Classic Resident Evil or New Resident Evil

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Wil
Should they make a Resident Evil like in the days like they were in a mansion and make it scary, or keep it like right now?

King-Fingolfin
Yes. They should make a classical RE.

ALSO A RESIDENT EVIL 2 REMAKE!

Mairuzu
Just play the game cube one

i just want to go back to regular zombies and scary building and shit.

i want to go to racoon city. out in the streets zombies everywhere

Smasandian
Easily the new versions of RE.

The old ones controlled like shit.

I am who I am
Makes no difference to me.

Neo Darkhalen
By all means remake the 2nd game, but give it the RE4/5 controls/camera scheme, I hate the old tank movement and the set camera views, they were acceptable for the time, but now they are pretty much redundant.

Resident Evil is all about evolution it keeps evolving so going back to previous game styles is not an option I would imagine.

Zack Fair
I would love raccoon settings with RE4's gameplay.

Impediment
RE 2 remake with the over the shoulder control scheme. 'Twould be epic awesomeness.

Personally, I love the Gamecube remake of RE 1. It's beautiful graphics and, thankfully, improved voice work make it a very memorable game.

Either way, beit old style RE or new style, RE 2 needs to be remade. Soon.

Smasandian
I wish they also made the previous games with the RE4 control scheme.

Same with the old MGS games.

Nemesis X
Classic Resident Evil has camera controls that were irritating as hell.

New Resident Evil has easy camera controls and it looks more fun. They should remake all the old Resident Evil games with RE4's gameplay.

I hear that RE2 is being remade with RE4's gameplay but it's only going to be on the Wii. For some reason the name is changed to Darkside Chronicles. For the love of god Capcom, make everything multiplatform.

BackFire
They need to keep the current controls, that's for damn sure. I was trying to play the older ones last night and it's pretty much impossible to go back to those after playing the new ones, controlling them is truly awful now.

But I'd like to see them get back to fighting zombies and being creepy. I liked RE5 quite a bit, but the game just wasn't creepy.

And what Imp said, a RE2 remake with the new control scheme would be amazing.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Classic Resident Evil has camera controls that were irritating as hell.

New Resident Evil has easy camera controls and it looks more fun. They should remake all the old Resident Evil games with RE4's gameplay.

I hear that RE2 is being remade with RE4's gameplay but it's only going to be on the Wii. For some reason the name is changed to Darkside Chronicles. For the love of god Capcom, make everything multiplatform.
It's not RE4 gameplay, it's a sequel to Umbrella Chronicles. Light gun arcade philosophy.

I'd like an enhanced RE2 remake, mostly because I've never actually played 2.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by General Kaliero
It's not RE4 gameplay, it's a sequel to Umbrella Chronicles. Light gun arcade philosophy.

I'd like an enhanced RE2 remake, mostly because I've never actually played 2.

Odd because I could've sworn I saw Leon running and aiming the same way he did in RE4.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Odd because I could've sworn I saw Leon running and aiming the same way he did in RE4.
Well yes, one of the decisions was to have the partner character visible on-screen in single player. Leon is on-screen when you play as Claire.

Final Blaxican
Like Timecrisis.

That's kind of cool I guess.

SaTsuJiN
the new control scheme.. but classic creepy

to do this, they'll have to proceed as they planned.. by starting the character roster and story from scratch

Neo Darkhalen
Classic settings, T-virus zombies but set the controls/camera of Res 4/5 now thats what I want to see. Oh and 2 MUST be remade at some point.

Nemesis X
Not only do I want to see RE2 remade but RE3 as well.

SaTsuJiN
I kinda want the 1st and 2nd player (if any future RE's are co-op) to be unable to communicate when they're far apart.. (unless they get like a radio item), and be only able to hear eachother within earshot (sortof like halo did with the ability to hear enemy chatter, or the intel perk in call of duty 4)

§P0oONY
Well, RE4 is my favourite closely followed by RE2, so I don't know really.

Kero_Co
I like both. I think they should just switch between the two every once and a while.

occultdestroyer
Dino Crisis remake with RE4 control scheme = EPIC WIN

SpadeKing
they should remake all of them like the new ones

just probably have to remove the laser thing since they didn't have it originally, leave the dead bodies on there, basically everything the old games did except with the controls to make it harder and somewhat scarier

General Kaliero
I think I must say that the classic RE games were never all that scary either. About the scariest thing was Cerberi jumping through windows in the first one.

Peach
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I think I must say that the classic RE games were never all that scary either. About the scariest thing was Cerberi jumping through windows in the first one.

**** THAT PART.

Nemesis X
Classic RE should not return at all. RE has gotten a whole lot better with the new RE.

If you want classic, hope they use those old RE games as downloadable content or wait till they put them on the Wii.

jalek moye
didn't they remake all the old ones for the gamecube? or was that the first one?

Peach
No, all of the main RE games are available on the Gamecube.

The side ones like Code Veronica and Outbreak are on PS2.

Lord Shadow Z
I loved playing Resident Evil 4 with the new gameplay style, it felt a bit cramped at times when the zombies got heavy but they compensated for that with the 'quick turn' control. The over the shoulder aiming really puts you into the action, especially on the 'Mercenaries' subgame

But saying that I can still play Res 2 and manage the different control and camera style. I would enjoy it if they re-made 2 with 4's gameplay but then they would have to make the story and environments a lot different, otherwise its just the same game with the same puzzles.

I would love to play Res 5, I'd have to get a PS3 though...

Alpha Centauri
I like both.

It's no less a horror game now than it was, it's just a different kind of horror.

