Observe & Report vs. Paul Blart

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crystallake
So which mall cop wins out?

Personally, I'm putting my money on "Observe & Report" - at least from a "humor value" standpoint. The next film from Jody Hill, the guy who directed the criminally underseen "The Foot Fist Way", I think this film looks far darker and hilarious than the craptastic "Paul Blart". If you haven't seen the redband trailer for it yet - do so. NOW. It's awesome:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/observe-and-report/red-band-trailer

The sad thing is, though, while I think "Observe & Report" will be a much funnier movie, I don't know if it'll be able to match the box office dollars of "Paul Blart" - a phenomenon which confuses and angers me to this day. Why so many people were willing to drop money on a mediocre comedy like that is beyond me. Personally, I'm kind of hoping "Observe & Report" ends up sort of like "Superbad" - flies beneath the radar at first, and then makes more money than the studios expected it to.

Any chance of this happening?

SnakeEyes
Observe and Report will be 10000 times better, absolutely no contest.

SpaceMonkey
O & R = Blart for adults

crystallake
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
O & R = Blart for adults

O&R has Jody Hill. And Seth Rogen. And Anna Faris. And Aziz Ansari (who is gonna BLOW UP this year big time with this and "Parks & Recreation" and "Funny People"wink. And Ray-freakin'-LIOTTA. And I heard a rumor that Danny McBride does a cameo in it too, which equals pure awesomeness.

On the other hand...

Blart was directed by a guy who's best previous credit was "Dr. Dolittle 2". 'Nuff said.

K.Canton
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Observe and Report will be 10000 times better, absolutely no contest.http://www.tracker-analytics.com/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif

I think that even this is a bit of an understatement. Based on the red-band trailer, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by K.Canton
I think that even this is a bit of an understatement.

Fair point. wink

I really think the whole "Paul Blart" part of this thread should just be removed so this can simply be the Observe and Report topic.

crystallake
Did you see Seth Rogen on David Letterman the other night? Dave was saying that the movie is great - and not in the standard PR patter kind of way either. He was really pumping it up, and I'll admit, it worked - I wanted to see the more after hearing him talk about it, because if Dave's right, it sounds flippin' awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTTP9hCEhk&feature=player_embedded - the interview with Seth and Dave on YouTube.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by crystallake
And Aziz Ansari (who is gonna BLOW UP this year big time with this and "Parks & Recreation" and "Funny People"wink.

Isn't he on Scrubs also?

crystallake
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Isn't he on Scrubs also?

Good call - I totally forgot about that; I think he did have a recurring guest role on "Scrubs" earlier this year, too. I just don't watch that show as regularly as I used to, so I'm not positive. Assuming you're right, just more proof to my theory! stick out tongue

I saw that they linked a tiny interview with him over on Trailer Addict talking about his role on "Observe and Report". I don't know why it seems to cut off - maybe it's just my computer or maybe they edited it that way. Still:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/observe-and-report/interview-aziz-ansari

crystallake
O&R has Jody Hill. And Seth Rogen. And Anna Faris. And Aziz Ansari (who is gonna BLOW UP this year big time with this and "Parks & Recreation" and "Funny People"wink. And Ray-freakin'-LIOTTA. And I heard a rumor that Danny McBride does a cameo in it too, which equals pure awesomeness.

On the other hand...

Blart was directed by a guy who's best previous credit was "Dr. Dolittle 2". 'Nuff said.

Got this in the e-mail:

ToCatchAFlasher.com

Looks like I was right - Danny McBride IS in the movie. If you go to the above site, which is a WB site with a contest where they're giving away some stuff from the movie, and check out the screenshots that are positioned all around the trailer... there's a shot of Mr. Kenny Powers himself, in the very last pic (bottom right)! Awesome!!!

Darth Vicious
I was planning on seeing it eventually but after seeing the trailer, Im there opening night. Seth Rogen is funny as f**k. I usually dont like Ana Farris but that might change after this movie.

crystallake
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I was planning on seeing it eventually but after seeing the trailer, Im there opening night. Seth Rogen is funny as f**k. I usually dont like Ana Farris but that might change after this movie.

That's kind of the way I felt at first, too. I probably would have seen it anyways, since I'll see almost anything with Seth Rogen in it, but after I saw that redband trailer, I was totally sold - I think this looks like one of the funniest movies of the year, and all the positive early reviews that are coming out is just getting me more hyped for it. I can't wait 'til Friday!

GrillingNemo
i gotta go with observe and report. i wasn't that big of a fan of mall cop

crystallake
Got this in the e-mail:

ToCatchAFlasher.com

Looks like I was right - Danny McBride IS in the movie. If you go to the above site, which is a WB site with a contest where they're giving away some stuff from the movie, and check out the screenshots that are positioned all around the trailer... there's a shot of Mr. Kenny Powers himself, in the very last pic (bottom right)! Awesome!!!

