How smart is Superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
Sure, everyone knows about his super strength, invincibility and super speed among other powers...but not much is made of his intelligence.

How smart is Superman?

Raoul
Originally posted by Starscream M
Sure, everyone knows about his super strength, invincibility and super speed among other powers...but not much is made of his intelligence.

How smart is Superman?

He's one of the smartest people on Earth. He has a genius level intellect, speaks plenty of languages, and is considered by most to be a scientific mind on par with his own father...

super pr*xy
in short, he is the sh!z-nite.

jalek moye
smarter then batman shifty

KingD19
You got some juevos man, the Batman junkies will be in contact with you.

jalek moye
Yea'll walk outside and get hit with a batarang

ThunderGodEneru

How smart is Superman? Smarter than joo.

Mindset
Originally posted by jalek moye
Yea'll Yea we will?

jalek moye
Originally posted by Mindset
Yea we will?
i meant to type yea i'll

xJLxKing
Smarter then Quanshi embarrasment

Wei Phoenix
He's not an idiot.

SuperkatmanX
smarter then goku

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by SuperkatmanX
smarter then goku

True.

Nighty101
how smart is superman? About as smart as a rock.

SuperkatmanX
how do i get my signature picture working?

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Nighty101

Such biased opinions. Please defend how he is dumb.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Nighty101
You realize superman is possibly the smartest man on Dc earth, he is an amzing scientist and if he wanted to could be a prep god like batman but its just not his style.

Wei Phoenix
You realize superman is possibly the smartest man on Dc earth, he is an amzing scientist and if he wanted to could be a prep god like batman but its just not his style.

Who needs to prep when you're Superman?

jalek moye
exactly but he could be, he has amazing tech lying around his fortress

The Nuul
Originally posted by SuperkatmanX
how do i get my signature picture working?

Press Alt F4

SuperkatmanX
Originally posted by The Nuul
Press Alt F4

thanks man

Mindset
lul

tsscls
He's smarter than your average bear!

super pr*xy
remember that scene in the movie where a sick portuguese child needed help? then superman asked for a dictionary and all of a sudden he started speaking portuguese to the kid? that's how smart superman is.

oh, wait.. that was john travolta..

CadoAngelus
his IQ is OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!

spidermanrocks
He is smarter than an average human and smarter than a lot of heroes these days but he is not as smart as Batman.

-Pr-
He's a scientific genius on par with his father.

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
He is smarter than an average human and smarter than a lot of heroes these days but he is not as smart as Batman.

in some fields, he would be. probably even smarter.

gobstakid777
Originally posted by tsscls
He's smarter than your average bear! cool

Press Alt F4 laughing laughing

Kris Blaze
Not as smart as Thor.

Lostedge
He is somewhere between Hulk - Reed Richards depending who is writing the story. I think most of the time Superman is written to be quite dumb ... on other times he is like building shit and tricking Mxy.

Allankles
He is has never been depicted being nearly as stupid as Hulk, seriously. At worst he is shown to have average intelligence. At best he's a veritable genius, above the likes of Batman.

Allankles
On average though, most writers depict him as being brilliant, with a scientific mind not unlike his biological father's.

CadoAngelus
Doesn't he get more intelligent the closer to the sun he gets?

and i was always under the impression that DC made superman look uber smart...apart from when he's acting as Clark

Endless Mike
Even as Clark he is a competent reporter. I think second to Lois at the Daily Planet.

beast1234
He has a highly analytical mind.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Press Alt F4

laughing out loud

LOL.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by beast1234

tbh i think that times he acts like he's not as intelligent as we all know he is, is the time that he shows his human side - spending all of his child-teenage-adulthood with humans, giving him mannerisms you can relate to

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Even as Clark he is a competent reporter. I think second to Lois at the Daily Planet.

Which isn't a testament to super intellect.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Not as smart as Thor.

thumb up

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by beast1234

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5242/dumbq.th.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/preacherofnothing/DoomsdayHunterPrey1pg37.jpg

Yeah dude...that just SCREAMS analytical mind to me erm

Philosophía
Thor might aswell be Rhino compared to Superman.

