Superman (1938) vs. Spiderman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eel O'Brien
Superman during his early days vs. Spiderman

KingD19
Well, during his first appearances, couldn't he barely lift a car? Spidey has been class 10-15 since he came out, I think he takes it. And did you know Superman was supposed to be evil when he was first created?

Valerian
Originally posted by KingD19
And did you know Superman was supposed to be evil when he was first created?

what? really? I had no Idea

KingD19
Are you serious or was that sarcasm? I really can't tell from a written response.

lawest9
Well, during his first appearances, couldn't he barely lift a car? Spidey has been class 10-15 since he came out, I think he takes it. And did you know Superman was supposed to be evil when he was first created? All the heroes of that time era was a little rougher in their dealing with criminals before their characters were install with a code of conduct against killing or doing irrepairable damage. Is this what you mean by superman being evil? if not can you then post substantial proof to post what you mean?!

Doom and Gloom
Well, during his first appearances, couldn't he barely lift a car? Spidey has been class 10-15 since he came out, I think he takes it. And did you know Superman was supposed to be evil when he was first created?

I used to have the late 70s reissue of the 1938 Action Comics where Superman first appeared. He may have been much weaker than what he later evolved into but he was still bulletproof and could toss cars around easily. I'd say vs Spiderman it'd be a good matchup, I'll call it a draw.

And he was definitly NOT evil, and I HATE Superman.

Space M ummy
Originally posted by lawest9
All the heroes of that time era was a little rougher in their dealing with criminals before their characters were install with a code of conduct against killing or doing irrepairable damage. Is this what you mean by superman being evil? if not can you then post substantial proof to post what you mean?!

a quick trip to wiki brings up this:

It's common knowledge, but the "villanous" version of superman had nothing in common with the current version outside of his name. It's not really relevant at all. There's a scan in the wiki article as well, if you're really, really bored and need convincing.

psycho gundam
it was a character called: "uber minch", he was a german super soldier like the red skull.

and spider-man would have trouble with o.g. superman since he was like rhino but with actual intelligence and speed.

spider-man is most likely stronger and more skilled, plus the webbing and spider-sense, and the ability to cling to surfaces. but superman does have that speed advantage.

spider-man 5-6/10.

Space M ummy
Originally posted by psycho gundam
it was a character called: "uber minch", he was a german super soldier like the red skull.

and spider-man would have trouble with o.g. superman since he was like rhino but with actual intelligence and speed.

spider-man is most likely stronger and more skilled, plus the webbing and spider-sense, and the ability to cling to surfaces. but superman does have that speed advantage.

spider-man 5-6/10.

I don't know if I'd give OG superman the speed advantage. Both are "faster than a speeding bullet". (spiderman has dodged, caught, AND outrun them...) In a footrace superman likely has better stamina but we're talking a fight.

Spiderman's reflexes are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better, since he's precognitive thanks to spider sense, I'm pretty sure class 10-15 is stronger than OG superman, and that webbing would likely cause superman some pretty big problems. each strand is stronger than a steel cable and really, really sticky.

Supes' durability is higher, but spiderman has handled bulletproof foes before. (tombstone, lizard, etc)

spiderman 8/10 here.

guy222
Spidey FTW

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Space M ummy
I don't know if I'd give OG superman the speed advantage. Both are "faster than a speeding bullet". (spiderman has dodged, caught, AND outrun them...) In a footrace superman likely has better stamina but we're talking a fight.
he's faster than a speeding bullet, and also able to move in a non-linear motion... and reach out and grab things. no expression he's like quicksilver but with about 10 ton strength and being bulletproof.

i still give spider-man the win but it's closer than 8 out of ten due to superman's speed.

SupremeMan
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
Superman during his early days vs. Spiderman

How early? Within a few issues, he was running across a room and grabbing a bullet out of the air. If this is strictly Action Comics #1, I'd give it to Spider-Man.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Space M ummy
I don't know if I'd give OG superman the speed advantage. Both are "faster than a speeding bullet". (spiderman has outrun them...)

Holy shit. Spiderman's actually outrun a bullet? no expression

I remember having a Spiderman trading card when I was in elementary school. It said 8 tons on the back as Spidey's strength limit. But hey, I don't read Spiderman and he's probably been upgraded since...

lawest9
Originally posted by Enyalus
Holy shit. Spiderman's actually outrun a bullet? no expression

I remember having a Spiderman trading card when I was in elementary school. It said 8 tons on the back as Spidey's strength limit. But hey, I don't read Spiderman and he's probably been upgraded since... Actually he was upgrade to the 20-25 ton level not too long ago, and then he was recently dropped back dowm to his original ten ton level, Marvel is so full of it!

Rage.Of.Olympus
How far back are we talking?

Able to leap entire buildings (Sky Scrapers etc.) in a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than entire locomotives etc. powerful.

At that level I can see him winning. You need more than 10 ton strength to over power speeding locomotives.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
How far back are we talking?

Able to leap entire buildings (Sky Scrapers etc.) in a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than entire locomotives etc. powerful.

At that level I can see him winning. You need more than 10 ton strength to over power speeding locomotives.

That quotation is from the Superman radio show- just like his weakness to Kryptonite.

It was never mentioned in Action Comics, and doesn't apply to first issue Superman.

And it's not a particularly accurate gauge even if it was.

Enyalus
I like it when people ask 'how far back', when the date intended is given in the title...

Mindset
lol

Rage.Of.Olympus
I like it when people ask 'how far back', when the date intended is given in the title...

laughing

Lol, I couldn't stop laughing when I read this. It's right there in the title, and I missed it.

eer

psycho gundam
^ be ashamed, be very ashamed.

Enyalus
laughing

Lol, I couldn't stop laughing when I read this. It's right there in the title, and I missed it.

eer

Wasn't just you who missed it. (SupremeMan)

smile

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by tjcoady
That quotation is from the Superman radio show- just like his weakness to Kryptonite.

It was never mentioned in Action Comics, and doesn't apply to first issue Superman.

And it's not a particularly accurate gauge even if it was.

You're telling me that Superman was never at the level of power or near there?

Yes I used the famous, radio phrase, but I was lazy and didn't want to go into describing his powers from any specific time period.

Either way, the Superman from the 1930's could run faster than an express train, nothing short of an artillery shell could penetrate his skin, he could lift amazing weights such as steel support beams etc.

I believe I got the description from "Action Comics #1" right.

With that level of power (Around there), it would be a decent enough fight.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Wasn't just you who missed it. (SupremeMan)

smile

Lol.

I blame it on the lack of sleep. I should be in bed by now.

Enyalus
Lol.

I blame it on the lack of sleep. I should be in bed by now.

Because of the thread UKR started I'm re-reading Thor 300. And probably shouldn't be, seeing how the letters are starting to blend together...

Rage.Of.Olympus
Because of the thread UKR started I'm re-reading Thor 300. And probably shouldn't be, seeing how the letters are starting to blend together...

Lol. That isn't a good sign.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.