By the by... The contest that Warner Bros. is running on that website is ending this weekend; I guess they were only doing it until the movie opens. If you want to win some free "Observe and Report" swag, I'd recommend getting your name into the drawing before Sunday!

SnakeEyes
So. I went to a midnight showing of Observe and Report last night (this morning technically) and I must say, this isn't your typical Seth Rogen film. It's much more ****ed up and the character that he plays walks a fine line between being a likable protagonist and being one that's just disturbing. The movie was funny, as long as you don't think about what you're laughing at, otherwise you realize that his character is literally crazy and that you're laughing at some pretty messed up stuff. Rogen had balls to take the role though, I'm glad he did and I'm glad the movie was made. I read one review of this movie that stated that the viewer will leave the movie unsure of how to feel about what he/she just saw and I agree. I'm still trying to figure out how much I like this film. But for now, I'll give it a tentative 7.5/10. I'm curious to see what the typical Rogen-fans out there will think about this.

Anyway, there's my non-spoiler mini-review. The movie's bold, darkly funny, original (though people have brought up comparisons between this and Taxi Driver) and twisted. I found myself asking what the point of the film was though by the time I was done. Still pondering.

Darth Macabre
Don't shoot me, but...I think Paul Blart might be better. I went to see Observe and Report opening night, and I left thinking that it wasn't really worth it.

Quincy
I dug it.

Lušh
I'll dig it.

DarthLazious
Both of them were not good movies at all.

I went to go to see Observe and Report last weekend and I was highly disapointed with it I had to get my money back. I admire all of Seth Rogan's movies but this one really sucked big time.

A for Paul Blart. I would say its ok for a kids flim but for an adult seeing this movie it sucks so much ass you would wanna walk out of the movie.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by DarthLazious
Both of them were not good movies at all.

I went to go to see Observe and Report last weekend and I was highly disapointed with it I had to get my money back. I admire all of Seth Rogan's movies but this one really sucked big time.

A for Paul Blart. I would say its ok for a kids flim but for an adult seeing this movie it sucks so much ass you would wanna walk out of the movie.

Why didn't you like Observe and Report?

Quincy
I went to go to see Observe and Report last weekend and I was highly disapointed with it I had to get my money back.

Dude are you kidding me? You are one of those ******* people?

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Quincy
Dude are you kidding me? You are one of those ******* people? how was the movie? seeing it tonight or tomorrow

Quincy
Originally posted by Mairuzu
how was the movie? seeing it tonight or tomorrow

It's not like Pineapple Express, Seth Rogen isn't like, a normal dude. His character in the movie is bipolar.

I personally thought it was hilarious. His mexican buddy is a funny dude, and there are a few fight scenes too. Red shows up and he's funny shit too.

The climax made me, and everyone else in the audience laugh for like 20 minutes.

I liked it awesome

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Quincy
It's not like Pineapple Express, Seth Rogen isn't like, a normal dude. His character in the movie is bipolar.

I personally thought it was hilarious. His mexican buddy is a funny dude, and there are a few fight scenes too. Red shows up and he's funny shit too.

The climax made me, and everyone else in the audience laugh for like 20 minutes.

I liked it awesome haha sounds good then, cause im bipolar!

DarthLazious
Well so am I but this isn't your adverge Seth Rogan flim.
It could have been alot better if it was made by the people who brought you Superbad, Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin.

SnakeEyes
Well so am I but this isn't your adverge Seth Rogan flim.
It could have been alot better if it was made by the people who brought you Superbad, Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin.

You very clearly didn't understand the style of humor in Observe and Report, or the point of the film. Really just all relevance you may have had with your opinion just flew out the window with what you just said imo.

jinXed by JaNx
I couldnt stand observe and report but i think it's because of the Directing and not because of the acting. I'm still convinced that Seth Rogan can do more than play Seth Rogan. He hinted at in this movie. Either way, i still enjoy Seth Rogan lol, but i just felt teased with this movie. It may be one of those movies i appreciate more upon a second viewing but i was bored half the time.

. And paul Blart...,no no no no no no NO. If you like this movie you should chew on glass for an hour and then rinse your mouth out with bleach. That might bring you back down to reality. This movie was balls. Plain and simple. Not funny in the slightest. Or even cute. Just stupid, like home alone 6 stupid. No, Ace VEntura pet detective jr stupid. Thats the kind of stupid Paul Blart is...seriously.

The Hawk
Seth Rogen is quite possible the least funniest person ever.. his movies are garbage. But Paul Blart was pretty much on the same level as Home Alone 3. My votes, going to be they both stink.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.