Rank the Metal Gear Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
1. Metal Gear Solid - Had pretty much everything you cuould ask from an MG game. Deep story, moving characters, plot twists, awesome environments and boss battles, music...it had it all. Also had my favorit eending in the series.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Often attacked for starring Raiden and its plot that requires one to think. No doubt you have to be into the story to appreciate this game but as I do love the story of the series, I love this game. The areas outside the Big Shell were gorgeous and I generally liked the new characters (Solidus and Vamp mostly though)

3. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Played it with my copy of Subsistence. It had many of the elements that made MGS1 so amazing. It's cast of characters and the story told throughout the game was awesome. All culminating in Big Boss' speech of his war-controlled vision of the world.

4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - To contrast with MGS2's twists and turns, MGS3 was probably amde to be very simplistic. There were no scenes that made you scratch your head (except when the giant flaming head came after you i guess) but it still told a deep story of how Big Boss became Big Boss. I also loved the underlying James Bond vibe they gave it.

5. Metal Gear - A fun game but lacking the storyheavy depth of its sequels. I sitll enjoyed it.

6. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Lacking a thick story actually beats this tripe. Meryl marrying a character who originally had no place in the series other than as a comedic foil who shit himself all the time? Talk about kicking in the face the epic ending of MGS1.

Never played PO.

Neo Darkhalen
My mistake.

Also is this going by just the main console games or are we taking all the handheld and side games into account?

Zack Fair
Metal Gear Solid 4

The way it concluded the plot was flawless. Gameplay was given a much needed overhaul. Great Multiplayer bundled with MGOnline. Everything about this game screams polished.

Metal Gear Solid

The first MGS I played and one of the most memorable experiences I've enjoyed in gaming. Clever storyline. Gameplay was nice at its time, but it had some inherent flaws. Never the less this game is a classic that set the standard for the rest in the series.

Metal Gear Solid 2

Eventhough the story had flaws it didn't keep me from enjoying the game. The gameplay was a nice upgrade over the original. Graphics were phenomenal for its time(though most mgs games have that trait)

Metal Gear Solid 3

My least favorite Metal Gear. The story took a turn for the super natural...I found the Cobra unit to be ridiculous at first, but they later grew on me. Playing as a young Big Boss was nice, but they could have made him more original instead or pretty much copy/pasting Solid Snake. Better graphics than MGS2 ...however the gameplay was tedious.

MG Portable Ops

Good story. Big Boss had an identity of his own here. Graphics for the PSP are quite good. Unfortunately the controller layout kept me from finishing this game.

---

Never played the first 2 Metal Gears nor Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
It's actually Metal Gear 2 Snakes revenge. (Not solid snake)

Also is this going by just the main console games or are we taking all the handheld and side games into account?

I'm afraid you're wrong my friend. The real sequel of Metal Gear was Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Snake's revenge was just a cash in. It played poorly and Kojima doesn't even aknowledge it.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Zack Fair
I'm afraid you're wrong my friend. The real sequel of Metal Gear was Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Snake's revenge was just a cash in. It played poorly and Kojima doesn't even aknowledge it.

Wow really, my mistake then; I shall make the appropriate edit, thanks for the info.

As for rank I'll go

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear solid 3
MGS Portable Ops
Metal Gear solid 2
Metal Gear

Haven't played any others.

Icy Ninja
1. Mgs4 one two words Beyond Epic
2. Mgs3 the game that introduced me to the series Big Boss is my hero
3. Mgs2 Story was confusing the first time and gameplay wasn't as good as number 3 but it is of course and older game but still a very "solid" game

Haven't played Mgs never owned a PS1 trying to find a copy of the twin snakes though. sad

GenomeFrozener
By terms of Story and drama wise.
1.) MGS2
2.) MGS3
3.) MGS1
4.) MGSPO
5.) MGS4
6.) MG
7.) MG2

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Kojima doesn't even aknowledge it.

Kojima actually played and ejoyed it, but he didn't incorprate it into the main story.

Smasandian
Considering I don't like most MGS games outside of 4, I'll go with 4.

As other people have said, the gameplay needed to be better and becoming more westernized helped it alot. It was really fun. The cutscenes were pretty cool also. I don't like the last level though. They took a wicked paced game with stealth and small encounters and gave me respawned enemies and all action. In my opinion, the final boss encounter was annoying, and the ending cut scene was a bore. And seriously, the story near the end was awful, in my opinion.

Magee
MGS3
MGS4
MGS2
MGS

Kazenji
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - To contrast with MGS2's twists and turns, MGS3 was probably amde to be very simplistic. There were no scenes that made you scratch your head (except when the giant flaming head came after you i guess) but it still told a deep story of how Big Boss became Big Boss. I also loved the underlying James Bond vibe they gave it.

Giant flaming head blink

when was this ??

Kento
MGS
MGS PO
MGS3
MGS 2

Haven't played the rest.

GenomeFrozener
Originally posted by Kazenji
Giant flaming head blink

when was this ??

In the cut scene after you beat The Fury.

Kazenji
I don't remember it, Must be with the Subsistance one.

occultdestroyer
1. MGS4 - Awesome graphics, decent storyline, and overall a good shooter/stealth game.

2. MGS - The trendsettah! The 1st MGS game I played. Great storyline, graphics were ahead of its time. Only con is you can't move while crouching. Great.. just great.

Haven't played the others, and probably won't play them evar.
So meh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.