Grand Admiral Thrawn and Zahn's Trilogy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChakraStrings
I'm currently reading the "Star Wars" trilogy by Timothy Zahn (That'd be: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) I've gotten to just about the end of the second book.

A certain character, Grand Admiral Thrawn, has crossed my path. At first, I hated him, I didn't like the character and his stupid " I know all " sort of thing. He had the sense and ability of, say, well a Jedi. While I understand Grand Admirals in the Imperial army were of a high caliber and breed - and certainly smart in their tactics, I found it outrageous the sort of connections he'd make.

However, I've come to realise I love the guy. The things I hated, the intiuation, and wisdom and thought and logic, after examining it makes sense and is incredible.

Your thoughts on this character or anything relating to Zahn's trilogy?

xxxpoppunker182
I recommend that trilogy to anyone who wants to start reading star wars books.

Thrawn is one of my all time favorite characters

Lord Lucien
I was lucky to have started SW books at the Thrawn Trilogy. Got me hooked.

So it really pissed me off when my high expectations of the rest of the novels didn't pay off. I'm looking at you NJO and Crystal Star.

Captain REX
I've read Heir to the Empire which, as Lord Lucien said, gave me high expectations.

Pyron_Knight
I know the Thrawn Trilogy was one of the first SW books I read but I think I started with the Jedi Apprentice series. Ya know the kid's books chronicling a young Obi-Wan.

Overall it was awesome. There is actually an audio version and a comic but I only read the novels.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
the Thrawn trilogy is a great read - the best SW books there is, IMHO.

Nactous
Originally posted by ChakraStrings
Your thoughts on this character or anything relating to Zahn's trilogy?
A joke to just about everything Star Wars. My least favorite Star Wars author by far.

Captain REX
...how is Zahn's trilogy a joke?

xxxpoppunker182
Ya really Zahn created some awesome Characters in the SW universe you got mara, thrawn, and palleon. those 3 characters are some of the better ones in the novels.

ChakraStrings
Originally posted by Nactous
A joke to just about everything Star Wars. My least favorite Star Wars author by far.

Really? I find the way he writes actually interesting - and his plots seem good enough what with the Dark Force and what not.

A part I didn't quite like was how Leia was able to fluently understand Chewie so quickly, but that's me personally.

Barringer
Zahn and Stover are probably my favorite authors but I have to admit I don't like how Zahn's progressively turned Mara Jade into a Mary Sue in his novels. Look at his last one, Allegiance. I liked what he did with Thrawn in Outbound Flight, though.

Nactous
Don't even get me started; from planet teardrop, to the cloned "Jedi" and clones of that damn giant smurf, and his desire to somehow always find a way to include his own characters in almost everything he writes. Ugh, I cant stand that man or anything he adds to Star Wars.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
Ya really Zahn created some awesome Characters in the SW universe you got mara, thrawn, and palleon. those 3 characters are some of the better ones in the novels.

Mara Jade is a great character... However, though Zahn created her she wasn't even a good character untill other writers took her over.

And lets not even get started on Planet Teardrop, his refusal to let that fool character Thrawn die (hell, he told me himself that if he wrote another star wars book he would bring back Thrawn again.)

... Luuke

Oh... and lets not mention that the man is an arrogant ass-hole who thinks he is God's gift to Star Wars.

Oh, and speaking of Zahn, Nac. Are you ever going to get that picture back to me?

Nactous
one day

Barringer
Well, when you guys put it that way...

I suppose I'm just fond of the way he writes, but I agree he overuses his own pet characters.

THE JLRTENJAC
His writing feels... childish... to me.

Originally posted by Nactous
one day

That's what you've been saying for the last couple of years, ya slacker. stick out tongue

Lord Lucien
I never read the Thrawn duology. Did he actually do all that? Maybe his trilogy was a one-shot gem.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I never read the Thrawn duology. Did he actually do all that? Maybe his trilogy was a one-shot gem.

hm. Maybe - interesting.

As much as I like Thrawn, I hate overused characters (depends, though) and overused plots.

I have the e-books of the rest of Zahn's stuff, after I finish the two special edition (deception and that other thing..) Jedi Apprentice books I've grabbed I'll start on those.

I hope that it would still be a good read, though.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

His trilogy was... ok... everything else was pathetic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.