Also, stop trolling. smile

Kris Blaze

-Pr-
Originally posted by ~The Wickerman~
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5242/dumbq.th.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/preacherofnothing/DoomsdayHunterPrey1pg37.jpg

Yeah dude...that just SCREAMS analytical mind to me erm

nowadays, he does.

Thor is smarter than Superman, deal.

proof?

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by -Pr-
proof?

Better women, better friends, better life, better hero.

-Pr-
Better women, better friends, better life, better hero.

so no actual proof, then?

Mindship
Superman has always struck me as very knowledgeable and, on occasion, being rather creative and clever. I'd say his IQ is certainly above average, possibly gifted, but not genius level.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Mindship
Superman has always struck me as very knowledgeable and, on occasion, being rather creative and clever. I'd say his IQ is certainly above average, possibly gifted, but not genius level.
It is Genuis level its just he doesn't show it as much which he's just out and about, but in his fortress he builds advanced robots, devices, and other things that requre extensive scientific knowledge.

Mindship
It is Genuis level its just he doesn't show it as much which he's just out and about, but in his fortress he builds advanced robots, devices, and other things that requre extensive scientific knowledge. This can be covered by knowledgeable and creative but not necessarily genius per se (certainly very smart). "Genius" IMO would be if he were inventing and building things that, even on Krypton, would be considered unprecedented/innovative.

I"m not necessarily arguing that Superman can't be a genius. I just can't think of any feat offhand where "genius" would really fit the bill.

Kris Blaze
so no actual proof, then?

Thor is so knowledgeable that magic hardly works on him.

A field, according to the Phantom Stranger, Superman lacks knowledge.

Allankles
This can be covered by knowledgeable and creative but not necessarily genius per se (certainly very smart). "Genius" IMO would be if he were inventing and building things that, even on Krypton, would be considered unprecedented/innovative.

I"m not necessarily arguing that Superman can't be a genius. I just can't think of any feat offhand where "genius" would really fit the bill.

His eidetic memory would probably be why he's a genius. Remember he built the key parts of the miracle machine. His mind also works a lot faster than any human.

xJLxKing
By human standards, Superman is a Genius.

CadoAngelus
by god standards, he's above average lol

-Pr-
Thor is so knowledgeable that magic hardly works on him.

A field, according to the Phantom Stranger, Superman lacks knowledge.

we had this conversation, so i won't reply.

This can be covered by knowledgeable and creative but not necessarily genius per se (certainly very smart). "Genius" IMO would be if he were inventing and building things that, even on Krypton, would be considered unprecedented/innovative.

superman robots, his manipulation of the phantom zone in for tomorrow, the miracle machine...

Mindship
Originally posted by Allankles
His eidetic memory would probably be why he's a genius...His mind also works a lot faster than any human. Sounds like a computer, but I wouldn't call a computer a genius.

superman robots, his manipulation of the phantom zone in for tomorrow, the miracle machine... Definitely impressive. But were these feats possible because, at some point, he had access to Kryptonian data? Or did he design them from scratch, using only scientific data available on Earth and then he extrapolated from there?

Originally posted by xJLxKing
By human standards, Superman is a Genius. This is what I'm thinking.

-Pr-
Sounds like a computer, but I wouldn't call a computer a genius.

Definitely impressive. But were these feats possible because, at some point, he had access to Kryptonian data? Or did he design them from scratch, using only scientific data available on Earth and then he extrapolated from there?

This is what I'm thinking.

the superman robots were his own creation, afaik. tbh, if there's no proof that he needed kryptonian data to create them, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

what he did with the phantom zone was all him, though like before, he gets the benefit of the doubt unless proof is otherwise provided.

superman memorised the specs for the miracle machine and built his own using 21st century tech, iirc. that alone constitutes genius, imo.

Kris Blaze
the superman robots were his own creation, afaik. tbh, if there's no proof that he needed kryptonian data to create them, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Fortress of solitude...

-Pr-
Fortress of solitude...

he didn't build that, no...

