year and the year after that. Heath? If he didn't get nominated he would never get one. So the guild basically just gave it to him. Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Srsly.

I think he deserved it, personally.

However, I think that even if his performance had been of worse quality than the other nominees he would have gotten it, is my point.

Agreed 100%

I think he deserved the Oscar and every other award he got. However, the Oscars are not awards for best talent.... REALLY. There have been so many snubs it's a joke really. I would not have been surprised if Heath hadn't won. It would have been like, "Of course!". I mean Slumdog Millionaire is the talk of the industry right now, it HAD to win. Even though it wasn't the best picture, clearly. Everyone liked the reaction it's first win got so the train kept on steaming along. Like when Chicago beat both Gangs of New York and The Two Towers.... it's a joke.

MildPossession
Even if they happened to give it to him 'just because', his role as the Joker was fantastic and glad he won it for that role. None of the others, though good, in the same catagory blew me away like Ledger.

Mother_Morphine
Originally posted by jalek moye
ledgers joker is crap compared to the comic book joker. it was a great film adaptation though I couldn't agree more, Ledger was a shitty actor who just happened to be ready to die when he played the Joker, that is why the film adaptation was better than Nicholson and Romero, Ledger was ready to commit suicide. The Comic book Joker is so much more brutal shooting people left and right, he beat Robin to death with a lead pipe, and he paralyzed Barbara Gordan hence why she is no longer Batgirl, he's stabbed people, tortured them, blew them all to hell. Ledger did a good job but certainly not better than the comic.

Mother_Morphine
Originally posted by Kazenji
Not really, The Nolan version of the joker captured the dark and sinister side of the Joker something like you see in The Killing Joke. No, the Joker is completely white, he doesn't paint his face, he got parts of the persona correct but not all. The sheer brutality maybe of some of the parts match but not the whole performance. And the real comic book Joker would not have missed that armored car, Dent along with Gordon would have been dead.

Mother_Morphine

Everyone that was running against him for nomination? They're still alive, meaning that even if they didn't win they could always have more chances next year and the year after that. Heath? If he didn't get nominated he would never get one. So the guild basically just gave it to him. That is the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard!

Blinky
No big surprise. If Ledger didn't get the award people would ***** and moan. To be honest I thought he deserved it because he didn't have much competion, but his performance wasn't exceptional.

Dr Will Hatch
I thought his performance was fantastic, great, everything people have said. However I'm pissed that the other actors didn't get the same amount of praise which I thought they deserved, and that the movie itself wasn't nominated.

Master Crimzon
Exactly. While I think that Heath Ledger's performance was supremely memorable and one of the finest rendered villains in modern cinema, the value of a director in this should not be taken out of the equation. For example... do you think Heath Ledger's performance would've achieved the same level of credit had it not been for the tense and unnerving atmosphere that engulfs the movie every time he shows up? The cinematography, the score (the rising, static-like noise in particular), and the dialogue all help craft his performance.

Of course, this is perfectly acceptable; all great performances were helped by the people behind the camera. But still, it's impossible to forget Nolan's ultimate contribution to the movie. He was the genuine 'star' of the film, in my opinion.

All in all, I'd rather have seen TDK rack up nominations for best picture and director and have Heath snubbed than vice versa, although a perfect world would have both.

Mairuzu
He's got it

jalek moye
Originally posted by Kazenji
Not really, The Nolan version of the joker captured the dark and sinister side of the Joker something like you see in The Killing Joke.
he partly captured it but it was no where near it in terms of quailty

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mother_Morphine
,Ledger was a shitty actor who just happened to be ready to die when he played the Joker, that is why the film adaptation was better than Nicholson and Romero, Ledger was ready to commit suicide.

How did you come to that conclusion and 'Ledger was ready to commit suicide' ?? what a load of crap

He was taking the right pills to deal with his sleeping problem but it was just the wrong mixture and to top it off with that Dr Parnassus they were using some machine to the enviroment cold and that did'nt exactly help.

Wolfie
Heath Ledger was a good actor, no doubt about it.

He would not have been nominated for the Oscar if he didn't die.

The fact that he was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in a COMIC BOOK MOVIE (have we forgotten that the only other comic book movie to win an Oscar before now was Road to Perdition?), which also turned out to be his final role before his death, becoming the second actor to ever win an Oscar after his death is all too much of a coincidence to be based on his performance alone.

I'm not saying that Ledger's performance was bad. I'm also not saying that comic book movies are bad. I'm saying that the Academy doesn't award these kinds of movies. Ledger's death created a huge bias for the Academy.

Nemesis X
Nobody can pull off an awesome live action Joker like Heath Ledger.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Nobody can pull off an awesome live action Joker like Heath Ledger.

That's what they said about Jack Nicholson after his Joker performance.

Nemesis X
Jack Nicholson's Joker sucked.

Pyron_Knight
YeEDIT

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Jack Nicholson's Joker sucked.

No it didn't.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Wolfie

I'm saying that the Academy doesn't award these kinds of movies. Ledger's death created a huge bias for the Academy.

At least it shows comic book movies can be done in a good way to be noticed by the Academy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.