Let's be honest, how often can you take it seriously? Zombies? Chris, Leon etc...these are trained men, trained to the highest levels.

There's only so long that scatterings of the shambling undead can cause problems to them.

Also, I found Resident Evil to be terrifying when it came out, because it's one of the single most important and innovative games ever.

I was also very young.

As you grow up, things scare you less. My niece craps herself when playing Res 5, for example. I still found a lot of it intimidating.

Besides, what was always scary to me wasn't the zombies, but the fact that there WERE zombies...in a mansion...in a forest...as a result of some clandestine global corporation's experiments.

The horror of Res has always been about the player being at the mercy of an unseen evil, for me. Reading all the little excerpts of worker diaries and hearing how it all unfolded.

That's where I got the chills from.

Originally posted by Peach
No, all of the main RE games are available on the Gamecube.

The side ones like Code Veronica and Outbreak are on PS2.

Code: Veronica is also on Cube.

-AC

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The horror of Res has always been about the player being at the mercy of an unseen evil, for me. Reading all the little excerpts of worker diaries and hearing how it all unfolded.

That's where I got the chills from.

The Res games were always more potent the first time you played them, cause you didn't know what to expect. When I play Res2 or even 4 I just feel like I'm going through the motions.

You still get the same thrills but you know what to expect and how to defeat it.

80T
Classic all the way.

While I liked RE4, I didn't felt like I was playing a Resident Evil game any more. It was an ok game overall but nothing more... the resident evil feeling was washed away...
Then I've tried to play RE 5/ORC/6 Man... what a disappointment that was... Call of duty: Modern Warfare with a Resident Evil themed setting... nothing more. Well, I could've go play COD:MW but guess what, I don't really like that kind of game...
I just wanted to play A Resident Evil game.
In my opinion, the only improvement EVER brought to a RE game was the RE 1 Remake along with it's follower RE: Zero. Those two were absolute masterpieces!
I can still compare the graphics of those games with modern days games graphics.
Many players complain about classic RE games control scheme (the almighty known "Tank" control scheme) and fixed angle cameras (not isometric) along with the static backgrounds. Well, while all of these were workarounds for the limitations of the old hardware capabilities and not designed as features, ironically led to Classic RE Games became what we know today as arguably "the true survival horror genre" standard.
While I've re-played RE 2 few months ago I did in fact found it was lacking the 180 quick turn that was introduced with RE 3 Nemesis... but that was about it. The only one feature that I was missing and that could be marked as a design flaw (hence... they've fixed with RE3)
I don't want to argue about which it's the best between classic and new RE games but it's for sure that these are now two distinct types of games...
The fact that I love classic and others love the new ones it's just a matter of taste... I like vanilla while others like strawberry... nothing more.
There's nothing wrong with static backgrounds, tank controls, backtracking, over the shoulder aiming, first person, or whatever suits anybody as long as some will like it. Everybody likes what he wants and tastes aren't for discussion.
I, for one love the static backgrounds and tank controls as I think that it's adding suspense and it's a plus to the overall feeling of the game.

Ridley_Prime
*looks at all the older posts here*

Oh Alpha Centauri, how I've missed you.

-Pr-
Wow necro...

Ridley_Prime
It's interesting seeing people's opinion on the series then compared to now, in a weird way. lol

Smasandian
I still like the new RE's. I haven't played RE6 yet but I loved RE4 and didn't mind RE5.

Let's just say, I've played RE4 and beat RE5. The previous games I couldn't even finish. The controls are so bad.

RE needs to go back to its roots but continue to improve the controls and interface.

-Pr-
I've played RE since the first game came out, and TBH, the original three are still the benchmark for me. I played those first three games over and over again, and loved almost every aspect of them. Sure, the controls are dated nowadays, but even now when I sit down and play RE2, i can still see how well they did capturing the horror vibe.

While I like 4 & 5, and will no doubt buy 6 after playing the demo, it's hard for me to compare my enjoyment of the two eras.

Code Veronica isn't really something I think about, though, in all honesty.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-

Code Veronica isn't really something I think about, though, in all honesty.

Why's that?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Why's that?

For me it's the weakest in the series (of the main games), and after 3 was a step backwards gameplay wise, even if it had nice graphics and a non-static camera.

Kazenji
And also they got rid of the pre-rendered backgrounds that was a step in the right direction

also on Resident Evil in general Capcom is thinking of doing some sort of reboot after how Resi 6 performed

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/resident-evil-may-get-a-reboot-or-something/

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
And also they got rid of the pre-rendered backgrounds that was a step in the right direction

also on Resident Evil in general Capcom is thinking of doing some sort of reboot after how Resi 6 performed

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/resident-evil-may-get-a-reboot-or-something/

The camera was a good thing like I said. Gameplay wise, I felt it suffered, with it's only real plus being the ability to dual wield.

Yeah, I heard about that. Will be interesting to see where they go with it.

Kazenji
Resident Evil Producer Says It Would Be "Very Difficult" to Return to Roots

The producer is very good at pointing out the obvious no expression

-Pr-
lol yeah. I know they're waiting to see how Revelations does (I'll most likely get it myself), but yeah, they need to just bite the bullet and go for it I think.

Kazenji
Revelations seems to have done well on the 3DS

most likely do even better with it getting released on the consoles and everything else.

-Pr-
I hope so. I'd really like to see Resident Evil return to its horror roots. Capcom has plenty of properties they can use for action games.

Ridley_Prime
Hm... Ya think "returning to the roots" will mean no more getting to use certain characters like Jake? (at least in story) Was hella fun using him in particular, but it's hard to really feel any sense of horror when you can just go wesker-fu on enemies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.