Whatever you hold true on Earth i shall hold true in Heaven.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jinXed by JaNx
So, what do you think this means? Does this pertain only to Christians? If we believe that there is no God does that mean god has to commit suicide?

Da Pittman
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
So, what do you think this means? Does this pertain only to Christians? If we believe that there is no God does that mean god has to commit suicide? That would mean that if I hold true that God doesn't exist then he must not exist in heaven? messed

Grand-Moff-Gav
It means the Pope is infallible.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Da Pittman
That would mean that if I hold true that God doesn't exist then he must not exist in heaven? messed

No, it means that if Paul holds true that God doesn't exist then God will deny his own existence.

King Kandy
So the pope controls God?

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by King Kandy
So the pope controls God?

No, it means God will uphold the Pope's teachings on Earth. However, the Pope is guided by God and if a Pope was going to do something God did not want he would never have ascended to the Papacy.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
No, it means God will uphold the Pope's teachings on Earth. However, the Pope is guided by God and if a Pope was going to do something God did not want he would never have ascended to the Papacy.
What if he changed his mind after becoming pope?

Shakyamunison
So, what do you think this means? Does this pertain only to Christians? If we believe that there is no God does that mean god has to commit suicide?

It is the giving of authority to the church. However, if you don't believe in a god (any of them), then this authority is imaginary.

Shakyamunison
What if he changed his mind after becoming pope?

The Christian god would kill him.

Da Pittman
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
No, it means God will uphold the Pope's teachings on Earth. However, the Pope is guided by God and if a Pope was going to do something God did not want he would never have ascended to the Papacy. God didn't elect him as the Pope, it was Cardinals in the Church that did that are all subject to human flaws just like the rest of us. Greed, the hunger for power and what else is so honored but being the Pope. This is not some divine process but just as any other election needing votes from others so if they don't like you then you don't get their vote.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The Christian god would kill him.
But doesn't the Christian God have to uphold the Pope's will on Earth according to this?

Shakyamunison
But doesn't the Christian God have to uphold the Pope's will on Earth according to this?

Remember the OT god? God can be a dick when he wants to be.

King Kandy
Remember Church history? The Pope can be a bigger one.

Shakyamunison
Remember Church history? The Pope can be a bigger one.

Humans has an excuse. wink

MilitantDog
The Pope is a man. Elected by other man. To control other men. Anything this geriatric says God him told is just old age catching up with. And to hold several billion in care for "God".

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Da Pittman
God didn't elect him as the Pope, it was Cardinals in the Church that did that are all subject to human flaws just like the rest of us. Greed, the hunger for power and what else is so honored but being the Pope. This is not some divine process but just as any other election needing votes from others so if they don't like you then you don't get their vote.

Yeah, but the outcome is always what God would want.

Well, when the Pope makes a proclamation on faith and morals God will uphold it...but the Pope can't make proclamations if he's been struck by lightning.

Mindship
So, what do you think this means? ... If we believe that there is no God does that mean god has to commit suicide? Man is God negating Himself. smokin'

mr.smiley

laughing

Bicnarok

Probably what you believe is what you get when you die, on the your create your own reality road. Similiar to what some new age folk believe.

Digi
It means if it's a party down here, it'll be a party up there.

Woo! Party at my place Pittman's!

Burning thought
I thought God supposedly gave man free will?

So surely by that teaching things do not always go the way God wishes. Inlcuding who becomes pope.

Transfinitum
That particular verse from Holy Scripture is what gives the Pope his doctrinal infallibility regarding matters of faith and morals. That being said, the Pope cannot teach in error, lest the entire theological construct of the church crumbles. So, in effect, if the pope proclaimed infallibly that God did not exist or some other absurdity along those lines, then the religion would then be in vain.

That being said, the matters which have been "bound on earth as they are bound in heaven" are few and far between- I believe the last one dealt with the assumption of the Blessed Virgin.

But it is an interesting verse for protestants; I find it difficult to see how one would interpret the verse if they deny the need for an authority figure in Christianity. I assume it would deal with just Peter, but then again, peter did start the Church. By that reasoning, then, the Catholic Church was infallibly given authority by Christ directly- none of the protestants can say the same.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Transfinitum
That being said, the Pope cannot teach in error, lest the entire theological construct of the church crumbles.
I love this argument: "It has to be right because it would really suck if it were wrong."

Originally posted by Transfinitum
But it is an interesting verse for protestants; I find it difficult to see how one would interpret the verse if they deny the need for an authority figure in Christianity. I assume it would deal with just Peter, but then again, peter did start the Church. By that reasoning, then, the Catholic Church was infallibly given authority by Christ directly- none of the protestants can say the same.
Just because a person is given authority does not mean it is passed to his successors. I'm not a christian, but I can see it being explained that the whole thing started and ended with peter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.