Philosophía
After Infinite Crisis he got his 'super-intelligence' back, as the writers even stated and showed, with Final Crisis being the most obvious example of this, where what he did puts him, imo, among the greatest minds in either company (Marvel/DC). So while before Infinite Crisis he was portrayed as very good but still a far cry from the likes of Steel or Hamilton, it doesn't seem to be the same way currently.

Kris Blaze
he didn't build that, no...

no expression

You misunderstood.

-Pr-

beast1234
Do you guys think he is more creative or more of a logical thinker.

CadoAngelus
creative.

he seems to always think of good ways to building/fixing things, yet when it comes to saving the world he's the first to stick his head out and get shot...bit gung-hoe when it comes to strategy me thinks

-Pr-
he actually does that intentionally.

he's shown examples of both creative and logical thinking. he can use either from what i've seen...

Badabing
These scans are from Superman: World Of New Krypton #5.

Basically, we see Superman's friend, Tyr, visit Supes before his trial to offer an escape. Superman faced death for treason because he would not carry out an order to kill a vilian.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-01-20.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-02-14.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-03-11.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-07-1.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-08-2.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-09-2.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-10-3.jpg

These scans are from Superman: World Of New Krypton #7

Here we see Superman uncover the deception of his friend Tyr. Supes realized this despite: just losing his father, uncle, General Zod's assassination attempt, flying back and forth from New Krypton and Earth to uncover who is pushing the planets towards war, etc. The scans show that Superman has great perception and powers of deduction.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-12-1.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-13-1.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/DC/DC%20Scans/th_Untitled-Scanned-15.jpg

Kris Blaze
No i didn't.

Yes, yes you did.

My point was never that he built the fortress of solitude no expression

Badabing
Yes, yes you did. No he didn't. ahuh

biscuits

superman1978
He is an alien so I would assume he is very intelligent and smarter than the human Batman. His parent did put him in a spaceship that traveled light years to earth, I don't think Batman can do the same. cool

zeel
superman is a genius.

roughrider
Superman is smart because he knows many things - languages, sciences. He's not a scientific pioneer like Reed Richards or Tony Stark, but his knowledge of Kryptonian tech gives him a certain edge.
Being smart doesn't necessarily make you wise, though (Reed Richards isn't, really.) That's why Batman compliments him so well. His coldly analytical approach makes him a better strategist, to offset Superman's overly optimistic approach to things; a necessary thing at times.

Put their two brains together though, and you would get Captain America.

Cogito
is considered by most to be a scientific mind on par with his own father...

And AC #3 has acknowledged Jor-El as an 8th level genius, ergo Superman is an 8th level(ish) genius

JakeTheBank
He's pretty damn smart and well learned by most standards. I really liked "For Tomorrow" in terms of how it displayed his intellect. Only problem is if writers further develop his intelligence and make him a bonafide supergenius, which he arguably is already, it makes his primary foil, Lex Luthor, far less threatening.

basilisk
This smart:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=11161601

bogert
Plenty to say about Spider man's smartness..But In short he is an Intelligent,Smart and a sharp character smile

zoom3
Well, in some versions, he's pretty smart. but in others, he's got regular intellegence.

thepersuader

How smart is Superman?

This is a tad off topic but i wanted to know if the persuader could kill superman if he hit him full force with the atomic axe. It is said to be able to cut through anything. Lets say he catches superman off guard and aims for his neck, decapitation?

TheOneFirestorm
He was able to move in a away from Darkseids omega beams then have them hit Darkseid.

Dolos
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
smarter then batman shifty

He actually is. Batman has an IQ of what, 210? Genetically speaking, Superman is millions of years ahead of Batman in the brain department.

However, intelligence is fluid. What makes Batman better is that he makes more use of his 210 IQ whilst flowing it from one area of expertise to another with peak-human efficiency. See Sherlock Holmes.

Superman is lazier with his mind than Batman, and Batman is obsessed with perfection to the edge of insanity.

The Joker suffers from super-sanity, making him the most insane character in comic-dom. Which is why he is Batman's deadliest and most feared enemy, he's daffy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.