OnLive... The Future of Gaming?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J
GDC 09: OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming
Next-generation "cloud" technology could change videogames forever.

confused

jalek moye
hmm interesting

I actually hope its as good as they say it will be

occultdestroyer
What about people with slow internet connections?

Morridini
They'll just get everything with lower resolution.

S_D_J
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
What about people with slow internet connections?

that's a problem, I reckon not everyone's got fast internet access in the States as it's led to believe

... but yeah, you get lower 480 resolution

Ushgarak
Well, it IS being touted as the future of gaming, not the present. That being so we know it cannot be far off to when high speed coverage will be as close to 100% as can be reasonably envisaged. The net is only going to get faster and 'wider'.

Scarlet Fox
Meh I dont buy it. sure it runs smoothly when they are testing it. But they do not have results from millions of people going onto the servers at once. Even an ultimate server has limits. Not to mention the fact that not even 75% of people have internet. 50% probably have slow connections, and with the econemy not getting much better, thanks to Obama and his spending, I dont see much happening.

Mairuzu
Hmm...

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Scarlet Fox
Meh I dont buy it. sure it runs smoothly when they are testing it. But they do not have results from millions of people going onto the servers at once. Even an ultimate server has limits. Not to mention the fact that not even 75% of people have internet. 50% probably have slow connections, and with the econemy not getting much better, thanks to Obama and his spending, I dont see much happening.

Once again, this is about the future. Compare internet connectivity today to twenty or even ten years ago. Twenty years from now most of these objections will no longer apply- slow economy or otherwise.

FistOfThe North
i just saw this on xplay and the yahoo home page. it seems promising..

It's already being called the "console killer" which includes (xbox360, wii, ps3 and pc). i how they'd update the state of the art and that they have finally killed laaaa aa-aaaag.

if this flys and it's worth it i'd get it..

here's the (short) yahoo article..

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new-tech-could-make-consoles-obsolete/1299562

FistOfThe North
i meant to write "I love how they would constantly update the state of the art of the system".

They'd need some competition though. Or they won't be as good as they can be.

But i love the idea alot.

jalek moye
what are they doing about controllers?

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Once again, this is about the future. Compare internet connectivity today to twenty or even ten years ago. Twenty years from now most of these objections will no longer apply- slow economy or otherwise.

while it is the future, it's not as far away as it seems, it's going in beta testing in a few moths, and it's planned to be out by December... not all that far away... it would take a few years for it to work properly... but it seems it'd be out in less than a year. At the moment it's out, the objection would still apply

... but, yeah, as things are now, all current consoles are saved from this... next gen it's a different matterOriginally posted by jalek moye
what are they doing about controllers?

You can use any USB or Bluetooth controller...

Ushgarak
Originally posted by S_D_J
while it is the future, it's not as far away as it seems, it's going in beta testing in a few moths, and it's planned to be out by December... not all that far away... it would take a few years for it to work properly... but it seems it'd be out in less than a year. At the moment it's out, the objection would still apply

But the subject of the thread is about this being the future of gaming. No-one ever pretended that the 9600 speed modem was the final say in technology, but you could still look at it as a modem and say "that's the future of computer communications."

So that being the case, does anyone actually have an objection to this idea that is not based around technological issues which will, soon enough, cease to exist?

jalek moye
nope i'm all for it and hopes it goes as planned

Raijin
Reminds me of Phantom and if this thing doesn't flop it will deal a massive blow to the gaming industry.

Please flop.

Quincy
mhmm

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ushgarak
But the subject of the thread is about this being the future of gaming. No-one ever pretended that the 9600 speed modem was the final say in technology, but you could still look at it as a modem and say "that's the future of computer communications."

So that being the case, does anyone actually have an objection to this idea that is not based around technological issues which will, soon enough, cease to exist?

no, none at all

I actually love the Idea... being able to play without a high end/expensive PC sounds great to me Originally posted by Raijin
Reminds me of Phantom and if this thing doesn't flop it will deal a massive blow to the gaming industry.

Please flop.

How so?

DorianYates
When is it out?

Raijin
Beta during the summer and possible release late this year.

@ S_D_J: Hmm I was missinformed about about a few things, but I can see this perhaps hurting graphics card developers. And to be honest this sounds much more promising than Phantom seing as EA, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Epic, and Atari have already jumped on board.

jinXed by JaNx
I prefer hardware but thats just me

S_D_J
I too prefer the real/solid deal... I much rather own a physical copy than a virtual one... but maybe that's because I'm a collector

what's great about this is that it'll pretty much be the same for everyone, minus the expensive hardware...

Ushgarak
I think the legal issue of ownership will be one that eventually comes up f the whole system works like this. Also the possibility of a fire or the like wiping out hundreds of thousands of people's data at once- but then anyone playing an MMO already has that risk, and back-ups are pretty easy these days.

§P0oONY

BloodRain
Can someone sum up what this is about?

§P0oONY
Basically... You play games... without your hardware doing any of the work. All of the software is stored and processed elsewhere and you get a video stream... One that you can control.

You can play any game in their library so long as you have a monitor and at least 2mb/s internet.

I was personally shocked at how well it worked. I live in a rural area with poor broadband coverage and I found that I could use it's service without any faults (I pretty much just get a lower quality of video.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.